main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Events The Official Fan Art Challenge Version 4.0 - Summer challenge topics now posted!

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by HanSolo29 , Mar 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Hello all,

Due to popular demand, the Official Fan Art Challenge is back with new features and ideas. The main idea of the challenge is not to be a contest to beat out your fellow artists, but an outlet in which we can all grow and explore new ideas and possibilities together. So, here we go...

What is the Official Fan Art Challenge?

A place for artists and fans alike to participate in quarterly themed drawing exercises.

Who can participate?

The challenge is open to anyone and all skill levels. It doesn't matter if you can paint like Picasso or you can only draw a simple stick figure, you're more than welcomed to participate.

How does the challenge work?

Every quarter(Fall;September-November, Winter;December-February, Spring;March-May, Summer;June-August), I will post a series of topics or themes. You can focus on one, gradually work your way through all of them or combine them to come up with something totally new. Any medium is accepted and as I said above, all skill levels are welcomed. You are free to submit a simple sketch or a finished piece of art. The idea is to pick the topic/theme of your choosing and be creative.

Something that will be different about this version of the challenge is the inclusion of other genres of fan art and the opportunity to post original pieces of art. I don't want you to be limited by Star Wars. The idea is to open yourself up to new avenues and explore ideas that you normally wouldn't pursue. Try something totally different and push yourself in new directions. You may be surprised by the results. If you normally work in a realistic style, try something more abstract or cartoony. Experiment with a new medium and for those who have never picked up a pencil before, now is the time to give it a try and start exploring.

Where should I post my challenge entries?

Right here to this thread. I want to keep all the entries in one place, but as always, you're more than welcomed to post them to your individual threads as well.

Are critiques allowed?

The short answer is yes. Let's remember to keep things within the TOS and to keep things positive and constructive. Critiques are meant to help an artist, not tear into them like there is no tomorrow.

How will voting work?

At the end of each quarter, all the entries will be gathered together and voted on by your peers. This is not meant to be a serious contest, but a way to give back to the community for all the time and effort you put into this place. The entry with the highest amount of hits at the end of the voting period will be awarded colors and a title for a week.

If you have any questions or would like to suggest a topic for a future challenge, please don't hesitate to shoot me a PM!

[color=red][u][b]Summer Fan Art Challenge topics:[/b][/u][/color]

1. [b]Obi-Wan Kenobi[/b]

2. [b]Soldier & Child[/b]

3. [b]Hot & Cold[/b]

[color=red][b]Due Date:[/b][/color] September 1st

2. AzureAngel2

AzureAngel2 Chosen One star 6

Jun 14, 2005

Oh great. I think I already have a piece for 2.
    Past and future

One eye of Vader looks into the past (Padmé) and the other one into the future (his twins).

[image=http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n2/AzureAngel2_2006/SW%20pictures/P3020100.jpg]

I need to make a proper foto of the painting though, which is difficult with a canvas stretcher that is 90 x 120 cm and already hanging 2 meters high at the wall.

Or this one here. The past (the PT) transforms into the future (the OT):

[image=http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n2/AzureAngel2_2006/SW%20pictures/PC260010.jpg]

For the other 2 subjects I can offer this one for 1. Creatures:

[image=http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n2/AzureAngel2_2006/SW%20pictures/P1110068.jpg]

Or that one:

[image=http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n2/AzureAngel2_2006/SW%20pictures/P1100049-1.jpg]

And that one for 3. Flowers & Rain:

[image=http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n2/AzureAngel2_2006/SW%20pictures/P2040097.jpg]

There are truely a lot of flowers and later on in that particular love story there will be much rain in form of Padmé´s tears. I hope that is okay.

If not I can also offer this one, because Daboah has a lot of rain & mist to offer. And there are flowers in the hair of Padmé:

[image=http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n2/AzureAngel2_2006/SW%20pictures/P2070039.jpg]

3. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Those look great, Azure, thanks! :)

Just keep in mind that the challenge is meant to be a learning exercise. Each topic is meant to inspire a new piece of art, not something that you have already done. It's a way to "challenge" yourself into coming up with something new. It doesn't need to be a finished piece or anything like that. A simple doodle or sketch will do, but the main idea here is to expand your horizons and experiment. :)

4. AzureAngel2

Jun 14, 2005
    Okay, then I come up with something totally new as long as I still have the time to do so. A teacher only has time when being on holidays, ill or... [face_frustrated]... unemployed.

5. Ceillean

Ceillean Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 13, 2001
    I finished! At least with one of the topics.

I chose Past & Future and used Mara Jade.

[image=http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r296/Ceillean/MaraPastandFuture040.jpg]

I know the eye on the left side is drawn to high compared to the skull on the right but I was way too lazy to correct that.

6. Saith_Vaapar

Saith_Vaapar Jedi Master star 1

Jun 30, 2005
    Hi HanSolo29,
    What do you mean by thé gloser and thé rain ? Something like sadness and happiness ?

7. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    Thanks for the entry, Ceillean! That looks great! That's exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for! :)

Saith the topic is flowers and rain. It was something to start thinking Spring. Basically, I'm looking for anything that incorporates raindrops and/or flowers in a sketch or drawing.

8. Saith_Vaapar

Saith_Vaapar Jedi Master star 1

Jun 30, 2005
    This is still work in progress but I'm working on a piece about a vision of the future that appeared to Ben and Luke while looking in the pool of knowledge (or something like that) in the Fate of the jedi series. It's a window into the future that links to the past, so I would like to submit it for the Past & future category.

Jedi Queen Allana Djo
    [image=http://th01.deviantart.net/fs70/150/f/2011/076/6/7/jedi_queen_allana_djo_by_saith100-d3bv3i6.jpg]
    See full image

When I'll have time I'll add an adult Ben (I'm working on him right now) and then the jedi friends also present in the vision.

Do the winner still get an avatar out of his piece ? That was what I used to think as the most exiting part of winning (I did win one time but that was before that feature was added and it seems like it's gone again :( )

9. Evil Incarnate

Evil Incarnate Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 18, 2003
    For the Flowers and Rain category, I give you...

Rainflower
    [image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v713/WigginsTheBurninator/Rainflower.gif]

:)

Yes, the .gif animation was a necessity, I wanted to play with rain effects. :p

Evil.

10. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    Those look great everyone! Keep it up! :)

I've been trying to come up with an idea to make that work. At the moment, there's a rule in place prohibiting any kind of non-SW image as an icon. Now that we opened up the Fan Art Challenge to all genres, that becomes a problem. If a piece of non-Star Wars art wins the challenge, I'm not sure how that will go over unless we add a Star Wars element to the image somehow(in most cases, that will probably ruin the image). I can talk to Nat about it or we can come up with something else to tide us over.

11. Evil Incarnate

Aug 18, 2003
    I can turn anything into a Chiss if the artist doesn't mind. :) Heck, I could even make the Icon for the winner. :p

Evil.

12. Iverna

Iverna Jedi Master star 4

Feb 20, 2008
    Well, I mean, you could leave the avatar prize for just Star Wars pieces. It's a Star Wars forum after all and I guess it's a way of keeping the focus on Star Wars stuff as well?

Personally, I wouldn't mind that... if I knew about it up-front, and submitted a non-SW piece for a challenge, I'd be fine with it if it wasn't made into an avatar.

I can't actually remember what else you get for winning, if anything? Colours? Or was that something else?

Or we could make web badges or something, for winners? I've done that before, for a different community. Just a little graphic with the winner's name and what they won, and people could display them in their profiles. On deviantART, for a lot of competitions, one of the prizes is a "stamp" with the drawing. So we could do something like that? Like a badge with "2011 Spring Fan Art Challenge Winner", the name, and the drawing incorporated somehow?

But yeah, I wouldn't mind if only SW pieces got the avatar treatment for winning, as it were. It makes sense to me.

13. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    At the moment, the winner receives colors and a title for a week. I would really like to keep the icon as well and I have no issues doing what Iverna suggested with keeping it solely for SW pieces. I understand that there could be some hurt feelings, but I think if we stick a disclaimer in the first post, we should be alright.

With that said, is everyone okay with keeping the icon solely for SW pieces?

EDIT: Sorry, just saw this other part to your post. :p

That's actually an interesting idea. I would be okay with a badge or something like that, but with our system, where would they display it? Obviously, images can't be displayed in signatures, so would it be something that would work within a user's profile?

14. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    For the creatures I have painted this:

The husan is a native species on Moniron I have introduced years ago in my stories (like a horse but with a very long lifespan)

[image=http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk124/earlybird-obi-wan/arandi3.jpg]

15. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    Giving this a bump! Just a little over a week left to get your entries in for this round! :)

16. Corellian_Outrider

Corellian_Outrider Former FanForce Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 9, 2002
    I hope to have something in time. I had hit a setback when my intended one became lost.

17. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    Hm. Wish I had seen this topic earlier, I would have worked on something. Ah well, I can at the very least repurpose an image for "Creatures."

[image=http://img716.imageshack.us/img716/4030/yavin4battle.jpg]

[image=http://img804.imageshack.us/img804/2829/pepanshandiwork.jpg]

Mutated Massassi and murderous Kubaz count as "creatures," right? If not, then I'll just wait for the next challenge.

18. AricaBolts

AricaBolts Jedi Knight star 1

May 20, 2011
    HanSolo29: I have a Question, is this contest only for hand drawing:confused: ? I'm not very good at that and I've done quite a few things that might fit into the category's using a Photo Shop like program[face_thinking] .

To all who entered: WOW, all of the drawing's look amazing![:D]

Arica

God Bless the USA [face_flag] and a galaxy far far away!

19. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    Hey there, AricaBolts

Very good question! No, we don't only accept traditional(hand-drawn) pieces of art. We accept pretty much anything(traditional, digital, photo-manips, etc) as long as it stays within the TOS. Just be sure to post your entry here so that it will count for the contest! If you have any other questions, let me know! :)

20. Corellian_Outrider

Corellian_Outrider Former FanForce Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 9, 2002
    I'm afraid my piece won't be completed in time. Work and assessments are cutting into my time. :(

I do have my entry from the previous challenge which I understand will be included, so I still be present.

21. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    New topics have been posted!

And just a few reminders after last round:

The idea of the challenge is to come up with new pieces of artwork - not to use already existing pieces that you can just slap into this thread. The whole point is to rattle your brain a bit and to be creative. All entries must be created new for this challenge.

The three different topics are designed to be stretched over three months. Take each numbered topic as a separate challenge. In the case where there are two words per number(ex. hot & cold), feel free to just do one or the other or combine them into one image. When you post your image, please remember to specify which topic your image is in response to. You can also do the topics in any order you wish. You don't have to go in numerical order. You can also pick and choose. Please don't feel obligated to do each and every topic posted. If something strikes you with inspiration, go for it! The choice is up to you, but remember to have fun!

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask! :)

22. Evil Incarnate

Aug 18, 2003
    I think I'll throw this in the Soldier category as I finished it literally the day before the challenge was posted, and I may not have the time to do another. :)

Evil.

23. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    For soldier and child and Obi-Wan Kenobi I was inspired to draw this

[image=http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk124/earlybird-obi-wan/forcenetart/refugees.jpg]

Refugees

24. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    Couldn't resist to make another drawing of Obi-Wan

[image=http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk124/earlybird-obi-wan/forcenetart/obiwanzwrots.jpg]

25. AzureAngel2

Jun 14, 2005
    Doing soldiers, I see. Well, yesterday I was able to paint something for the first time since March again. I already have an idea for MsLanna/ Etain...

How much time do we have again, Han?

I will have a long summer in front of me, not really able to afford holidays and job hunting AGAIN. Hate those time contracts for beginning teachers. So I think I can lose some steam through painting.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.