main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The **Official** Fate of Padme Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by ObiMcD, Aug 26, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ObiMcD

ObiMcD Jedi Master star 4

Jul 31, 2000
    I was wondering today about the death of padme, then i saw a post somewhere that was a really cool idea. Padme dies because of Palpatine and his force lightning, Vader stands by and does nothing and then he has a flashback in Ep. 6 and can't let him kill another loved one, what are your ideas???

This thread has now been designated as the *Official* Fate of Padme thread for this forum. In order to keep the discussion in a concentrated area, this will be the thread in which all aspects of "the fate of Padme" will be discussed. Thank you for your cooperation! :)

Here are some of the threads which had to be (unfortunately) locked in order to streamline the discussion. There is very good speculation in each of these threads so I encourage all of you to read these them, and bring aspects of their discussions here! :)

A line from RotJ...is this a reason why Palpatine wanted Padmé dead?

What if...Padmé marries Bail Organa?

Episode III:padme

2. emilsson

emilsson Force Ghost star 6

Oct 5, 1998
    While it would be an emotional scenario I believe Palpatine won't kill Padmé. She will survive epIII and die some time between that movie and ANH, probably very early. At least that's what I gather from the ROTJ novel and Leia's lines.

3. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    I don't want to see Padme die. I agree that it would be very dramatic to let Palpy kill her, but it is more tragic just to let her disappear.

4. ObiMcD

Jul 31, 2000
    But wouldn't you be disappointed if her fate was uncertain after all the films are done and all six movies still leave some holes. I mean after waiting this long i want to know everything and exactly what happens.

5. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    Not necessarily. She's a strong and influential character, and it would be very tragic to have her just fade away when she ceased to be a part of Anakin's life. After all, the trilogy is really about Anakin.

6. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    I agree with you Mara, knowing that she died when Leia was still very young is quite enough for me.

7. renegade_princess

renegade_princess Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 17, 2000
    i think palapatine is more likely to kill shmi (anakin's mum) than padme..

8. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    But why should he kill Shmi, as far as I know she isn't exactly a threat to him.

9. Queenie Amidala

Queenie Amidala Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 7, 2000
    I think that the questions of Padme's death will be answered by the end of EP III. I don't think that her death will just happen between III & ANH because I believe that all ends will be tied up and all questions will be answered in III. The purpose of the prequels is to fill us in with everything in the backstory to the OT. I think that Padme's death is a significant event that must be covered in order to complete the PT.

10. ObiMcD

Jul 31, 2000
    I totally agree!!

11. emilsson

emilsson Force Ghost star 6

Oct 5, 1998
    All answers do not have to be answered, especially if the order of viewing is 1,2,3,4,5 and 6. Now that is debatable but if that is the case then Pamdé's fate will be revealed in ROTJ. Me, I just think some part are best left to our imagination.

Palpatine could arrange Shmi's death, knowing what it would do to Anakin. But I can't see him do it himself and I don't think it's likely to happen. Then again, who knows?

12. Queenie Amidala

May 7, 2000
    Well, I agree that some things are best left to our imaginations, but I don't think that Padme's death is one of them. I think it is too big and important plot wise to leave out. Sure, it was sufficient in the OT because she wasn't an existing character in those movies. In the PT, however, she is one of the main characters. GL can't just end it and have her off somewhere & we don't know what happens to her until Leia talks briefly about her in ROTJ. It's way too open for such a character. That's part of the mystery that has to be answered. Many people talk about how the explanations of many things in TPM have ruined the mystery of them in the OT. I heartily disagree. IMO, the main purpose for having this PT in the first place is to explain all these things, to tell where they came from and what happened to lead up to ANH and beyond. If all of these things were just left unanswered, then it wouldn't be a backstory explaining what happened. It would just be a different story that didn't really tie into the original one.

13. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    Why should everything be explained? One of the best thing with SW is everything that's unexplained, and therefore leaves it up to you imagination. That's why I love SW and that's why I don't want to see Padme die.

14. yodaman

yodaman Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 26, 1999
    I'm sorry Queenie but I'm going to have to side with emilsson and Ms. Mara on this one. (What the......?!!!!!)

Anyways, I think Padme's ultimate fate won't be left unanswered. I think from the way episode III ends we're supposed to believe that she will live the rest of her life as a sad and broken woman. In a way, it's even more tragic to see her fall into such a destitute condition rather than just be killed off. She just fades into oblivion and sadness and it will probably be more than obvious that she'll never come back from it. ROTJ will only confirm what we were led to believe. I don't think it's necessary to have every major character in the prequel trilogy die in order to tie up loose ends. We just already know that they are confined to a fate of suffering and eventual death.

15. Queenie Amidala

May 7, 2000
    No, don't get me wrong. I didn't mean that everything had to be explained. I just think that major plot points will be answered to lead us into the OT. I, too, think that some things should be left to our imaginations. Imagination is what SW is all about. I just don't think that it can all be left to imagination b/c much of it has to, and will, be answered in the PT.

Your point is well seen, yodaman. I can see how that would work & it opened up my idea on Padme's fate a little more. But I still feel that we will know more of what happens to her by the end of III. I, personally, would not be satisfied just assuming that she died & then discovering it in ROTJ.

Another reason that I feel GL will lead us to know more about her fate by the end of III is the briefness of the mentioning of her in ROTJ. There is no detail, no real explanation, as to what happens to Padme. I honestly don't believe that GL will leave it to that little description Leia gave.

16. Jedi Eowyn

Jedi Eowyn Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 28, 1999
    As has been already pointed out, there are good cases both for Padme's death & for her living but suffering from the knowledge of what has happened. :*(

My guess is that Shmi will have one fate and Padme the other. My guess that the death of Shmi and the ongoing suffering of Padme would be more affective, and so that is what I guess would happen.

17. Garindan-LongSnoot

Garindan-LongSnoot Jedi Youngling

Aug 27, 2000
    I'm new here, so go easy on me.

I don't think we'll see Amidala die onscreen in III. No matter how dark George says it will be, I think he'd consider that, out of everything else that happens, going to far. Think about it - no other major "good" character has died in any of the films (except Vader - but that was noble/redemptive end), nor are any other major characters in the prequels likely to die, except maybe Mace Windu (I doubt Jar Jar will). Amidala's death will be strongly foreshadowed, so audiences will know what is coming, that way keeping the tragedy without having to actually show her death.

Her character in Episode III is the only one who is truly undeserving of their fate. Anakin makes his own choices, the Jedi (Obi-Wan and Yoda) will play their own part in his downfall. Her betrayal at the hands of her husband (forced into hiding, never to see her son again) seems likely to be the cruelest fate of them all. I think Lucas will go a little "easy" on her, and the audience.

18. Ice Jedi

Ice Jedi Jedi Master star 3

Jun 3, 2000
    I have said this a million times and I'll say it again. I truely think Padme will die. I think Obi wan will be on his way to Naboo for some reason or another, and find her dead or she will die shortly after (neither on camera). There will be evidance pointing right at Obi-wan. THis will anger anakin. (IMO)

On the topic of Shimi (sp?) I think anakin will go back to free all the slaves on Tatooine and discover his mom died earler that year. shortly after the Padme insidant will hit him. Two things of bad news will definatly through him over the edge! (IMO)

Though a lot of STAR WARS is left to the imagination, i don't think GL will leave Padmes fate so wide open as to end it with her alive some where. (IMO)

19. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    Maybe Padme's fate wont be totally unknowed. I think we will see her go to Alderaan with Bail and Leia, there we will see how she becomes a shadow of her "queen identity", but I still don't believe that we will see her die.

20. ObiMcD

Jul 31, 2000
    Thanks for all your opinions, this is getting to be a pretty big thread, at least for one started by me, so keep sending your thoughts and comments on this very open topic. May the taco meat be with you!

21. yodaman

yodaman Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 26, 1999
    Like I said, having Padme staying alive doesn't necessarily mean that her fate's wide open. Killing someone isn't the only means of closure. It isn't necessary and the fact that it isn't necessary means that it makes more sense for Lucas to keep continuity by keeping her alive.

22. hew

hew Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 1999
    "I truely think Padme will die. I think Obi wan will be on his way to Naboo for some reason or another, and find her dead or she will die shortly after (neither on camera). There will be evidance pointing right at Obi-wan. THis will anger anakin."

But this wouldn't work, Ice Jedi, according to what we know from the OT. Leia remembers Amidala. This would mean that Amidala would have to live long enough to take Leia into hiding on Alderaan. I don't buy the argument that because she's a Jedi she can remember back when she was a baby, or that the woman she remembers is only her adopted mother. The fact that Leia is telling Luke about their "real" mother is what is supposed to give the scene its poignancy. Having her reveal memories about some stranger would only cheapen that scene in ROTJ.

Lucas has said in the Annotated Screenplays that his original plan/idea involved Amidala taking Leia into hiding on Alderaan. She dies sometime thereafter, and the Organas adopt Leai. I believe this is how it will still play out. Lucas might foreshadow her death or make her ill before she takes off into hiding. The rest would be easily deduced from the info. given about Leia in the OT.

23. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    That's my point exactly, hew!

24. ObiMcD

Jul 31, 2000
  25. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    We don't need to see Amidala die. We don't even need foreshadowing of how it's going to happen. hew's right, the OT already says all we need to know. Think how much the poignancy of that scene would be weakened if GL had to include some cheap-effects way of killing Amidala in E3. It's much stronger to leave these kinds of things to the viewer's imagination.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.