main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Official Force Commander Hints & Tips Thread..

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by BobaNet, Mar 22, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ATATzsinj

ATATzsinj Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 11, 2000
    I'm nowhere near that level, but I would advise jumping on the AT-PTs first with the hovertank. It has shields, so I imagine you can recharge them.

Do you have any troops? You could then sacrifice the hovertank in taking out the turrets while your troopers storm the Imp command centre.

2. BobaNet

BobaNet Jedi Youngling

Mar 17, 2000
    Hmm.. any final observations eh? Well, there's nothing really to tell. And as for a favorite level, I'm rather partial to them all. I love the one's that are HARD and most of them seemed to be that way.. for me anyway. I think the first time I had command of the AT-AT's.. I well, umm.. shuttered. Anyway, the game is one of the best I have played in quite awhile. I hope an extra missions expansion pack comes out soon.

3. Roy_Starkiller

Roy_Starkiller Jedi Youngling

Jan 9, 2000
    WampaTaunTaun,
    From my experience with games (not with FC, I still haven't played it) when you are outnumbered, you have to outmanuever/ outthink your opponent. In this case, what was said earlier about taking out the AT-PT's sounds like a very good idea. If you can, just take them out 1-2 at a time. The less nonshield damage they do to you, the better.

According to ign.com's Force Commander guide,
    "When you reach the Shipyard, be cautious. There is an Imperial Probe Droid behind a tower. If it detects you, it will call in TIE fighters to make your life difficult.
    Take it out quickly with some troopers, and then unload the pilots next to each A-Wing. Send troopers into the central complex, and then get ready for an attack.

Imperials will attack soon with everything they have, from small tanks to AT-ATs. You can use infiltrator troops to attempt to take over the walkers, which will definitely help turn the battle in your favor. If you choose not to try that, you can call down some Attack Tanks and unload some missiles at them before they hit the Shipyard."

Hope that helps.

4. Insane Anakin

Insane Anakin Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 12, 1999
    The IGN Force Commander Strategy Guide rocks! Very thorough.

5. Insane Anakin

Nov 12, 1999
    Can somebody tell me if this http://guides.ign.com/guides/3732/link works? I think you have to register with IGN first. (blackmail)

6. Darth Saber

Darth Saber Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 29, 1999
    It works. But, I am registered .

7. stormtripper2000

stormtripper2000 Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 31, 1999
    OK here are some tips on Rull Pt. 2. Go East after buliding as many heavy troopers as possible. I had about 15 after defeating the first wave. Pick up any friendlies along the way. You will be hit by one force of about 6 stormies and 2 ATPTs and 2 ATSTs before you get to the first Imp base. After defeating them you should have a few troopers and friendlies left. Order more heavy troopers and pick up a few more friendlies near the Imp base. Send the troopers at the turrets from a few angles. the base only has 1 ATPT and a few troopers. Take the turrets then storm the base. Be wary though because as you attack the base another group of ATSTs and ATPTs will arrive. You should be able to handle them with the turrets and left over troopers.
    That will be the last of the scout troops. Build up your command points, order several groups of heavies then head for the next base. Take that base the same way, build more troops, then head to the commcenter. Leave plenty of troops at base 2 and the commcenter as they will be hit again by a barrage of Imps while you try to hold the base for 4 minutes. You shouldn't have a problem though. The toughest part of this level is getting to the first base. Once you capture that it isn't too difficult.

Walker gambit: This is the first mission I beat on the first try. You need to go all the way west (you will encounter some mobile artillery and ATSTs - use Y-wings to take these out). Then stay along the west border then go all the way south. Then stay along the south border and go all the way east. Oh, be sure to send the infiltrators. You will encounter no resistance after the first line of defense. You can then go north and take over the ATATs. Sned at least 6 infiltrators (2 per ATAT). Then walk the ATATs back to the base north west. Take out the anti air turrets with the walkers then use the Y-wings to clear out any other resistance.

Good luck!

8. WampaTaunTaun

WampaTaunTaun Jedi Youngling

Nov 26, 1999
    Thanks Roy Starkiller. I actually finished the level Friday. I ended up basically hiding and manuevering between the imperials and avoiding contact. Then I made a run for the spaceport. Once I had it I called down hovertanks and attack tanks. The hovertanks took out the Ties and then the probe droids. I then set up a small defense for the imperial attack. After I called more attack tanks down I took a very slow process of using the missles to take out the heavy artillery and then an advance on the command centers using swoop bikes as scouts.

[This message has been edited by WampaTaunTaun (edited 04-24-2000).]

9. ATATzsinj

Mar 11, 2000
  10. Roy_Starkiller

Jan 9, 2000
    Your very welcome WampaTaunTaun.

I have to agree that the strat guide is very comprehensive. In fact, the only reason I signed up for an IGN account, is because of the FC guide. Maybe one of these days, I'll be able to actually play the game...

11. Darth Saber

Sep 29, 1999
    Roy: Man you really wanna play Force Commander! I wish you lived close to me, I would let you use my computer anytime you want to! I hope you do get to play the game. It rocks!

P.S.: I guess I'm pretty sorry at FC, because I am still on Return to Ruul, Part 2 for about a week now. I haven't played that often, but can anyone tell me how to make all of your Heavy Troopers Grenade something. Even when I select a group of them, only the leader fires. Thanks.

12. ATATzsinj

Mar 11, 2000
    I'm on Hoth now (sorry about the blank post back there, my browser must have mucked up). Could someone tell me how to take out the speeders - they just keep picking off my walkers?

[This message has been edited by ATATzsinj (edited 04-26-2000).]

13. EEMeltonIV

EEMeltonIV Jedi Master star 1

May 23, 1999
    Hooah, Darth Saber. My only real gripe with FC is the inability to tell a group to use their secondary fire feature.

14. Insane Anakin

Nov 12, 1999
    In response to ATATzsinj's question about Hoth. Click on one of your AT-ATs, press T, and then use the chin gun to pick off the speeders. Or, the easier method. If you have a saved game from Yavin IV, the previous mission, and call down 4 AT-AAs. (Anti-Air) Then, for Hoth, you'll have the maximum amount of air support available. (4 AT-AAs is the most you can bring) Remember, use the chin guns. Hoth is the easiest mission in the game using this semi-strategy.

15. Darth Saber

Sep 29, 1999
    I have to disagree with you there, Anakin. I think Walker Gambit, Part I is the easiest. I blew up the Imperial Command Center with a captured turret, when a walker came in to destroy me, I infiltrated it. I waited a while in the Captured Turret. When another walker came in, I infiltrated that too. This mission took me about 10 minutes to beat. That's if you don't want to complete the secondary objectives.

Any help for Walker Gambit, Part 2?

16. PreacherBoy

PreacherBoy Jedi Youngling star 5

Aug 3, 1998
    Some of you are awfully slow game players if it has taken you two weeks straight to get to levels 8. I've played a total of 12 hours and I'm already at that Massacre level.

Insane Anakin and the fact that DSL is being slow is why I'm playing more than I did when I got it. [DSL slow = less Counter-Strike]

17. WampaTaunTaun

Nov 26, 1999
    Well I think I'm almost finished with Force Commander. I'm on Siege of Coruscant Pt3. There are at least 5 Imperial command centers so this one is taking some serious time. Tomorrow may be the day...

18. Roy_Starkiller

Jan 9, 2000
    Well, after hearing you guys talking about how far you are, I really hope Lucasarts decides to release an expansion pack of some kind.
    Question: Have you found that scirmishs are difficult with more than 1 computer opponent? I ask because I remember people saying in another "Official Force Commander Thread" that the computer attacked very fast, and they didn't have an adequate amount of time to react. I was just wondering if this was still the case, after you have had some time to play the game, and get used to it.

19. Darth Saber

Sep 29, 1999
    Preacher Boy:

I am sorry that I am only on Walker Gambit, Part 1. I do have a life, and I am in college. Try getting as far as I am with about 6 hours of schoolwork a day. Mid-terms, Finals, work, it adds up. I would be finished with the game if I stayed at home and used my computer all day like you .

Darth Saber

20. WampaTaunTaun

Nov 26, 1999
    SUCCESS!!! I finally completed Force Commander. It's nice that there are still skirmishes etc. that allow you to continue playing even after the game's over. I'd like to see an expansion pack though.

21. ATATzsinj

Mar 11, 2000
    On Endor, what does destroy all life..."designated area" mean? What is the designated area?

22. Neeja Halycon

Neeja Halycon Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 11, 2000
    Ok, I was wondering how you take out that nasty bunch of heavy troopers and hover tanks in the middle of Sarapin 1?

23. Darth Saber

Sep 29, 1999
    ATATzsinj:

Destroy all life in the "designated area" means destroy all the Ewoks in the spot the Empire is goin to use for the Shield Generator. It will appear Green on the Screen, and a couple of AT-St's will do the trick.

Neeja Halcyon:

To take out the heaviy troopers and Hoover Tanks, you must first build up your base and mass a great attack force. Then pummel them like you do in all missions. First wait for the attacks to subsist before you go on the offensive.

24. ATATzsinj

Mar 11, 2000
    I first captured the command centre on Sarapin. It's right beside (north) the huge hovertank buildup, Neeja Haljcon.

Then (short of c points) I just kept ordering 1 or 2 AT-STs and going in there and doing a little bit of damage. I went on like this for ages and ages until they were all just wiped out.

IMPORTANT: DO NOT capture the energy collector until you've got rid of every single hovertank. Otherwise they will pound it into dust.

Once this was done, I headed west from the captured c centre and then south along the western edge of the map. I kept sending squads of 2-3 AT-STs and 1 AT-AA to take the airfield, then sent in a force to capture the c centre.

Hope this helps! Sarapin 1 isn't that hard, it's just very long.

For Sarapin 2, try to take your time even though you have to keep within the limits of the timer. I spent the first 3 wedges reinforcing my base, then spent up to halfway on the timer destroying the airfield at the back of the volcano. Send a squad of 4 AT-ST and 4 AT-AA to spot for you and keep the speeders at bay while a couple of Mobile Artillery pound the airfield.

Then send a heavy AT-ST force up to the top of the volcano destroying everything in its path. (Some people would use TIEs for this, but I don't think its worth the points building the air control and landing platform). Then send 2-3 full troop cars up to the drill, one of them with Dellis in. Storm the drill and put big D in.

Then just artillery the base between two volcanoes in the NE.

25. ATATzsinj

Mar 11, 2000
    How do you keep that darn com centre defended in abridon pt 2?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.