main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Official "I'm worried about Yoda" Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by Gry Sarth, Nov 5, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    Yes I have now seen the Mystery trailer and Yoda looks fantastic. Wow he looks so much better than in the Breathing teaser. Really really good. Even my roommate was like DAMN Yoda looks really good. My worries are now gone!

2. XackAttack

XackAttack Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 2, 2001
    I like the CG Yoda......

3. jedieb

jedieb Jedi Master star 1

Aug 6, 2001
    Those photos put together by Gry are a great visual aid for this thread, nice work Gry. I have to say that I thought that close up shot of Yoda was a puppet. No, it doesn't look the same as TPM, but then again, all of the films with Yoda have a different look to them. Have we forgotten they went from 70's mop tops and side burns to 80's supercuts in ROTJ? If the human characters look different then why shouldn't Yoda change a bit from film to film?

Personally, I like the ESB Yoda the best. But my Empire bias is probably coloring my judgement. The only CGI shot in the Waiting trailer that I had problems with was the one of him walking. It looked better than the shot at the end of TPM, but it still looked like a computer generated image clunking along the screen. I figure that AOTC's CGI Yoda will look better than TPM's and EP3's will be the best of them all. Regardless, I think we're getting the best CGI Yoda POSSIBLE at this time and that's good enough for me. While a puppet may look more realistic, it limits the story GL wants to tell. The only way to get a fighting Yoda is to have a CGI Yoda. So I say bring it on and let Yoda kick some ass!

4. Gry Sarth

Gry Sarth Ex 2x Banhammer Wielding Besalisk Mod star 5

Jun 24, 1999
    Just saw the Mistery trailer. AWESOME.

Yes, Yoda dows look very nice there, but I see my fears are true. He looks very realistic (though not totally, but more than the puppet anyway), but he does seem to have a different character... His walking was a bit different, but you can really see a NEW Yoda delivering that line, it's not like ol' puppet Yoda...

... I'm beginning to accept CG Yoda, because I'm beginning to see that what I fear most it that he's different than the Yoda I grew to love, that strange puppet...

Bottom line is, CG Yoda is too real...

I guess I'll have to learn to love him like that then ;-)

5. Harlowe Thrombey

Harlowe Thrombey Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 19, 1999
    I just hope that GL doesn't go back TESB and replace puppet Yoda with "new and improved" CG Yoda. Don't get me wrongo, the new Yoda looks awesome, but I never want to see TESB Yoda changed. He was great.

6. GlennB

GlennB Jedi Youngling

Oct 7, 1999
    OK, I think I have figured something out. The reason that Jar-Jar (however annoying he was), Sebulba, Watto, and Boss Nass looked so incredible to us in TPM is because this was the first time that we had ever seen them. There was no previous reference to compare them to.

I'll be the first to admit that after seeing the CG Jabba in ANH: Special Edition, the CG Jabba in TPM even looked incredible. But, Yoda is in our psyche, supposed to look a certain way and if we don't see that right away, then we will never be satisfied.

I think that the more you get used to the CG Yoda the more you will except it and enjoy what is most important to the movie and that's the story.

7. Jedi_Knight_Jer

Jedi_Knight_Jer Jedi Youngling

Nov 9, 2001
    how do we even know that yoda is cg for the whole thing(not that it matters to me cuz i think it looks cool),

and whats all this talk about yoda doing jackie chan flips, apparently all these nay-sayers have seen the film allready.

8. Gry Sarth

Jun 24, 1999
    I think we can be pretty darn sure Yoda is "all CG, all the time" in Ep2.
    We've seen CG Yoda:
    1- Simply standing there, looking concerned.
    2- Walking
    3- Talking

He was CG doing all 3 of these simple actions. The only thing we haven't seen Yoda do in these trailers is fight. Now do you think they'll use puppet Yoda for the fight scenes and CG Yoda for these 3 types stated above? Don't think so uh... so that means.. all CG.

And about my "Jackie Chan" comment, I just said that because it's the only reason I can see for using CG Yoda. And of course I was exagerating, I just meant "physical fighting".

9. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Gry Sarth you are already wrong. The shot of the Jedi Council in the Mystery trailer shows a puppet Yoda just like in TPM. So the question is when they will use the puppet and when they will use CGI.

10. Gry Sarth

Jun 24, 1999
    Ok, I didn't mention the "sitting" action, because that shot on the council is dubious and open to discussion, we can't know for sure if it's puppet or CG. I personally think it's CG, but since I can't be sure, I don't give it as a certainty.

Now, how can YOU be sure it's the puppet there? It's a pretty short and distant shot where he's practically sitting still...

I agree that it COULD be the puppet there, but it makes no sense to use CG in all 4 kinds of action I stated above (since I hope you agree w/ me that fighting Yoda has to be CG) and use a puppet in a council scene... especially since the CG Yoda is not looking exactly like the puppet one, and switching back and forth during the movie would be terribly distracting.

I also think that they really might use the puppet in some shots where you can barely see Yoda, where you only see his back or that kind of thing. Like they used Ahmed in the suit for a couple of shots in TPM. But you wouldn't say Jar Jar is NOT all CG because of those, would you?

11. Jedi knight Pozzi

Jedi knight Pozzi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 2, 2000
    Didn't Lucas say it was CGI all the way for Yoda from now on?

12. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    I certainly have seen no such quote from Lucas or any other Lucasfilm person.

13. Jeremiah_Bullfrog

Jeremiah_Bullfrog Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 7, 2001
    What was wrong with the muppet Yoda?

14. Jedi knight Pozzi

Apr 2, 2000
    Couldn't be shown the way you can use CGI. I guess.

15. LordIsurus

LordIsurus Jedi Master star 3

Jun 24, 1999
    I must reiterate this again. What looks best will always be used more than what doesn't. Take Jar Jar for instance. On the DVD they mention that they were planning to use Ahmed's body and then CGI for the neck and head only, for the sequences. But it looked better having an all CGI Jar Jar and it also turned out to be cheaper. Now, lets take that new Jedi Council scene. I imagine Yoda was/is a puppet in that scene. At least in the initial stages. The next step would be for ILM to do their Magic and place a CGI Yoda where the puppet is. If the puppet looks better, they go with the puppet. But..as I imagine the case to be...if the puppet Yoda's eyes are skewed or it somehow looks odd, and the CGI Yoda looks great, they will go with the CGI Yoda. Just keep this in mind...if you see a CGI Yoda scene and it looks a bit "off", please understand that the puppet Yoda, in the same scene, would look absolutely terrible. And that goes vice versa, of course. The better looking shot wins...not whether or not it's CGI or puppet or not.

Isurus

16. Jeremiah_Bullfrog

Jeremiah_Bullfrog Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 7, 2001
    I hear you, I just don't think I always agree.

Mainly I think this is because no matter how hard you try, a CG character always looks CG. A puppet is at least physically real. It has real texture, for instance, which will make it look more "real."

But the main drawback for a puppet is that fight scenes would probably just not work. I could see CG for these, but otherwise, I'm not sure it's better.

17. Andrusys

Andrusys Jedi Grand Master star 3

Oct 3, 1998
    First off, I'd like to say that I am pleased that the Ep2 Yoda actually looks like Yoda, as opposed to the Ep1 puppet whose facial features differed in more ways than could be explained by the character being younger and healthier.

However, I do share some of the same concerns as others in this thread. It's not that the CGI Yoda doesn't look good enough... it's that he looks *too* good.

Before you laugh me off, hear me out.

We've already seen Yoda in three movies, and in those three movies it is established that he physically looks and moves in certain ways. Even if it doesn't look 'realistic', in our minds that is how he moves. With the new CGI Yoda, he is going to begin moving in ways inconsistant with what has already been established, which will only serve to remind the audience that Yoda isn't real and they are watching a movie. It's possible that the CG Yoda will be restrained to behave as the puppet did, but Mr. Lucas isn't exactly known for using restraint...

18. DarthDestiny02

DarthDestiny02 Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 21, 2001
    My sister, who is by no means a SW fan, went to see Monsters Inc. and saw the Breathing trailer. She did not know Yoda was cg until I told her he was. Now, of course, when I showed it to her online again she says "oh yeah, I can tell he's cg" but she did not notice initially.

I think if you know something is cg you will think it looks "cgish", but if you just watch the movie and don't care about such things you won't notice any problems at all.

19. waheennay

waheennay Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 29, 2000
    I think the CGI Yoda looks great. I also like his voice in the "Mystery" trailer when he says:"Dangerous and disturbing this puzzle is." It's deep and sounds like it did in Empire when he was training Luke. It doesn't sound too "Groverish" like it did in TPM and RotJ.

20. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    I thought he looked fine in the Mystery trailer and what's more, I thought the same shot they showed in both Breathing and Forbidden Love looked BETTER in Forbidden Love. Like they had done more work on Yoda and made him look better.

As for his voice, I don't think he sounds quite right in the Mystery trailer. His voice is too low. But then Watto does not sound right in Mystery either.

21. waheennay

waheennay Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 29, 2000
    Watto sounds fine. Also, Yoda's voice was low during a lot of EMPIRE. Especially when he says : "You will be. You WILL be!" after Luke tells him he's not afraid.

22. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Something just does not sound right with both of their voices. Maybe the one short line is not enough time to judge, so I will keep an open mind when I see AOTC

23. yodaman

yodaman Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 26, 1999
    Yoda doesn't talk the same at any time. He uses different inflections depending on the circumstances. Sometimes it's Grover-like and sometimes it's deep and that often occurs within the same movie. Then again, that's pretty much the same cases with our own voices.

24. Lady Phoenix

Lady Phoenix Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 14, 1999
  25. Jedi knight Pozzi

Apr 2, 2000
    One critisism from me; just maybe he looks older than in ESB and ROTJ.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.