main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A&A The Official John Ostrander Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by The Gatherer, Feb 26, 2002.

1. The Gatherer

The Gatherer Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 2, 1999
    John Ostrander has written many Star Wars comics which include 'The Stark Hyperspace War', 'SW Tales: Deal with a Demon', 'Twilight', 'SW Tales: Bad Business', 'Dark Horse Extra: Heart of Fire', 'Darkness', and 'Boba Fett: Agent of Doom'.

Jedi Council Forums Username: jfostrander

Discuss Johns's comics and aspects of his writing style in this thread. You never know, John might drop by from time to time!

2. jfostrander01

jfostrander01 Writer: Dawn of the Jedi, Agent of the Empire star 3 VIP

Oct 26, 2001
    Actually, I'll drop in here pretty frequently, especially if you correct the spelling of my first name to "John".<g>

I'm fairly open to comment and talk. Some places I CAN'T discuss for one reason or another. But I'm around a lot so if you have any interest, fire away.

All the best

JOHN Ostrander

3. IAmTheDarkSide

IAmTheDarkSide Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 9, 2002
    Woohoo! Love the Ongoing! Keep up the great work!

So, a question: Is there any chance Quin will meet up with Obi-Wan and Anakin at any point?

4. Sturm Antilles

Sturm Antilles Former Manager star 6

Jun 22, 2000
    I have another question, John...

Now that we know that Aayla Secura is appearing in Episode II, is there any chance that eventually we'll get to see a comic series ( or other type of fiction ) that shows exactly how she came about to be in the large battle at the end of the movie, that would run concurrently with the events in Attack of the Clones?

I'm imagining something kind of like Outlander for Aurra Sing, that sort of explains why a character is shown in a certain sequence.

5. jfostrander01

Oct 26, 2001
    >>Is there any chance Quin will meet up with Obi-Wan and Anakin at any point?

There are plans. Not in the next arc but Jan and I have plans. We'll see what reality brings<g>.

-- John

6. jfostrander01

Oct 26, 2001
    <<Now that we know that Aayla Secura is appearing in Episode II, is there any chance that eventually we'll get to see a comic series ( or other type of fiction ) that shows exactly how she came about to be in the large battle at the end of the movie, that would run concurrently with the events in Attack of the Clones? >>

I haven't seen (or know anything really) about what happens in AotC, assuming she gets past the final cut. There's no immediate plans. To be honest, I'm not really into doing stories that are just continuity implants (despite what some of my work has shown elsewhere). If the continuity serves to explain the character further or generates a good story in and of itself, then I'm interested. But until i see the film and have some idea of what this rumored battle is about, I couldn't even begin to speculate on what sort of story might grow out of it.

-- John

7. wild_karrde

wild_karrde Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 8, 1999
    Hey John, I liked that last little bit in Stark Hyperspace War where they say Gunray denies ever dealing with Jedi. Was that originally in the script, or did you throw it in after people realized the continuity error?

wk

8. jfostrander01

Oct 26, 2001
    >>Hey John, I liked that last little bit in Stark Hyperspace War where they say Gunray denies ever dealing with Jedi. Was that originally in the script, or did you throw it in after people realized the continuity error?

You found me out<g>. I meant the to use ANOTHER Neimoidian and slipped on the names and it was too late. So i decided to do what I usually do: make it look intentional. "Writing like a cat" is how I describe it. If a cat goofs up, it always acts like it MEANT to do what it did, no matter how dumb it was. I've done it at least twice before in other places -- make my goofs into character traits. That's if I'm lucky and catch them and no wise guy actually catches me and ASKS me about it<g>.

-- John

9. VILLIEMACE

VILLIEMACE Jedi Youngling star 2

May 15, 2001
    John, I would like to say that Villie is one of my favourite characters. He is a good balance with the jedi especially Quinlan and whenever he is in a story, he makes it that much more entertaining. I always look forward to seeing him in a story.

In fact I think he is so cool I have named one half of my forum name in honour of him. VILLIEMace.

I cannot wait to see the Deveronian version. It should be a great laugh to read.

Will Villie be making any appearences after the Deveronian Verson?

How did Darth Sidious come across Villie before Acts of War?

I very much like the Stark Hyperspace Wars by the way. Iaco Stark is a good bad guy, and it is great to see Plo Koon before he joins the Council.

I think that Villie and Nym from Starfighter are two of the best characters from the prequel era.

May the force be with you and Jan

Keep up the excellent work.

Tom AKA villiemace

I hope to see more of villie in the future.

10. jfostrander01

Oct 26, 2001
    Thanks, Tom/villiemace!

You'll learn a bit of how Villie was hired by sidious during the DEVARONIAN VERSION. Buried away amidst all the lies will be a FEW grains of truth<g>.

Villie also makes an appearance in RITE OF PASSAGE which follows Devaronian version.

After that? We'll just have to see. Villie has a tendency to walk in and take over a story so you can never tell where he's going to show up or EXACTLY what he'll do. Even jan and I don't always know.

All the best

John

11. VILLIEMACE

May 15, 2001
    John have you ever played Galactic Battlegrounds? I am not sure if you are aware of this but Villie is in the game! You can hire him as a bounty hunter when you are playing as the Gungans

All the best

Tom AKA Villiemace

By the way if Villie likes podracing was he on tattooine for the Boonta Eve Classic in Episode 1?

It would be cool if he was in Episode 2 and three!

12. jfostrander01

Oct 26, 2001
    >>John have you ever played Galactic Battlegrounds? I am not sure if you are aware of this but Villie is in the game! You can hire him as a bounty hunter when you are playing as the Gungans

haven't played the game, villiemace. Not much free time of late.

>>By the way if Villie likes podracing was he on tattooine for the Boonta Eve Classic in Episode 1?

I asked him and Villie told me that he doesn't have to tell me EVERYWHERE he goes. Fictional characters can be so annoying at times<g>.

>>It would be cool if he was in Episode 2 and three!

I think it's unlikely but, yes, it would be cool. Aayla is in Episode 2, from what i understand.

All the best

John

13. VILLIEMACE

May 15, 2001
    Hi Jon

I still cannot wait for the deveronian version!

Have you hot any stories coming up in Tales 11 or 12?

It was a nice surprise seeing teemto pagalies in Twilight as he is my favourite podracer. Will he be making any more surprise appearences in the future?

All the best

Tom aka villiemace

PS who is your favourite star wars character and why?

What will villie be doing in Rites of Passage?

14. IAmTheDarkSide

Jan 9, 2002
    John,

I don't know if you can answer this, and I don't know how long you're signed on to write the Ongoing, but is there any chance of seeing any tie-ins with Rogue Planet, Jedi Quest or other properties?

15. jfostrander01

Oct 26, 2001
    Villiemace

>>Have you hot any stories coming up in Tales 11 or 12?

Not me although i think Jan Duursema has one that she both wrote and pencilled!

>>It was a nice surprise seeing teemto pagalies in Twilight as he is my favourite podracer. Will he be making any more surprise appearences in the future?

None planned right now.

>> who is your favourite star wars character and why?

Perhaps we should specify. Favorite character that I didn't create? Favorite character from the movies only? Fave character from the EU?

>>What will villie be doing in Rites of Passage?

Being Villie. Of course!<g>

All the best

John

16. jfostrander01

Oct 26, 2001
    RE: will there be any tie-ins with other books?

There will be influences, certainly, and I'm not above referring to events in them when appropriate but I'm not planning any direct tie-ins at this time. OTOH, you never know how these things can change!

And i plan to be on the SW Ongoing for some time. I've taken up residence, put some pictures on the wall, that sort of thing. Including this month, i'm set for the next ten issues and am working with Jan Duursema heavily into what is coming up next year. We make no small plans, either!<g>

All the best

John

17. skawookiee

skawookiee Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 12, 2000
    And i plan to be on the SW Ongoing for some time. I've taken up residence, put some pictures on the wall, that sort of thing. Including this month, i'm set for the next ten issues and am working with Jan Duursema heavily into what is coming up next year. We make no small plans, either!

:D <---- skawookiee when he read the above post

That's great! I can't wait to see what's coming!

18. VILLIEMACE

May 15, 2001
    Hi John

Tom AKA villiemace here.

I have just found out that I am going to Tunisia for my easter holiday. I am especially excited because I have heard that George Lucas filmed parts of Tattooine there. Just think I could be going into the Mos Eisley Cantina for a drink with Obi wan or going to mos espa to watch the podracing. ha ha ha!

I will hopefully have got the devaronian version by the time I go and I am looking forward to reading it when i am away.

All the best

Tom AKA Villiemace

19. jfostrander

jfostrander Writer: -Legacy -Republic/Jedi/Purge star 4 VIP

Jul 16, 2001
    Okay, i haven't seen much mention of this but I'm going to point this out because I think it's pretty cool. In the TIME article on AotC, they have a picture of AAYLA SECURA. Aayla FIRST appeared in the story that Jan Duursema and I did called TWILIGHT so I feel really cool about her not only getting into AotC but into TIME. I feel like muh little gurl's all growed up and in da movies!

Anyway, I thought I'd also let you guys know I still come in and out of here if you have any questions or comments.

All the best

John Ostrander

20. Mavrick889

Mavrick889 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 27, 1999
    I'm really looking forward to seeing the finale to The Devaronian Version (the first part was great!) and RIte of Passage looks really promising. Anything you can tell us about it?

21. IAmTheDarkSide

Jan 9, 2002
    Yeah, it was cool seeing the Jedi Council backstory filled in.

22. jfostrander

Jul 16, 2001
    >>I'm really looking forward to seeing the finale to The Devaronian Version (the first part was great!) and RIte of Passage looks really promising. Anything you can tell us about it? <<

Thanks for the kind words. Rite of Passage will mark Aayla's going from padawan to Jedi Knight and takes place about a year or so after DARKNESS. You'll find out how Aayla was first tapped as a Jedi and how she and Quin met. And we have some cool villains including the Morgukai -- who give Jedi a run for their money.

-- John Ostrander

23. jfostrander

Jul 16, 2001
    >>...it was cool seeing the Jedi Council backstory filled in.<<

Just keep in mind who is TELLING us the story. How trustworthy is Villie as a storyteller? You MAY want to take it with an asteroid sized grain of salt<g>.

-- John Ostrander

24. Mavrick889

Mavrick889 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 27, 1999
    So...what's next after Rite of Passage? Any special projects? Anything you can tell us about the arc AFTER RoP?

25. Darth Ludicrous

Darth Ludicrous Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 25, 2000
    I've been going through my old comics and it is incredible how many of them were written by John Ostrander.

Did you know he did Deathmate for Image-Valiant?