main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Official Legacy of the Force Discussion thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by russelguppy, Apr 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Hydra

Darth_Hydra Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 14, 2001
    Actaully the exact quote is "Oh, I don't know...some of my brothers racked up a pretty score back during the days.". I'm pretty sure Boba was talking about the Clone Troopers and maybe even Order 66 specifically.

Edit
    If anyone wants to double check the quote it's on page 113 but I already checked before posting.

2. Emperor_Time

Emperor_Time Jedi Master star 4

Aug 31, 2007
    I see since Jango Fett alone kill quite a few Jedi. :cool:

3. Robal_Krahl

Robal_Krahl Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 23, 2003
    If this isn't an opening for the return of Callista, I don't know what is.

4. xx_Anakin_xx

xx_Anakin_xx Jedi Master star 4

Jan 9, 2008
    Ugggh, I hope not. I think we need a shot of new blood...

5. Emperor_Time

Aug 31, 2007
    I agree since at most Luke should only have daughters. :D

6. Rouge77

Rouge77 Jedi Knight star 5

May 11, 2005
    A longer version of an already known Invincible summary can be found in Random House's Summer Catalog - which can be downloaded from here. Few new spoilers in the end.

Luke Skywalker is stuck on the horns of a dilemma. He
    is convinced that Darth Caedus, the Sith Lord who
    began life as Luke's own peace-loving nephew, Jacen
    Solo, must be destroyed-yet he worries that his vision is
    tainted by his own anger, pain, and desire for revenge.
    Jaina Solo, Jacen's twin sister, has completed her training
    under the galaxy's most fierce anti-Jedi warrior, and now
    it falls to her to fulfill her destiny as "Sword of the Jedi."
    And so while the forces of the shattered Galactic Alliance
    struggle to end the civil war that has set planet against
    planet, Jaina-along with her parents, Han and Leia,
    fellow Jedi Knight Zekk, and old friend Jag-heads right
    into the lion's den to confront the horrific tyrant who
    was once her twin brother.

7. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Very, very interesting summary. In many ways, the final book sets the tone for the way the entire series is remembered. If Invincible turns out to be awesome, people will undoubtedly look back a few years from now and same good things about LOTF.

Don't believe me? Given the popularity of The Unifying Force, many people who once complained about the NJO slowly began to say good things about it.

Afterall, five years from now, all of us will probably only remember how it started in Betrayal and how it ended in Invincible.

For me, I would love to have the series end on a note that sets the tone for what we know happens in Legacy. Basically, we need to see the beginings of the formation of a new Empire, the restoration of the GA (both politcally and in its relationship with the Jedi), and the establishment of the Jedi Order as the prime defenders of the galaxy.

Throw in a casual reference to the One Sith hiding on Korriban, and I would be all the happier. :)

--Adm. Nick

8. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Indeed a TUF-equivelent for LOTf may well undo some of the loathing for LOTF, one thing's for sure if LOTF:I is indeed as good as TUF it'll be entirely unexpected, for a good many people are sceptical 299 pages are enough. It may be, but people are, not unreasonably, probably expecting an epic that it may not have the space for.

9. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    Valid points, Ben. Denning is a great writer, so as long as he jumps right into the thick of the action we may be ok. But you make an excellent point- 299 pages ain't alot to work with.

God, when compared to TUF, it is practically a short story. :p I don't have my copy handy (alas, more damned boxes!), so I don't remember off the top of my head how long TUF was.

--Adm. Nick

10. ATimson

ATimson Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 19, 2003
    529 pages. But it looks like the LOTF hardcover typesetting has a slightly higher word count per page than the NJO did.

(That's one thing I found interesting about LOTF: unlike NJO, they kept the font size/margins consistent throughout the books, meaning that you can compare their lengths just by page count. Unfortunately, it makes the relatively short Inferno and Invincible stand out from their peers. And also unfortunately, I can't stand the rather high line spacing!)

11. Havoc_Wing

Havoc_Wing Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 4, 2006
    As far as I'm concerned, all of Luke's former love interests can wither in hell for all I care.

--HW

12. Xiphos

Xiphos Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 7, 2007
    I don't think Luke would marry anyone after Mara's death. She meant so much to him that doing anything like that could be viewed as a dishonor to her memory.

13. Rouge77

Rouge77 Jedi Knight star 5

May 11, 2005
    Cross-posting. Apologies.

New blurb from Random House:

No war can last forever. Now, in the long and punishing battle between the defiant champions of the New Jedi Order and the juggernaut that is the Galactic Alliance, the endgame is finally at hand.

The rebel cause is losing ground under the twin blows of Admiral Gilad Pellaeon?s assassination and the death of Mara Jade Skywalker. At the same time, the Galactic Alliance, with the extraordinary power and dark brilliance of newly ascendant Sith Lord Darth Caedus at its helm, may be unstoppable. Tormented and torn between the call of duty and the thirst for vengeance, Luke has searched the Force and beheld an unspeakable vision of the galaxy enslaved under tyranny more monstrous than even Palpatine?s. Now it seems that the last, best hope lies in mobilizing the scattered Jedi for one decisive search-and-destroy mission. The objective: eliminate Darth Caedus.

It?s a plan that will be as difficult and dangerous to execute as it is daring. For Caedus is a scion of both the Skywalker and Solo bloodlines whose command of the Force surpasses even that of his grandfather Darth Vader. There is only one who is bound by destiny to stand against him in what will surely be a duel to the death, only one with an outside chance of bringing down the dark lord who was once Jacen Solo.

The furious final moments between power and peace are here, and whoever confronts Darth Caedus will decide the outcome?and the fate of those left standing.

Looks really bad for Jacen.:( I hope that Luke didn't see a vision of Darth Krayt's rule and misinterpreted it as Jacen's.[face_plain]

14. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    Well, heres to hoping that the real defenders of the democractic GA kick Jacen's @ss and destroy his perverted vision of it.

--Adm. Nick

15. Havoc_Wing

Havoc_Wing Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 4, 2006
    I will ****ing cheer if Jacen dies now. He's been horribly screwed up ever since the DNT.

--HW

16. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    I see 3 major characters surprisingly absent from both summaries/previews, which means they probably don't want o reveal their missions/actions because it would probably spoil the book. They are Ben, Tenel Ka, and Allana. The three people who Jacen used to love most; his apprentice, lover, and daughter. Since this is the conclusion, and since Denning introduced Allana in the first place and Tenel Ka and the Hapans have had prominent roles in his two other LOTF books, they must play an important role. With all the talk of Jaina being in a duel to the death with her brother, it's probably done on purpose to surprise us when Tenel Ka or Allana or maybe Ben enters the story and might redeem Jacen instead. Tahiri is also absent, and with her new role as Jacen's apprentice, it makes you wonder what exactly her point in this whole mess was. Perhaps to kill off Jacen after he's redeemed.

The summaries are great and making me really want the book now, but I don't like how they're saying how brilliant and powerful Jacen is, and might be invincible. Calling his empire worse than Palpatine's, and himself being more powerful than Darth Vader, is going a little too far. Especially since we haven't seen any proof of that. I think the biggest flaw of the series might be failing to make Jacen anything more than a temporary threat (dangerous, but ultimately weak and temporary). Not once has he proven himself capable of winning the war, or being more powerful than Jedi, and he hasn't even tried to actually govern the slice of the galaxy he has left (leaving that to Niathal, and with her gone maybe that will lead to his defeat). Maybe so it makes his redemption a tiny bit more believable.

17. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    In regard to the power upgrade, it wouldn't be without precedent if you look to TUF.

Maybe Caedus has finished Sith Lord Training, Advanced-Super-Supreme Level (yes, work out the acronym) and gained the 'UNLIMITED POWER' super-boost ability!

(Hey, that sounds like something in Mario Kart Wii that I have to get back to.)

JB

18. master-of-les-pauls

master-of-les-pauls Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 16, 2005
    So Han,Leia, Jag and Zekk follow Jaina into the lions den[face_thinking] , I have a feeling if Jaina takes out Caedus he is at least taking one of her scooby gang with him. Any one else think Zekk's last words will be telling Jag to look after and love Jaina for him or somthing like that.

As for Luke's visions they have to be about Kryats order, I have always thought that the visions of a dark man on a throne were contected to him.

19. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    ...I don't know whether to laugh or cry after reading that ridiculous summary. Heck the summary seems more appropiate for the late NJO period.

No war can last forever? How long has this stupid war lasted? A few months, a year and a half at the most? Compared to the VY War, this was quick, very quick. And not sure how Pellaeon's assasination and Mara's death connect to the rebel cause exactly, since the Confederation doesn't really care about the Jedi. Unless they're referring to the Jedi as the Rebels and the Confederation are just a sideshow attraction (as they've been for most of the war). The GA is unstoppable? Haven't they been whining, er, saying for the last... four books that the GA and Confederation are so closely matched that they need all the ships they can get, hence why Caedus dragged in Hapan fleets and the Imperial Remnant? Luke's vision... maybe its Caedus' reign, maybe its Krayt's, its hard to tell, but sounds like he'll be sitting out on the duels. Its arguable that Caedus' Force skill does exceed Vader's though, as Caedus hasn't been burnt alive (yet). I hate them saying only one person has an outside chance of beating Caedus though. Luke's beaten Caedus twice on his own already, and looks like the Yuuzhan Vong religion is proven to be right, a few decades later. And what tactical brilliance? Sure, Caedus has battle medidation, but Bwua'tu and Gavin are still running the battles and winning. And with Caedus temper tantrums, how can he actually win a battle? And how many defeats has he had so far? The GA was forced out of Corellia, Gilatter was a draw, nothing happened in Sacrifice fleet-wise, the Battle of Kuat ended up being a long, draining stalemate after the Jedi withdrew at the last second, a good deal of the Fifth Fleet was destroyed at Kashyyyk, the Second Fleet was hit hard by Centerpoint, and Caedus was too busy killing people to accept Fondor's official surrender. Unless they're referring to Caedus' uncanny ability to retain the loyalty of his subordinates despite killing at least one of them when he was in a bad mood.

I guess he could have a sudden huge Force power-up that could actually let him win battles, which would seem incredibly convenient... but I shouldn't be surprised, not with how LotF has gone, and how NJO ended. Oh well, maybe Denning can actually write up a decent war, he covered a good deal of critical parts of the YV War, but they haven't announced a new page count for Invincible have they? Other than that 300+ page count we've been hearing so far.

Oh well, here's to a gruesome death for Caedus! [face_whistling] And let's hope they don't just play semantics and point of view word games and have Caedus "die" in the process of Jacen being reborn. Go Jaina, kill him! Or heck, go Ben, avenge your mother!

20. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    But what if the writers do something.....brave and Darth Caedus wins? Luke and the Jedi have to remain in hiding, Han and Leia have to flee to a)Hapes, B)The Imperial Remnant, c) Chiss Space to avoid being persecuting with Jaina and Jag ending up in a similar place?

21. T-boy-wan

T-boy-wan Jedi Master star 3

Jun 6, 2006
    Caedus better not be redeemed because that would prove this has been nothing but an inferior rehash of the prequels.

I think that he should send Tahiri to recruit the Vong to the cause, and while there 'Riina' will realise that bringing Yuuzhan Vong into a war would demeen everything they worked for a decade earlier and then might lop Caedus's head off. It'd also be nice to see Danni Quee's reaction to what has happened to Caedus.

I also hope Jaina realises that she didn't need Mandalorian techniques to fight, just that she needed reminding that she could do the task herself anyway. If mando stuff can work on Caedus-why have they never helped the galaxy before?

22. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    No one paid them to.

23. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    I don't think I can stomach another redemption.

24. Emperor_Time

Aug 31, 2007
    Well as long as Ben and Allana survive then I am happy. :)

25. NewStaryknight

NewStaryknight Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 8, 2007
    As long as the Big 3, Jaina and Ben and Allana survive I'll be happy.[face_mischief]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.