main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Art Archive The *OFFICIAL* Photoshop Thread

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Otis_Frampton, Jun 4, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Otis_Frampton

Otis_Frampton LFL Artist, Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 7, 2001
    I just found a neat little tutorial for painting in Photoshop:

Steve Mack PS Tute

Enjoy.

-Otis

2. Otis_Frampton

Jan 7, 2001
  3. TheBalinakaBaroness

TheBalinakaBaroness Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 14, 2002
    I'm being a little bit irresponsible posting this request, cause I haven't done a drop of researching this myself yet, but thought I'd ask here first -

any one know if there are places out there where you can get custom photoshop brushes? Ones that other people have already made beyond the ones that come standard in photoshop?

just a shot in the dark...
    ~Bar

4. Dark Jedi Tam

Dark Jedi Tam Jedi Padawan star 4

May 12, 2000
    Here are some links for a start:

http://www.photoshop.brushes.btinternet.co.uk/Photoshopbrushes.html

http://www.sapphire-innovations.com/products/prd_ps_brushes.htm

http://www.e-stet.net/photoshop.html

http://www.deepspaceweb.com/download.php?op=viewdownload&cid=4

And if you want to learn how to make your own brushes:

http://www.mccannas.com/pshop2/tip16.htm

~~~~

BAH!!! I give up! I can never get links here to work right! :p

5. TheBalinakaBaroness

Feb 14, 2002
    Thanks Dark Jedi Tam!

These links are great. I also decided that I could no longer live without Photoshop 7.0 (I've been using 6.0), so now I am going to just go nuts with Dynamic Brushes!

Thanks again,
    Baroness

6. vlps

vlps Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 11, 2002
    I use 5, becouse the sabers, but that lik don't work, can somebody mail it to me ? kris.vandesande@pandora.be

7. Master Salty

Master Salty Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 18, 1999
    I'm upping this thread. I know four people, including myself, that just started with Photoshop 7. I can't believe it took me this long to find this thread and forum.

8. Darth_Imran

Darth_Imran Jedi Padawan star 4

May 30, 2002
    Well, I'm new to this forum, although I'm not new to digital art. I love Photoshop, and I practically spend my weekend on it. I didn't know about this forum, but now that I've found it, I'll be spending lots of time here. Any image requests or general questions welcome - oh, and check out my site - see my sig. :D

9. FearAndBullets

FearAndBullets Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 4, 2001
    Wow! a place for me! Not to mention a place where other photoshop users and Otis is at.... I happened to stumble upon Otis' site earlier last week and was pretty impressed. I like your style. I myself am a long-time photoshop user -(some 9 years+) and a comic book artist...

Happy Happy joy joy....!!!

10. Amidala Starkiller

Amidala Starkiller Jedi Master star 6

Dec 11, 1999
    Hi

I'm new to the forum too.

I've been a digital artist for a few years. I use Photoshop 6.0 at home and 7 at school.

11. Otis_Frampton

Jan 7, 2001
    Up, up and away.

-Otis

12. Duke-Dogwalker

Duke-Dogwalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 2, 2002
    Can't stand photoshop 7.0... I'm sticking with 6.0.

But then I seem to remember hating 6.0 for a while, and vowing never to leave 5.0!! (Perhaps I'm just resistant to change...)

Oh, and Otis? I know it's not SW, but I love the spidey!

13. Otis_Frampton

Jan 7, 2001
    <<Oh, and Otis? I know it's not SW, but I love the spidey!>>

Thanks! :)

Why do you dislike Photoshop 7? I'm curious, because I used v.6 myself, and found that the transition was quite painless.

-Otis

14. Duke-Dogwalker

Sep 2, 2002
    it sounds really silly - but they changed the airbrush tool a bit. That put me off the whole thing!!

There were actually a couple of other things, but i can't remember them right now...

I'm sure I'll change to it eventually!

15. ADONIAH32

ADONIAH32 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 18, 2002
    I use Photoshop 7 and I love it. The (semi)new layout is a bit refreshing. Plus their brush selection, to me, is a lot more user-friendly.

Now all I need is a Wacom tablet and I'm set :)

16. Duke-Dogwalker

Sep 2, 2002
    oh yeah a wacom tablet's a must. I bought mine off my old work - best investment i ever made.

*Hears motorcycle getting jealous from outside the window*

17. Amidala Starkiller

Amidala Starkiller Jedi Master star 6

Dec 11, 1999
    LOL one morning in class it took my awhile to find the airbrush tool. [face_laugh]

18. Lil_Lisa

Lil_Lisa Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 28, 2001
    I have some trouble with my new Photoshop 7! :( It's rather technical and being the computer idiot that I am can someone please help me?

When I start it up I get a box with this in it: You currently have Adobe Photoshop's primary Scratch and Windows' primary paging file on the same volume, which can result in reduced performance. It is recommended that you set Adobe Photoshop's primary Scratch volume to be on a different volume, preferably on a different physical drive. But I have no idea what that means! and sometimes I get "The scratch disk is almost full" or something like that. Later when I'm processing images, I get "(The function) cannot be done because the scratch disks are full" again I don't know what to do. This has never happened with v 5.5 and 6.0 before, what's going on?! We have a ton of storage space in our computer but I don't know what to do. Help please?

19. TheBalinakaBaroness

Feb 14, 2002
    Hey Lil_Lisa - well, since no one else has replied to your problem, i'll *try* to help ya.

In photoshop, find your Preferences. Used to be under Edit in 6.0, I don't know where they are in 7.0 for the PC (mac nerd). Once in Preference, one of the options is Plug-Ins & Scratch Disks. Go in there, and there should be four drop down menus for Scratch Disks -
    First, Second, Third, Fourth.
    Here's the part I'm not sure about, but can't hurt anything to experiment. In those drop down menus, set your first scratch disk to a different drive on your computer, or partition, or whatever, and see how it works. And change the second as well, that should be enough.

Good Luck. Sorry I'm no expert in this stuff, but it might help!
    ~Baroness

20. Lil_Lisa

Lil_Lisa Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 28, 2001
    Thanks BalinakaBaroness! I changed the first and second scratch disks and I don't get the message anymore. :)

21. robo_obi

robo_obi Jedi Master star 4

Mar 15, 2002
    the link for the painting in PS tutorial doesn't work.....a little help?

22. Otis_Frampton

Jan 7, 2001
    Time to UP some threads . .

-Otis

23. Vertical

Vertical Former Head Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 6, 1999
    Good lord. I don't know why I never checked this forum previously.

*Love* photoshop. Use it all the time, although I've never been professionally instructed.

So, a couple questions, for those who may know -

I do most of my 'effects' work with Layer Styles. I do my image blending with Layer Masks. I do my cut-out work with the magnetic polygon tool.

I toy around with filters now and again, but haven't found much I like with them.

I have the EyeCandy filters, but find I can achieve most of those effects with Layer Style manipulation.

Am I missing any HUGE things that other folks who use this app use?

And what the heck is layer blending? What can it do?

Vertical

24. TheBalinakaBaroness

Feb 14, 2002
    Hey Vertical

I'm no Photoshop expert, but since no one else has replied yet, I'll give it a go...

I mostly use the Paintbrushes, but then, I use Photoshop as a paint program.

Have you ever tried using the Pen tool? You can use it to make shapes or Paths which you can use as selections or masks. The magnetic lasso probably works fine, but you can have a lot more control with the pen tool - but it means you have to deal with splines! The Pen tool is pretty cool cause you can do a lot of things you can do in Illustrator without having to go back and forth between the two programs.

As far as blending layers - I think that just means the level of opacity for the entire layer - how much you can see through it to the layers below. Maybe there's more to it that I'm missing. I am always adjusting the opacity level on the Layers palette. I think that does the same thing.

Hope this helps!
    ~Baroness

25. Duke-Dogwalker

Sep 2, 2002
    yeah, the standard pen tool is probably best for cutting stuff out. Also, Layer/matting/defringe can be a useful little helper when you've done that... it can help to remove any 'shadow' around the object you've cut out. esp. useful if you're dropping the cutout onto a background that is quite a different colour to the original background.

The only thing i can say about filters... is that i ignore about 90% of 'em! The only one's i use are noise, blurring, and sharpening. Some of them are great, but most look so obvious that i'd rather not use them. But then, like the Baroness, I also use it mainly as a paint program - so best wait for someone else to talk about filters!

And what the heck is layer blending? What can it do?

it may be more complicated than i realise, but i use it mainly for the 'multiply' option... Basically, this allows me to draw a skethc on a white background, turn it into a layer, and then make the white effectively dissapear! This can also be achieved by drawing directly onto a blank layer, but i find it neater to use the 'multiply' option. Also, this is very useful for scanned drawings - turning the white paper invisible is pretty useful!

The others? Well, just play around... they all basically make the top colour have a different effect on whatever is below. Can be useful for adding washes and suchlike.

hope at least some of that was coherent! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.