main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Official Rebirth discussion thread! (Spoilers allowed from Conq and Reb)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Mastadge, Apr 2, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bogga

Bogga Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 12, 1998
    I really hope that we get to see more of Nen Yim in future books. I hope they didn't develop her that much and then add so much potential at the end of Rebirth to not use her again.

Also, Nom Anor's days are numbered. He's failed for the last time. I highly doubt that Tsavong Lah will give him another chance. But my guess is that Nom Anor either dies or defects to the NR or something similar.

2. Wedge 88

Wedge 88 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 16, 1999
    FYI, the Rebirth reviews are up at TOS. As well as the 5th making of episode 2 video. Very cool.

3. Bogga

Jul 12, 1998
    Well the Rebirth reviews are vague and rather boring, as expected. But I love those Episode 2 videos and that one was no exception.

4. Adi_Gallia_9

Adi_Gallia_9 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 16, 2001
    I read Rebirth and while I was quite happy with it overall, I do wish it had been longer. There were at least 5 stories going on and in a 300 page book that's not much room for each one.

But I loved Corran's return. He was great, as was Han, in telling off the young Jedi who think they are invincible. It's annoying to read about these teenaged characters who think they know more than the adults who were fighting wars before they were even born.

I have two things to mention though.

First, I didn't understand the logic in naming the kid Ben. In the first chapter, Luke and Mara discuss how they don't want to name him that because of the burden he will carry. I was surprised when he was named Ben, even if Luke did hear that voice. I was hoping for Owen, considering that Luke knew Ben for approximately a day or two, while Owen raised him for 18 years.

Secondly, Anakin and Tahiri. While I don't mind their relationship right now, I fear that they've already been paired off for live by many fans. Remember they are only 16 and 14; pairing them off permantely is not only premature but unrealsitic. And considering the NJO has been gunning to be more realistic, I hope Anakin and Tahiri's relationship in the end does not last.

5. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    Yeah, but Star Wars is a fantasy. J&J are going the more realistic relationship route, but Anakin and Tahiri are prophetically paired. They're an item and everyone knows it.

Did anyone catch that "Owen and Beru Larses" typo?

And didn't Keyes say that this book had about a third more words than Conquest? What happened, was a huge amount edited out just so it would be the same length as book 1?

6. Bogga

Jul 12, 1998
    Anakin and Tahiri haven't been paired off for life. All they did was kiss; no big deal. It's not like they're getting married and both of them acknowledged the fact that they ARE rather young.

Here's something that hit me while reading the ending. Luke has a vision of his son in various different situations. Here's the exact quote: "The boy grew older; he was at the helm of a starship of strange design..." Did anyone else think of Zonama Sekot and the ships they made there? That idea hit me before I even read the next line. I'm just wondering if anyone had any ideas on this. It seems rather early to predict anything about Ben though as he was just born and certainly won't be doing anything in the NJO.

7. Adi_Gallia_9

Apr 16, 2001
    Normally I would agree Mastadge, but when the NJO began, it was mentioned many times how the series was going to be dark, depressing and more realistic. Putting them together already seems to abandon that idea.

And about the length, orginally I heard it was supposed to be longer, approximately 360 pages. With so many stories occuring, the extra pages could have helped and made the book longer to read. It's slightly aggravating that I wait months for these books to come out, but I can read them in a day and them go back to waiting for months.

And I did see that typo. :)

8. Tellesto

Tellesto Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 7, 1999
    I just got the book and will post any thoughts later.
    But I did read far enough to hear about the Larses...

9. Adi_Gallia_9

Apr 16, 2001
    I hear what you're saying Bogga and I hope you're right. They are too young, and yet many fans seem to believe they have paired off and that in time they will marry. Personally, I hope not.

10. Bogga

Jul 12, 1998
    I don't really mind the occasional typo. Of course I'd prefer them not to be present, but it doesn't ruin anything for me in the least.

11. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    Yeah, but unlike J&J's silly "relationships" in YJK, Anakin and Tahiri went together perfectly practically from page one, their relationship and interaction was the one positive thing about the JJK books as far as I'm concerned.

12. Rebecca191

Rebecca191 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 2, 1999
    I think Tahiri and Anakin belong together. And let there be one sweet, happy thing in the NJO. (Well actually two in this book, with baby Ben).

13. Adi_Gallia_9

Apr 16, 2001
    You have a point there, Mastadge. While I'm not the biggest Anakin/Tahiri fan, it could be worse. Their relationship is realisitic in that it's a very typical teenage romance with two friends gradually becoming more than that. We could have been submitted to another relationship like Jacen and Tenal Ka or Jaina and Kyp.

14. Adi_Gallia_9

Apr 16, 2001
    I understand and respect your opinion, Rebecca, but I do disagree. Anakin and Tahiri are only teenagers and the percentage or people who actually marry their first love or someone they met as a teenager is an incredibly small amount. People are changing during those years and it becomes hard to form a lasting relationship when feelings and hormones are always sifting. Realistically, true love is usually not found until people are at least in their 20s. Not to rain on your parade or anything, but I hope Tahiri and Anakin end up as first love but not more.

15. sweetheart

sweetheart Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 19, 2001
    Hey I loved this book. Great H/L interaction! I was so pissed with the dropped reunion plotline they do it was very nice to see Keyes do some great repair job. And I loved that Leia was Han's new copilot too :)

16. Wedge 88

Jul 16, 1999
    "Did anyone catch that "Owen and Beru Larses" typo?"

Yeah, I saw it about a month ago when the chapter 1 excerpt was put up for a short time. Accually, when it says "the Larses had been..." or whatever, thats correct grammar. But "Owen and Beru Larses were..." is not.

I saw another typo with quotation marks where it says something like "blahblahblah 'blah'." blah blah blah."

17. Adi_Gallia_9

Apr 16, 2001
    Technically shouldn't the "Larses," when referred to as plural, be "Lars'"?

18. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    OK, now I can say it:

Was I not on the level with what I said a few days back? ;)

OK, I'm wondering too about Nom Anor's fate, I'm thinking our Jedi Master might show a dark side and go after him. Face it, Mara is safe, Ben'll be guarded, why not go and get the git who poisoned his wife? It wouldn't be aggressive, it'd be just.

One other thing: Corran Horn, this is the first time, to the best of my knowledge, that we've seen him portrayed by an author other than Stackpole or Zahn and I prefer Keyes' version. Corran seems far less arrogant and irritating in Rebirth, Keyes has actually made me whole heartedly like the character, something Stackpole and Zahn never could. I respcted him but could never like him, due to Stacpole's portrayal of him.

Jedi Ben

19. Bogga

Jul 12, 1998
    I liked how Corran bashed Anakin for bring brash and doing so much on his own while Corran did a lot of the same when he was younger. Rather ironic I think.

20. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Isn't that all the better? Teaching from life experiences?

Anyways... I got the book as soon as I could yesterday. I went to Borders on Monady, but they weren't allowed to sell it until the release date, obviously. Apparently, they've had it for a week or two. I just finished it this morning.

I think that it was good that Nom Anor got in trouble. He's annoying.

As for that what's her name... Nen Yig or whatnot. She bugs be. I was really hoping that Shimmra would kill her in brutal Vong fashion.

As for the Anakin/Tahiri things... well, they seem to be going along quite well. I can't really say anything about realistic teen love or whatnot, since I'm still quite in that stage. But... Anakins emotions seem to be on par.

21. Bogga

Jul 12, 1998
    <<<Isn't that all the better? Teaching from life experiences?>>>

Yes, but that doesn't mean it still isn't ironic. It would have been interesting if he actually used some of his experiences when instructing Anakin and acknowledging the fact that he didn't begin by doing things correct every time.

22. Wedge 88

Jul 16, 1999
    "Technically shouldn't the "Larses," when referred to as plural, be "Lars'"?"

Thats posesive...

The Lars' family speeder.

The Larses had been parents to Luke.

OR

The Lars had been parents to Luke.

23. Adi_Gallia_9

Apr 16, 2001
    Thanks for the grammar lesson, Wedge88. :)

I do not think Luke should go after Nom Anor. The entire series he has been preaching about not using aggression and to hunt down Anor would most definatly be of the Dark Side. Luke does need to start taking action, but going out on a personal crusade is not the way to do it. He needs to inspire the Jedi and unite them to fight the Vong. Hunting Anor would only further divide them.

24. LawgSkrak

LawgSkrak Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 23, 1999
    What does Lando do in this book?

25. Wedge 88

Jul 16, 1999
    Lando is kinda the leader of the new Maw instilation. Its where Han and Leia were hiding out in Conquest. Its kinda the secret staging base for fighting against the Vong, by all parties. The Hutts, The Jedi, Planetary leaders, commercial comanies. They all meet here, trying to help each other so they can help themselves in the end.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.