main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit The Official The Old Republic: Revan Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Rogue_Follower, Nov 23, 2011.

1. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    There was also a cut ending where the Exile could leave with Atton, though obviously that isn't canon :(

Not only does she draw from her allies, but she also draws from her dead enemies. It might be reasonable to say that, once she had severed her bond with Kreia, she no longer was able to do that.

Despite how abrupt the ending of KOTOR II was, Kreia completely saves it for me. For whatever odd reason, she reminds me of The Underground Man from Dostoyevsky's "Notes from Underground". I've always loved the hypocritical characters; underground man despised the notion of logic, despite doing nothing but sitting and thinking, and Kreia's proclamation that she wants to "kill the Force", despite completely living inside it, is something we just haven't seen in any other character. I really have a hard time even calling Traya a Sith.

2. Lightsnake

Lightsnake Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 10, 2005
    Traya is Sith...but she's grown to despise it and everything it stands for. To her, it's poisonous...however, she's drawn back to it every time.

And is there anyone who denies the serious issues with Nyriss vs. Scourge and Meetra and Revan's participation?

3. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    :(

Her influence/bonding powers pre-dated the events of Malachor. Being severed from the Force -- or severing herself, I should say -- was what awakened her to the full extent of what she could do with them. (I.E. hearing the Force through other people) Vrook and Vandar have a recorded conversation when they discuss how Little Exile seems to have undue influence (both positive and negative) on those around her. Vrook, of course, fearing it's of the dark side.

The "Malachor wound" that allowed for (or at least helped along) the birth of Nihilus and the assassins may, in fact, be the way it is because of the Exile's influence on it.

Not that any of this is entirely clear. It's not.

4. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    Right, but unless I misremember, her bond with Kreia was what allowed her to regain her connection to the Force and become far stronger than she probably should have been able to. There was that conversation in that other thread about how "wounds can heal", and I always interpreted her siphoning Force from her dead enemies as the "wound", rather than being reinforced by her allies.

In turn, I imagine all of her allies, at least on some level, are powered by her. Wasn't it hinted that some of her allies were not previously Force sensitive until coming in contact with her? There's also the fact that all of them became Jedi remarkably fast. It would be very interesting if the entire Jedi Council she created suffered from her death.

5. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Personally, I always figured she'd be leaving alone, and assumed that Kreia's reason for telling the Exile what would become of her companions in the future was because they both knew the Exile wasn't going to make it back to see them all grow up for herself.

6. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    I have no objection to Revan getting his butt kicked and Meetra getting stabbed from behind.

My issue is that it's quite possibly the dumbest plan ever for two tactical geniuses.

"We're going to go, ourselves, to kill the single most powerful sorcerer in the universe."

I expected the Exile and Revan to be building a "light side resistance" in the Sith Empire.

Instead, they seemed to have the moronic idea that the Sith Empire's only real threat is the Emperor.

7. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    Well that was her "primary" bond throughout KotOR II, no doubt, but I'd argue the main benefit was Kreia training her to take advantage of it and "hear the Force, distantly, through me". Kreia and Surik were Force sensitives blind to their own unique connections but able to make use of the other's. Though it's been established that Surik eventually came back into communion with her own connection by virtue of her bond with Kreia, it doesn't make sense for this to happen until post-game, since the Council insist they still feel "nothing" within her.

In any case, I don't think the reawakening of her own connection would mean she was suddenly unable to put the lessons she'd learnt regarding the potency and applications of her bonding into practice. Especially since goes on to defeat Nihilus, Sion and Traya after her bond with Kreia has been sundered.

The Exile's use of "the Force of others" (to crib an old term from the early SW scripts) is her most interesting quality.

8. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    Did her bond with Kreia become severed before end-game? It's been awhile since I've played KOTOR 2, but I thought it was severed no sooner than Kreia's death, though come to think of it, I might remember Kreia mentioning the bonds disappearance after she killed the council members.

9. Lightsnake

Feb 10, 2005
    Getting whooped by the emperor? No.

Meetra getting owned by Darth Nobody and saved by Revan like that?

10. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    Now you bring it up, I'm not sure whether Kreia's mention of the bond being severed after she kills the council made it into the final game. Because I also seem to remember Kreia using the bond as a means to draw the Exile back to Malachor.

It's been a fairly long while since I played, too.

@ Chuck: RE: Light side resistance.

Something like that would have been appropriate, yeah. Repeated mention is made of the fact that influencing other people and making them into his tools was "Revan's way" -- (it's almost like the Doctor!) -- and Kreia says that Revan's gone off to fight the true Sith "in his way". So I had been expecting some sort of infiltration of the true Sith on his part.

Though I'd also been expecting a reveal that Revan's origins lay in the true Sith Empire, after the "call of home" stuff. So what do I know?

11. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    Silly us, you mean it wasn't obvious that meant getting fried by Force lightning, to be imprisoned for the next three hundred years while you and Me' psychically "sway" the Sith Emperor's mind in some nebulous way to bide his time and not attack the Republic, only to be released so you can spout signature phrases as a mid-level boss?

And Meetra Surik? There's no getting around the fact that it's just a darn stupid name. And not in any racist or WASP cultural bias sense, mind you. Qui-Gon Jinn is a darn fine name for an old caucasian-looking Jedi master in a galaxy far, far away. Captain Panaka is a great name for a character. Jango Fett is a great name for a person resembling Maori features; same goes for Cody, Rex, and the others. Same goes for his son, Boba. Edian is a great name for an security officer. Deepa Biloba is a beautiful name. Yoda is fantastic name. Lando Calrissian is a memorable name -- a great one for the ages. But, you know what?

Meetra Surik is a stupid, stupid name. Maybe it's just fine for one of those "What's Your Story" guys that Hasbro will get around to making a character of before they make a Kreia or T3-4M figure. You know, the ones who appear in an actual movie, but for all of 0.023 seconds. Meetra Surik is a great name for her. But, for the Exile? We could've at least used the KotoR character random name generator to get something at least eight times as good.

12. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    TOR Spoilers.
    According to one of the developers, neither Revan nor Malgus is dead

13. Genghis12

Nov 18, 1999
    That's good to hear.

14. AlyxDinas

AlyxDinas Jedi Knight star 4

Jul 12, 2010
    Where is this being said? Because I hadn't heard anything on the forums...:confused:

15. DarthRevan211

DarthRevan211 Jedi Master star 1

Feb 17, 2008
    Woah, woah, woah! Link please?

16. melkor834

melkor834 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 24, 2009
    Cool. I knew Malgus survived because no one in Star Wars actually die when they fall down a pit. But Revan... Great news!

17. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    yeah, it was just an offhand comment but nothing that's been officially confirmed.

However, they're already working on the Expansion.

The comment was something like, "Don't think you saw what you saw with Revan."

18. Lord_Hydronium

Lord_Hydronium Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 11, 2002
    Do you have a link or source for this?

19. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    When a character in Path of Destruction said that Revan's story was "complicated"...

...I didn't know the half of it.

Not according to the "Luke Skywalker is the standard for SW names" argument, because neither "Meetra" nor "Surik" is an English word, a conjoining of English words, or a familiar ( typically Caucasian ) name. So "Meetra" or "Surik", paired with something else, is already at least half wrong. You can't reasonably say that a name is inarguably crap within the confines of a vast fictional universe, because the character could be from a planet whose citizens believe that the name is not crap. If other planets don't agree, that's their problem.

KenKenobi likes this.
  20. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
  21. Lightsnake

Feb 10, 2005
    Okay, these aren't real cultures. We can say how the names sound to our ears.

22. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    I don't find "Deepa Billaba" to be any better than "Meetra Surik". But I see that's not exactly the majority opinion.

What. The. Kark.

Neither part of that name is Maori. And what are we saying here? That certain names must go along with certain features?

Mind-boggling.

23. Genghis12

Nov 18, 1999
    Jango doesn't need to be Maori. He's from a planet in a galaxy far, far away. But his name is cool. It's nothing I can identify with culturally with. But it's still cool. For that galaxy's best bounty hunter, clad in that galaxy's coolest armor. I couldn't tell you what cultures or linguistic roots the name Jango Fett shares.
    But, that doesn't have anything to do with how his name sounds.

And Meetra Surik sounds stupid.

24. AlyxDinas

AlyxDinas Jedi Knight star 4

Jul 12, 2010
    I still maintain that it is more visually displeasing than aurally.

25. Genghis12

Nov 18, 1999
    Part of me grants you that. Then, the other parts say its equally as offensive to the eyes as it is to the ears and tongue.