main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

TOR The Old Republic - General Discussion

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by SoloCommand, Nov 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I_AM_GEEK

I_AM_GEEK Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 5, 2004
    New Planet announced

We?re thrilled to announce the next playable planet in Star Wars?: The Old Republic?, the Hutt homeworld known in The Old Republic timeframe as Hutta. Nowhere in Star Wars? lore has Hutta been so richly realized, and players will be able to explore the first true interactive realization of the ?Glorious Jewel?.

Read more about Hutta and its rich history including the long standing tension between the rebellious Evocii natives and the greedy, power-hungry Hutt Empire.

View the concepts of Hutta?s harsh, polluted environments and see how the development team brought Hutta to life in these screenshots.

2. I_AM_GEEK

I_AM_GEEK Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 5, 2004
    First issue of the TOR web comic has been released.

Meh

3. CloneCaptainRex

CloneCaptainRex Jedi Master star 4

Aug 31, 2008
    Wow. The Comic looks EXACTLY like CW.

Same Senate buildings. Same Clone trooper armour.

Bleh.

4. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
  5. DarkLordoftheFins

DarkLordoftheFins Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 2, 2007
    I think there is one thing, exactly one thing they said good to nothing about yet. And that one could save or damn the whole game.

How will they treat pvp?

Because in a game like this, it will make a huge part of the experience.

6. Qui-Gon_Reborn

Qui-Gon_Reborn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 11, 2008
    With a story-based game, wouldn't pvp make less of a difference?

7. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    True, but it is still an MMO - interaction with people is the fun of it. Unless they intend to segregate the 'chat' planets and 'action' planets. Which will probably happen, but as areas on planets, I guess.

I assume it'll be free-form, but there tend to be various 'mystic' ways of keeping stronger characters out of areas in MMO's, methinks.

8. DarkLordoftheFins

DarkLordoftheFins Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 2, 2007
    Well, PvP will be in it. And as I said elswhere, how do you want all the guilds and powerplayers to become "storyplayers". Actually they would leave and it would terribly fail. They will take the usuall approach, that worked perfectly fine as a business model before: There will be a Roleplaying Server and five "usual" servers, as it is always. And people will wish to mess with others, make their own story and see how they do against other players. PvP is the fun of MMOs.

I think the idea we get a KOTOR III, with a monthly fee is an illusion. We actually get an MMO.

And PVP is the fun of MMOs, no doubt. So, it will all come down to the question if they can find a satisfying solution to the "Cantina-problem"

9. Mekairinek

Mekairinek Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 7, 2009
    Can we only play as a human character? If it's just humans only, that would suck because I really don't want to play as a human character. =/

10. Qui-Gon_Reborn

Dec 11, 2008
    No, I'm sure there's going to be more than one playable race. There better be! :p

11. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    I assume, Human, Twi'lek, Rodian, Kel Dor, bare minimum, myself. Probably Mon Calamari, Wookie and Quarren as well - and Bothan, too.

12. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Well, if you consider the official site avatars... there are several Kaleesh looking faces.

[image=http://swtor.com/sites/all/files/avatars/avatar107.gif] [image=http://swtor.com/sites/all/files/avatars/avatar108.gif] [image=http://swtor.com/sites/all/files/avatars/avatar110.gif]

Companions? Enemies? Playable races?[face_thinking]

13. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    Ooooh. Kaleesh. I was about to launch into a rant about how Kalee hasn't been discovered yet, but remembered we have a Kaleesh Jedi in 5000 BBY... and then remembered just how sad I am. [face_laugh]

14. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    I'd expect Zabrak and Togruta too. There's a very cool blue-skinned Togruta avatar.

15. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    I wonder how many Ashoka's we'll see? [face_laugh]

16. Mekairinek

Mekairinek Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 7, 2009
    Oh good.

See, I'm the type of person in a MMO (or even in customizable games, like Oblivion Or Dragon Age), if there's the option to NOT play as a human, I'll take it. (I had like... 5-6 Casts and Newmans back in the days of Phantasy Star Online) So... yay! I think.

17. Qui-Gon_Reborn

Dec 11, 2008
    I know, that's what I thought. [face_laugh] I've lost count of how many Obi-Bob and Obi-Rob and Obi-Wna and Wan-Obi Kenbios I've run into on SWG.

18. CDF_Vagabond

CDF_Vagabond Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 12, 2008
    One question for the discussion who is this guy? Frankly his look just freaks me out but I am also wondering if there is any more pictures of him so I can start scuplting the armor. He look a lot like Darth Malak but I'm sure that it's not Malak but a mystery to me who he is.
    [​IMG]

19. LordTroepfchen

LordTroepfchen Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2007
    He is the stand in ofr the player character. The "All-Sith-Warrior-Face" of TOR. At least I read that somewhere . . .

20. Dark_Paoki

Dark_Paoki Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 22, 2010
    Hey guys, I've never played MMOs like World of Warcraft (to be honest, I made fun to those people who burn their brains 24/7 with MMOs....In addition, the only RPG I've ever played is KOTOR 2, 6 years ago.....

Can someone explain in simple words, what is a Massive Multiplayer Online RPG? Will I be able to play the game on my own if I want to? And in what scale does the interaction of other people affect my game.

For example, if i have to interact with other people in secondary or optional parts of the game, then its ok. But what if these parts are necessary and important for the game?

And does anybody know if the battle system is similar to KOTOR?

Finally, will I have to pay any extra subscriptions or fees to play the game?

21. Qui-Gon_Reborn

Dec 11, 2008
    Can someone explain in simple words, what is a Massive Multiplayer Online RPG? Will I be able to play the game on my own if I want to? And in what scale does the interaction of other people affect my game.

It varies from game to game. For instance, you can do 90% of SWG by yourself, it just isn't as fun as playing with other people. And the remaining 10% is usually really good stuff that's worth hunting up some friends for. But it is possible to go through entire game without speaking to a single soul, yes. I wouldn't recommend it. At all. But you can do it.

For example, if i have to interact with other people in secondary or optional parts of the game, then its ok. But what if these parts are necessary and important for the game?

Then you don't do them, of course. :p But really, if you're going to play an MMO, you're going to interact with people. You can't help it. You're going to find yourself a guild, and they're going to help you out.

And does anybody know if the battle system is similar to KOTOR?

This will asnwer your question in detail.

Finally, will I have to pay any extra subscriptions or fees to play the game?

There will be a monthly fee, yes, as with all MMO's.

22. fanboyskywalker

fanboyskywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 3, 2008
    Hey, will this game's gameplay feel like Knights of the Old Republic? I have an Xbox 360 and wanted to know if it will feel like the same game or is this something different?

My favorite gameplay style was The Phantom Menace for PS1.

Also, do you have to play online or is this something you can buy and play by yourself if you don't have online access?

23. -polymath-

-polymath- SFF:F/TV Trivia Host star 4 VIP - Game Host

Jun 7, 2007
    I just watched the combat mechanics video documentary on TOR website. Must say that the game is looking pretty cool. I don't know if they're going to be able to get away from some of the most fundamental aspects of MMO combat but I think their take on it is intriguing. I am liking the Republic Trooper class a lot more after watching the video.

24. Baco_Sapan

Baco_Sapan Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 10, 2010
    I have a few questions.

1, does anyone know the PC system requirements for this game? I figure it's still to early to tell, but if anyone knows, please let me know. Cause I'm pretty sure I'm gonna have to get a new PC to play this game anyways. But if I'm gonna spend my money, I want to make sure I buy the right PC with all the system requirements to play this game.

2, for the Jedi/Sith classes, does anyone know if we'll be able to customize our lightsaber hilts? And will we also be able to dual wield and use double-bladed lightsabers?

3, Are there anymore playable races other then humans? If so, do you know what they are?

25. aesium

aesium Jedi Master star 2

May 31, 2004
    In the bounty hunter armor progression video you can see bodies frozen in carbonite, so does that mean I've missed out on knowing that the process was used before ESB?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.