main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The ORIGINAL NEW new Starbucks!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Grand Admiral Thran, Mar 5, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hunter Of Winds

Hunter Of Winds Jedi Youngling star 5

Dec 5, 1999
    Trace: I hope you're feeling better! I've been out gliding for a couple of weeks in Arizona. You were right. I do need to get some sleep.

I hope everyone here enjoyed Good Friday, Passover, and Easter!

Hunter

[This message has been edited by Hunter Of Winds (edited 04-24-2000).]

2. JediMistress

JediMistress Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 18, 1999
    Okayw..I missed the first chat yesterday (or the day before whatever). But I'm back online, most of my computer is operational again...so what did I miss? Ewok banter? Hmmm...not HALF as ANNOYING as Jar Jar BINKS! I have a new respect for cute little fuzz balls.

3. Grand Admiral Thran

Grand Admiral Thran Jedi Youngling star 4

Jul 22, 1999
    Hey, check the site ( http://starwarsstarbucks.cjb.net) everyday, as I am daily updating it. I now have polls, and I SPENT 4 HOURS LAST NIGHT DOING THE GRAPHIC ON THE FIRST PAGE! So I hope you like it, if not TS!

Well anywho, Barbara Fett, If you could send me those saved copies of the 3 different forums I would be greatly appreciative. In fact....YOU NOW HAVE A NEW JOB! Heh, go sign up at the site under the application section. You are now the offical "best posts" person. I will give you the HTML, passwords and details after you sign up. THANKS FOR VOLUNTEERING! For the others I DO need help with the site. I have finals comming up soon and I do fear that I will be quite unable to do anything. I also plan to have the top ten greatest posts of all time on the site. Voted by you guys on the poll thats going on now. SO until next time.
    GAT OUT
    "Who says we can turn an Ewok into a projectile weapon?"

4. Wormie2

Wormie2 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 22, 1999
    Welcome back, JM. Hope all is going well with your computer now.

Sorry GAT. Looks like JM wasn't the only one to miss the premiere chat. Can you forgive me?

I've been thinking Ewok today. No, not because I'm hungry. Somewhere between my fifth cup of coffee and the twelfth time my computer crashed, I realized Lucas has had an annoying short creature in all three of the films. Let me illustrate;

Star Wars had Jawas. Even the characters couldn't stand these creatures.

Empire had Ugnaughts. They always struck me as being slightly evil.

Jedi, of course, had the ewoks. Ok, so if we're following a trend here, the furry pests were never supposed to be liked. The audience just got a little confussed, you see.

Now that we've seen the truth, those of us that always knew Ewoks were vulture bait feel much better.

5. Qui-Gon Tim

Qui-Gon Tim Memphis, TN FanForce Chapter Rep star 5

Apr 1, 2000
    T: If you're serious about singing, please- I beg of you- get a good voice teacher. I'd recommend someone who is classically trained and sings opera. (You may not want to sing opera, but operatic techniques will apply to any type of singing. Anyway- coaches are like cars- you get what you pay for, so caveat emptor!) A good teacher will help you strengthen and preserve your voice. (Think of it as a Jedi Vocal Master!) Trust me, I know. I've been in training for five years and the improvement is astronomical. I've heard old recordings of my singing and I sounded like a freakin' lounge singer!
    Also, Rent is currently tied with Les Miserables for my favorite musical.
    (I would love to play Roger- if only I could belt!- Aw, heck- I'd play Angel if they'd let me!) You ladies talk about directors wanting you to belt- they want us guys to sing like castrati. Gee, thanks, Mandy Patinkin (i.e. The Secret Garden.)
    Oh, your idea for a MJ musical is great! I've done a bit of composing and lyrical work in my time. Want some help???

Okay, now, back to SW. Speaking of musicals, does anyone know anything about the musical version of SW??? When Chuck Wagner was here in Jeckyll & Hyde, his bio showed he had played Han Solo in the musical. Should I be curious or frightened?!?! eek.gif

[This message has been edited by Qui-Gon Tim (edited 04-24-2000).]

6. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    Oh, and P.S. T: A collaratura, eh? Impressive, young one, very impressive, indeed.

7. Wormie2

Feb 22, 1999
    Gee, I knew T was our resident theater bug, but I had no idea we were also in the presence of a husband and wife singing team as well. I guess it's a foregone conclusion that your daughter will be more musical than your average kid. Of course, I hate to admit my ignorance, but I've no idea what that last statement of yours was about QGT.

Taking the hint from several sources here, I went to the opera a while back. Let me just say that without the translation monitor, I would have left. The music is only so entertaining before the story becomes important. At any rate, to my amazement, I actually enjoyed myself. Still, after very little thinking, I've concluded that musicals are more my thing. Speaking of which, Rent will be touring in my city in a couple of weeks. Perhaps I'll grab a ticket.

I have a problem. Well, it's not so much a problem as a doubt. Ok maybe it's more like a cause for concern. No, it's more just something to worry over. Or maybe......ahhh hell, I don't know what it is. Here's the story;

My sister kicked her husband out. They've been married a little over a year, and he decided about five months ago that he didn't want to be anyones dad. See, that's a problem cause she has a 4 year old son. Anyway, long story short, she said "if you're going to leave, then just do it." He said "fine!" packed up and left. Now, here's my part of the story; she can't afford to live on her own, I'm looking for ways to cut back on monthly expenses, so we're moving in. We found this great house to rent with a yard for my nephew, and the attic was turned into a third bedroom with a bath, so it's perfect for me to hibernate in. It all appears to be ok, but it's not. She keeps saying stuff like "I can't throw his stuff away. I'll want it when he decides to come back." See my problem. There's a lease involved here, people! Not to mention an impressionable child, a devestated sister, and my fragile ego. What to do!?!?

You don't have to answer that. I just had to rant.

Hey T, how am I doing? Detected any sarcasm of late? Turning over a new leaf can be a real pain in the butt. Let me know when you get bored.

8. Wormie2

Feb 22, 1999
    Probably should have left this double post alone just to bug T. Oh well.

[This message has been edited by Wormie2 (edited 04-25-2000).]

9. taramidala

taramidala Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 18, 1999
    Q-G T, I'd love to get a voice teacher. Unfortunately, they're quite expensive and the only other way I'd be able to take them would be through my school. Unfortunately (again), the only way to get lessons here is by audition and, well, I'm just not good enough for them.

You dissin' Mandy Patinkin? Secret Garden is one of my all time favs so don't you be knockin' my Archie! Sorry, I get a little defensive about that role. The first great love of my life played that part when we were in high school and he was amazing. Not one single voice lesson a day in his life and he could hit every note naturally. Beautiful.

The MJ musical? Didn't you see my post on that thread? I was KIDDING! I'm no songwriter.

Heh. Took me a minute there on collaratura, but I think I got it. She never called me that, so I'm not entirely sure that I am one, but I had the highest reaching range in my school.

Wormie, SEE Rent. It's still playing in the city and I really need to go! I'm SO jealous. But at least I got to see Adam!

I never meant for you to turn over that leaf COMPLETELY! Go ahead, be sarcastic if it makes you feel better. Somehow I know it will. I'm very sorry for your situation. I wish there was something I could say that would make it better, but I can't, so I'll just keep my mouth shut.

BTW, you double posted!

Oh, man, after 2:00 and I have to work on this damn history paper. Damn Thomas More and damn his Utopia. Oh, the life of a college freshman at the end of her first year. I gotta sleep.

MTFBWYA and good morning,
    "T"

[This message has been edited by taramidala (edited 04-25-2000).]

10. Jedi Callie

Jedi Callie Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 14, 1999
    Taramidala: I know wha'cha mean, girl... Voice lessons got to be pretty expensive for me back in college, and even though I could probably start 'em back up again, time is an issue now *sigh*

Hey, btw, remember I was going to tell you some good news? I'll tell ya in here . I saw an article in our newspaper about a new website called tonos.com which is being run by some of the bigger bigwigs in the recording industry (Babyface and Diane Warren are among the ones involved in this)... Anyway, I found out that they are holding a contest right now for vocalists and for songwriters !!! Unfortunately, this requires me having to download some software that isn't available yet for Macs (gee, that's a surprise), but supposedly the Mac version will be ready next week, so I'm crossing my fingers that that's true, and then I can enter this thing, yeeha!! I know the competition's bound to be fierce, but I figure the odds have got to be better than winning the lottery, and I buy a ticket every week, so heck, what have I got to lose? Besides, my aunt keeps telling me when something horrible happens in your life, it's usually followed by something great, so I'm hoping this is the something great that's supposed to follow .

QG-T: I'm not sure I agree that operatic training can apply to all kinds of singing. Certainly for stage performing (i.e. theatre), nothing beats operatic training, because it teaches you that powerhouse way of singing and projecting, etc. But for pop-style singing (i.e. to be a recording artist), methods are a bit different. For one, there's the use of a microphone, and that in itself is a technique to learn. You can definitely apply what you learn in operatic training to pop singing, but there are subtle differences...

In any case, glad to meet a fellow songwriter, dude . I may just have to pick your brain here at some point, hope you don't mind!
    Hmm, an SW musical, eh? Interesting idea. Wow, ESB would make a helluva musical now that I think about it... Can you just imagine that moment that Vader tells Luke that he's daddy, and have that be set to really haunting music? Or how about ROTJ, and that big scene in the end when Vader taunts Luke and causes him to come out of hiding... Ooh I'm getting goosebumps at the thought .

11. taramidala

Jun 18, 1999
    Originally posted by Jedi Callie: <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Geneva,Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Hey, btw, remember I was going to tell you some good news? I'll tell ya in here . I saw an article in our newspaper about a new website called tonos.com which is being run by some of the bigger bigwigs in the recording industry (Babyface and Diane Warren are among the ones involved in this)... Anyway, I found out that they are holding a contest right now for vocalists and for songwriters !!! Unfortunately, this requires me having to download some software that isn't available yet for Macs (gee, that's a surprise), but supposedly the Mac version will be ready next week, so I'm crossing my fingers that that's true, and then I can enter this thing, yeeha!! I know the competition's bound to be fierce, but I figure the odds have got to be better than winning the lottery, and I buy a ticket every week, so heck, what have I got to lose? Besides, my aunt keeps telling me when something horrible happens in your life, it's usually followed by something great, so I'm hoping this is the something great that's supposed to follow .

GOOD LUCK! Speaking of music contests, one of my friends from high school is in the Final Four of the National college band contest! They're competing in CA this weekend and if they win they get a recording contract and an interview with Rolling Stone among other things! <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Geneva,Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>I'm not sure I agree that operatic training can apply to all kinds of singing. Certainly for stage performing (i.e. theatre), nothing beats operatic training, because it teaches you that powerhouse way of singing and projecting, etc. But for pop-style singing (i.e. to be a recording artist), methods are a bit different. For one, there's the use of a microphone, and that in itself is a technique to learn. You can definitely apply what you learn in operatic training to pop singing, but there are subtle differences...

Well, actually they DO use microphones on Broadway nowadays, because people's voices WERE dying, even with voice lessons! That's one of the reasons Michael Crawford and Sarah Brightman left the original Phantom after a short while on B-way...their voices, despite all the training, were getting weak. <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Geneva,Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Hmm, an SW musical, eh? Interesting idea.

Actually, Callie, we were talking about a MARA musical, LOL!

Oh, man...I really need to go see Aida again, LOL. Ever since I saw it, I've had the songs in my head and can't stop thinking about it. I told my mother I wanted to go again and she, of course, said, "But there are so many other shows to see." But there's onle ONE original cast, you know what I mean?

MTFBWYA,
    "T"

12. Jedi Callie

Jun 14, 1999
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Geneva,Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by taramidala:
    Originally posted by Jedi Callie: Actually, Callie, we were talking about a MARA musical, LOL!

I know you were LOL, that's why I tried to steer the conversation in a new direction

And yes, stage performers use mikes now too, but the mikes they use are different, so the technique is a little different too...

But there's also other stuff... Pop singing requires a different style than operatic singing, so even though the principles of breathing and projecting are the same, you do slightly different things with your voice with one or the other, so it takes some getting used to going from one method to the other (if that makes sense LOL). I know I had a hard time going from the voice training I got in high school (pop-style training) to the voice training I did in college (more operatic training). I'm so glad I got a chance to do both, but it was hard going from one to the other at first!

13. Jedi Trace

Jedi Trace Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 15, 1999
    Trace glances furtively around her house. DH is not home yet. DD is playing in her room. She inches down the hall to the spare room....uh-oh, a crash!...she listens...no crying....whew...just toys. She silently continues her quest until - Yes! There it is! An unattended computer! No podracing. No Winnie the Pooh. She represses the happy dance - don't want to get caught. "It's mine now. Mine." Must snap out of it and type fast before she has to start dinner.

Hunter: You're back!! I was beginning to think that you had found those winds and flown away for good!

JM: I'm with you! Give me Wicket any day over Jar-Jar.

Wormie: I don't go to the opera either - on purpose! I don't mind singing it, but it is not worth three hours of my life...as a rule. And you're right about my daughter. Poor kid never had a chance! Sounds like a bad situation with your sister. Sorry! My best friend (aka: adopted sister) lived with me for a while when her husband started using her as a punching bag. Fortunately, there were no children involved and she was not looking for a reconciliation. You are being wonderfully supportive, but if she's waiting for him to come back then you're kinda stuck! I'll be hoping that things work out, for the sake of the little boy, especially!

T: No, Mandy was not 'dissed! The man is adored in our house! He just makes all those high notes sound so easy!About the voice classification thing: yes, there are three different "types" of soprano voices, categorized by vocal tone, flexibility and the highest note that you can comfortably sing. Dramatic sopranos can sing comfortably around the high "A," Lyrics around the high "B-flat to B," and the Coloraturas top-off the high "C" and above range. Here's a link: http://encarta.msn.com/find/concise.asp?z=1&pg=2&ti=04C7A000 http://encarta.msn.com/find/concise.asp?z=1&pg=2&ti=04C7A000 FYI in case you wanted to figure out your voice classification!

Callie: Since we're on the subject, what kind of music do you sing/write? I don't think I've ever asked! And someone gave me the link to the SW Musical web site a while back, but it has been under renovation forever: http://newdream.net/StarWars http://newdream.net/StarWars

Must cook for the hungry mob now! Later all!

14. Jedi Callie

Jun 14, 1999
    Trace: I sing/write pop songs, mostly... My style has evolved over the years though LOL. Early on my songs were very bubblegum pop (but given my age, I guess that shouldn't be a surprise LOL). As I've gotten older, they've gone more in the pop/r&b genre. The songs I love the most--the ones I try hardest to emulate--are the type of songs that Mariah Carey or Whitney Houston would sing. I love those soulful ballads, gospel-tinged ballads, r&b flavored upbeat songs...

I struggle greatly with melodies because when I started out with songwriting, I always did the lyrics while my cousin did the music. So I consider myself more of a lyricist than a "true" songwriter (99% of the time, I will write a song with lyrics only, and then later have to scramble to find a melody to fit it), although if I work at it hard enough, I do manage to come up with my own melodies LOL. But as of right now, I guess I'm neither songwriter nor lyricist since for the last year I've had about the worst case of writer's block I've ever had in my entire life LOL. The songs have been hard to come by, and so I've focused more on my singing in the interim...

15. Jedi Trace

Dec 15, 1999
    the dreaded dp

[This message has been edited by Jedi Trace (edited 04-26-2000).]

16. Wormie2

Feb 22, 1999
  17. Wormie2

Feb 22, 1999
  18. Wormie2

Feb 22, 1999
    Soooooooooo

19. Wormie2

Feb 22, 1999
    BORED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

20. Wormie2

Feb 22, 1999
    Hey! Where's GAT? He isn't off sulking somewhere, is he? Please, please, please, tell me some of you showed up for the first chat.

21. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    T: My voice teacher tells me the greatest singers are probably sitting on their couches channel-surfing right now and they don't even know it. And, believe me, Patinkin is great. The man has natural talent- and that's someting that can never be taught. He has a very natural high range- much like another singer I really admire- Gary Morris.
    I've always said microphones are for wimps. Unfortunately, most theatres weren't designed to be acoustically optimal, so mics are a necessary evil.
    Most performers lose their voices because they do not use proper technique. Weakness comes from abuse of the vocal chords- straining to sing high notes and achieve volume, etc. Use of proper methods will greatly expand and preserve your voice. (Hey, Placido Domingo sounds absolutely fab after how many years????) Trust me, the lessons, while expensive, will be worth it if you're serious about your voice.
    And maybe Callie is right- an opera coach may not be the best choice if you want to sing pop. What matters is that they teach proper technique.

By the way, just watched Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat for about the twelfth time- I hate to admit it, but, Donny Osmond is great in it. But the narrator is all that and a bag of chips!

Speaking of SW musicals- when I brought it up, did anyone else immediately picture Bill Murray's lounge act from SNL?????

Okay, I'll shut up, now.

This rambling message brought to you by Emma-Wan-Kenobi, who kept daddy Jedi from getting very much sleep last night!

22. Emperor Palpatine

Emperor Palpatine Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 15, 1999
    Hmm, on the subject in our Chorus we have to sing Bridge over Trouble Water, The Water is Wide, Roses I Send to You, and In this Very Room.

Is anyone else in their Middle School or High School Chorus?

SPEAK UP!

23. Jedi Trace

Dec 15, 1999
    EP: I was in my HS choir! "Bridge Over Troubled Waters" is one of my *favorite* songs - Art Garfunkel style, of course!

Wormie: Forgot to say earlier, GO SEE RENT!! Unless you are offended by "modern" issues, it is one of the best modern musicals ever!!! (Some folks here in The Bible Belt left at intermission. Tell me y'all ain't that stuffy in Teeeexas! )

I'll ask again - has anyone gotten their SW Insider in the mail yet!?!

24. taramidala

Jun 18, 1999
    How nice, I can reply again. Will do so later.

"T"

25. Commander Antilles

Commander Antilles Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 21, 1999
    And about kriffing time!! mad.gif

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.