main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Calgary The People VS George Lucas - Underground Film Festival

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by Dooks, Apr 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dooks

Dooks Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 5, 2005
    If anyone is interested this movies is playing at this year's underground film festival. Here is the synopsis of the movie for those that don't know:

"The passion the original Star Wars trilogy inspires in its fans is unparalleled; but when it comes to George Lucas himself, many have found their ardor has cooled into a complicated love-hate relationship. This hilarious, heartfelt documentary delves deep into Lucas?s cultural legacy, asking all the tough questions. Has Lucas betrayed his masterwork? Should he just have left the original trilogy alone? Is The Phantom Menace so bad it should carry a health warning? Utilizing interviews taken from over 600 hours of footage from around the globe, and peppered with extraordinary Star Wars and Indiana Jones recreations lovingly immortalized in song, needlepoint, Lego, claymation, puppets and paper mâché, above all this film asks the question: who truly owns that galaxy far, far away?the man who created it, or the fans who worship it?"

The movie plays on Wednesday April 13th at 9:15pm at the Plaza Theater in Kensington. You can watch the trailer at www.calgaryundergroundfilm.org and get details on other films playing too.

I know I'm going to check this one out so if anyone else is interested in going please post here and we could have a meet up before the show.

2. echosevin

echosevin Jedi Master star 4

Mar 7, 2005
    The answer is: THE MAN WHO CREATED IT.

I'm gonna pass on this - everyone is entitled to their opinion, but personally, I don't support this one.

3. PreludeRM

PreludeRM FanForce CR, & Fanforce Council Calgary, Alberta star 4

Oct 28, 2002
    I'll pass on this as well

4. darthcurlybear

darthcurlybear Jedi Youngling

Mar 18, 2011
    Ryan saw your post and I would love to see this movie.Tried to send you a e-mail thru your e-mail on the Fan Force but it would not accept me. How much is it to get in and where would you like to meet.You can e-mail me at crazycraig71@hotmail.com

5. Dooks

Jul 5, 2005
    Stac and I will be at the plaza around 7:00pm ish if anyone wants to meet up.

6. Dooks

Jul 5, 2005
    Well the verdict for me on this documentary is..... Worth watching and if you missed it try and track it down and give it a watch. The movie is shot very well showing both sides of the debate and yes there are things that I don't agree with but still both sides rep well. The main thing is something made over 30 years ago still has a huge impact on people and pop culture today.

If you watch the film Neil Gaiman sums up the debate pretty awesome so I won't spoil it. But if your a Star Wars fan or a George Lucas fan give this one a watch. I'll talk more at the meeting on Sunday if anyone is interested.

7. StacyD

StacyD Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 6, 2006
    Anyone who's known me for any length of time knows that I've had my points of contention with the Maker, but I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised by TPVGL. It's an even-handed approach to looking at the man, his creations, and the fandom those creations inspired. Cases for both sides of the coin are presented and it's largely left to the viewer to decide for themselves which side of the issue they find themselves on. I'd definitely recommend it.

~StacyD

8. echosevin

echosevin Jedi Master star 4

Mar 7, 2005
    Was at Chinook yesterday and found out they're doing a special screening of this film, this Thursday, at 7 pm (one showing only). Regular ticket prices apply, I believe.

http://cineplex.com/Events.aspx

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.