main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT The Point of Anakin Having an Apprentice

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by CircaCitadel, Oct 10, 2012.

1. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Oh, please [face_praying] real soon, okay?

2. Lord Tyrannus

Lord Tyrannus Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 18, 2012
    Not yet. Need to think of some good ideas first. It might take some time.

3. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008
    Don't forget . . . Obi-Wan was allowed to make Anakin his apprentice right after he became a Knight. And honestly . . . he was no more ready for that role than Anakin was.

4. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    But obi wan was older than anakin. Like by 30 years or so.

5. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    SIxteen years. SIxteen. Officially. Per canon.

6. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    I know the novel said he was in his mid twenties, but he seemed so much younger in TPM -- like around twenty.

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  7. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    If Obi-Wan was 25 when he took his first apprentice- and Anakin was 20- that's a 5 year difference. Not huge.

Are there EU Jedi who became Knights, and took apprentices almost immediately afterward, when they were in that age range?

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  8. Tim Battershell

Tim Battershell Jedi Master star 5

Sep 3, 2012
    Jacen Solo? Admittedly it was informal and a few years after knighting.

9. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Ewan McGregor and I are the same age; therefore I know he was 25 when he filmed TPM.

As far as whether either he or Anakin were too young to take an apprentice, I think the Jedi would take maturity and skill level--and in Ahsoka's case, the mutual need to train and be trained--into account before chronological age. The Clone Wars movie and novelization indicates that the Council gave Ahsoka to Anakin as much for Anakin's development as for hers.

10. DRush76

Jan 25, 2008

Anakin was 9 years old when he became Obi-Wan's apprentice. Obi-Wan did not even have time enough to develop on his own as a Jedi Knight, when he became Anakin's master.

If that was the Jedi's idea of training, I believe it was not a good one.

11. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I was thinking of whether Obi-Wan was "more prepared" when he took on Anakin, than Anakin was when he took on Ahsoka".

Thus why the "5 year difference" - between "Mentor Obi-Wan" and "Mentor Anakin".

12. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Why not?

13. PMT99

PMT99 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 23, 2000
    Because Anakin is incapable of training himself, much less train a Jedi. He refuses to learn self-control nor self-discipline and I find it laughable that the Jedi council believes that Anakin can teach a jedi padawan those same attributes when they won't even grant him the rank of "master". They shouldn't even grant him the rank of Jedi knight and his actions with the Tuskens, Dooku, and post-Mace Windu's death shows us why.

windu4 likes this.
  14. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I don't think that the Jedi's rationale for giving Ahsoka to Anakin to train was a good one either. I do think that a person can learn by being put in a position to lead or teach because in such a situation, he or she has to learn and take responsibility for the material. However, Yoda's comment that giving Ahsoka to Anakin would teach him to "let go"...how exactly was that supposed to happen? Yoda ignored a basic part of Anakin's personality. Anakin does do anything halfway in his personal relationships--he cares passionately and therefore "letting go" and being "detached" is not something the Jedi can just tell him to do or teach him to do. I think there was plenty that Ahsoka could learn from Anakin, but giving a 20-year-old new Knight an apprentice (which from my understanding was not common practice, since apparently Obi-Wan getting an apprentice as a new Knight was unusual) in order to teach him to "let go" was not the best idea.

15. DRush76

Jan 25, 2008

Not one of them was capable of training him or herself.

And honestly? I believe the Jedi Council was just as wrong to allow Obi-Wan to train Anakin, so soon after becoming a Knight. He proved that he was not really prepared for the task, as he eventually confessed to Luke.

I believe that hardly any of them were good at letting go. Anakin certainly proved this. Padme proved this by insisting that her marriage to Anakin remain a secret. She seemed more terrified of the Jedi Order's influence on Anakin than the possibility of him getting killed during the war. And the actions and decisions of Obi-Wan, Mace and Yoda in AOTC and ROTS seemed to indicate that they were willing to do anything to maintain their position within the Republic and their existence.

minnishe likes this.
  16. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
  17. the_sinister_hologram

the_sinister_hologram Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 3, 2012
    It is possible that the Jedi Council felt some negative emotions slowly taking over Anakin. So they decided that perhaps having a young apprentice, just as eager as he once was, would change his overall attitude.
    And as far as I remember from TCW (I haven't watched too much of it), their relationship started a bit rough, but then it became friendship.

18. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    I thought Anakin was 10 yrs old in The Phantom Menace. TPM.

19. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Now they are basically like brother and sister

20. Tim Battershell

Tim Battershell Jedi Master star 5

Sep 3, 2012
    Does she still call him "Sky-Guy" though?

WIERD_GREEN_MAN likes this.
  21. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    No

22. CircaCitadel

CircaCitadel Jedi Padawan

Oct 10, 2012
    That was what drove me crazy. They both had nicknames as soon as they met each other.

WIERD_GREEN_MAN likes this.
  23. FatSmel

FatSmel Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 23, 2012
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

24. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    Agreed.

One of the dumbest rationalizations in all the saga.

25. LordMortis315

LordMortis315 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    No, though Anakin still calls her "Snips" on occasion.