main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Fanclub The Royal Handmaiden Society: Episode 9: Revenge of the Handmaidens

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by Knight-Ander, Feb 11, 2006.

1. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    Hmm, I guess Eirtaé has started to use coloured contact lenses and dyed her hair. But still that's so cool!

So that means that Sabé and Eirtaé are still around post-AOTC. Which of course begs the question; where were they in AOTC?

2. GentleBant

GentleBant Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 21, 1999
    Maybe just off-rotation? Hmmm...Maybe she has them doing some recon or something. :~)

I'm still of two minds on Teckla being there for Padme, but no "true" handmaidens...after all, they're with her before and after the Clone Wars, so why not during?

3. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    These are just some very loose thoughts.

Handmaidens seems to be an ingrained part of the Naboo court, eventhough most people seem to be unaware of what they are actually doing. Might it be so though that the role of the handmaiden is starting to change with the CW. Padmé is in more need of bodyguards than before, so maybe her newer handmaidens get more of that role. That would mean that the closer relationship that you see between her TPM handmaidens (at least if you read the few books) and Dormé, who was employed before the CW, might not be there, and instead she has Tekla, who gets to take on a more traditional "chamber maid" role.

I don't know when in the chronology the comic takes place, but maybe Eirtaé and Sabé are called in during an emergency situation, where Padmé's new handmaidens haven't really learnt their skills, but Tekla isn't up to the tasks required. Maybe it's in this time period that Dormé quits and Motée and Ellé are hired instead.

4. Dorme_of_Naboo

Dorme_of_Naboo Jedi Youngling

Feb 6, 2011
    May as well finally make it official:

I, Dorme_of_Naboo, pledge my full support to ensure that the RHS threads will continue in a fun but clean manner, in order to ensure our respect to the handmaidens whom we admire and adore.

As an official member of this thread, I will give my 100% support in order to make sure that the RHS continues in a fashion that is acceptable to everyone involved.

Herein where I cheat and copy/paste my LJ post:

"Been a Star Wars fan since I was a little squirt - likely fated since ANH opened on my 7th birthday though I don't recall watching it when I was that age. I've loved the idea of the Handmaidens and don't think that they get NEARLY enough respect. I've also known of the RHS for years but like a dolt, didn't know about the thread (s?) on theforce.net until last night. I'm trying to backread before joining/posting there but when I saw there was a LJ presence, I thought I'd make myself known here (have been a member of the other handmaiden community for years, don't post much)

By the icon based from artwork I had commissioned, you can see my favorite Handmaiden is Dormé and recently I've not just had a plotbunny, but a giant plot rabbit for her jump into my imagination. I'm hoping to weave the plot from slightly pre-AotC time all the way to post RotS and possibly later.

That's all for now! Thanks for listening and hopefully I can catch up on the active thread soon!"

And now that I've caught up, my laptop battery is in need of recharging. Alas!

Aaaanyway, hello again! Hope I can do justice to Dormé and the handmaidens in general and give at least one of them a respectable backstory.

5. Anakin_Skywalker20

Anakin_Skywalker20 Jedi Master star 5

Nov 16, 2000
    Nice to see this thread again. :D Out of all the handmaidens, Dorme is my fave... next to Padme and Sabe.

6. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    Welcome to the RHS!

And Eirtaé will always be my favorite, maybe because she's the only blonde. And after all she remains calm even in the middle of battle, or maybe she's more of a strategist than a shooter.

7. Dorme_of_Naboo

Feb 6, 2011
    Thank you!

I don't know a lot about Eirtaé but I like the idea of a handmaiden talented in the ways of strategy. It's a shame that it seems in the movies that their roles appear to be nothing more than being a moving target.

Besides the two roleplay books, the books based on the movies and the one or two Clone Wars eps (that I heard about but haven't gotten two yet, disk 3 of season one is on its way to me via Netflix), are there any other mentions or references about the Handmaidens? I'm thinking of exploring the female warrior/ fabled "Order of Sanctuary" on Naboo aspect mentioned in the one roleplay book as a way to flesh out their background.

8. GentleBant

Sep 21, 1999
    Welcome to the RHS!

There's the reference where Anakin rescues a couple of handmaidens who decoyed for Padmé, and Sabé is written as having moved to Alderaan to sort of "watch Leia" and tutor her and Winter. There are handmaidens in the video games, as well.

9. Cailina

Cailina Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 1999
    *sneaks back into thread*
    I should really stop disappearing for years. >.> <.<

Glad to see this thread is still around ^_^

10. Dorme_of_Naboo

Feb 6, 2011
    Thanks! I need to check in more often since notifications don't come but that's fine :)

Oooh! Do you know where it's written about Sabé (fanfic or published?)

11. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    If you read the notation on wookieepedia, the info about Sabé tutoring Leia seems to come from The Force Unleashed Campaign Guide.

12. Dorme_of_Naboo

Feb 6, 2011
    Thank you, Obi Anne, I don't know why I hadn't yet read the Wookiepedia entry for Sabé. It appears there's more information in her profile that relates to general information about the handmaidens than the handmaiden page.

It makes me glad that I've chosen Dormé to write about since she appears to be less defined. I've been trying to find more references to the rumored Order of Sanctuary that is allegedly mentioned in a roleplay guide (don't have that guide) but there don't appear to be any more of those, so I suppose I have some creative freedom to give that a history as well. I'm going on the assumption that not necessarily all of handmaidens would have to be from that Order

13. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    I think when it comes to handmaiden I think you have a lot of creative freedom.

14. Knight-Ander

Knight-Ander Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 19, 2002
    Whew, it's been such a long time since I've actually logged-in that I forgot my password for a moment there! :oops:

Just jumping in to wave hello to everyone and to welcome the new members.[face_dancing]

All this Dormé talk has reminded me to add Wicker Park (featuring Rose Byrne) to the Josh Harnett movie-marathon I had planned for this weekend. :)

15. Dorme_of_Naboo

Feb 6, 2011
    Hi!

It seems Rose has had a LOT of roles lately. There's a new thriller called Insidious (not my thing), a comedy with SNL gals called Bridesmaids (where it looks like she plays the snooty perfect one) and then she's going to be in the new X Men movie (which I'd like to see her character in that)

I also have Get Him to the Greek next on my Netflix list after I saw her hilarious risqué songs on youtube.

16. GentleBant

Sep 21, 1999
    Looks like Padmé will be back in battlemaiden gear for season 4 of Clone Wars....

17. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    I really need to pick up CW soon, I haven't seen anything but the film yet. I have a plan to buy the seasons so I can watch them without interruptions, but it just never seems to happen.

But, yay, for battle maiden garb. A lot better than always having her wear white, tight jumpsuits.

18. Dorme_of_Naboo

Feb 6, 2011
    Netflix was my friend when it came to catching up on Clone Wars - with the exception of the season 3 ones that I hope they rerun. It's interesting because I normally can't get into an animated series but they've done so well with Clone Wars that I'm addicted.

It would be nice if they'd put more than just Teckla's storyline in - it grates to watch Padmé running around with only Jar Jar and Threepio for protection.

19. GentleBant

Sep 21, 1999
    Yeah...I'm not entirely sure I count JarJar as much protection. :~)

You'd think that since she handmaidens in AOTC, and has handmaidens in ROTS, there'd be at least one or two lurking around in the background somewhere! We should start a campaign.

20. Dorme_of_Naboo

Feb 6, 2011
    If real life would ease up a tad, I'm hoping to get a book or two written that'll hopefully give the handmaidens a better image

But a campaign couldn't hurt!

21. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    For many years now I've been thinking about the gold throne gown, and one of the big problems have been how to do the pleating. And even if it's not on my to-do list at the moment I'm very happy that I might have a starting point.

[image=http://histvarld.historiska.se/draekter/vkvinna/i/rynk3b.jpg]

This is from a reconstruction of a viking age undergown. The pleats are made by sewing a lot of stitches across the fabric, as when you do hand gathering, then the whole fabric is immersed in hot water. The threads are tightened and then you let the fabric dry.

You don't get the very fine, even pleats that are in the original costume, but it might be an alternative to box pleating a whole fabric.

22. Dorme_of_Naboo

Feb 6, 2011
    By the looks of that sample, I think it would look perfect for the gold throne gown. It's lovely and I hope that it works for your project!

23. GentleBant

Sep 21, 1999
    Very nice!

24. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    People at work looked at me a bit funny when I read the local paper and suddenly just laughed. It was an article about a trainer and his horse, and the horse was named Cordé! (it was 13 years old though, so probaly not named after the handmaiden)

25. GentleBant

Sep 21, 1999
    Probably not! But still a funny moment