main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

RPR Archive The RPF Community Council

Discussion in 'Role Playing Resource Archive' started by NaboosPrincess, Dec 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dark-Enigma

Dark-Enigma Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 8, 2006
    Revenge of the Sith was PG-13, but I concur that it should be kept within the PG range.

2. LightWarden

LightWarden Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 11, 2001
    Hypothetically speaking, you're not allowed to use this board without being 13 years of age anyways. So PG-13 is perfectly arguable, unless the mods wish to say otherwise.

3. NaboosPrincess

NaboosPrincess Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 14, 2001
    It's up to the site owner, and he has dictated the PG-rule, so it doesn't really have anything to do with the age of people posting here.

4. DarthValorous

DarthValorous Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 15, 2006
    Albeit you are correct in who employs the boards, there are still children beneath the age of thirteen who have access to them. I think that that is why the rule is in place, and I believe it should remain that way. There are plenty of other forums with more mature expositions, and the tenets of this system should not be contravened or diversified, in my conception. :)

5. Dubya_Scott

Dubya_Scott Jedi Master star 5

Jun 11, 2002
    Yeah, I know it was PG-13. And it's because of all the death and the finale on Mustafar...Anakin missing limbs and burning in the lava. Was there even any blood in the original trilogy? I mean, besides the Special Edition version of the wampa? Now that I think about it, they did show Owen and Beru's scorched skeletons...

6. alpha_red_83

alpha_red_83 Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 2, 2005
    Yeah there was blood in the Original Trilogy. The part where Ben chops off that guy's (Dr. Evezan?) arm. You see blood on the floor.

7. Darth_Vaders_cousin

Darth_Vaders_cousin Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 12, 2004
    I've always played under the assumption it was a PG-13 forum. According to the list of "allowable" curse words in the FF Forums, It is the same as a PG-13 movie or TV-14 televsion show.

8. DarthSeti5

DarthSeti5 Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 6, 2001
    Ah, but "curse" words are only a small part of the greater picture (however, let me just say that in a PG-13 movie in the US, you can have one instance of the "F" word and that is completely illegal here, so the curse-word analogy is not quite apt). Talk to some FanFic authors and you'll find out just how "PG" this forum is--homosexual relationships, relationships between humans and aliens, the intensity of graphic posts (for both violence and sexuality), etc. It has been long-standing policy (i.e., since I arrived here over five years ago) that this is a "PG" or "family-friendly" forum. How far one can test this standard can be a slipery slope, I'm sure. It would probably be in an RPer's best interest to send posts of a possibly questionable nature to a Mod to preview it. I've seen some pretty intense stuff in the RPF (I've written some of it) and none of it has been questioned. But, as a general rule of thumb, it might be wise to self-censor your posts or run them by a Mod if you get that little feeling in the back of your head that your post might just bump up against the line.

~ DS5

9. LightWarden

LightWarden Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 11, 2001
    Or just go by the classic maxim...

It's only illegal if you get caught.

10. DarthSeti5

Jan 6, 2001
    I was wondering if we have (or should have) some sort of policy on "My [Insert # Here]'th Post Party" threads. I understand that it can be quite a celebration to hit 5,000 or 10,000 posts, especially if most of them have been made while role playing. Maybe it's just a coincidence, but 3 of the first 10 posts in RPF are "Post Parties."

~ DS5

11. Imperial_Hammer

Imperial_Hammer Manager Emeritus: RPFs star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 25, 2004
    *Hands in the air*

I didn't do it! :p

Fact of the matter is, the authorities can lock mine up...

What needed to be done has been done...

As to the other two threads that followed mine, I think its pretty coincidental...

That is, we haven't had much of that all before...

I would not be opposed to establishing a rule about people posting those threads only if they have been active in the RPF for some amount of posts or length of time...

If users chocked up a majority of their posts in other threads, I would not think it right for them to post their celebratory threads in the RPF...

Rather, let them do it in the forum where they most visit...

-I_H

12. DarthSeti5

Jan 6, 2001
    It's certainly not your thread that concerns me, I_H. It's simply the breadth of threads that popped up so quickly. I'm concerned that we could get inundated by these kinds of threads, esp. from people who really aren't that ingrained in the RP community. Now I don't know what we want to define as a part of our community, but someone with only a few posts across the Role Playing boards might not be the kind of person we want celebrating in our forums.

~ DS5

13. LightSide_Apprentice

LightSide_Apprentice Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 22, 2001
    With regards to celebration threads, they should, ideally be directed elsewhere. There are community forums on the JC, mosy notably the Jedi Council Community for a great deal of things that are more social in nature. The RPF has been established primarily for role playing, and while it is a role playing community, it isn't really a social community. Threads of this nature will be locked in due course, or they will find themselves drifing naturally to rarely visited pages once the 'party is over'. It will be at the moderator's discretion as to whether or not these things are left open, or locked at some point in time.

In other news, I think it is worth mentioning that the primary reasons for this Council's creation seemed to stem from the need to have member involvement in the direction and course of the RPF, particularly given its stage of growth. Many thanks to all of those who have been a part of it. The Resource Forum and Non-Star Wars Role Playing Forum have been given a very strong and positive start. Needless to say, things would not have gone so smoothly without the help and support of each of those that were involved leading up to, and in the days that followed, these developments.

Given the nature of this thread and recent discussion topics, it seems somewhat unnecessary to leave this Council open to discussion of random topics that are so widely open to debate that they may never become policy, or receive wide acceptance. That is not to say that the arguments and comments presented have not been valuable, because I know that is certainly not the case. This thread, and its purpose, have been fulfilled as best as it seems they were ever going to be. All future concerns can be redirected to either NaboosPrincess or myself. We're closing this one for now, and looking upon it as a successful venture.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.