main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

RPR Archive The RPF Family Tree: A Poll

Discussion in 'Role Playing Resource Archive' started by Darth_Elu, Jun 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Elu

Darth_Elu Chosen One star 7

Jan 2, 2003
    This was Approved by Both Imperial_Hammer & Saintheart

I come to you all here now to pose a few simple questions so I can create the RPF Family Tree. For you see, I think of Masters on the RPF as parents. And the apprentices/padawans...children. And through that, a tree is formed.

Here, without further ado, are the questions. Please post with your answers.

Who was your master on the boards? And if none, who was your Main/First inspiration that you tried to emulate and thus became an indirect master of yours?

You don't need to state your padawans/apprentices as that'll be pretty much seen through here. :p

2. spacelady

spacelady Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    You know I looked up to you like a master, Elu! [face_batting] [face_love]

3. Darth_Elu

Jan 2, 2003
    Yes, I know. ;) [face_love]

And I of course had no master. But I did look up to greyjedi125. And so he was my unwitting tutor. :p

4. greyjedi125

greyjedi125 Chosen One star 6

Apr 29, 2002
    Wow.. I had no clue that was the case, Elu. I'm just glad I crossed all my 't's and dotted all my 'i's as much as I could. :p

I'm both honored an flattered.

Ironically, Like yourself, I had no direct 'Master' per say, however, there were two players that influenced me heavily.

The first was GreyJediAntarFodoh. He was the first GM I RPed under.

Soon after that, I became an unofficial acolyte of the Legendary LightSide_Apprentice. It was under his influence that my RPing and GMing skills really flourished- and to think I believed I couldn't get it right all along. Seriously.

It would be years before I ever even thought of adopting anyone as a player.

The experience was not quite what I expected. :p

But yeah, I consider both AntarFodoh and LSA as mentors. I hope that helps your research.
    ;)

5. Winged_Jedi

Winged_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 28, 2003
    I'm another who has to say that I saw my mentor as gj125. Without a doubt. I joined IBOP as a newbie, and his encouragement and advice from an early stage was the biggest factor in my improvement as a player. The OOC dynamic transferred into the game as two of his characters ended up mentoring two of mine.

LSA also influenced me heavily, though I guess that goes for so many of us. Always highly organised, patient and professional in his approach, and always happy to answer my countless questions. Definitely saw him as someone to look up to.

6. AlphaRay

AlphaRay Jedi Youngling

May 25, 2008
    Being a newcomer, I'm looking to pretty much everyone here for ways to improve my writing. But officially, my mentor is darth_nemisis. And he's a great one.

7. DarthXan318

DarthXan318 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 12, 2002
    Heh, I'm another one of LSA's trainees, so to speak. Balance of Power was the first game I joined on the RPF as an utter, complete newbie, and LSA was the unfailingly patient GM willing to answer all manner of absurd questions. He also - and this is perhaps most important - threw all manner of challenges in my direction (up to and including "As of today, you're in charge of the Sith." "Say what?!"), which forced me to grow and improve a great deal faster than I would have otherwise, I think. Everything I know about RPing is based on what I learnt in IBOP.

Also, grey and Ktala. I can't quite quantify the results of their influence, only that I'm definitely a better player from following their advice and examples. Seriously, I looked up to all three of them greatly, and still do in fact.

... Good luck drawing a tree. So far, it seems to more closely resemble a directed graph. :p

8. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    First GM I roleplayed under was Sinrebirth, who also recruited me into roleplaying and explained the basics of it. For the example that I follow when designing and participating in RPGs, that would be Imperial_Hammer.

9. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Imperial Hammer was my adopter, but Trimaj my true teacher of sorts. I adopted Bluebeast2397 (apologies to all), and nothing since!

10. DarthSolar

DarthSolar Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 4, 2008
    Can i be the drunken uncle?

11. Darth_Elu

Jan 2, 2003
    Thank you for the response! *scribbles notes frantically* :p

And yes, Solar...except you're just a child still!....probably the brat. [face_plain]

12. DarthSolar

DarthSolar Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 4, 2008
    In fact a young adult. I'm 18 this year so... Stroppy teenager?

13. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    Just when I thought this place couldn't get any nerdier.

14. slumvillage

slumvillage Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 16, 2005
    Sai-Mera_Saa was my mentor when i first started rping and had a huge influence on me, aswell as Tyi-Maet_Nefer who i looked up to as an rper.

15. darth_nemisis

darth_nemisis Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 15, 2004
    Interesting idea. :D My main inspirations were definitely: Lightside_Apprentice, greyjedi125, Ktala and Darth-Dispicable/Despised1. I read these guys/girl posts and was just like: Wow, I hope that, someday, I can post as good as these posters. I still don't think I've accomplished it...

Thanks! :)

16. Darth_Joesha

Darth_Joesha Jedi Master star 4

Apr 22, 2004
    I think that obviousy NP is the grandmother (though not in the old sense) of everyone on this board! But when I joined I was always in awe of Ktala's posts I still have wonderful dreams where I can write long, interesting posts like her. No luck yet! And I see all the guys that did System Lords as my brothers (so BLemisk, Imp_Hammer, Sith_Lords, Winged, MasterPrenn you're all part of my boards family!)

17. Mikaboshi

Mikaboshi Force Ghost star 6

Jul 12, 2005
    The first roleplayer I seriously looked up to and tried to model myself after was Shadowmancer (even though I am not even close to that level yet), that was around 2004 while the IBOP series was still going.

Though Shadowmancer was my main inspirado there have been two others as well that I try to look towards for insperation. Those being greyjedi128 and Ktala, both are extremely good writers and have a knack of drawing you into their world through their posts.

That reminds me, I have a post to make in someone's Dojo. ;)

18. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    I've been mentored by Earwen_Lightrider as part of the adoptions program, and I_H is always ready and willing to debate and discuss things...

In terms of who I look up to, I'd have to say Winged_Jedi and Saintheart. They always seem cool, calm and collected and always bring their A-game.

19. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    I guess the people I looked up to were LordDarthUmbrus, pashatemur, and the rest of the freaks from Galaxy at War, a game I was involved with for a brief but important period of time. The quality of writing that they consistently dish out is, frankly, awesome.

And Impy taught me quite a bit in terms of game design. Mostly how to make my opening posts look pretty. :p

20. Teegirloo

Teegirloo Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 26, 2005
    This is cool, my inspirational mentors going back to my first rp's are Dark-Enigma and Winged_Jedi.

21. Dark-Enigma

Dark-Enigma Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 8, 2006
    :eek:

I feel old.

22. Teegirloo

Teegirloo Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 26, 2005
    Old Fart!:p

23. spacelady

spacelady Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    *laughs to herself* I wonder how that one will work out. :p

24. Imperial_Hammer

Imperial_Hammer Manager Emeritus: RPFs star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 25, 2004
    Elu was my offical adopter, that worked the closest with me for fielding my ideas and such.

As to unofficial inspirations, its definitely Ktala, Jello, NP, LSA, GreyJedi and Winged...

You know, those same old suspects. ;)

-I_H

25. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000
    "My style is de art of fightink widdout fightink..." :D

I was ronin when I came to these forums; no official master as such, I simply joined up and ran with it.

In terms of which user I followed the most for GMing, it would definitely be LightSide_Apprentice and his IBOP style. May I specifically say, though, that my GMing style has shifted thanks to Imperial_Hammer's ryu. :D

My first teachers in terms of good roleplaying way back in '03-'04 were Ktala and a guy named Kai_Halicon who were inspirational.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.