main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

RPR Archive The RPF Summer Challenge

Discussion in 'Role Playing Resource Archive' started by Imperial_Hammer , May 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Imperial_Hammer

Imperial_Hammer Manager Emeritus: RPFs star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 25, 2004
    Yes... another week you shall have.

I understand it takes a while to get all comfy-cozy with eachother...

I will likely do like last time and run two side-by-side. ;)

-I_H

2. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    *Licks the spoon clean*

Sorry RachelTyrell, I had a late offer of partnership from Kalio Dynkos, with whom I have collaborated in the past, and, well, we survived the same blaster-blaze round the back of an Alderaanian hotel in Star Wars...007.

Plus he offered me a tub of Haagen Daz ice cream to seal the deal, and I'm a cheap date.

*shrugs*

3. The Great No One

The Great No One Jedi Grand Master star 8

Jun 4, 2005
    thanks for the time extension hammer. should prove HIGHLY useful.

rachel, i'd do one with you as well... but i'm unsure if me doing two would be allowed?

*looks at hammer*

if you don't find someone, and hammer'll allow it, i'd be more than happy to work together with you as well.:)

4. darth_nemisis

darth_nemisis Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 15, 2004
    Awesome. Thanks, I_H. That's definitely going to be very beneficial. :)

No Trimaj, you cannot do two. (There Imp, I answered it for you!)

Of course, I am only messing around. :p

5. Imperial_Hammer

Sep 25, 2004
    Yes you may Trimaj, *but* to keep things fair you can get colors and Challenge Credit for only one of them.

So if you want to do two, just let me know which team you are placing your bets on, and then there you are. If that team wins, you'll get the win just like any other candidate. If the team that you didn't put your stock in wins, only your partner will get the colors and win.

-I_H

6. Yuul_Shamar

Yuul_Shamar Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2004
    I know its late but anyone need a partner?(not likely but thought I'd ask anyway)

7. RachelTyrell

RachelTyrell Jedi Master star 3

Feb 15, 2009
    I am partnered, thanks guys. No need to bow rules for me :) Is there a second gametheory contest somewhere along the line?

8. Mikaboshi

Mikaboshi Force Ghost star 6

Jul 12, 2005
    Doesn't look like it.

I am looking forward to the character design challenges though, and really wish I didn't miss the first two. Character design is one of the best parts of gaming IMO.

~wonders what Program Challenge is~

9. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    Another game design challenge up this week?

Hehehe....I may finally be able to participate again!

10. Imperial_Hammer

Sep 25, 2004
    A little busy this weekend, being my first back at home in Southern California and such...

Probably will get the results and new contest and all that up on Monday sometime...

Consider the extra day or so a welcome extension. ;)

-I_H

11. Imperial_Hammer

Sep 25, 2004
    Alright!

After a little delay there, we are back in the action.

Back-and-forths are up in the portfollio thread. I'll have a verdict for them up tomorrow probably. I think I have em all... if not, let me know. :)

We're actually going to shake up the schedule a tad, which I am going to update right after finishing this post. Because we lost a 4th of July themed challenge due to our running behind, I am going to be pushing and pulling some areas to fill that hole.

So next up, is, ironically enough, the Programs challenge. I want to keep two "different" challenges between the game design and character design pairs, so I'll move this one up.

The Eighth Summer Challenge

Create an opening post for an RPR Program, Guild, or Service.

I'm going to be judging this closely like how I would judge a game. I'm looking for both novelness and especially usefulness of the concept, as well as how the rules work and if the program seems workable. Think of it as trying to make one of these "public works" threads that pop up every now and then. In short, the one that I think would be best for the RPR will be the easy win here.

I figure there will be some questions here, so PM me or post em up. One week, as always, unless an extension is required. So lets put it at 7/27 for the end of this one. :)

Thanks, and I look forward to what you guys come up with here! Has the potential to be very interesting! :)

-I_H

12. TheGoodImperial

TheGoodImperial Jedi Knight star 2

May 17, 2009
    Are the movierights to the LordT&SirakRomar collaboration still available :D Please open the game this scene was in!

13. Winged_Jedi

Winged_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 28, 2003
    I really need the time to properly read the entries to the last one.

Skimmed them though and spotted The Garage! The hub of Glasgow's famous (and sometimes infamous) nightlife. Been there myself a few times. I think I was there the night something similar happened, but with knives. :p

14. SirakRomar

SirakRomar Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 30, 2007
    Well, we might have been there the same time Winged. My fav place to go when I am in G. [face_peace]

15. Imperial_Hammer

Sep 25, 2004
    Alrighty... as promised. :)

Victory goes to LordT and Sirak

As usual, each set had their own strengths and weaknesses. I-5/Kalio definitely had the most creative and entertaining writing. A sort of two (three?) way cross-over between Star Wars-Transformers-Real Life. I-5 shined in his forte, humorous writing, and Kalio kept astride as well, playing the formal yet quirky foil. However, I felt the writing to be more dialogue focused, and didn't pay enough service to what exactly was going on. In an action heavy scene like that, I felt a bit overwhelmed by everything that was happening. I had people disappearing on me, I had autobots and decepticons popping up, I had a couple of scenes were people talked a lot, and the other player had to fill in to keep the dialog smooth. I think a bit more "overstory" and a bit more backstory would work very well to reign in this more chaotic series.

On the exact other end of the spectrum is the Fins/Trimaj set up. While I understand this was done with a purpose outside of this contest, I also think this might have hurt your chances here by constraining you to a conservative entry. While I-5/Kalio seems to have done too much, you guys could have done much more. Your entry is really just a dialogue. A good dialogue, but really just two people talking. The other two entries have action and talking, and compared to these more ambitious entries, so long as they are moderately good, they're going to be more impressive to a judge than a well executed but relatively safe entry. Again, don't get me wrong, its good, but others are better. I also wouldn't have minded having some more background. I have a feeling that the setup was made for those who followed your storyline in Aria. Those who didn't might find themselves a little confused.

LordT and Sirak manage to strike the right blend. We join their characters in a firefight. Its a simple enough setting that we're not getting lost, just two people fighting it out in a bar. Yet also, they craft the story around the lost wife, and they play with their characters to give us views into their tortured souls. This is true to their style, and they continue to play true to their styles in their bombshell at the end that Sirak's character is the daughter of LordT's. This is a great twist which I enjoyed, and shows what can be done when you either 1.) work with someone you are comfortable with, or 2.) work closely together behind the scenes on a scenario. This is something everyone can do with enough proper planning. I also greatly enjoyed the fact that the posts were on the shorter side here. In a back-and-forth, trying to cram too much in each post leads to people having to backtrack, placing responses in where they were not in the original post. This makes for an awkward read that creeps along. This pairing said what they needed to say, and then moved along. In short, this pair did an ambitious set up, had a twist, worked with a flowing story, focused on dialogue and background, and all the while infused their set up with an emotional situation. Its a good thing, and so it wins.

Congrats. You'll get your day of colors right up! :)

-I_H

16. DarkLordoftheFins

DarkLordoftheFins Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 2, 2007
    Congratulations to both of you! An amazing scene. Almsot a short-story in it´s own way, telling me so much and leaves me wanting more :D

17. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    I didn't want to prejudice any decision before it was made, but I knew Kalio and my effort had been blown away and left in a ditch by Sirak and LordT's, as soon as I read it.

18. Kalio_Dynkos

Kalio_Dynkos Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 17, 2004
    Ha, ha! Yes. Bowing to the masters in this competition. Well done! Would have chosen the same thing myself.

19. Seremela

Seremela Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 12, 2008
    Congrats, Sirak and LordT! =D= =D=

I enjoyed reading all the entries, great writing all of them, but yes, yours was a storyline that took me right in and had a very poignant twist.

20. LordTroepfchen

LordTroepfchen Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2007
    Too much of the honors. Actually it was great fun writing this iwth lovely SirakRomar. And I loved both your scenes. The multi-crossover was great fun! And I am eager to "meet Mr. Prest" soon . . . as a teaser it was really scary . . .

21. Imperial_Hammer

Sep 25, 2004
    Alright...

As forseen, RL is dragging me down, but we shall continue forth!

The winner for Challenge 8 is DarklordoftheFins!

By virtue of he being the only one submitting! Congratulations for your interesting idea for a Game Master's Guild, which can be found in the Portfolio thread. :)

Let us move on then!

Challenge #9

Design a strategy game.

Straight and simple. No forum or franchise restrictions. The definition of a strategy game for the purpose of this contest is any game that involves both 1.) a shop (or some other means) through which instruments/personnel can be purchased and 2.) an element through which holdings/properties/worlds/land/etc. can be captured/contested. System Lords is an example of a strategy game, but it should be noted that I will have an eye out for System Lords clones (the same system with just a different dressing). Make sure that your strategy game is noticeably different than System Lords.

Playablity/Mechanics will be a stronger point of judgment for this contest, while the rest of the usual judging elements of creativity, presentation, story, etc. will be of their normal strengths.

Any questions can be PMed to me or posted here as usual.

Best!
    -I_H

22. SirakRomar

SirakRomar Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 30, 2007
    Congrats Fin. I wanted to give you a run for your money, but I am afraid Strategy Games and me are just like . . . elephants and whales . . . they will nevr be seen in the same room :D

23. DarthXan318

DarthXan318 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 12, 2002
    Looks like Fins is leading the standings. :D

24. The Great No One

The Great No One Jedi Grand Master star 8

Jun 4, 2005
    well, ramza, peng and i HAD one we were working on once upon a time...

25. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    A strategy game... damn Winged for making chess. :p]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.