main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Wash, DC The Sewing Thread

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by Velvetdragon, Feb 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Maleficant

Maleficant Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 16, 2002
    Nope WD, trust me in this, you don't want a cheap machine for leather because it probably can't sew through vinyl. This I learned the hard way.

When making certain capes, you will need to gather the neckline and sew through it, a cheap machine will have a hard time doing that simple task too.

2. Velvetdragon

Velvetdragon Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 15, 2004
    Well I have a hard time winding the thread, first of all, it ends up way too loose, and then when I sew with it the bobbin thread loops and looks like sort of bunches on the back side of the material. I'm not sure how to fix this, I've turned every dial and it still does the same thing. I think I dropped the sewing machine once too (that poor old thing) so it might just be slitting its wrists slowely.

Chrissy

3. Maleficant

Jun 16, 2002
    VD, if you think it is worth it, take it in for service. I have a Bernina and it's doing the bunching thing too. I've tried every trick I know to try to fix it too.

4. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    Yes, sounds like the tension's screwed up. It happens on mine, too (but the old girl is older than I am, so I can empathize). It never hurts to take the machine in at the start of Sewing Season (which for me begins right about now and runs until August). They'll clean out everything and adjust your tension for you. There's a point where the tension is so messed up that nothing you do yourself will fix it, so that's the service time. I try to keep track of when I last had it in, so I know and it's a regular schedule.

He keeps trying to sell me a new one, and every year I just don't have the money... keep frittering it away on cons & fabric! :) Besides, I'd rather get a surger first...

5. Maleficant

Jun 16, 2002
    Oh yeah I want a Baby Loc serger soooo bad, but the one I want is $1000 so I have to wait. :(

6. Cinnea

Cinnea Retired FanForce CR, Washington DC star 4

Jul 15, 2002
    I've got my mom's sewing macine sitting on my dining room table right now and I've discovered that the owner's manual is the best thing ever. That tension thing happened constantly when I was making Jedi clothes, but so far so good with the bellydancing skirt.

After EFF is fine with me for a workshop - must have new costume for Shore Leave, and Balticon if possible!

And welcome WD! Hm. WD. VD. It's alphabetical. And man, those fliers paid off!

7. Wolfdog

Wolfdog Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 18, 2004
    Hey, that means the next newbie'll be XD, which would look kinda cool for them. hmmm.... I wonder what Roman numeral "XD" is, anyway.....

8. Mistress_Renata

Sep 9, 2000
    110, I think.

9. strangebehaviour

strangebehaviour Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 11, 2002
    I keep thinking this thread says Swing...

If anyone wants to teach me, I am willing to learn how to sew. :)

10. Wolfdog

Wolfdog Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 18, 2004
    Actually, I think XD is 490 now that I've looked it up.

11. ecila

ecila Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 9, 2002
    Hi,
    I would be interested in joining the sewing workshop too!

I have made one jedi robe, and I have a yoda costume and several of Padme's dresses on my to do list. I want to make the light blue Tantooine Padme outfit first. I am notoriously slow when I make costumes, because I am a perfectionist - it easily took me two months to finish anything last year. I was so excited when my husband bought me a serger for Christmas, and now I can get costumes completed much quicker (like only a month ;))! I love my serger!

I also want to recommend the TF.N costuming and props forum; its a terrific resource for pretty much every SW costume. Go to the first thread for a extremely well laid out index of costumes.

cheers,
    ecila

ps. strangebehavior - I am not an expert, but I would be happy to teach you what I know about sewing.

12. strangebehaviour

strangebehaviour Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 11, 2002
    well thank you, Ecila! :)

13. DarthDrew

DarthDrew Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 26, 2002
    I would love to have a designing/sewing get-together. I've been wanting to do a full Jedi costume for a while but haven't had the motivation. Please let me know if anyone organizes a meeting.

14. Maleficant

Jun 16, 2002
    Ok I can do either a sewing teaching class, but it would be just basic stuff, or a costume building workshop sometime in the second half of April after Empire Fan Fest.

So tell me what everyone wants and we'll go from there.

15. PtrsonsZOO

PtrsonsZOO Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 30, 2001
    If you are doing the Cape for the Endor Leia, here's a sponge-dyeing tutorial I wrote :D

I'll have tutorials for the cloth flight helmet and the cape done in the next month or so, as well. :D

Look for a Basic Costuming Presentation to be uploaded to that site sometime in April. :) We're putting it together for a local Con and will have the powerpoint up on the web, and maybe even the video of the presentation :)

We also hope to have our own costuming for dummies series up soon, but college has taken up a great deal of our costuming webmaster's time lately :p ;)

And workshoping is sooooooooo much fun w/ FanForce groups! We've done several in our group and they are always a blast... We now refer to them as Sith Sweatshops! [face_laugh]

16. Mistress_Renata

Sep 9, 2000
    15 yards of cheap white muslin (for the mockup)closer to a Naboo Battlemaiden outfit! (After pricing burgundy velvet, I figured I wanted to screw up on the $0.99 per yard stuff...)

If anyone is going to be at FanFest, maybe we can put our heads together one night and plan some sewing workshop days?

(Costuming/Props is a great board, too!) I think some of the folks from RebelLegion (Republic costuming) live in our area, maybe we can get in touch? And we've got Lori & Maleficent from the 501st. Good resources, nice people. :)

17. Velvetdragon

Feb 15, 2004
    Saddly, I won't be at Fanfest, there's just not enough time and money for me in the next couple of months. Why is EVERYTHING happening in May? Oh well. And April I've got to visit in-laws (they are nice people, but all the way in North Dakota). March I have to save money. But I can definately make it to a session around here when we have one.

Chrissy
    Velvetdragon

18. Maleficant

Jun 16, 2002
    WEll maybe it would be more fair if we decided at least the date for the first wokrshop here on the boards. That way we won't leave anyone out who is interested in attending, so since everyone knows I am free after Empire Fan Fest, someone chime in on a date to get together.

19. DarthDrew

DarthDrew Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 26, 2002
    Definitely should be after April 15 because of tax day. Anyone who (a) hasn't done their taxes and/or (b) works in the financial services industry will be waaaaayyy too busy around the first 15 days.

After all is said and done, I would like to end up with an Ep I Jedi outfit. Should I pick up the supplies before-hand or will someone do a bulk buy for everyone?

20. Cinnea

Cinnea Retired FanForce CR, Washington DC star 4

Jul 15, 2002
    $0.99 is the way to go for fabric to screw up on. But we won't screw up....

As for dates, I'm pretty free any time after EFF - of course, that can change at a moment's notice.....

21. stateless

stateless Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 30, 2002
    Anytime after EFF is okay with me (and presumably TK, I think she is interested also). If we're looking at weekends in April after EFF, there is only one: the 24/25th. I would prefer that to the first weekend in May. Or later in May. Whichever. :D

22. Mistress_Renata

Sep 9, 2000
    24/25 would work for me, though Sundays are better than Saturdays, usually. May is going to be terrible; lots of weddings and I'm still sort of hoping to get to Balticon. We'll see...

23. Maleficant

Jun 16, 2002
    I am free the last weekend of April and the first 2 weekends in May.

Should I set up a poll to see what everyone wants to do?

As far as fabric goes, when I was in Philly we sometimes did shopping trips for fabric and that would work out best since everyone wants to do different costumes. It will be hard in April to pull off a fabric shopping trip. Is there a garment or fabric district in the DC Metrop area? Since I am still new in these parts I need someone to help me out on this.

And what does everyone want to do during this workshop? Would this be a shopping trip, a sewing class or a costume workshop?

24. PadawanRoo

PadawanRoo Jedi Master star 1

Aug 7, 2003
    oooh, costuming!

::falls back onto the face of the planet; finds a chair; abandons it::

I likes me some costuming. I'm no good through most of april, but my schedule clears a bit after the first weekend in May. I can contribute a sewing machine to the effort.

Sergers are useful. We have them in the costume shop at MC (being a costume student rocks- extra fabric, costume-borrowing privilages, and access to the shop. Life if good. Except it's not now, because Footloose opens wednesday, and life is more like crazy). And yes, Sewing for Dummies= awesome.

Will anybody be going to Balticon? I'm going to be dressed as a Zeltron, and will need costume hands if anyone wants brownie points (delivered with real brownies). Mostly help with prosthetics and makeup.

25. Velvetdragon

Feb 15, 2004
    Beginning of May is perfect for me. I'll be in North Dakota from April 22nd to May 1st, so that's out for me, but any time after that is just fine.

Velvetdragon
    Chrissy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.