main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC The shooting of Christopher Lane

Discussion in 'Community' started by Eeth-my-Koth, Aug 21, 2013.

1. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Oh, and his family.

2. Eeth-my-Koth

Eeth-my-Koth Jedi Grand Master star 9

May 25, 2001
    Hi wocky,
    I just wanted to rile up the JC for my own amusement. Stop trying to have rational discussions. This isn't the Senate.

3. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    My heart did a flip as I read that too.

I've seen coverage of it, so it's not zero attention.

4. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    Are the kids' parents going to be punished in any way? Because this is clearly a result of bad (or nonexistent) upbringing.

Eeth-my-Koth likes this.
  5. Frank T.

Frank T. Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    Kids who don't know ****, parents who don't know enough, a community that doesn't give a **** and a culture full up on guns. I'd say there's plenty of blame to go around and it may be better to think about solutions and prevention of this sorta thing rather than focus on punishment. Sending people to prison seems like it's not working if our goal is less murder.

And I have a hard time believing anyone would do it just because they were bored. That answer sounds more like I'm not telling or I thought I could get away with it when I try to translate.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  6. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    But that's what I'm saying - if there were serious repercussions for parents whose kids (minors) committed serious crimes, then maybe more parents would actually pay more attention to how they bring up their children. Because ultimately it's the parents' responsibility, to bring up their kids as decent people, not the responsibility of schools or the communities - they can only help.

7. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Or American society is rotten?

8. Frank T.

Sep 2, 2012
    It takes more than one or two people to raise a decent human being. If it's ultimately just the parents who are held responsible then you might as well lock your kids in the basement 'til it's time for them to get a job.

9. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    yeah, if having your child turn into a sociopathic murderer who will likely spend the majority of his life behind bars is no big deal to you and isn't itself considered the most severe and damning of punishments, then something is so fundamentally broken in our families and communities that i can't really see the threat of some additional punitive measure fixing it.

10. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Yes, I also think that collective punishment is an awesome idea. If we put a bunch of people in abject terror of suffering for crimes they had nothing to do with, then can we stop being passively smug and condescending in our assumptions about other people's lives, and start acting on it.

11. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    The Australian press is reporting that the murderers are gang wannabes.

Here

12. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    OK so I don't know much about Oklahoma but a 50 minute response time? [face_flag] =D= Assuming the paramedic's dog, Skeeter, wouldn't git down from the driver's seat?

I'd like to hear from Kimball_Kinnison, because more guns as Jesus intended?

13. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    liked for "skeeter"

skeeter, git! git!

Ender Sai likes this.
  14. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    I owe that to the late Bill Hicks!

Rogue_Ten likes this.
  15. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Ah yes, I love being reminded that in this country if you commit a serious crime as a minor, you can arbitrarily be tried as an "adult." Because that makes sense.

16. Frank T.

Sep 2, 2012

17. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    I know Eeth is just fishing for responses, but I just want to point out that yesterday a black secretary talked down a white gunman from shooting up an elementary school in Georgia.

18. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
  19. Katana_Geldar

Katana_Geldar Jedi Grand Master star 8

Mar 3, 2003
    Apparently Edwards father,the one treating it as a joke, says his son is innocent.

20. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    Wouldn't be the first time a group of teenagers erroneously admitted to murder.

21. Lazy Storm Trooper

Lazy Storm Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Sep 18, 2012
    I love the second my mom heard this story she blamed it on video games (she had no evidence other than the "We were bored line")...

StarWarsZombie likes this.
  22. Katana_Geldar

Katana_Geldar Jedi Grand Master star 8

Mar 3, 2003
    They haven't admitted erroneously, they have a confession from the driver.

23. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    Sigh. Here is a famous example.

I'm not saying these particular teenagers are innocent. They probably aren't. But it's not out of the realm of possibility for kids to admit to things they didn't do in the face of fear, police coercion, fatigue, their parents not lawyering up (the kid who confessed clearly did not speak to counsel), etc.

24. LostOnHoth

LostOnHoth Chosen One star 5

Feb 15, 2000
    Especially in Oklahoma

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ron_Williamson

25. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Then you've come to the right place.

Sigh indeed.

So, what we've established:

White ( or half-white ) kills black? HATE CRIME.

Blacks kill white? NOTHING TO SEE HERE, MOVE ALONG. And, you know, they might not have even done it. Me and O.J. are gonna find the real killers.