main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC The shooting of Christopher Lane

Discussion in 'Community' started by Eeth-my-Koth, Aug 21, 2013.

1. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Well look at Mr Bleedin' Heart Hippy Liberal Queer here...

You got a problem, boy?

(Appreciate your point however how do you account for the FB post one of the accused made?)

2. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Easy, Anthony Weiner hacked the account, or something.

3. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I've read a few news stories on it and I didn't see mention of an FB post, just that the police arrested them because the car was speeding down the road near the scene (which yes, could be pretty damning circumstantial evidence).

Also, I appreciate Arwen strawmanning me.

4. Katana_Geldar

Katana_Geldar Jedi Grand Master star 8

Mar 3, 2003
    They. Have. A. Confession.

5. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    Katana, look up "erroneous" in the dictionary and then get back to me.

6. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Yeah Katana, you're not actually adding anything of value here.

Even, from what was reported here there was a post from one of the accused on his FB wall which said something along the lines of "bang, two down" or something. I can't recall exactly but it was along those lines.

I'm not sure these kids didn't do it, but I look forward to the hard questions being dodged in favour of easy assumptions about motive.

7. Katana_Geldar

Mar 3, 2003
    Then what do you think happened then DG, if these kids didn't do it?

If a young man can't simply walk down the street without being shot then I seriously wonder what sort of country you are living in.

Edit: Don't take this personally, I'm having a really tough time right now.:(

8. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    You said:
    I responded:
    You countered:
    I clarified (emphasis added):

9. Frank T.

Frank T. Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    America sucks. But we are the melting pot so our suckage comes from the rest of the world.

Darth-Lando likes this.
  10. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    That's idiotic, myopic and insular Frank. I'm assuming you're just trolling and that no human being could possibly be that stupid as to mean that comment.

11. Frank T.

Sep 2, 2012
    I'm not trolling just surprisingly stupid

12. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002

if they had videogames, maybe htey wouldnt have been so bored

13. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    This shouldn't turn into Austria

Lord Vivec likes this.
  14. Dingo

Dingo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2001
    There is a solution that won't fix, but might go towards assisting. And that's for your country to get over its obsession with a narrow and literal interpretation with your Second Amendment to pass some proper legislation about gun control. It doesn't need to go as far as we have here in Australia or in Britain. But when a person can own more firepower than a soldier in combat carries on the person (or hell, more than their entire squad has) without any form of justification or registration required then there is something seriously wrong.

15. Frank T.

Sep 2, 2012
    have you followed our congress? they won't do anything

16. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    When you're scared that the police might erroneously think you killed somebody, sometimes your fear makes you tell the police you killed somebody. That makes sense.

17. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    do you... are you... have you ever heard of... america?

18. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Wow, you really destroyed Even's point. Because in the American legal system, the only possibilities are confessing to all charges or denying them all. The only way this would be even remotely plausible logic is if you could make, I don't know, some sort of bargain with the police. Where you plea guilty to a lesser charge, to escape what seems like sure and severe punishment if you try to fight against the full power of the prosecutor's office.

Oh, wait.

19. Lowbacca_1977

Jun 28, 2006
    If telling the police means that you'll only get life, whereas being found guilty in court means you could get the death penalty, it does.

20. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    Yeah, I can't possibly see how police officers could get a false confession out of a kid. They're only authority figures. They're intimidating, uniformed, often large men. They can and do lie routinely to get what they want out of a suspect ("Your friends, they already confessed!" "We found the gun!"), they use various methods to avoid getting them counsel ("Hey, c'mon, lawyers just mess everything up!"), they threaten them ("You'll get the death penalty if this goes to trial."), they pretend to be their friend. They hold suspects in interrogation for many hours to build up fear, physical discomfort, boredom, etc. And that's not counting the tactics that are actually illegal. Dumb teenagers can't be as smart as you, Arwen.

Adam of Nuchtern and Lord Vivec like this.
  21. Katana_Geldar

Mar 3, 2003
    Even, why are you so quick to doubt the confession? Can't you entertain, even for one moment, that they did it?

22. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    I always like being able to quote someone who quoted themselves.

JoinTheSchwarz and Darth Guy like this.
  23. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    I shot the clerk

[​IMG]

24. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    I'm pretty sure he has done more than "entertain" it, and that he has and continues to do so for the majority of all the time he's spent contemplating this issue. It's the sort of thought process that produces this statement.

He's simply pushing back at the notion that it's somehow impossible to have a false confession.

25. Lowbacca_1977

Jun 28, 2006
    I can't see why anyone would be skeptical of the confession. Other than that confessions are not at all evidence, and there's a long history of police, feeling like they have to get a suspect somewhere, will end up trying to pin it on whoever they think did it. An international incident seems like one of those high-pressure instances.