main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Tim Burton Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: The Amphitheatre' started by DarthHomer, Jul 14, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthHomer

DarthHomer Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2000
    Couldn't see a topic for my favourite director yet, so I thought I'd try and start the ball rolling :)

Anyway, I think Burton is a director who often gets overlooked from an artistic standpoint because he works almost exclusively within the big budget studio film arena. However, even though most of his films have been big hits at the box office, I think they're far more interesting than the average event movie. Batman Returns, for example, is one of the darkest and most idiosyncratic films ever released as a summer blockbuster. It really explores the psychology of the main characters in a way few comic book movies have matched.

But my favourite Burton film has to be Edward Scissorhands. I find this film more moving than say E.T. for example, but maybe that's because I can really relate to being a freaky outsider :) The performances are all perfect, IMO, especially Johnny Depp in the lead. And Danny Elfman's score (his best ever) makes me cry whenever I hear it.

As for the future, Burton's next project is an adaptation of the book Big Fish, which was supposed to be made by Spielberg at one time. I don't know much about the story, except that it involves a father telling his son various "tall tales". Hopefully, it will allow Burton to return to more individualistic filmmaking after his rather impersonal remake of Planet of the Apes.

Anyway if you're a fan of any of Burton's movies, post your thoughts here.

This forum is for discussion, not fanclubs.

2. Radiohead

Radiohead Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 31, 2002
    I'm also a Tim Burton fan. But, you should probably change the title to "The Tim Burton Discussion Thread" since the mods get anal about appreciation threads in the Amphitheater.

3. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Good advice from Radiohead. :)

My two cents: Burton is one of the most artistic geniuses in directing to be found in the late eighties to early nineties.

Like you say, he's gotten away from his roots, making more standard fare like Planet of the Apes, but some of his earlier films stand as true triumphs.

Batman and Batman Returns are classics. Burton's nightmarish set design is in full force, making a truly gothic Gotham City.

Beetlejuice, originally conceived as a horror/drama, is a shockingly good natured comedy with, again, some of the best set design ever.

Edward Scissorhands, tragically classified by most people as a comedy, is a true fairy tale. Brutal, dark, nightmarish, but with a slight spark of optimism..

Ironic that a director of such dark films would maintain this optimism, but it's to be found in most of his films. For all the darkness and brutality, somehow, Burton always infuses a tiny hint of hope.

And, yes, Burton is perhaps the only person in Hollywood who understands that Danny Elfman is one of the greatest composers in history. Right up there with John Williams and Mozart. :D

4. ParanoidAni-droid

ParanoidAni-droid Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 27, 2001

I'll never forget the moments following my first viewing of Edward Scissorhands. I was still a wee-one and it was the first personal experience I'd ever had from watching a film. I had seen Batman, Pee-Wee, and Beetlegeuse and so I already had an affinity for Burton but it was at that moment that I knew he was the one that would enlighten my uncultivated eyes and give me a new found respect for this thing called "cinema."

The Burton/Elfman relationship is among the most fertile and fruit bearing through out cinema history. Ranks right up there with Hitchcock and Bernard Herman, Fellini and Nino Rota.

~PAd

5. DarthHomer

Apr 29, 2000
    It's too late to edit my title. Thinks the mods will mind? :)

6. MatRags

MatRags Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 5, 2001
    I grew up with Pee-Wee's Big Adventure, Batman, and Beetlejuice. I love Burton's dark sense of humor that he incorporates in each of his films. The Nightmare Before Christmas is another great Burton film, but my all-time favorite Burton film is Ed Wood.

7. SidiousDragon

SidiousDragon Jedi Master star 4

Feb 13, 2001
    Sleepy Hollow has some of the best cinematography ever!

And yes, Danny Elfman is genius, anybody who has seen Nightmare before Christmas, where he composes, conducts and sings all the songs, can confirm that. Shame neither Burton nor Elfman have been on top form recently.

8. jayme_

jayme_ Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 12, 2002
    I enjoy his work. I grew up with the Batman series, so I loved Batman but Batman Returns freaked me out. Then again I was 5 or 6. LOL. I'm gonna watch it again soon. Edward Scissorhands freaked me out too, but made me feel sorry for Edward. It's a beautiful movie. I actually liked Mars Attacks! too. I just recently watched Sleepy Hollow again, amazing sets. I love the look of the film. Great story too.

9. Super_Nation_Jock

Super_Nation_Jock Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 4, 2002

I love a lot of Tim's films but EDWARD SCISSORHANDS is my favorite, even though
    I identified a little more with the Anthony Michael Hall character,lol, my heart still went out to Edward. BTW, is Burton's middle name Edward? I actually bought the sound track I liked it so much, and I usually don't buy movie scores. But that one haunted me. There was a sadness and lonesome quality to Edward Scissorhands that you can really feel. I saw it when I was 16 on one of my first dates with a girl and it never left me. She cried. And I got caught up in it. I watched it again recently and I was surprised how it sucked me right back into it's spell.

Planet of the Apes was "ok" but it didn't have the usual Burton "spark" of creativity.
    I had the feeling he thought it was just a job.

Not so for SLEEPY HOLLOW. I think that's Tim's best work in years. It looked great, it sounded great and he had some AWESOME performances. I loved Depp cowering on the bed yelling IT WAS A HEADLESS HORSEMAN! That was hilarious! :)

10. Duckman

Duckman Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 21, 2000
    I liked the one where the Martians disintegrated everybody

11. DarthHomer

Apr 29, 2000
    Ah yes, Mars Attacks! Subversive classic or Burton's folly? I'd say a little of both, but mainly the former. I think a lot of people were expecting it to be a Naked Gun style laugh-a-minute spoof, but it's more of a homage to 50s sci-fi movies than a send-up. The humour comes from mocking the more extreme parts of American culture and the gleeful sadism of the Martians themselves. It's interesting to note that even though the film flopped in America, it was a big hit in Europe. I liked the fact that it showed more worldwide destruction than Independence Day, such as good old Big Ben being destroyed.
    So what do other people think of this controversial film? :)

12. jayme_

jayme_ Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 12, 2002
    Ichabod Crane: It was a headless horseman!
    Baltus Van Tassel: Of course it was. That's why you're here.
    Ichabod Crane: No, you must believe me. It was a horseman, a dead one... headless!
    Baltus Van Tassel: I know, I know.
    Ichabod Crane: You don't know because you were not there! It's all truth...*passes out*

LMAO. That was great.

13. flyingseal

flyingseal Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 20, 2002
    How many times does he faints in the movie ??? I think atleast 3 times :p...

14. DarthHomer

Apr 29, 2000
    Yeah, that was a great scene. I love the way Burton uses non-conventional heroes whenever possible. Ichabod Crane is really a ten year old girl at heart :)

15. ParanoidAni-droid

ParanoidAni-droid Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 27, 2001

For some reason I always start cracking up when Ichabod gallops like a horse to demonstrate how the horseman killed Masbeth. [face_laugh]

~PAd

16. The_Phantom_Menace

The_Phantom_Menace Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 11, 2002
    Can someone tell me what his next movie 'Big Fish' is about.

17. DarthHomer

Apr 29, 2000
    Here's some info about the book from Amazon.

Not your typical Burton story, but I'm sure he'll do something amazing visually with the "tall tales".

D'OH! Link doesn't work, ao I'll guess you'll have to copy and paste.

18. Darth Fierce

Darth Fierce Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 6, 2000
    I love the first Batman, but someone's gonna have to help me with the 2nd one, because I haven't found it to be anything but wretched. :eek: I didn't find any real psychological depth with those characters - they were boring! Scenes went on waaay too long, the story went nowhere (except in circles), and there are no good fight scenes. Total lack of suspense.

But most people enjoy it, so tell me where I'm going wrong. :)

19. JediBeowulf

JediBeowulf Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 6, 2001
    Chalk me up as a "Burton" fan.

I seem to agree with the consensus here that Edward Scissorhands is Burton's best film, and is indeed one of my overall favorites. I don't know...I think that it takes a certain type of person to identify with Burton and his films, especially Edward Scissorhands. There aren't that many films that can touch me the same way as ES does, and it angers me to no end when I see people who just don't *get* the film and automatically start ridiculing it.

BTW...the Burton-Elfman collaboration certainly does rank up there with the best (Speilberg-Williams, etc). Truly a match made in heaven! :)

20. Aurra_Sting

Aurra_Sting Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 19, 2002
    The movie Ed Wood was so fantastic. I have never seen a movie that portrayed real people so accurately and beautifully. It makes you appreciate actual Ed Wood films so much more. Edward Scissorhands was good too, but in the end Ed Wood is my absolute favorite. Watch it back-to-back with Bride of the Monster and Plan 9 From Outer Space. Everything is dead on. I always pictured Tim Burton dressed like a woman directing it.

21. DarthHomer

Apr 29, 2000
    Darth Fierce, I don't think you're necessarily "wrong". Batman Returns definitely isn't for all tastes. But if you want to know why I think it's vastly superior to the original (and perhaps the best comic book movie ever) check out this little review.

End shameless self-promotion :)

22. Darth Fierce

Darth Fierce Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 6, 2000
    DarthHomer
    Hey, nice review. You have some good points; I'll admit I didn't really catch on to how the three villians represented the different sides of Batman himself. And I agree that the Catwoman transformation was a highlight.

But, I've seen it several times and just can't click with it, so it's probably just a matter of me personally looking for it to be something it's not. I do appreciate your attempt to show me the light. :)

23. Darthkarma

Darthkarma Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 30, 2000

Aurrasting, you've done it now.

When you mentioned Tim Burton dressed as a woman, I can see that in my head...and he reminds me of the effeminate sixties singer TINY TIM who had hair like Burton! [face_laugh]

24. jedi_master_sauron

jedi_master_sauron Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 15, 2002
    my favorite tim burton film is pee wee's big adventure. but i think its more for pee wee than tim. i do enjoy is movies. most are kinda quirky and and off beat. i really hated planet of the apes. it was predicable and very formulaic. and dont even get me started on marky mark.

25. Duckman

Duckman Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 21, 2000
    I like the movies with the monkeys disintegrating the white house.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.