main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The Trailer Park: The Three Stooges (2012)

Discussion in 'Community' started by JohnWesleyDowney, Sep 20, 2006.

1. JohnWesleyDowney

JohnWesleyDowney Jedi Master star 5

Jan 27, 2004
    Here's the trailer for DARK SHADOWS, A Tim Burton film starring Johnny Depp. (What a surprise,
    a Burton film starring Johnny Depp!) And Helena Bonham Carter. And Michelle Pfeiffer.

On EW.com
    Dark Shadows Trailer(2012)

On You Tube, unlisted link
    Dark Shadows Trailer(2012)

Win or Fail?

2. Nevermind

Nevermind Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 14, 2001
    I thought the first "Manchurian Candidate" was really poor...it didin't tell enough to get the audience interested and the style was alienating, especially the repetition; yeah, we got it the first time, we can all read!

The second one was a typical modern trailer, which told you the entire damn plot, so seeing the film was a non-starter.

So both these trailers discouraged you from seeing these films, just in different ways.

The first "Dark Shadows" link doesn't work. The second does. Alas.

3. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    Looks pretty awful. I really hope the movie's main flavor is the gloomy gothic, and that they're just playing up the fish-out-of-water shenanigans for the marketing.

4. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 3, 2005
    Delbonnel photography + Eva Green's chest = ticket.

5. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    I don't know, I thought that that actually looked really funny. I actually like the idea of Tim Burton making a black comedy in the vein of The Addams Family.

6. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    It almost looks like a reboot of Beetlejuice or Edward Scissorhands.

7. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Merlin_Ambrosius69 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 4, 2008
    The photography is handsome and the Gothic horror set-up hits the right notes... but it's impossible to decide, without seeing the finished film, whether the would-be-comedic fish-out-of-water turn will work or not.

I suspect not, but I'm willing to give it a chance considering the talent involved.

8. JohnWesleyDowney

Jan 27, 2004
    I was really stunned by the comedic tone. I expected they'd have to give some screen time
    to Barnabas adjusting to the modern world, but nothing this extensive. I expected a gothic horror
    update. I'll reserve judgement until seeing the final film, but they've seemingly gone in a
    really kitshy direction. But as Merlin said, given the talent involved, perhaps the film as a whole
    will work, so I'll wait and see.

This is the first film that Burton and Depp have done where Depp's production company is making the
    film.

9. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
    It shows the entire plot, dammit, and what it shows is not enlivening.

10. MandalorianDuchess

MandalorianDuchess Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 16, 2010
    That's kind of what I thought, also. Since I'm not familiar with the original series, I have no particular expectations. If they can hit the right note and sustain it for a whole movie, then it could be seriously cool. If not...

11. JohnWesleyDowney

Jan 27, 2004

Michelle Pfeiffer certainly is ageing well. I think she's a great actress and I wish
    there were more roles for her. This is such a high profile project, I hope it revives
    her career.

12. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
    Well, I hope so, but on the (admittedly slight) evidence, don't bet on it.

13. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    I kind of liked what I saw because it had a lot of Beetlejuice vibes to it and I really miss that Tim Burton. I mean I'm not expecting a masterpiece or anything but I'll definitely check it out on DVD.

14. JohnWesleyDowney

Jan 27, 2004

Tim Burton's not the only one going retro with a previously popular entertainment property.

The Three Stooges(2012)

Win or Fail?

15. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
    God, I'd forgotten how much I used to love Moe.

It still looks terrible.

16. JohnWesleyDowney

Jan 27, 2004

I can confidently predict 99.9% of the tickets sold for the Three Stooges movie will be bought by men.

It's well-known that women have a genetic predisposition to not liking the Three Stooges.

17. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I just saw The Man with the Iron Fists, which had a lot of good trailers attached to it. Like Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters, which I hadn't heard of before, but looks kinda interesting. Gangster Squad has a pretty good trailer too. And though the movie looks kinda bad, the trailer for A Haunted House is pretty good in and of itself.

Guillermo Del Toro's new movie Mama looks pretty decent and has Jessica Chastain in it, whom I've been very impressed by so far.

18. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    The Mama trailer seriously freaked me out the first time I saw it. I have to admit it looks really good.

19. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    It was only a matter of time before they made a spoof of Paranormal Activity. The Wayans did a good job with the first two Scary Movies, so I'm willing to give it a benefit of the doubt that it'll be better than most spoof movies that have come out since SM.

Mama looks like it could be decent. I don't think it distinguishes itself any from most horror film trailers, though, so it falls a tad on the generic side.

20. Quixotic-Sith

Quixotic-Sith Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 22, 2001
    *Loved* the Man with Iron Fists soundtrack. :) Baddest Man Alive is now in my workout music.

21. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004

It looks like it could be good, it certainly looks like it will be better than Sum of All Fears, although I don't know why they don't just do The Campus.

22. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
    It's probably been removed from the web by now, but the Comic Con trailer for Godzilla was leaked on to the net, and I saw it. Basically it was footage of a city destroyed by Godzilla with Robert Oppenheimer's "I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds" speech playing over it, with it ending on a shot of Big G letting out his trademark roar.

23. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    Not sure if this is thread necrophilia or not, but damn is this a great trailer.