main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[The TV Shows] Has the MS discussed this at all?

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Darth_Ignant, May 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jacemathem

jacemathem Jedi Master star 5

Oct 3, 2003
    Once the TV show(s) hit, they will completely swamp the SSSW forum, till any other subjects will be long gone...

2. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Once the TV show(s) hit, they will completely swamp the SSSW forum, till any other subjects will be long gone...

Which is the exact same format as every other forum. New stuff in; old stuff out...

3. jacemathem

jacemathem Jedi Master star 5

Oct 3, 2003
    Yes, well I remember when the LOTR threads had a powerful presence, the mods in the JCC were taking measures to keep it contained.

In SSSW, you're going to have to travel 20 pages back to see any older subjects.

I think it'd be much more organized and cleaner to give these TV shows they're own forum or two at the appropriate time.

4. Darth_Ignant

Darth_Ignant Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 24, 2001
    Okay...this is getting a little derailed. First of all, a tv show, if on a major network will have viewers in the millions (or face cancellation)...that's a little different than a comic with a readership of 50,000. Second of all, where the discussion will be is secondary to if there will be spoiled and non-spoiled areas. If it's thread by thread, then so be it. But I think that could get cumbersome. But maybe that's wishful thinking on my part that the show will rock and be super popular.

Second of all, please don;t turn this into a canon debate. I for one, while disliking the EU for various reasons will be tuning into teh show, because to me SW is a visual medium, and TV obviously lends itself to that.

5. sidious618

sidious618 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 20, 2003
    We absolutely need a new forum for the TV show. There's going to be a lot more discussion on the show than in Lit etc.

6. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    We don't absoloutely need one. Other TV shows do just fine with only one thread, why can't a SW one?

7. DarthUncle

DarthUncle Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 20, 2005
    EmpireForever, do you mean tv-shows about Star Wars? If not, then that doesn't prove much I think, as they are a side issue. if about star wars, sorry, I don't know many examples, so could you provide some?

It might be that your right, but then again, if it does take off, well, look for, let's say, the new Galactica and see for yourself, we will likely need more then just one thread. I think the show would have the same sort of crowd as that one, maybe a bigger since the Star Wars universe has a lot of followers. (By the way, being in mainland Europe, we do not easily get those shows, so I suppose it wouldn't matter much to me, but on the other hand, star wars would stand a good chance of being aired due to, again, it's big name).

I won't even compare to star trek :eek: because that is just too big a set of series to make it a fair comparison. However, I can't help but think about the way that those fans completely dissect the shows, their relationships to other airings, timelines etc. just like it happens here with the films, and the EU. That will happen in this case too if the show becomes even a bit more than totally lame (and then, see the old Galactica: the newer part of it sucked and that was discussed to death), as before mentioned in this thread.

8. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    I could see a seperate forum if it really took off. And there are other things to discuss besides what happens on the show.

9. AmazingB

AmazingB Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2001
    Other TV shows do just fine with only one thread, why can't a SW one?

Other movies do just fine with only one thread, too.

Amazing.

10. DarthAttorney

DarthAttorney Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 8, 2000
    The JC already has the Star Wars Small Screen forum, that's where a Star Wars tv discussion should live happily ever after. CLone Wars cartoons and tv specials already coexist there in harmony, I don't see why the new series would require a new forum.

11. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    I can't recall ever agreeing with you before, but I guess there's a first time. ;)

And as dp4m has clearly said, if it turns out that SSSW can't handle the TV generated traffic, then they'll reassess and reserve teh right to add new forums as necessary.

Sounds like this is pretty much resolved.

12. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    I agree with you on this issue.

13. Darth_Surgent

Darth_Surgent Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 14, 2004
    No matter what, if you leave it as a single thread in SSSW you're going to be missing out on a lot of new traffic. With the end of ROTS, there's not going to be the same kind of people searching for "Revenge of the Sith" on google and coming across this place anymore. Newbies are going to become less frequent, and oldbies will slowly die off.

This TV series may turn out to be a waste of time and money, but it may be this forum's last chance to continue to thrive (note that I said "thrive" and not "survive"). If people are searching for information on it, are they more likely to join the forum because there's one thread on the subject, or an entire forum swimming with ideas, info., and theories?

This forum thrived due to the prequels, not the EU (heck, even the EU has gained most of its recent clout by attaching itself to the prequels). The TV shows will be embraced by the public at large significantly more than any book/comic/video game, and you'll be shooting yourselves in the foot if you don't take advantage of it.

Whatever the choice is, it's still obvious that this wouldn't be happening anytime soon, so I wouldn't blame anyone for not taking action right now. We'll just have to see what happens once the future of the tv series becomes a little clearer.

So... yeah...

14. DarthSapient

Jun 26, 2001
    I don't suspect you'll see as big a surge as you think.

15. Darth_Surgent

Aug 14, 2004
    Was that a jab at my name? ;)

16. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    > No matter what, if you leave it as a single thread in SSSW you're going to be missing out on a lot of new traffic

You realise it's a dedicated thread per episode, not per series? And other threads will also spring up that discuss themes & topics that aren't single-episode specific? Have a look at the SSSW forum, and the way the Clone Wars series had a thread each episode and then look att all the clone wars discussion not in those main threads.

There's no reason that it won't work in a similar way for the TV series. And if it doesn't work, then the mods will do something about it.

// shrug //

17. DarthSapient

Jun 26, 2001
    This jp-30 guy. He's good people. :)

18. Darth_Surgent

Aug 14, 2004
    I see where you're coming from, Sapes. I just kinda liked the sound of TVSA and TVNS. :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.