main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Vancouver The Vancouver Canucks Thread

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by Admiral_Thrawn60, Dec 6, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheForgottenJedi

TheForgottenJedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 10, 2004
    Yeah, Doan and Nash, while both great players, havn't done much this year and I think Staal and Spezza would've been better.

But who knows what will happen once they hit the ice with the maple leaf on their jerseys in Italy.

2. omar_r786

omar_r786 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 9, 2004
    I just keep reminding myself of that line in the World Championships in Austra (or was it the World Cup?) of Gagne, Thornton, and Nash to justify Nash's spot. That was by far the best line. And they are supposed to be calling the games in Turin like they call the games in the NHL, so with those three absolutely massive, powerful guys, it will be so hard to stop them.

3. poof-the-magic-jedi

poof-the-magic-jedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 3, 2005
    I was shocked to see Bertuzzi's name on that list. He's floated through this year and 03-04; he's a high risk player with limited leadership skills who hasn't performed consistently at a high level in over two years. But looking at the number of right-handed forwards they have (only three including Bertuzzi) I guess I can see their rationale. I still would have taken Spezza instead, having the Heatley/Spezza combo working for Canada would really be something to see. Hopefully the leadership of team Canada will do what the Canucks apparently can't do, and that is tell Bertuzzi he has to work hard every shift or his butt will be stapled to the bench.

EDIT: Good to see Jovanovski named to the team, although it was no surprise. He's been a consistent performer who's played for Canada a number of times in the past.

4. omar_r786

Oct 9, 2004
    Bertuzzi isn't a right handed shot.

5. omar_r786

Oct 9, 2004
    [image=http://members.shaw.ca/omar_r786/1.jpg]

lol

6. poof-the-magic-jedi

Jun 3, 2005
    You're right. I'm not sure why the roster list had him as a righty, but he does shoot left. In that case, there is no need for him to be on the team at all.

7. TheForgottenJedi

Apr 10, 2004
    I wouldn't go that far poof. Bert has great upside when 'on' and he has been pretty consistent this last while.

But yes, there is abit of a risk to putting Bert onto the team for a tournment like this, because he is a definite physical presence and Iam not sure how much of that play he will be able to bring to Turino.

Wonder who he will be playing with.[face_thinking]

8. poof-the-magic-jedi

Jun 3, 2005
    Well, I don't want to come off as a complete Bertuzzi-basher, although it probably appears that way. I like Bertuzzi's game, I think he has the potential to be one of the most dominant players in any game he plays. He just hasn't exercised that potential on a consitent basis in a very long time. In my view, it was Bertuzzi's job to play his way onto team Canada in the first 30 games of this NHL season -- he hasn't done that, while others have. You could look at Staal or Spezza, or if you don't want to go that young look at Shanahan or Marleau. Those last two are verteran players, leaders on their respective teams, are putting up better numbers than Bertuzzi, and are both rock solid physical players. Shanahan is a veteran of two previous Olympics and would help fill the loss of experience when Yzerman and Lemieux pulled out.

If Canada wins gold, and Bertuzzi is a positive force on the team, I think that'll be great. Great for team Canada, great for Bertuzzi, and probably great for the Canucks. I just don't see that happening. Once the tournament starts, I'll be cheering for Bertuzzi as loud as any fan, but until then I reserve the right to bitch. ;)

So who do you guys think will be Canada's biggest challenger? Team Sweden looks very strong, as usual, and they've finally got a quality goaltender to go with their powerful lineup. The Czechs look strong too, especially in goal with Vokoun and Hasek.

9. omar_r786

Oct 9, 2004
    The teams that I think will give Canada trouble are the Swedes, who will have 4 great lines (just imagine Naslund and Forsberg together - thats scary), the Russians (once again--Datsyuk, Ovechkin, and Afinogenov on the same line?!) and the Czechs.

About Bertuzzi; I'm glad he is on the team and I honestly think he will be a positive addition. You guys have to remember - this was mainly Wayne Gretzky's doing, he is a huge fan of Bertuzzi and said that he would "be a big part of this team" at the orientation camp in Kelowna. There is a risk of him being a distraction, but look back at 2002: Theo Fleury was there and played very well. They took the risk and it paid off. I still think Spezza and Staal should be on the team though. I say take off Doan and Draper, but I'm not Wayne Gretzky so it doesn't really matter. And the whole "taxi squad" thing is totally stupid, imo. They're not even allowed to practice with the team or be in the Olympic Village, which is totally ridiculous. Whats the point of them even being there?

Also, I think I'm more excited for the 2010 games than the upcoming ones. Spezza, Staal, and Crosby will be there for sure. And some of the guys from the current World Junior team will probably be there too - so it will be very exciting to watch.

And finally, speaking of the World Juniors, the tournament starts tomorrow! Make sure you guys are watching. The 'Nucks are back in action as well, all I can say is they better win.

EDIT #2,000,000: sorry for all the edits. :p

10. poof-the-magic-jedi

Jun 3, 2005
    That's a good point about Fleury, Omar. He was pretty much flaking out on and off the ice prior to the tournament, but seemed to pull it together for the Olympics. Unfortunately for him, he's continued his downward spiral post-Olympics to the point where his career is over.

The Swedes do look strong, and with Lundqvist likely their number one goalie, they look pretty solid at all positions. Certainly their forwards are strong with Forsberg, Naslund, Alfredsson, and Sundin; and with a defense that includes Lidstrom and Ohlund they've earned the right to be a favourite. The knock on Sweden is that they can't win the big games. In the last Olympics they looked dominant in the early going, if I remember correctly they trounced Canada in the first game of the tournament. But when it came down to the elimination round, they lost to Belarus.

The Russians are always scary, but are they too young? With Mogilny and Fedorov opting out they're going to have to rely on guys like Kovalchuk and Ovechkin to take larger roles. I'm not a huge fan of Afinogenov, but he has picked it up in recent weeks -- of course that had to happen right after I dropped him in my pool in favour of Fedorov.

The Czechs, in my mind, are Canada's biggest rival in this tournament. They've got great forwards like Jagr, Straka, and Rucinsky who play together on the Rangers; as well as others like Lang, Hemsky, and Hejduk who aren't too shabby either. But their biggest strength in is goal, with Hasek and Vokoun they have the best goaltending going into the tournament. Either one of those guys are capable of winning games on their own.

In other news, Canada starts off with a win in the World Juniors. I didn't see the game, but it seems like Finland didn't really put up much of a fight in this game.

11. omar_r786

Oct 9, 2004
    I think Fleury is still playing for a team in England.

And getting back to the Canucks: what the hell is wrong with them?

12. omar_r786

Oct 9, 2004
    FINALLY! We really needed that win. Long road trip coming up, so we have to get back to playing solid hockey.

13. poof-the-magic-jedi

Jun 3, 2005
    I didn't see the game, but I read that Crawford took Morrison off the big line in favour of Ruutu, and moved Bert to center. That's an interesting combo, and Ruutu will add some energy to that line if nothing else. Mo can't be too happy about being dropped to the third line though, not that he's been doing much to justify staying on the top line. Who was Morrison playing with, was it Park and Kesler?

14. omar_r786

Oct 9, 2004
    Wow... no comment on that performance tonight.

15. malcolm-darth-am-i

malcolm-darth-am-i Jedi Padawan star 4

May 21, 2005
    Horrable. Need I say more.

I think we need a trade or a choaching change.

My thought on a trade.

Jovo for Marc Denis and a 2nd rounder in the '06/07 entry draft.

Or

Fire Crow!

16. omar_r786

Oct 9, 2004
    I don't think its Crawford's fault. The entire team just isn't clicking, and we need more offence from our defense. It doesn't help that we lost Jovonovski, and tonight Salo. We definitely need a change in goal though. Something needs to be done sooner than later, Nonis can't put this off forever. It is very hard to find a goalie as there are so many teams looking for a No. 1 guy right now, but still. Nonis needs to do what he can now.

17. omar_r786

Oct 9, 2004
    Yet another collapse in the third period. This is getting ridiculous, they only have one win in their last nine games.

18. poof-the-magic-jedi

Jun 3, 2005
    Well, the Canucks' strategy of trying to lull the opposition to sleep by playing the dullest game possible almost worked. Unfortunately the Vancouver defense decided to add a little extra excitement in the third period by firing the puck right to the Dallas players to make it easier for them to score -- good going guys!

On the bright side, appetizers were half price and the wings were good.

19. malcolm-darth-am-i

malcolm-darth-am-i Jedi Padawan star 4

May 21, 2005
    The Canucks are done. We have no modavation, WE SUCK.

20. TheForgottenJedi

Apr 10, 2004
    The panic button was being pressed with a passion by alot of fans and not without no reason.......only problem was it was being pressed earliler than needed IMO. Course thats to be expected.

The St.Louis game was the one that really got to me.....but luckily they became to improve right after, even dispite the collaspe against Dallas in the following game.

Lets go burn some Leafs!!

21. poof-the-magic-jedi

Jun 3, 2005
    I guess they're not done after all, having won seven of their last eight. And with their win against the Habs last night, finish 9-1 against the East. If only they could have that kind of success against their own division where they only have six wins in twenty games!

And the rumours of a deal for a goaltender continue. Will it be Roloson, Joseph, Denis, Biron, Raycroft, or ??? But with the way Auld has played recently they may be looking for a backup as opposed to a number one.

22. poof-the-magic-jedi

Jun 3, 2005
    Of course as soon as I say they're doing well, they go ahead and lose to two of the crappiest teams in the league.

23. TheForgottenJedi

Apr 10, 2004
    Yeah, again with the Blues......... *head smash desk*

The Columbus game wasn't as bad cause the Canucks actually showed up but...........all those times falling behind in the game... *head smash monitor*

Come on Canucks........my head is getting sore! :p

24. poof-the-magic-jedi

Jun 3, 2005
    I think the Canucks should seriously consider moving to the Eastern conference. Either that or issue protective helmets to all of their fans. ;)

25. TheForgottenJedi

Apr 10, 2004
    Both solid ideas poof. :p

What a tough lose to the Wings, I mean the team played a fired up style, making all the right passes and hits.....the 1st especially. But then we hit that penalty wall with reckless abandon (though I severely question what the ref was thinking on Josh Green's penatly) and the Wings made them count.

I imagine Nonis is starting to put a deal or two together as we speak......not so much because of the teams troubles but that the trade deadline looms ever closer and there are a couple goalies definitly going to be moved.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.