main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The White Stripes, The Hives, The Strokes, The Vines: All the same or distinct?

Discussion in 'Archive: The Amphitheatre' started by ClassicTrilogyFan, Sep 24, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ClassicTrilogyFan

ClassicTrilogyFan Jedi Youngling

May 20, 2001
    Besides three out of the four bands having one syllable names and all of them beginning with "The" do you think that they sound a lot alike? It is interesting to see how trendy the vintage punk/garage band/classic rock sound has become because of bands like these. Now I must admit that I do not own any CD's from any of these bands so my observation of their music has come only from what I have heard on the radio. For those of you who do own the CD's of these groups do you think that any of them have their own distinct sound and style or are they just on the "bandwagon" so to speak? Are any of them here to stay or are they just a flash in the pan?

2. ZeroCool69

ZeroCool69 Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 22, 2002
    Well, like you, I don't happen to own any of these artists cd's. however, I must say that The White Stripes are the band that seems to have the most promise. I did happen to see the Hives/Vines back to back performance at the 2002 MTV thing, and it seemed like the lead singer of the Hives was attempting to emulate Mick Jagger too much. And the Vines were just a little too Nirvana for me. If your gonna sound like bands that influence you, take the "basics" of their sound, but put your own spin on it, make it your own. Don't just try to make the same sound, or your nothing but a creative cover band.

3. MoldyBread

MoldyBread Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 10, 2000
    The Hives have been around since at least 1997, and their first record still has the same feel as "Veni Vidi Vicious" which came out in 2000.

White stripes have been around at least since 1999.

The Strokes record came out in 2001, and the Vines came out in 2002.

I would say that they are all different, but the Hives have been around the longest - playing the same style. Some of the others are just being discovered because that is what is popular.

The White Stripes, in my opinion, is the coolest and most orginal of them all. They have two members and make music that is just as good as the rest.

4. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    But the Vines are from Australia, and Australia is cool!

E_S

5. Lord Bane

Lord Bane Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 26, 1999
    The Strokes, like CD Now said, are the Beatles of this new wave of retro-New York late 60s punk/art rock [if you want to call it that]. I think they have the most promise, mainly because they seem to be channeling both the Beatles and Velvet Underground in their music, in musical and vocal style. Of course, their lyrics also have potential with their first album giving us a solid set of words.

The White Stripes are definately the next in terms of talent, but the other big name, the parry to the Strokes' thrust will be the Hives, the new Rolling Stones. Their stage performance is great, full of energy and fun. Though their music sounds a lot alike, so do the songs of the Rolling Stones.

The Vines...I don't know about them. Let me get back to you.

6. Sturm Antilles

Sturm Antilles Former Manager star 6

Jun 22, 2000
    Well, IMO, they're certainly all kinda boring.

I don't want garage rock to come back. I want intricate and polished pop/art rock to come back! :_|

7. MoldyBread

MoldyBread Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 10, 2000
    The Vines may be from Australia, but the Hives are from Sweeden...

...As if that makes any difference.

8. ParanoidAni-droid

ParanoidAni-droid Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 27, 2001

Um, ClassicTrilogyFan, you seem to be forgeting the fifth facet to this genre... Interpol. If you don't know their name now, you will soon enough. And for people who haven't heard any of these bands there's an easy way to break them down. First, they all have one thing in common which is that stripped down, raw garage sound and as to how they differ:

The Strokes: This sound is chiefly produced by two parts Velvet Underground during their Loaded period and one part The Ramones, with a dash of early Smiths guitar playing.

The White Stripes: This is how blues musican, Robert Johnson, would sound if he grew up in the modern era listening to The Pixies and he had an elfish looking sister to back him up on drums.

The Hives: Take all of those early punk bands that were so embryonic it's actually a streach to call them punk like, New York Dolls, The Stooges, MC5, roll them all together and give them some borrowed Kraftwerk outfits and you have The Hives.

The Vines: Suppose Nirvana had influenced The Pixies instead of the other way around. Yeah, it's kinda like that...

Interpol: J-O-Y-D-I-V-I-S-I-O-N, baby!

~PAd

9. Darth_Flair

Darth_Flair Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 11, 2002
    PAd I think you've pretty much summed it up. Although I don't think I've heard of Interpol. The Strokes, The Hives, and the White Stripes are all really good, IMHO. The Vines are OK, they're at their best when they sound like Nirvana ala "Get Free", when they don't they're just kinda average.

10. Darthfunkasourous

Darthfunkasourous Jedi Master star 3

Mar 6, 2002
    Well meg isnt his sister my friend.I worked with meg at Memphis smoke here in royal oak mi for about 2 years.Thats his ex-wife.Well nayway they all sound a little bit to much like pavement for me

11. Qui-Gon Zero

Qui-Gon Zero Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 26, 1999
    IMO, the mentioned bands produced some of the better mainstream rock I've heard since soundgarden broke up. With a few exceptions, of course. I feel that their short, but catchy songs, can tide me over for a little while. Hopefully, this will lead into a bigger variety of popular rock music, which may give me reason to listen to K-ROQ consistently again.

These new bands remind me of when Green Day and Nirvana were first getting big. Now, I'm waiting for the next Queen, Led Zepplin, or Jefferson Airplane. That's the kind of rock that I'd really like to see a rebirth for. However, it doesn't mean that these new bands aren't fun. IMO, it's much better than listening to Linkin Park, P.O.D, or New Found Glory.

12. Lord Bane

Lord Bane Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 26, 1999
    I think we'll be hard pressed to see the next Queen or Led Zeppelin. They were singular bands, distinct and in their own way, genre-shattering. Few bands can claim that today. Beck does what he can, but he isn't being discussed here. These new wave garage/neo-punk/New York bands are simply reviving old trends, though sometimes with a great spin. They are not defining genres of music, as people like Led Zeppelin, the Beatles, Queen, Velvet Underground or Beck have.

13. B'omarr

B'omarr Jedi Master star 6

Apr 7, 2000
    Am I the only one who thinks these bands sound just like older Rolling Stones tunes? Or the Who?

These bands are just the 'new hip thing'. There have been countless others that have been making this kind of music for much longer and doing a much better job of it, IMO. If a band tries to sound 'retro' inevitably, the source material they're retroizing will sound better, rose tinted glasses and all.

14. Darth Dradus

Darth Dradus Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 9, 2000
    I have to agree with the above poster.

Do any of you remember when MTV touted Swing music in the mid-ninties as the next big thing ?

Do any of you remeber when MTV said ska was going to bust out into the mainstream and take over the market ?

This is the next big Hype, these pesudo-garage rock bands.

Does it occuer(sp?) to anyone else that they are bacily ripping off Iggy Pop and the Stoogies ? I mean it's one thing to be influenced by Iggy Popp, but I mean some of these bands are down right ripp off's!

The only thing that is positive is that one guy from the Hives (From Sweden mind you) is friends with/used to play with Entombed which is pretty cool seeing as they rock.

But if any of you like this pseudo-garage rock music you might want to check out the Vines friends band (Also Swedish) called the Hellicopters, they play similar type pf music and they have a guitarist called Boba Fett! I mean Boba Fett people, no matter how much I dislike this type of music that's pretty cool in my book.

15. FiveHorizons

FiveHorizons Jedi Master star 3

Mar 19, 2002
    The only band with any actual talent, imo, is The Hives... the rest are purely gimmick bands.

16. Obi-Kedobi

Obi-Kedobi Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 28, 2002
    the best one of these new bands is not even listed: Black Rebel Motorcycle Club. They are not as garage rock as the others, but are still excellent and worth checking out.

some good tunes are Love Burns, whatever happened to my rock 'n' roll?, white palms, spread your love and head up high.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.