main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Widow Skywalker-- (post ROTJ AU staring Luke & Padme) Author's Note, 5/24/05!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by Meredith_B_Mallory, Jul 11, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SarkaVrae

SarkaVrae Jedi Master star 5

Jun 3, 2004
    Pride, just too much pride. I was gloating that I would not only see the slow and painfully sweet beginning, but that I would--without the wait--would see the beautiful end of this captivating story. As I scrolled through the many desperate postings, I took pleasure in the thought that the end of this story was only a few mouse clicks away.....
    Boy was I wrong!
    Meredith, dear, please finish this story! I can't get it out of my head, and I'm so intrigued to know how you would end this epic tale!
    please, please, please......I have read your side story, and that has only wetted my appetite more! We need to know where this is going!!!!

2. Mieko_Amidala

Mieko_Amidala Jedi Youngling

Sep 15, 2002
    I disappear for over a year and Meredith still hasn't updated her fics. :_|

At least her writing's worth it. :)

3. SilSolo

SilSolo Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 5, 2004
    Whoa you posted this here? Well Master Solo is back watching your awesome story.

4. SarkaVrae

Jun 3, 2004
    up!

Meredith dear, haven't you left us hanging long enough? I think you win the suspense award! :)

5. SarkaVrae

Jun 3, 2004
    *peeps in to see if Meredith has escaped from DRL, kicks the thread back up, and sneaks out*

6. NickStarwalker

NickStarwalker Jedi Master star 1

Dec 7, 2002
    Up. Please update Meredith.

7. Mystralgurl

Mystralgurl Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 9, 2004
    Hey Meredith,

I just started on the message boards and I was wondering if your story is finished? I would like to read the rest if it's not, so please hurry up!

8. Meredith_B_Mallory

Meredith_B_Mallory Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 6, 2001
    Don't faint or anything. This is an ACTUAL POST. As in, more of the story. *confused look* I know! I can't believe it either, but there it is.

I have to thank each and every one of you for your patience with me. I'm terribly slow, and my muse is known to be fickle, but you guys have hung in there. You're all absolutely awesome!

Thanks, as always, go to my beta, the adorable Leia_N, and to my Leigh-darling, who keeps me in line and only lets me raid the liquor cabinet for medicinal purposes. ;)

That said, I'll shut up and let you read the post.

=============================
    The Widow Skywalker 4a/?
    by Meredith Bronwen Mallory
    mallorys-girl@cinci.rr.com
    http://www.demando.net/
    =============================

Padme sat on her knees, staring into the small hearth fire; into the center of the flames, where blue became white and white became all colors, as well as the absence of. Luke's gaze was on her, not heavy, but a gentle, furtive thing, calling awareness like a breeze. 'My son!' she thought, turning the words over in her mind, feeling them clamor against her vocal chords. Just minutes ago he had stood in her doorway, the past made flesh; he had embraced her and asked for her name. Tears were still streaming down her face, slow and heated-- she did not bother to wipe them away, or pay them any heed at all. Such a shyness in his eyes, as he'd helped her gather the fallen harvest and, as he'd turned to find the scattered fruits, the sun had throw shadows that seemed to make time immaterial. There was a laughter in her-- sobs, as well, and she was afraid to release either. On Naboo, mothers gave their infants nursing names like 'little bird' or 'grass cat', lest the jealous, self-devouring goddess be tempted to snatch the child back.

Biting her lip, Padme met those blue eyes. Their color was so like Anakin's and yet, there was an air of age in Luke's depths that his father had seemed to shun. She wondered at those slim, young shoulders, at the careful poise in his demeanor. In another moment, he smiled, and there was a pain in her heart. Anakin's face had always been transformed by his endearing grin, but he had remarked the same thing of her. With his hand gently tracing the line of her jaw, he'd brushed her hair back against her veil and said that he far preferred her smile to the solemn bride; someone girlish, someone just as nervous as he. She reached out, gently touching Luke's hand, before she turned back to her cooking. The act was as much for her comfort as it was for his; there were so many shadows-- she could see in his eyes that he knew it too!-- that it was sometimes hard to believe that they had not simply, at last, taken on flesh and form. As she reached for the bowl of oshiibara, he handed it too her helpfully, with just a little color in his cheeks. Artoo rocked a little nearby, beeping softly, fire turning the silver reflection of his dome to copper.
    "You are good luck," she said to the little droid.
    "He saved my life," Luke offered, adding sheepishly, "more than once." He looked down at his gloved hand briefly, rubbing the fingers together, features obscured by the mist of his thoughts. Padme studied him openly, before moving a little closer to him, placing a hand on his shoulder.
    "I'm sorry," she said, feeling as if those words were cracking, breaking under the weight of all they were trying to hold. "Oh, Luke." His eyes were unguarded when he raised them to hers. He was so much more than simply Anakin's son, so much more than a young man.
    "I was afraid to even think about having a mother, when I was a little boy," he said quietly. Gently, she touched the burnt-sand locks at the base of his neck, to ease the passage of the words. "I just... from the way Uncle Owen reacted when I asked about my father, I guess I was just afraid. If I said nothing... if I asked nothing, you could be everywhere. You could be out there, looking for me."
    "I had to make myself not think of you." The blur of her tears made the world a melting landscape, but she felt that she could

9. Ashamaphone

Ashamaphone Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 27, 2001
    You know, everytime I read one of your posts, it's like I'm reading some epic poem. Everytime.

Fantastic chapter, it's wonderful that they're back together, finally but at the same time it's so sad because they've missed so much already. Interesting little line you put in there at the end...just what are you up to? :p

Also, it looks as though you're following along the lines of "From Where Ever I Am To You"... Are you perhaps intimating where you were planning on going with that one or just writing an AU from an AU?

10. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    Oh at long last you have picked up the reins of this wonderful story again. I sincerly hope it finds a new audiance to compliment those of us who always hoped you would come back to us!

11. SarkaVrae

Jun 3, 2004
    Yay! Yay! Yay! I'm so happy you posted!

Lovely imagery, very heart-stirring!
    I'm so glad you are back!

12. RebelMom

RebelMom Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 20, 2000
    It's such a treat to read your posts.

13. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    What wonderful post! I hope you will post again SOON! I love this story. I've always wanted Luke to know his mother and you give him the chance!

14. Jedi-2B

Jedi-2B Jedi Master star 4

Nov 2, 2000
    What a coincidence -- just yesterday morning, I found myself wondering about this story, and went back and reread the last couple posts. And then today, on the Saga Board, what to my wondering eyes do I see... You never heard such a Whoop!

Lovely, lovely post, Meredith. I liked all the little details you put in, such as her having to look around for a second bowl (she must not let dirty dishes stack up like me), and how they refrain from talking about certain heavy subjects until Leia could be with them. I think Anakin's spirit is looking over them both.

Looking forward to more!

15. ___Sithspawn___

___Sithspawn___ Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 17, 2004
    Well, it is about time:p

That was a very beautiful and moving post. Glad you finally decided to continue with this and I hope you update this soon.

16. JalendaviLady

JalendaviLady Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 20, 2002
    Is it worth the waiting for?
    If we live 'til eighty four
    Dreaming of what the boards will tell!
    Ev'ry day we say our prayer --
    Will another post be there?

Post, Glorious Post...

(There's a reason I'm not a music major... :p)

17. Meredith_B_Mallory

Oct 6, 2001
    Ashamaphone- Interesting little line you put in there at the end...just what are you up to? Something that's not cliche, I hope? ^^;;; I'm so glad you enjoyed the new post-- your comments were incredibly kind. :D
    Are you perhaps intimating where you were planning on going with that one or just writing an AU from an AU?
    A lot of what happened to Padme in this story stems from 'From Where Ever...'. For a long time, I thought I was going to write 'Where Ever' so that it could act as a backstory for this piece, but now I think the ending will be a little different. ^^

Darth_Breezy- [face_blush] You've far more patience than I...

SarkaVrae- You have a really pretty SN, did you know that? So glad you liked the new post!

RebelMom- Hey, long time no see! ^_^ Thanks.

VaderLVR64- I'm so glad you're enjoying the story. I am working on a new post... hopefully the Writer's Block will get itself lost for a little while.

Jedi-2B- Thank you so much for your detailed comments! I think Padme and Luke would have a hard time figuring out where to start, don't you?

Sithspawn- Well, it is about time Yeah, I know. *sheepish* Thanks for being patient with me.

JalendaviLady- What a cute ditty! (hey, there's a reason why I'm not a music major, either ^_~)

More soon, I hope. *off to take a shower and settle in to write* In the mean time, if you have a minute, I posted a short story Falling Is Like This. It's Padme/Vader, set between the trilogies. Hope I'm not imposing. ^_^

-Meredith

18. Kidd

Kidd Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 12, 2002
    Oh are you a professional english writer? If not you should be! I love your choice of words and diction and the fact that this story is very descriptive! Oh how I envy and wish I could write like you!

You portray the emotions of Luke, Padme and even Leia's (through Luke's eyes) and thoughts very well.

Very poetic, very rich, and a very superb story, no words can further express how much I love it!

19. Gabri_Jade

Gabri_Jade Fanfic Archive Editor Emeritus star 5 VIP

Nov 9, 2002
    *sighs happily* Such wonderful, beautiful writing, Meredith. I'm so, so happy to see this story still alive. :D

Biting her lip, Padme met those blue eyes. Their color was so like Anakin's and yet, there was an air of age in Luke's depths that his father had seemed to shun. She wondered at those slim, young shoulders, at the careful poise in his demeanor.

Love this. It's fascinating to see Luke that way, as Padmé would, not taking anything for granted.

"You're really here," he said finally.
    She swallowed hard, "Yes." Taking him into her arms, she pressed her nose into his fine hair. He tightened his arms around her, and she felt rather than heard his sob, careful sobs. "My son," she murmured, rocking him gently, "oh, Force, what have I done, to be granted such a boon?"

My favorite part, by far. I can see it completely, and its real and believable and perfect. Magic. :D

20. Falcon

Falcon Chosen One star 10

Feb 7, 2002
    yay your back *hugs* wonderful chapter you've added I can't wait for more

21. CodeName_Targeter

CodeName_Targeter Jedi Master star 5

Nov 7, 2003
    Wow!! I just found this by wandering into the Saga and then desided that I didn't want to sit there and wait for you to post more so I ran in here, and let me say once more, wow!! This is very beautiful story you have here so far and I cannot wait to read more!!!

:Targeter:

22. A-Windsor

A-Windsor Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 22, 2003
    oh thank God! Heh, sorry, your writing just makes me feel good no matter how sad, because it is written so honestly and beautifully. I absolutely adore the way Luke recognizes the merits of Leia's protectiveness and your words about a child's loyalty to a parent always remaining rang amazingly true. Excellent, AS ALWAYS. Thank you.

A. Windsor

23. Meredith_B_Mallory

Oct 6, 2001
    Kidd- Oh are you a professional english writer? If not you should be! *blush* What a compliment. No, I'm not really much of a professional anything, unless you count being a professional student. ^_~ That was really sweet of you to say, though. I'm so glad you're enjoying the story. Thank you.

Gabri_Jade- I'm always happy to hear someone say they thought things were in character. ^_^ You really are a doll.

JediFalcon- *eyes her three-pages-of-the-next-post* Soon, I hope!

Targeter- Wow, you read the whole thing? *blush* I'm glad it was worth your time!

A-Windsor- Thank _you_, dear. You have no idea how happy your comments make me. ^_^

New post soon, I hope...
    -Meredith

24. SarkaVrae

Jun 3, 2004
    [face_blush]
    pretty SN? well, thanks Meredith! That's sweet! :) The full name is Sarka Vrae La'nore` (lah-nor-ay) lol

Any hope of another out-of-the-blue post to this wonderful tale? It won't be quite so dramatic as the last, but definately loved & appreciated. Much gushing over your writing is promised, of course! :D

25. Meredith_B_Mallory

Oct 6, 2001
    Wow.... It's only taken me a little over a week to produce this post. :D I must be sick, or something. ;) As always, I thank you guys for your feedback and your time. I know a lot of people have tons of work or traveling to do right before Thanksgiving. Please look after yourselves and take care. And [jar-jar voice] ifen things be getting to crunch time, just be grabb'n a Jedi [/jar-jar voice]. ;)

Thanks, as always, go to Miss Leia_N, for her incomparable services as a beta and Chief Poker Of the Muse. If I could trouble you guys to post a comment after you read, I'd be ever in your debt. ^_^

And so, 'live' and in color, from the University computer lab....

The Widow Skywalker 4b/?
    by Meredith Bronwen Mallory
    mallorys-girl@cinci.rr.com
    http://www.demando.net/
    [hr]

Padmé was slow to wake but swift to rise, once she'd pierced the final veil. Consciousness was like breathing; you never realized how effortless it was until you broke the surface of the water, greedy for air. Through the window, she could see the riotous colors of the Koe sunrise, shades and hues which did not readily ascribe to names. For a moment she stretched, an inventory of her body, before she swung her legs over the side of the basin and stood, barefoot, in the center of her home. From the corner, Artoo beeped softly and, despite herself, Padmé started. She smiled vaguely towards his squat form, crossing the room so that she could stand over the sleeping form of her son. There was something covert about it-- she had no idea what she would say, should he wake and find her looming like some creature in from the bramble and the woods. She couldn't help herself, though; she studied his face, lax and unguarded, with only a half-formed thought of what she was looking for.
    In her own dreams, she was always roaming endless, echoing corridors, uncertain if she was chasing the shadows, or running from them. As open as her son's face was, she could divine nothing from it-- he was still in sleep, quiet, controlled. Kneeling beside his bedroll, she gently brushed a lock of tarnished blond hair from his face. The ghosts of her baby boy revealed themselves in his adult features, faint but true. There was regret in her, yet it felt somehow selfish, as if souring on the back of her tongue. 'Things,' Nubian farmers were fond of saying, 'could always be worse'. She smiled lightly, thinking of those green hills, flooding every five years despite their height. Silent, half-sullen determination was etched in the bones of every baby born on those slopes; plodding, continuing, rising each morning with the vague thought, 'if not today, or tomorrow, then someday...'

Biting her lip, Padmé rose, letting her eyes linger on Luke for a moment, before she quietly took a fold of clean clothing and small, rickety comb from the truck. She motioned to Artoo for silence as she slipped out the threshold and into the dooryard, where her crops grew with some inherent wildness, despite their well-ordered rows. In the shade of the lone, white-wood tree that shaded the side of her dwelling, she drew her hair forward, running the comb through it with exacting patience. The motion was repetitive, soothing. The locks that slipped through her fingers faded from dark brown to light, shot through with tinges of gray and white, like the creeping fingers of age. As last, she tossed her head a bit, pulling binding her hair up with a piece of twine. She pulled a rag down from one of the branches, bending to scoop the leaves from the surface of the water-barrel. Stripping her dirty dress from her form, she began to clean her body, vaguely cataloguing scars and signs of time. It had been many years since she'd seen her own reflection, and somehow this small vanity-- the notations of her physical body-- seemed somehow amusing. Along her spine and back were the familiar, raised lines and welts of the lash; her hands worn with labor, her left side marked with the fading remnants of a glancing blaster wound. On her lower arm, the newer, rambling burns

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.