main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Will of The Force. Is it a Spirit of its own?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by TheDarkSkull, Feb 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheDarkSkull

TheDarkSkull Jedi Youngling star 3

May 12, 2002
    I was always curious since the will of the force has been mentioned a few times in the saga. Some perspectives of it is that is the combination of the wills of all living things, or that it is just a simple will of good vs evil, or that it is an outline of life and destiny. My view on this comes from a quote by Count Dooku, I quote "Good news... the force is with us."

Now IMO this quote is cursial since it is from the recent episode and therefore is the closest to Lucas' viewings for the moment. "With us" curious as to waht he means, it sounds like the force chooses sides. Now that's an interesting idea, the force now a type of God figure controls all and favors sides whether it be good or evil. Like how the jedi powers are no weaking and how the dark side is growing greater in power. So there is something going on with the two sides that some type of God figure or figures is having control over.

Or it could be that it's not a God figure but a man figure. In AOTC during or around the time Dooku says this, Anakin has already begun tapping into or turning into the darkside ( Tuskin slaughter scene and possibly during the duel with Dooku ). Anakin is supposedly the choosen one and therefore has the greatest amount of force/ force influence than any jedi. Could it be possible that with Anakin's power and influence he is also choosing the will of the force. And hence why in the OT after he learns of his son and begins having second thoughts the Empire and Palpy fall. And that when he is Vader the jedi are almost totally destroyied with all but one, Vader killed Obi and still did not know of Luke so that does count.

So it's curious as to whether there is an influence or "one all powerful force controlling everything". Of cource I ma be taking these films to another level that Lucas did not intend and this is all just in my head.

Any thoughts or comments?

2. Shara_82

Shara_82 Administrator Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 10, 2001
    I think Dooku's use of 'the force is with us' was a display of sheer arrogance - because his actions had won the day, so to speak, he immediately attributed that win to the Force, and not to his own manipulation. He was essentially, IMO, trying to say that they had the blessing of the Force in their actions, when in reality all they had was their own selves to thank (or blame) for it.

To me, the Force is simply an entity. If it has a will, it is one that no one, Jedi/Sith/other would be able to fathom. By saying that the force IS with them, Dooku is trying to say 'I'm right, I have the force behind me', when in reality all he really had was an arrogance to believe he had the favour of something that big, and that powwerful.

3. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    I think the will of the Force has much to do with instinct. If you quiet down your own personal values and pay attention to the living Force(your instinct), the will of the Force will get through.

4. poor yorick

poor yorick Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jun 25, 2002
    I think GL was aiming at something like the Tao, or "the Way" that's venerated by those who practice Taoism.

One way to translate "Tao" would be something like "the path of least resistence," or "the way things naturally tend to go." The idea is that just like water naturally runs downhill, human beings have natural paths in the world. So the theory goes that if you just hush up and stop trying to impose your momentary desires on your life, your natural path will be revealed to you. Once you are on this path you are taking the "path of least resistance," and life will be much better for you.

So I wouldn't say the Force has a Will like the Will of God, although I expect GL intended the Judeo-Christian resonance that calls up. I think the Force's "Will" is more like gravity's "will" to pull things downward. As in: sure, you can fight it, but why try?

5. ForceHeretic

ForceHeretic Jedi Youngling star 4

Dec 8, 2002
    The Will of The Force. Is it a Spirit of its own?

Well i don't feel like typing to much right now so I'll just say this

yes

6. __clairvoyant__

__clairvoyant__ Jedi Youngling

Feb 10, 2003
    The reality is that it is not described properly so people would spend more time thinking about it.In the movie, has a will of its own.

7. TheDarkSkull

TheDarkSkull Jedi Youngling star 3

May 12, 2002
    I agree, __clairvoyant__. That's why I'm curious as to everyone's perspective or "point of view" to what is on the screen. Which is why, IMO, one of the powers or greatness of films.

8. Kitt327

Kitt327 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 23, 2000
    Qui-Gon seems to believe the Force has its own will and motivations. He says finding Anakin was 'the will of the Force'. And clearly, if the Force did create Anakin, there must have been some reasoning going on there.

9. Naccha

Naccha Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 6, 1999
    It's like a feeling of fate. Everyday, we encounter coincidences and we disregard them (read The Celestine Prophecy) if one is attuned to the smallest detail ongoing in your life, you will pay attention to these "coincidences" and make a decision to take action or not take action. Using the Force means you are attuned with all that surrounds you...Qui Gon could have just went on his way but he made a conscious decision to investigate further this meeting with Anakin.

10. Darth_Dagsy

Darth_Dagsy Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 2000
    I agree with what Kitt327 said. If the Force can conceive a child, then it obviously has a plan....something it wants done.

If thats the case, then I dont see how the Force doesnt have a Will...a Spirit of its own.

I would also say that since Anakin is its Chosen One...its biggest vessel, one could put forward an argument that he most closely obeys the will of the Force. Perhaps the Force intended for Anakin to turn to the Dark Side...to destroy Jedi....to change the Galaxy.

It brings up interesting questions though.

Could the Force just leave a person....could a Jedi that feels the Force can be abandoned? Sure Midichlorians are the conduit for hearing the Force...but that doesnt mean the Force will always want to say something to a Jedi.

11. NiktosRule

NiktosRule Jedi Padawan star 4

May 8, 2001
    I think that the Force is a spirit of its own.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.