main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends "The Will of the Force" UPDATED 06/12/11 Dear Diary Challenge Qui-Gon Jinn

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by The1stJediPrincess, Jan 1, 2011.

1. The1stJediPrincess

The1stJediPrincess Jedi Master star 2

Sep 20, 2010
    The Will of the Force

Dear Diary Challenge

Time Era: Mostly Jedi Apprentice timeframe. Very late entries will be during TPM.

Characters
    Qui-Gon Jinn--Jedi Master
    Obi-Wan Kenobi--Qui-Gon?s third apprentice
    Xanatos--Dark Jedi, Qui-Gon?s second apprentice
    Skylar Malin--Qui-Gon?s first apprentice, my OC from Forged Bonds
    Anakin Skywalker--The Chosen One?? (Later entries)

Entry One

Today I did the unthinkable. I took my third padawan, after vowing never to take another again. His name is Obi-Wan Kenobi, a bright and eager boy. When I first saw him spar a few weeks ago, I had my mind made up he was an angry boy destined to become an angry man.

My beloved first apprentice, Skylar, tried to point out how wrong I was. She told me he was desperate to impress me and I should give him a chance. She nudged me and smiled, ?Don?t you feel the Force singing around him, Master??

The Force Singing? I did not know what to make of her question; nevertheless, I knew there was something special about the boy. The Force must have known that as well, since I found myself on the Monument with Obi-Wan who was on his way to Bandomeer to be a farmer. He certainly did not belong in the AgriCorps at any rate; however, it was not my place to change what was previously ordained. Alas, I would soon learn again, that the Force moves in mysterious ways.

I sat with him while he was unconscious after coming out on the losing end of an altercation with a Hutt. I felt myself drawn to him and I did not know why. When he woke, it was hard for me to look into those hopeful blue-gray eyes and tell him I was not there to teach him. I could almost hear the Force weep, yet I was a stubborn man.

Stubborn and untrusting, due to Xanatos, my second apprentice who had betrayed me. I would still be in a drunken stupor had it not been for Skylar, who came to me after Xanatos left the Order. I was grateful for her quiet understanding and unconditional love. I certainly was not deserving of it, since I had removed her from my life earlier due to her constant warnings of Xanatos.

Had I only listened to her, listened to the Council, listened to Tahl, then perhaps I would be a different man today.

Xanatos had kidnapped Obi-Wan and imprisoned him on a deep-sea mining platform. I cannot describe the way I felt when I learned Obi-Wan was missing. Or the dread I felt when Xanatos produced Obi-Wan?s lightsaber during our duel. It was meant to put me off balance. The malice in his voice was clear when he asked me, ?And where is your new apprentice??

Obi-Wan was not my apprentice then, of course. Yet the Force was screaming for me to take him, and even Xanatos knew this. I made up my mind then, I was not going to lose Obi-Wan, not this way. I raced to the deep-sea platform but I was too late. Obi-Wan?s captors had pushed him off the top. I was helpless as I watched him plummet to the dark and angry sea below. If Obi-Wan was afraid, he never showed it. He was going to die a Jedi?s death. Then against all odds, a sling shot out, right under Obi-Wan and saved him.

I learned later that Obi-Wan had befriended a Phindian named Guerra. How he managed to make a friend in a place like that astounded me. Even faced with danger under the most terrible of circumstances, Obi-Wan Kenobi?s goodness shined through. His integrity and honesty was what drove Guerra to risk his own life to save Obi-Wan.

As I jumped onto the mining platform, Obi-Wan said something that was like a vibroblade to my heart.

He said, ?I hoped you would come.?

He had hoped, not knew. His innocent statement was a rude awakening for this Jedi Master. Did my short time with this boy cause him to become as untrusting as me? I will pray to the Force it is not so.

This young boy?s dedication and bravery spoke volumes to me. Nothing prepared me for Obi-Wan to be willing to give up his life for mine. He was willing to sacrifice his life to stop Xanatos and save Bandomeer. The Force swirled around him, as if Obi-Wan was its own child and the Force provided a so

2. Falcon

Falcon Chosen One star 10

Feb 7, 2002
    Great start =D= I'm interested on where you take this

3. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Hi: Super beginning and great emotions and self-scrutiny =D=

If you're keeping a PM list for updates, I'd love on it. :D

[:D]

4. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    great start and nice to see your characters appearing

5. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005

Nothing prepared me for Obi-Wan to be willing to give up his life for mine. He was willing to sacrifice his life to stop Xanatos and save Bandomeer. The Force swirled around him, as if Obi-Wan was its own child and the Force provided a solution. We were able to stop Xanatos. Moreover, Obi-Wan Kenobi still saved me; I can feel it every hour as our bond grows even stronger.

Ha, Qui-Gon is stubborn - but not totally blind and deaf.

6. KELIA

KELIA Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 26, 2005
    Very nice beginning.

I can almost hear Skylar telling me, ?I told you so.?

I loved that line. Perhaps now Qui will be willing to listen more :p

I look forward to reading more.

=D= =D= =D= =D=

7. obimom

obimom Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2010
    Wonderful! =D= That was beautifully written. You almost had me in tears in the retelling of these familiar episodes from Qui-Go's POV.

Can't wait for more!![face_dancing]

8. littleobiwankenobi

littleobiwankenobi Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 5, 2009
    wonderful, can´t wait for the next chaper.

Hopeful Qui Gon will see what he has on Obi Wan

Please PM-List. Thanks

9. Gkilkenny

Gkilkenny Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2004
    Great beginning, and easy to read knowing the character Skylar from your other story.=D=

10. The1stJediPrincess

Sep 20, 2010
    JediFalcon: Thank you! I hope you enjoy the next installment.

Jade_eyes: Glad you think I was able to get Qui-Gon?s emotions across. I will be happy to PM you.

earlybird-obi-wan: Thank you. I?m hoping to tie the diary and the other story together somewhat.

Valairy_scot: Yes, Qui-Gon just might get a clue. Thank you for reading!

Kelia: Thank you very much! Here is the next entry.

obimom: Thank you for your kind words. It makes me feel happy I was able to get those emotions across so well.

littleobiwankenobi: Thank you so much. Qui-Gon will see what he has in Obi-Wan. At least eventually. Will be happy to PM you.

Gkilkenny: Thank you for reading. Hope you like the next entry!

Entry 2

It is late, and I?ve just finished meditating. I should sleep as well, but I?m unable too. The experiences of Phindar will haunt me for many years to come. I take comfort in the steady breathing coming from Obi-Wan's bunk. I had almost lost him again. This time not with death, but with a mind wipe. How he managed to withstand having his memory stripped it is outside the realm of my understanding, nevertheless I?m grateful he was able to. I have spent the past two days beside myself with worry about this boy?s well-being. My desperation to protect him surprised even me. I wanted to storm the headquarters and not stop until I found my padawan and absconded with him to safety.

Alas, I needed to wait. For all my years trying to teach students of the Force patience, I had trouble with my own lessons. So my young apprentice was left in that horrible place and those holding him prisoner attempted to wipe his mind. Thank the Force they were not able to carry out their evil intention. Obi-Wan was even clever enough to play along with them, so the Syndicat guards assumed they had been successful.

This exceptional boy is exactly the apprentice many masters would hope for. He is eager, sharp-witted, polite and always ready to do as I ask. He is also impatient and has much to learn about the living Force. In many ways we reminds me of myself at that age. He is the complete opposite from Xanatos. Obi-Wan?s honesty and humbleness could teach even me something.

After we meditated together tonight, Obi-Wan told me how he withstood the mind wipe. It was the river stone I had given him on his thirteenth birthday. What possessed me to give him a rock is beyond me. I wonder what Skylar will say about my gift once she hears. I?m certain she will have a good laugh and tease me. Nevertheless, as the old saying goes, ?the Force moves in mysterious ways.? I never knew this rock was force-sensitive, I thought it was just a pretty rock.

This rock gave Obi-Wan Kenobi the strength to put up barriers around his memories. Something only a Jedi Master, greatly in tune with the Force, should have been able to do. In spite of that, a thirteen year old boy was victorious. He explained how his felt the Force all around him, and he knew he was not alone. My heart warmed when Obi-Wan took the river stone, and put it inside an inner pocket of his tunic. ?I will carry it with me always,? he promises. I believe him too.

As extraordinary as the boy is, something keeps me from opening up to him fully. Our bond is strong. It is much stronger then what my bond with Xanatos had been and as strong if not stronger as my bond with Skylar. Obi-Wan?s eyes are always so full of light, however, sometimes I see the hurt he tries to hide when I?m distant with him. I push those feelings of guilt away, after all, I am the boy?s master not his father. My first Padawan will be the first to tell me I?m wrong, I have no doubt.

QGJ

11. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    Great insight in Obi and Qui and again a wonderful nice update=D=

12. obimom

Oct 31, 2010
    And I'll be the first behind Qui's first padawan and say "You're Wrong, Qui-Gon! Open up to Obi-Wan!!"

Again another wonderful chapter..he knows what a special boy he has..=D=

13. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Obi-Wan's honesty and humility, his eagerness, sharp wit, yup, that's him all right. :)

I get the strong sense that even though Qui-Gon is more open and feels a growing respect and admiration for Obi-Wan's strengths and an affection for his likeable nature -- he still can't bridge the final distance.

I have a feeling that if Qui went from Sky to Obi-wan as apprentices, the degree of intimacy would be as strong. I believe intently that the reticence is Zanatos' legacy. [face_frustrated] :(

14. littleobiwankenobi

littleobiwankenobi Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 5, 2009
    =D=
    thanks for this wonderful chapter.

Obi-Wan?s eyes are always so full of light, however, sometimes I see the hurt he tries to hide when I?m distant with him. I push those feelings of guilt away, after all, I am the boy?s master not his father. My first Padawan will be the first to tell me I?m wrong, I have no doubt.

Yes I can tell you Qui Gon, he is a wonderful boy and you should be a father to him

Can´t wait for the next turn.!

15. Falcon

Falcon Chosen One star 10

Feb 7, 2002
    I loved how the rock made Obi-Wan focus so he didn't lose his memories.

Great update =D=

16. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005

This exceptional boy is exactly the apprentice many masters would hope for. He is eager, sharp-witted, polite and always ready to do as I ask. He is also impatient and has much to learn about the living Force. In many ways we reminds me of myself at that age. He is the complete opposite from Xanatos. Obi-Wan?s honesty and humbleness could teach even me something.

If the padawan teaches the master, the pairing is right. And vice versa. The Force knows what it's up to, Qui. Trust it.

17. Gkilkenny

Mar 27, 2004
    As extraordinary as the boy is, something keeps me from opening up to him fully. Our bond is strong. It is much stronger then what my bond with Xanatos had been and as strong if not stronger as my bond with Skylar. Obi-Wan?s eyes are always so full of light, however, sometimes I see the hurt he tries to hide when I?m distant with him. I push those feelings of guilt away, after all, I am the boy?s master not his father. My first Padawan will be the first to tell me I?m wrong, I have no doubt.
    Perhaps you should listen to Skylar.[face_idea]
    Your portrayal of Qui-Gon is good.=D=

18. The1stJediPrincess

Sep 20, 2010
    earlybird-obi-wan: Thank you! Glad you like the insight! :cool:

obimom: Yes, Qui-Gon can sure be pigheaded at times. He knows deep down what he has in Obi-Wan, he just does not wish to admit it. ;)

Jade_eyes: Obi-Wan is filled with humility and Qui-Gon knows it. But Xanatos left a nasty legacy that Obi-Wan will be ?punished? for. [face_whistling]

Littleobiwankenobi: Thank you for you comments! Let?s see if I can get Qui-Gon to open up to Obi-Wan. Sadly, it will not be in this entry. [face_whistling]

JediFalcon: Obi-Wan was very strong in the Force. It?s really strange he almost did not become a Jedi at all. :rolleyes:

Valairy_Scot: Yes, Qui-Gon needs to listen to the Force. Sadly, we both know how stubborn Qui-Gon is. [face_not_talking]

Gkilkenny: Qui-Gon does not listen to anyone sometimes, not even the Force! [face_shame_on_you]

WINTER CHALLENGE!

ENTRY 3

Obi-Wan Kenobi has been my padawan for just about two months now. He continues to learn and excel and is far beyond his age group in his studies. With the exception of Bruck Chun, it also seems that Obi-Wan has many friends. He is also well liked by his instructors. Everyday one instructor or another stops me in the Temple halls to tell me ?how proud I must be of Obi-Wan?.

Should I be proud of Obi-Wan? I was proud of Xanatos and my pride ending up blinding me. I will not make the same mistakes with Obi-Wan. When I find myself drawn to the boy, I encase my heart in ice and remind myself yet again that I am the boy?s master and not his father. We might become friends one day, however, for now, we are teacher and student. That is how I want it. While our bond is strong, I will not change my ways.

Outside of our lessons, Obi-Wan and I do not communicate much. I respect his privacy and so long as he is back in our apartment by eighth hour and not wreaking havoc in the Temple, he is free to do as he pleases. I?ve been told that my mind and spirit has frozen over like the barren landscape of Hoth.

Of course, only Skylar would be bold enough to tell me this. It was after she observed me correcting Obi-Wan during a sparring session. Obi-Wan?s lightsaber skills are usually fast and fluid. I was surprised that today his movements were off and his footwork sloppy. Perhaps I was too harsh in my correction; however, he had left himself wide open for several attacks. Had we been on a mission, he could have been killed. Even though I hold him at arms length, I do not wish to see harm come to him.

He stood silent, his eyes focused on the floor, listening to my rebuke and not saying a word. I felt embarrassment radiating off of him and his ears were bright red. Once I was done, he slowly raised his head and whispered, ?thank you for your guidance. May I be excused??

I nodded my response and watched him leave the training room as if he were being chased by Darth Bane himself. I noticed too late that my admonishments had attracted a crowd and several padawans stood watching the exchange between Obi-Wan and I.

Skylar came up to me and scolded me for my treatment of the boy, telling me ?your soul is as cold and dead as winter! If you do not shape up, Master, you could do serious damage to that dear boy!?

I listened to her reprimand and dismissed it quickly. I will not coddle nor spoil Obi-Wan. If he makes mistakes, he needs to be made aware of them, so he can rectify his errors. I feel as if I?m right, yet something inside of me tells me I?m mistaken. I will mediate on this tonight.

QGJ

19. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005

Outside of our lessons, Obi-Wan and I do not communicate much. I respect his privacy and so long as he is back in our apartment by eighth hour and not wreaking havoc in the Temple...

:D Our Obi!?! :eek: Nope, no havoc there. [face_shame_on_you]

Perhaps I was too harsh in my correction...I noticed too late that my admonishments had attracted a crowd and several padawans stood watching the exchange between Obi-Wan and I.

Pay attention to your surroundings, Qui! Embarrassing your padawan publicly is not, well, nice. It sounds like you were harsh if even you thought so, but the public part of that is not well done.
    Corrections should be gentle and for the padawan's ears, not the entire Temple's.

I'd love to read Obi-Wan's diary of this day. Or not.

20. obimom

Oct 31, 2010
    Oh Qui-Gon...Correction, needed and not harsh...yes. Harsh correction along with public humiliation, [face_shame_on_you]

Why do I think Qui-Gon's overcompensating with Obi-Wan for what he thinks was too much coddling with Xan is going to come back and bite him where the sun doesn't shine, but Obi's going to pay the price? [face_worried]

21. Gkilkenny

Mar 27, 2004
    It was after she observed me correcting Obi-Wan during a sparring session. Obi-Wan?s lightsaber skills are usually fast and fluid. I was surprised that today his movements were off and his footwork sloppy. Perhaps I was too harsh in my correction; however, he had left himself wide open for several attacks. Had we been on a mission, he could have been killed. Even though I hold him at arms length, I do not wish to see harm come to him.
    He doesn't wish to see harm come to him yet he is the one causing it by his coldness toward him. Oh Qui-Gon when will you learn.

Excellent.=D=

22. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    Qui-Gon[face_shame_on_you] be a little more friendly.

And Obi wreaking havoc[face_mischief] with Garen and Bant;)

Nice update=D=

23. The1stJediPrincess

Sep 20, 2010
    Valairy_Scot posted:

Oh you did it Val! o_O I was considering writing dueling diaries. One from Qui's POV the other with Obi's. Now I guess I have to do it. ;)

24. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    Of course - unless you'd like a counterpoint where we'd coordinate;)

25. The1stJediPrincess

Sep 20, 2010

A counterpoint? That sounds interesting. [face_dancing] Tell me more.