main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Tucson This Meeting of the Backdrop Committee is now in Session...

Discussion in 'SouthWest Region Discussion' started by thatsMISTERwookiee, May 10, 2006.

1. dialswiftjustice

dialswiftjustice Jedi Master star 4

Jul 12, 2005
    How about we also make June 10th construction day and go somewhere and start building! Before the meeting we should volunteer for materials an ddrop them off at the building site, like Cat's garage.

Ill pick up two massive sheets of styrofoam (this is just until we have time and money for a better set)
    and I already have the red rope light and mounting loops

we need volunteers for:

Plywood (2-3 large pieces, nothing pricey it will just be the back)
    2x4's
    nails/screws
    grey (not silver! too reflective)paint
    black paint
    table saw

anything else?

2. firstsonofsolo

firstsonofsolo Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 2, 2006
    I have a circular saw. I also have a couple drills and rotary tools and a cordless sawsall(not very powerfull takes jig blades).

Someone said they had spare 2x4s??? Money is at a stand still for me until something happens with this house deal so I cant commit to anything too expensive so maybe some paint?

As far as the paint goes we need to get FLAT colors instead of gloss or semi gloss or get a flat matte spray and hose everything down when its done! We could use semi-gloss for the black however then it would appear as a window effect.......

3. cathiecat

cathiecat Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 24, 2005
    ask frankie what jake has.. I don't know what to call it..and I don't know if it will be helpful or not for the backdrop making.. frankie should know the answer to that as well. :)

4. hal9k1

hal9k1 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 22, 2003
    I have a drill press if that's needed.

5. thatsMISTERwookiee

thatsMISTERwookiee Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 12, 2005
    Great! We've all got tools that we can bring to use. I've got a circular saw, a sabre saw, a couple of drills,...

Oh, yeah,...WHAT DESIGN ARE WE GOING WITH FOR THE BACKDROPS?

If we can get all the talking and deciding on a design, or designs, out of the way on this thread, then we can start a backdrop, or backdrops. But until we decide which design we want, we won't know what color, or how many colors of paint to get. What tools will we need? How many 4x8 sections will we need? Cat just mentioned storage at their garage, I'm sure she will let us work there, but I would like her or Jake to make it an official invitation.

I will get three sheets of hardboard. It's like pegboard, only without the holes. What we oldtimers refer to as masonite. It's only 1/8th of an inch thick, has a smooth side and a rough side. We could use 1x2 or 2x2 wood for most of the frame.

But we need to decide on a design before we start cutting and drilling.

6. dialswiftjustice

Jul 12, 2005
    THis me thinks is the most Star Wars reminisint, and it looks very sci-fi, it would not be to hard to do either

[image=http://www.niubniubsuniverse.com/download/DeathStarCIII/Walls_pics/WALLround_Large_200.jpg]

The window wouldnt be hard I can just print a large poster of it on sticky paper until we can get something else

[image=http://www.erikstormtrooper.com/clock.jpg][/quote]

7. hal9k1

Dec 22, 2003
    I think this is the best, IMHO

8. Mugen

Mugen Jedi Padawan star 4

May 7, 2005
    Ok Do or Do not time. We need to decide which we are goin g for, what materials to use, and DO IT! I am down..Damian and Dustin are too. We have a ban saw, router, sander, jig saw and some materials...I guess the final step to beginning this project would be to price the board we plan to use at a hardware store like Ace, Lowes, and Home Depot.

9. dialswiftjustice

Jul 12, 2005
    This is what I was thinking of, but maybe extending the non-door wall into the emporers window

[image=http://swnz.dr-maul.com/images/Coll3/DeathStarSet_22swnz.jpg]

[image=http://swnz.dr-maul.com/images/Coll3/DeathStarSet_23swnz.jpg]

The New Sealand 501st made it, looks pretty sweet, Im thinking an "L" shape would halp with stability too

10. thatsMISTERwookiee

Nov 12, 2005
    Patience, my young Sith padawan. Our final decision WILL BE MADE at the June 10th meeting. That still leaves us SIX weekends to physically assemble the backdrop before the ITT event, which some people feel we should not have a backdrop for that, but should save the backdrop for Howl-o-ween at the zoo.

It would appear that we are starting to reach a consensus on the ones we want...

11. firstsonofsolo

Feb 2, 2006
    That is flippin sweet! We could eventually turn that into a very large backdrop or even connect different scenes together.

12. thatsMISTERwookiee

Nov 12, 2005
    Not a bad idea...

13. dialswiftjustice

Jul 12, 2005
    Ok, we got the inspection report back and there's A LOT to do, its actually going to be mroe of a fixer upper than I thought. So, unfortunatly, I cannot contribute any finances to this project other than time and tools.

14. thatsMISTERwookiee

Nov 12, 2005
    We can do better.

15. dialswiftjustice

Jul 12, 2005

I think so to, but since we have only one day before the meeting where we were supposed to build an dno ones volunteering materials, I think we may have to just use this meeting as a place to settle on one cheap idea and set another build day

16. thatsMISTERwookiee

Nov 12, 2005
    That has been the gameplan from the start...

17. thatsMISTERwookiee

Nov 12, 2005
    Party time is over, people. It is time to build backdrops.

The decisions have been made. We will do a three-panel starfield backdrop first, then depending on how well that turns out, we MAY attempt to build a Death Star corridor panel backdrop for Howl-a-ween.

I've already got some of the supplies over at Cat's garage. Will have all that we need in the way of materials, excepting about 12 feet of 2x4s(Dustin, you said your folks had some 2x4 scraps, only need a total of six 2x4 sections that are 2 feet long, max!) over at Cat's by Friday morning, around 9:30-10:00 AM. I should have some photo ideas of starfields that we can choose from for painting on the panels, but Friday we should only get the panels assembled. Do not plan on doing any painting until the first of July, or thereabouts.

In the way of tools, we will need- drills, screwdrivers, saws, I've got a mitrebox(plastic cheapie), if anybody has a metal mitrebox please bring it. If you can think of anything I have forgot to mention, feel free to post it. Otherwise, see ya Friday!

18. dialswiftjustice

Jul 12, 2005
    Thanks for taking the reins on this Jack, but friday we get our keys and I know we will already start moving, and we are real anxious tog et into our house. Ill call when the kids go to bed and see if anyone is still building, but sorry, I wont be able to make itt here for the beginning.

19. firstsonofsolo

Feb 2, 2006
    I am working late on friday but if you guys are still working I will stop by. I will get my keyless drill with assorted drill and screw bits along with my circular saw over to Cats sometime this week. I have some hammers as well as a box of assorted screws, bolts and nails I will bring as well.

Jack get me that list ASAP so I can stop by Home Jippo this week and get the rest of the supplies.

20. thatsMISTERwookiee

Nov 12, 2005
    Don't sweat it, Dustin. Even working by myself I should be able to frame all three panels in two, maybe three hours. It's the painting of the panels that is going to eat up the time. As they say, "the Devil is in the details".
    And I am not quite fool enough to think the painting can be done by one or two people. It won't be until early July when we start to paint.

21. hal9k1

Dec 22, 2003
    When will you start? I might be able to help.

22. Mugen

Mugen Jedi Padawan star 4

May 7, 2005
    Im in, but remember..I work my tail off for the children of this fair city, so I am available after 6-6:30 pm to do some stuff..lmk.

23. cathiecat

cathiecat Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 24, 2005
    whenever anyone wants to come over we will be here ready to assist in any way possible.

24. 14of3amberofborg

14of3amberofborg Jedi Youngling star 1

May 22, 2006
    PAINTING IS MY THING!! Lemme know. I am usually off around 3pm on weekdays. Got all evening would love to have something to do that is not in my house!! (but I do go night night early.. 5AM rolls around prettty fast).

25. dialswiftjustice

Jul 12, 2005
    Heres a great pic

[image=http://24.251.127.62:8088/albums/album06/hall_left.sized.jpg]