main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph "If You Seek His Monument, Look Around You" - The Man of Steel and Announced Sequel Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jedi_Master_Conor, Nov 9, 2006.

1. Jedi_Master_Conor

Jedi_Master_Conor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 24, 2005
    Superman Returns Sequel Has A Working Title

A few weeks ago we broke the story that director Bryan Singer had signed on to direct the sequel to Superman Returns. This week, we can reveal that the new film does in fact have a working title.

ImageWhile we can?t guarantee that this will be the final title of the film, as of right now the sequel project is being referred to as Superman: The Man of Steel.

What you think?

For me, I like it. Simple, nostalgic?it conjures up thoughts of major action that was lacking a bit in ?Returns.? Actually, it?s very similar to Nolan?s The Dark Knight, if they decide to drop the Superman part.

I contacted the reps over at Warner Bros. to ask if they had any comment regarding the working title. The official response was "no comment."

So while it?s too early to tell what to expect in the new film, considering there is no script as of yet, Bryan and his merry band of writers know exactly where they are headed.

ImageLike any good filmmaker, Bryan has laid the groundwork and has confirmed there are many clues in ?Returns? that hint to what direction the sequel will take. He has also said that the next film will be very, ?Wrath of Khan.?

If I had to take an educated guess, Jason White, his love child with Lois Lane, is going to be a big focus of the sequel. If I had to take another educated guess, Superman will be challenged by his old nemesis, General Zod.

However, Zod will not be alone in his quest of vengeance against Jo-Rel and his son Ka-Lel. I believe that Zod will team up with other villains and maybe, just maybe, his cross hairs will be aimed directly at The Man of Steel?s heir, Jason White.

What?s for certain? Only that The Man of Steel will be back on the big screen mid-2009.

[color=darkblue]
    Let the speculation for the sequel begin.
    [/color]

2. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    I hope they do drop the Superman to make it "The Man of Steel".

R2-DK likes this.
  3. Master_Bauer

Master_Bauer Jedi Youngling star 1

May 13, 2006
    I would be very happy with either versions of that title. [face_peace]

4. Kol_Skywalker

Kol_Skywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 9, 2006
    If Superman Returns was meant to loosely follow the continuity of the first two Christover Reeve films, then how can General Zod come back?

Apparently Bryan Singer was adamently keen on Jude Law for the role of Zod, to the point of Law rejecting the offer up to about five times. Personally, I can't envision Law in the role. Who do you think would be appropriately cast as Zod if he were to be featured in the film? Out of left field... give Terence Stamp hair dye, and bring him back!

5. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Interestingly enough, Richard Donner joked at the "Donner Cut" charity screening that Bryan Singer (in attendence) could use the Phantom Zone villians since the actors all look fairly good for their respective ages. Going by the Donner Cut ending, if their is another nuclear explosion in space, then the Phantom Zone will crack again. Since at the end of the Donner Cut, they're put back into the Phantom Zone.

I'd wager that it's not Zod and someone like Brainiac. As to the title, I think it'll remain Superman: The Man Of Steel until a title is settled upon. The script for Returns was called "Red Sun".

6. Reynar_Tedros

Jul 3, 2006
    Wow, how's this for a title:

The Last Son

Just came to me.

And I'd much rather see Brainiac instead of Zod. We've already seen a good interpretation of Zod, we need something fresh.

At the end of the sequel, there should be a hint of an appearance by Darkseid, and have him be the antagonist of the third movie.

7. Walken

Walken Jedi Padawan star 4

May 3, 2004
    [face_not_talking]

Lame. Completely lame. I wish they would stop rehashing the same thing over and over, and I hated the fact he has a son. While I did enjoy SR, I feel this is the wrong direction to go for the franchise.

8. weezer

weezer Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 16, 2001
    Whats that? The title? The fact that there will be more action?

The Zod thing has been shot down several times even though it continues to be the hot guess on the interweb.

9. Darth_Hydra

Darth_Hydra Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 14, 2001
    Titles don't bother me too much even if it's one I hate. As for villains, I hope Zod isn't done again and that we get Brainiac. He'd provide opportunities for plenty of action sequences and actually make Superman use his brain.

10. Kol_Skywalker

Jun 9, 2006
    What's the story behind Braniac? Is he a serious character, or a comic (pardon the pun) character? Would he work in a Bryan Singer Superman film?

By the way, I really love the working title, and hope that it becomes the final title.

11. Moleman1138

Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 18, 2004
    Stealing from Batman Begins are we?

Let's see:
    Superman Returns
    The Man of Steel

Batman Begins
    The Dark Knight

Anyways this can be the offical SR2 thread.

12. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Yes, Brainiac would work well for the film. Depending on which origin they go with, will determine the directon of the story.

Pre-Crisis

[image=http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/7/70/ActionComics242.jpg]

Brainiac debuted in Action Comics 242 in 1958, as a mysterious alien who shrinks down Metropolis and puts it in a bottle. Superman learns that Brainiac has done this before to several cities from different worlds, including Kandor from Krypton. Superman manages to re-enlarge every city save for Kandor before the shrinking device is destroyed while confronting Brainiac. Superman managed to send Brainiac off, but he would return time and again to oppose Superman, often working alone or with Lex Luthor. In time it was revealed that he was a computer intelligence in an artifical body from the planet Colu. In Action Comics #544, Brainiac was forced to upgrade his body to an endoskeleton.

[image=http://www.hillcity-comics.com/toys/crisis_brainiac.jpg]

Eventually, the Crisis On Infinite Earths came and history was changed.

Post-Crisis

[image=http://superman.ugo.com/images/galleries/superman_enemies_comics/brainiac_1_180.jpg]

Brainiac was an alien scientist named Virl Dox whose body was destroyed, but was able to transfer his conscious from Colu to Earth, to inhabit the body of Milton Fine. A circus performer who had latent telepathic and telekinetic abilites brought on by a brain tumor. After a second battle with Superman, Brainiac had a body created very similar to his original Coluan form. Superman and Brainiac would fight time and again, until "Y2K/Endgame" when he attempted to take control of Metropolis and instead, became Brainiac 13, a future incarnation of himself.

[image=http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/8/82/Supesy2k.jpg/401px-Supesy2k.jpg]

In time, Brainiac 13 was defeated for good. When last seen, Brainiac had taken on a new form and was working with Lex Luthor against the Teen Titans and the Outsiders.

[image=http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/f/fb/SupermanCv219.jpg/395px-SupermanCv219.jpg]

However, Richard Donner and Geoff Johns plan to use Brainiac for their second story arc on Action Comics. Which version will be used is unknown. Much less what he will look like.

Animated continuity.

[image=http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/7/7b/Brainiac%28STAS%29.jpg]

In the DCAU, it is revealed that Brainiac was a computer program created by Jor-El on Krypton, to aide him in research. But Brainiac had developed a sense of self preservation, thus lying to the Kryptonian council about the planet's destruction and then taking off, before the planet blew. Superman would encounter him years later, when Brainiac would attempt to collect all there was to know about Earth and then destroy it. As he had other worlds. After defeating Brainiac, the machine was able to control Waynetech computers where he had transfered his conscious. Brainiac had taken control of Bruce and used his resources to construct a new body. The combined efforts of Superman disguised as Batman and Robin, defeated Brainiac. Brainiac would also do this to Lex Luthor, using him to construct a new body. Brainiac would have a new body created once more and escaped into outer space. Superman and the Justice League would encounter him a few years later, when Brainiac began an assault on Apokolips, forcing Darkseid to enlist the team's aid. A final showdown resulted in the destruction of Brainiac and Darkseid. The League would find Brainiac's conscious which had survived in a computer program, so they put him in statis in the Watchtower. Later, unwittingly, Static Shock and Gear would free Brainiac while aboard the Watchtower to recharge their equipment after a massive power failure. Static Shock man

13. Reynar_Tedros

Jul 3, 2006
    I like the animated continuity. Daniel Day-Lewis would make an excellent Brainiac.

14. Panther50

Panther50 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 7, 2004
    Man of Steel as a title has my seal of approval.

15. RolandofGilead

RolandofGilead Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 17, 2001
    The title, I like. Waiting until 2009 to actually get to see this movie? Not so much.

16. weezer

May 16, 2001
    I personaly would rather see the other thread get a re-title or something, but thats just me.

17. Darth_Hydra

Darth_Hydra Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 14, 2001
    I kinda prefer this thread over the other. This can cover the sequel without having to go through tons of pages and posts that are dealing with Superman Returns and the upcoming DVDs(how many ever different versions WB tries to cram down our throats between now and 2009).

18. Walken

Walken Jedi Padawan star 4

May 3, 2004
    The title I'm fine with, as of course more action. Its the villian choices and story rehashing I'm tired of. I would love to see villians we wouldn't expect or that aren't used often but kick ass. I hope Zod isn't used, and I hope they keep Luthor to a bare minimum.

19. Jedi_Master_Conor

Jedi_Master_Conor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 24, 2005
    I don't really care if they use Zod again as long as the story is good. But I'd rather see a new villain brought to the big screen like Brainiac or Darkseid. I agree Luthor should be kept to a minimum but he still has to be in partially.

20. weezer

May 16, 2001
    I won't be zod.

My money has been on Brainiac for some time now. I'm all for the green one ;)

21. CJS

CJS Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 15, 2006
    I think Braniac is the next logical choice and I'll concede that making Darkseid look good is a serious obstacle at this point in time. However, there could be a different sort of iteration of Darkseid that pays homage to the comic design. It's possible to acknowledge it without actual mimicry. I personally think Darkseid would be the most imposing villain to square Superman up against; however, Braniac would certainly be a formidable opponent, as he has proven time and time again.

I just hope Singer and crew are prescient enough to marginalize the Jason character for this film. The last thing this series needs is the sort of camp engendered by a Superman/Superboy story arc. There are bigger fish to fry, in my opinion, with this film.

22. Kol_Skywalker

Jun 9, 2006
    What does Darkseid look like? What is his character history?

23. OBI-BEN-KENOBI

OBI-BEN-KENOBI Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 13, 2004
    [image=http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/1037/takingomegabeams37fi5yc.jpg]

[image=http://images.auctionwagon.com/auctionsthatwork/G2SM9f9b9356-8320-4d6b-975d-b39392decdc3-5694.jpg]

24. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    In the DCU, there are the Old Gods. These existed on the Second World which was later destroyed. From them it is said, came the New Gods who occupy the Fourth World which includes two separate worlds. Each living on a world that is similar to heaven and hell. New Genesis is home to those of the New Gods. Highfather, Orion, Lightray, Metron, Mister Miracle, Big Barda, the Forever People/Infinity Man and Takion. On Apokolips is Darkseid, Dessad, Kalibak, Vriman Vunderbar, Steppanwolf, Kanto, Mantis, Granny Goodness, the Female Furies and Glorious Godfrey. Along with a host of Parademons.

Darkseid, as noted, is obsessed with finding the Anti-Life Equation which will give him ultimate power as he believes it will. It will also prevent the destruction of the Fourth World. Darkseid has incredible strength that few can match. He is also very durable as it takes a lot to hurt him. But it doesn't matter as he can heal. He's very much immortal. He's fast and has incredible stamina. He can also unleash an energy blast from his eyes known as the Omega Effect which can either destroy what it touches or transport it elsewhere, even send someone through time and space. Even to other universes. He also occassionally calls it the Omega Beams. It is foretold that his son Orion will one day kill him in a pitched battle that will end in Darkseid's death and maybe Orion's.

Superman first encountered Darkseid in "Forever People" #1. Darkseid represents all that Superman opposes and is one of the few villians whose battle would mean the destruction of everything. A total cataclysimic apocalypse. True armageddon. Darkseid also has ties to a group known as Intergang, a criminal organization that has plagued Superman over the years and only recently expanded to include the rest of the DCU.

In "Superman: Apokolips Now" and in the animated DCU, Superman has managed to beat Darkseid in a physical battle despite Darkseid's incredible power. Though just as often, Darkseid as owned Superman. When he doesn't fight directly, he employees minions to do his work. He is the lord and master of Apokolips, a hellish world that he has dominion over. He is a god to the people and is worshipped and feared as such.

25. JediOverlord

JediOverlord Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 28, 2000
    I hope they use Brainiac in the sequel,becuase he's never been used much in live-action,and would be a fresh opponent for Supes to battle on the big screen. It also opens up the possibility of the bottle city of Kandor appearing on screen,depending on how and if they bring Brainiac to the screen.