main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Colum, GA thoughts on movie? ))99% SPOILER WARNING TO THOSE WHO HAVE NOT SEEN IT((

Discussion in 'SouthEast Regional Discussion' started by Darth_Decol, May 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Decol

Darth_Decol Jedi Youngling

Sep 26, 2002
    Name one thing that was your fav. part in the film.

1) The betrayal in the whole movie itself just shocked me.

ps- I ran into car trouble so i couldn't make it to jason deli in time, i came and no jedi were to be found. ( I tried taking my RX7 out to see it instead of my ranger and the turbo started spooling on me bad and didnt have time to fix it.)

2. Phoenix21

Phoenix21 Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 10, 2003
    Holy Cow!!!

Needless to say, my nephew was embarrassed sitting next to me with all my crying and jumping. I had lots of running mascara by the time the credits roled.

I stayed away from the spoilers as much as I could so I only knew the basics. Therefore, I was impressed. The verdict is still out for some of the others I was sitting with, they said there were a few items that they'll have to think on. I'd sure like to know what that is.

I think it did a great job answering questions and bridging the prequeal with the original 3. I'll have to watch them later today when I wake up.

3. wookieefanPJM

wookieefanPJM Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 13, 2005
    I liked the best - Chewy saving Yoda

I liked the LEAST - how much of a weak minded fool Anaikin really was...geezz,,,

What surprised me most - ORDER 66

What did I miss most - no rebel alliance.

I am w/ Pheonix.. I must see it several more times BUT I LOVED IT

4. Cosmic_Knight

Cosmic_Knight Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 7, 2004
    Favorite part of the movie: Yoda! Especially when he takes out the clonetroopers trying to implement Order 66 - best moment in the movie.

Least favorite part of the movie: The way Anakin goes over to the Dark Side. The reasons why he goes over were acceptable, but the way things play out in the story were not convincing. It was like Palpatine was using a powerful Sith Mind Trick on him, which definitely makes him a "weak-minded fool" as wookiefan put it.

This is the only time I have left the first viewing of a Star Wars movie feeling disappointed, though 'disappointed' is too strong a word. I was afraid people were going to be let down because of the great expectations for this film. Maybe that is the case with me. I plan to see it again, and really hope that my expectations were just too high and that I will like it better the next time.

Without doing a full review, here are some of my other initial criticisms (MORE SPOILERS AHEAD):
    - Anakin has such a huge problem spying on Palpatine for the Jedi Council, yet he did not have a problem spying on the Jedi Council for Palpatine, which seemed to be the whole reason Palpatine wanted him on the Council anyway! Part of the Sith Mind Trick?
    - Anakin's whining about not getting a 'promotion' to 'Master' when being put on the Council. Was this just to emphasize his ambition as one of his flaws?
    - The whole Jedi Knight/Master issue. This movie says only Jedi Masters sit on the Council. Obi-Wan now sits on the Council, but is he a Master or just a Knight? I always thought it was the latter. ("I was once a Jedi Knight, the same as your father.... You must go to the Dagobah system. There you will seek Yoda, the Jedi Master who instructed me.") The title 'Master' has been used in the prequels as an honorific, not necessarily inferring Jedi Master. For example, addressing Obi-Wan as 'Master Kenobi' doesn't necessarily mean he is a Jedi Master like Yoda or Mace Windu. The reluctance to having Anakin on the Council is understandable due to his lack of experience, but this was poorly handled in the film just by saying he shouldn't be on the Council because he is not a Jedi Master per se, when the issue of who is a Jedi Master is unclear anyway.
    - The scene where Mace, et. al., go to arrest Palpatine didn't work for me. I can't buy that four Jedi of that caliber would be defeated so easily, knowing that Palpatine was the Sith Lord when they went after him. If they went to arrest him for treason, not yet knowing that Palpatine was Sidious, it might have worked as it was. If he had hit them all with the Force Lightning at the start, then the rest of the scene played it as it did, it might have worked. As it was, I did not find it very believable.
    - Samuel L. Jackson's screaming in that scene was way over the top. I was impressed with his acting in Episodes I-II, but not in this movie.
    - The Count Dooku scene didn't work very well for me either. It bothered me how easily Dooku dealt with Obi-Wan and Anakin in Episode II, especially considering that Obi-Wan is the only living Jedi to have killed a Sith, as they point out in the novels. In Episode III, we get a close repeat of the scene with Obi-Wan knocked out of the fight early once again. Also, the scene didn't fit well in the context of where it was in the movie.
    - The Obi-Wan vs. Grievous battle. This looked like it was going to be really good at the beginning when Grievous is whirling 2 lightsabers like helicopter blades and dragging 2 more across the floor sending sparks flying. The way it ended left me going, "That's it?"
    - The whole sequence with Obi-Wan going after Grievous seemed unnecessary to the overall plot to an extent. In the DVD audio commentary for Episode IV, Lucas explains that he 'killed off' Obi-Wan in that movie because he had nothing for him to do at the end. In Revenge of the Sith, it seemed like he had Ob-Wan go after Grievous because he had nothing else for him to do in the middle of the story.
    - The CGI effects were not that impressive. The lizard that Obi

5. Jeebakin

Jeebakin Jedi Youngling

May 1, 2005
    My FAV part was obi-wan/anakin duel. It was SOOOO FAST!!! could barely keep track of the moves! Amazing!

Least FAV part - my group of friends getting to carmike at 6:00p.m. and other people getting there MUCH later complaining to the management because they were not the first ones in line, then those people trying to cut their way in front of people from my group.

6. Darth_Decol

Darth_Decol Jedi Youngling

Sep 26, 2002
    The only probelm I had with the movie is it seemed, to rushed... my thoughts....

Fav theme: All the betrayal.

Fav Moment: right when it started flipping back and forth from the obi vs anakin fight to yoda vs paply, like when the platform was raising and etc. should have played duel of fates there tho... :/

Fav Mind: I found out a very nice look at it after i left the movie.... think about it. Jedis are selfless, and care about others than themselfs. Anakin took it to much on another level with padme and turned him darkside becuase he cared so much and wanted to safe her he gave "HIS" life for her, in the since of the break down infront of palpy and becoming lord vader and like obiwan said, hence anakin dead and vader living. So basically doing one of the most important jedi rules was his downfall.

Fav Funny Part: r2d2 stole the whole movie if you ask me in terms of funny.

The movie at the begining, say first 30 mins was great. But when obi got assigned to go kill GG, it seemed things just went into hyperdrive and had about 50 or so deleted screen and extened fighting taken away.

I seen a interview with GL saying obi was a master. Why that qoute form ANH says "i was once", becuase be honest once a jedi always a jedi unless you go dark. I'll see if I can find it.

7. Phoenix21

Nov 10, 2003
    I posted right after getting home from the movie...too much going on in my head to say what was my favorite and least favorite of the scenes.

It's still hard to say - I'd have post that goes on for pages...

However, I can say when I got that sick feeling in my stomach...the horror started when Anikan was ordered to kill everyone at the temple, it kicked into overdrive when the youngling asked Anikan for help - it still gives me chills. But when order 66 was implemented, I thought I'd be sick. (I believe it was this whole section of the movie where I embarrassed my nephew.) Up to that part I was enjoying the whole SW experience like I have with all the other films.

But I must say even with the comments about Anikan's weakness, Yoda said it best in ep I, "Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering." We were shown in that first movie what Anikan's greatest weakness is - his love. He loves so much that he's afraid to loose it. It's the fear, anger & hate that leads to the slaughter of the sand people. And it's those same feelings that's used against him by Palpitine. I don't see it as mind control so much as manipulation.

8. wookieefanPJM

Apr 13, 2005
    i guess i didnt want to believe George Lucas when he said Anaikin was a weak minded fool. DV just had to be the biggest baddie of them all.

ends up its just the emperor and no one else. frill.

I hate it.

But I love the movie I cant wait to see it again

9. shopgirl

shopgirl Jedi Youngling

Aug 11, 2004
    its tough to just pick one thing

10. wookieefanPJM

Apr 13, 2005
    Silvermane and I are going to see it on Saturday. I have to catch up w/ my fellow geeks..and see it more than once.

11. Phoenix21

Nov 10, 2003
    Oohh, yea...we need to get together and see it again.

12. Cosmic_Knight

Cosmic_Knight Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 7, 2004
    Right now, I want to read the novelization. Ran into Hero the other night at Walmart, and we were looking at the graphic novel. I had glanced through it before and noticed several differences with the movie. There were scenes not in the movie - showing the demise of several Jedi, for example - and at least one scene from the movie missing: Anakin's conversation with Yoda about his premonitions. I fully read the graphic novel last night, and there are *lots* of differences, many of which appear to be scenes deleted from the film. One noteworthy scene is a meeting between Bail Organa, Padme, and Mon Mothma, who was not even in the movie, IIRC, where the beginnings of the rebellion are being discussed. This makes me want to read the full novel to see how the story plays out there.

I saw it again last Sunday. Some of my initial concerns were addressed. For example, the CGI effects were awesome on the whole, with a few exceptions. Still have problems with the story, though. The beginning is good, the ending is very good, the middle doesn't work. It seems like part of the film was made from a rough draft of the story, where all the plot details had not been worked out and made consistent. After reading the GN with all its differences, I wonder if this was the case, that Lucas really hadn't finished the story, but ran out of time and had to film it anyway.

I am glad that most everyone seems to love it.

Want to see it again, but it will be a few weeks probably. Still lots of details to look for. I saw the 'Millenium Falcon', but missed the George Lucas cameo. (Know where to look for him now). Also thought I caught just a glimpse of Luminara Unduli on Kashyyyk that I want to look for again.

13. WedgeAntilles1

WedgeAntilles1 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 16, 2002
    I liked it, it was a little rushed though, but otherwise great. My favorite part was the battle scenes and Order 66. My least favorite part was all of the discusion between Palpitine and Anakin. A little too much if you ask me.

14. shopgirl

shopgirl Jedi Youngling

Aug 11, 2004
    after the second viewing: my favorite was the first part of the movie with anakin and obiwan on the way to save palpatine.

least fave: the ruination of the world, all because anakin was thinking with his penis.

15. Jeebakin

Jeebakin Jedi Youngling

May 1, 2005
    yeah, i loved the two jedi interceptors flying are the star destroyers and such. amazing cgi there. the jedi purge was awesome, especially when anakin was in the room with the younglings. see, i was watchin the movie with some guys from work, and one didnt like star wars but went cause we did. and he was already getting into the movie by then, and when that youngling ask anakin what to do and anakin ignited his lightsaber, my friend got pissed! now he is hooked on star wars. he's read the OT books and is reading the prequels now.

16. DarkonSlayer

DarkonSlayer Jedi Youngling

Jun 27, 2005
    Id have to say the part I didn't like is the droid army with personallity in Ep 1 and 2 they where mindless remotes the two SBDs with personallity just thru a monkey wrench in the whole droid army!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.