main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:VIC Three months...

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by Jedi_Nat, Oct 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Koroshiya_keefu

Koroshiya_keefu Jedi Master star 2

Jan 3, 2005
    Just generally avoid anyone in the streets of Melbourne. I advise running through the city screaming in fear as to gain complete clearance to shops and services.

2. Jedi_Nat

Jedi_Nat Jedi Master star 5

Nov 28, 2000
    Advice I will remember.

I bought a laptop yesterday! I have a new toy to play with!

3. Jedi_Knight88

Jedi_Knight88 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 18, 2005
    Cool! What are the specs?

4. PulsarSkate

PulsarSkate Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2003
    ^ Spoken like a true technogeek (and you took the words right out of my mouth :p)

5. TheBoogieMan

TheBoogieMan Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 14, 2001
    It'll only be any good if it's a mac. :p

6. Jedi_Knight88

Jan 18, 2005
    Yeah, cos everything's compatible with a Mac...:p

And guilty as charged, Skate ;) It's great having fellow geek girls around!

7. Koroshiya_keefu

Jan 3, 2005
    I've been waiting and waiting for the new Rev B Intel Power Books... Will they ever come? I'm too frightened of the current models, with their crazy faults and trouser burning heat!

8. TheBoogieMan

Nov 14, 2001
    Well they just announced Duel Processor Intel MacBook Pro's the other day. They sound invincible!

I need to get a new iPod - my old one has been well loved, and at four years, three hours battery life and half the required capacity, I think I can justify the purchase. Still, I'm waiting until Jobs does his "and another thing" speech before I get an 80GB model just in case they bring out something cooler. I've heard rumours of full-screen iPods (as in, the whole iPod is a screen) and I'd be willing to wait to get my mittens on one of them...

9. Koroshiya_keefu

Jan 3, 2005
    Well, I'm not getting an Ipod, because I'm waiting to see how the Zune goes... If it allows me to see my Xbox Live friends anywhere I go, then I'm all for it. I get to bitch at how low my Gamerscore is compared to everyone else... Oh yea, hooray for Zune!

10. TheBoogieMan

Nov 14, 2001
    Well considering I don't have a PC and I'll be trading in my Xbox to get a Wii in about a month, the Zune holds little to no appeal for me. I also really doubt it'll get anywhere near the iPod.

11. Jedi_Nat

Jedi_Nat Jedi Master star 5

Nov 28, 2000
    I know nothing about computers. I got a laptop as it's easier to get to Melbourne than the computer I have already (that's also at least five years old).

12. SithLord-Mixo

SithLord-Mixo Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 21, 2002
    I used a Wii at a developer's in Melbourne about a month or so ago. It is a lot of fun. They are developing many games for it, including an RTS. It will also be at eGames next month in Melbourne (17th-19th Nov) before the release date. The PS3 was meant to be there but was held back. I will also be there on the Friday if anyone wants an interview. I will be there, then go to ACMI for an exhibition on gaming then to the Art Gallery for an anime exhibit

13. TheBoogieMan

Nov 14, 2001
    Wow, very cool. I can't wait for the Wii to be released - I didn't know it had been at any expos already. Yes, the RTS is Red Steel, which is looking to be quite good, but not definitive. Call of Duty is also coming out soonish after the release day, as is Far Cry.

14. SithLord-Mixo

Apr 21, 2002
    I have only seen the Wii at a developers Boogie, and also played with it. Get to eGames in November though and it will be there.

http://www.egamesexpo.com.au/

and for serious gamers there is the go3 next year in Perth!
    http://www.go3.com.au/html/conference.html

15. Jedi_Knight88

Jan 18, 2005
    Mmm, PS3...the only problem will be the price tag once it's released. It'll be interesting to see how the Wii stacks up against it- PS2 outsold GameCube 10-1.

I found Playstation controls to be the most user-friendly. XBox was way too clunky and my fingers kept twisting into funny positions playing Simpsons Hit'n'Run on the GameCube. I'm actually out of a platform at the moment- my PC's too old to play anything past 2004, and my only console is a Playstation 1 :_|

16. TheBoogieMan

Nov 14, 2001
    As much as I loathe MS, I actually like the Xbox's controller the best, of the current gen. The Cube was okay, but not brilliant, and I've always hated the PS controller, primarily because a) it feels so flimsy in my hands and b) the buttons are barely raised off the surface.

17. HawkNC

HawkNC Former RSA: Oceania star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2001
    I thought Red Steel was the slash-em-up FPS?

18. TheBoogieMan

Nov 14, 2001
    It is. The game seems to be 50/50 guns and swords.

19. SithLord-Mixo

Apr 21, 2002
    The main Wii controllers are really fun and light. The tennis game is quite a workout!

20. TheBoogieMan

Nov 14, 2001
    :oops:

Halfway through browsing another forum I realised that I'd mistakenly read RTS as FPS. My bad. :(

21. Koroshiya_keefu

Jan 3, 2005
    I've got all of the current gen consoles, and a 360... I'm getting right into my 360 at the moment, and will pick up a Wii also (maybe not on launch though because I really wanted a hot red Wii) but I'm not getting a PS3 anytime soon, Sony is blowing a whole heap of hot air with that hunk of junk.

22. TheBoogieMan

Nov 14, 2001
    That's some dedicated gaming. I don't have nearly that much money to spend on games. I waited until this year to get an Xbox, and even then it was only to play KOTOR II. As it is, I'm trading in my Cube and my Xbox to get a Wii.

23. Koroshiya_keefu

Jan 3, 2005
    Well, I do love to play a few games...

It kicks my wallet's butt though. So I was worried about the whole having to get a PS3 for certain games, like MGS4 or Devil May Cry 4, but there are better chances this console round, of seeing these titles pop up on the 360 later down the track.

24. SithLord-Mixo

Apr 21, 2002
    The PS3 is a much more powerful machine than the 360, but I don't think it will be worth the wait. I am a PC man anyway. PCs blow consoles out of the water :)

25. Koroshiya_keefu

Jan 3, 2005
    From an all-round performance level, the 360 and PS3 are pretty much equal in power. They both have their positives and negatives, 360's has a better GPU, PS3 a better CPU, but don't ask me to go into tech details because it's too frustrating to find readable info...

PC's are definatley more powerful due to upgrades, but they are lacking in any good games at the moment... Everyone who has a PC, only plays Wow... I remember reading an article about how every PC games company has taken losses since Blizzard released their time consumer...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.