main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Tucson TIMOTHY ZAHN in TUCSON, ARIZONA

Discussion in 'SouthWest Region Discussion' started by cathiecat, Sep 9, 2007.

1. cathiecat

cathiecat Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 24, 2005
    Dusenberry-River Branch Library
    5605 E River Rd.
    Tucson, AZ 85750

On Saturday, September 22nd from 12 noon - 4pm Timothy Zahn will be at this library. Here is the pertinent information.

SciFi Pros on SciFi Prose: Science Fiction Author WorkshopsProfessional writers of science fiction, fantasy, and horror will talk the nuts and bolts of how to write speculative fiction: world-building, character development, research and realism, story arc and pacing, creating conflict, and much more. The format of the presentation is a moderated panel discussion; there will be no hands-on writing or critiques. Come hear what the pros have to say about how it is really done!

Best-selling authors Timothy Zahn and John Vornholt give you the inside scoop on writing science fiction novels and comics related to media blockbusters like Star Wars, Star Trek, and more. These full time professional writers have dozens of books to their credit. Now you can get the benefit of their years of experience when you sit down to write your own stories and novels -- or just come listen to some fine writers talk about their craft! Light refreshments will be served.

Books will be available for sale and authors will be available to sign their books after the program.

Registration is required and is limited to 75 attendees. Please call 791-4979 or stop by the branch to register.

Timothy Zahn will also be at the Joel Valdez Main Library on Sunday September 23rd from 1pm to 5pm for the same type workshop and for this day No registration is required. Park in the lot below the library for free on Sundays. This day and time does have a one hour overlap with our TFF event/meeting that we have scheduled at Toy Boxx for 4pm.

2. RebelMom

RebelMom Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 20, 2000
    I will be trying to register for the Saturday workshop. I've got a couple of friends coming down from Phoenix. I'll be calling tomorrow when I get home from my employment workshop.

*keeping fingers crossed that they won't be booked fast*

3. _Anakin_Vader_

_Anakin_Vader_ Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 8, 2005
    OK. I wanted to go to this. So how are we going to work out the overlap?

4. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    is it possible you can get off for the day before and we can just go to the Dusenburg-River event instead? otherwise we could still go to the sunday event and leave early for Toy Boxx and perhaps assign one person to stay behind and get autographs for the group and come late to Toy Boxx....

5. RebelMom

Apr 20, 2000
    Kelly, Mandy and I are booked for the 22nd. Kelly couldn't do Sunday. She asked me to thank you for posting this. She is so excited about this.

6. Jada

Jada Jedi Master star 6

Apr 20, 2006
    [face_frustrated]

Why? Why after I leave Tucson? [face_frustrated] :mad: :( :_|

7. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    I registered myself, Brandon, Alex, Kat, and Mike for saturday... just in case... if I registered you and you don't want to be registered just let me know and I will remove your name. I just wanted to be sure we got a few places in line for Saturday.

8. JediObiKat

JediObiKat Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 15, 2006
    You're brilliant, Cat. Thanks for registering me :)

9. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    I have now added Chris and Phil to the registration. At this time they show the list at 28 people, so there is still room for more to be added. Damien, do you think you should pass this info along to the DSG in case they are interested in coming down for it, I know several of their group reads a lot of the EU.

10. dialswiftjustice

dialswiftjustice Jedi Master star 4

Jul 12, 2005
    I called Damien about it the day you posted this Cat :)

11. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
  12. hal9k1

hal9k1 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 22, 2003
    I posted in on their fourms already.

13. RebelMom

Apr 20, 2000
    I had a wonderful time at this. My friend who came down from Phoenix loved it.

14. Zedd

Zedd Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 20, 2007
    I want to see the PICTURES!!!

15. firstsonofsolo

firstsonofsolo Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 2, 2006
    I am sorry I couldnt make it guys and even more sorry that I was not able to meet with Liz. How did it go? lets hear some stories!!

16. Zedd

Zedd Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 20, 2007
    O well. It was awesome! I talked to TZ about his inspirations for Thrawn, and how he has become such a major character in the EU. He was one cool guy. I MET THE GUY THAT INVENTED MY FAVORITE CHARACTER. Next to George Lucas himself, (and Sansweet, who I have already met) he is the one person I really wanted to meet.

The bad thing about it all was that the other author that was there was known for his "unmentionable" books (I refuse to say those blasphemous words that rhyme with "Car Wreck")

17. JediObiKat

JediObiKat Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 15, 2006
    I was quite interesting to listen to both authors talk. I didn't realize I had actually read one of John Vornholt's Star Trek books (the first of the "Dominion War" series). Timothy Zahn was a neat person...and yes Zedd, all hail the creator of Thrawn and Mara and Car'das and Carrde and Ghent and Pelleon and....on and on

18. Jada

Jada Jedi Master star 6

Apr 20, 2006
    I know that Cat has a lot to say on this subject. [face_mischief]

19. RebelMom

Apr 20, 2000
    She should. She was supposed to call me about it...

20. Jada

Jada Jedi Master star 6

Apr 20, 2006
    I got a call [face_mischief] :p

Again, I'm uber jealous of you all and I intend to tell Tim when he is here in March. ;)