main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Toronto [TLL Fan Film] Spitball Session - Who is in? What are we doing?

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by Spiderfan, Feb 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spiderfan

Spiderfan Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 9, 2004
    In order to not derail the other thread entirely the discussion is being moved here. Check here for discussion and updates.

Current Status: Pre-production - Planning

As discussed in the other thread its likely the best choice to work on a smaller project that everyone can participate on. A shorter shoot involves less co-ordinating and less time invested. I am still leaning towards a duel because its relatively simple. It doesn't necesarily require acting experience, a script or really even a plot. Essentially all we need is two or three sabers, choreography, a camera (or two) and the combatants. I know both Tessa and I have decent 3CCD MiniDV Cameras and I may have access to an even better camera.

The TFN fan film boards hosts a contest every so often that would be a great opportunity for such a project and their submission guidelines seem to be fairly straightforward.

So what I want from you guys is more in depth discussion and to start some level of organization. Who wants to do what? What can you bring to the project? At this point I want to see who is genuinely interested (if at all).

Personally I can perform a number of tasks if necessary. Being an editor that is naturally what I would like to do primarily. But if it comes to scripting, shooting, planning, rotoscoping, directing etc I am up for it. Essentially anything short of acting and I am willing to step up.

Location: The Badlands suggested by grey_starr seems like a natural locale that would be awesome and I am totally in favour of.
    [image=http://farm1.static.flickr.com/23/28381731_e1325d3f79.jpg]

Things we need to think about...
    Do we want costumes?
    Do we want a story? (in which case we need a more polished script and better actors)
    What are we doing about props?
    Who will do what Job?

Anything I am forgetting??

2. grey_starr

grey_starr Jedi Master star 4

Jan 22, 2004
    Here is the Google map link to the Badlands... http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=brampton&ie=UTF8&ll=43.772504,-79.944077&spn=0.003494,0.006394&t=h&z=18&om=0 .. I think it's a wicked aerial shot! Simply pan out and you can see exactly where it is... and how you would get there...

I'd LOVE to be part of a duel... however... I'd be willing to be in my Sandtrooper Armour for it... And Alex and I should have X-Wing pilot costumes by then... A duelling Pilot (or two) VS some "sith" would be a bit different... Might not be too bad if there was a small plot to the fight... something leading in... I suggest a fight over a Klondike bar...

3. DaleSabers

DaleSabers Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 25, 2006
    I can always help out too if it doesn;t conflict with my film classes. Count me in on any job you need because I've worked most of the jobs behind and in front of the camera.

4. Styrofoam_Guy

Styrofoam_Guy Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 28, 2003
    You can count me as interested in helping out.

I just got a 3CCD camera so I can help out in that area too if needed.

5. Spiderfan

Mar 9, 2004
    What camera is it Alex?

6. Connemara

Connemara Jedi Knight star 6

Nov 18, 2000
    I'm in for whatever is happenin while I'm in Toronto! :D

7. DaleSabers

Jun 25, 2006
    I can help provide some sabers and props as well as do some stunt coordination and acting. I also have various contacts to call upon for help with costumes.

8. Styrofoam_Guy

Jul 28, 2003
    Panasonic HDC-SD1

9. Spiderfan

Mar 9, 2004
    Interesting camera Alex. I will need to do more reading about it. This card based storage system intrigues me to be honest, though I am concerned about the weight of the camera (I have a similar issue with my own). Is it true HD or is it faux HD?

I have a buddy with a Panasonic DVX 100 that I am going to see about boring for the shoot or drafting him in as a camera guy. We may also be able to rig some kind of make shift steady cam system (no where near the pro level but it will do). It has a bit of heft to it to give steadier shots and the manual features are amazing...not to mention it can shoot in film-like 24P. The sad thing is that he doesn't have the Depth of Field adapter that would really push the image quality, but for a potentially 7 Min film I don't think it will be as much of an issue.

10. Styrofoam_Guy

Jul 28, 2003
    Yes the camera is a lot smaller then I thought which does have me concerned about hand held shots. I was thinking about a steady cam as well as a remote boom camera. I have not looked into how to control the camera direction while at the end of the boom.

The SD card storage had me intrigued as there would be no tape mechanism noise that might transfer onto the tape even though I would probably be using an external mic for these fanfilms.

I am not sure what you mean by true HD or faux HD

As for the fanfilm I was thinking maybe after episode 3 when the Jedi are hunted. We can have Jedi on the run and be hunted by bounty hunters and maybe Vader?

11. Spiderfan

Mar 9, 2004
    Well there are a lot of cameras out there that say they are HD but they are either really low res HD or really high res SD. Actual HD comes in really large files that either have to be so compressed that they lose any quality that would have made HD worth while, or they become so incredibly cumbersome for most non-linear editing systems to handle. At this point a lot of companies promise consumer level HD but its no where near the broadcast level that would be required for HD broadcasts.

As cool as it would be to Cut HD material I don't know anyone with the means right now.

The steady cam can be done by cannibalizing an old tripod. Take the legs off and leave the center pole that drops down where the neck is stored when not craned up. All you have to do is build some kind of counterweight at the bottom that is properly secured. My instructor did this with simple home gym equipment disc weights. With the camera mounted properly on the boot mount the camera operator holds the tripod pole and runs with the whole unit.

It takes some getting used to and some work to hold it steady...and its certainly not an expert device but its supposed to properly balance the system out.

I was also looking at some crane systems and am wondering about building something like that though that would take more work.

As for the plot I am thinking that if we stick to something simple it will eliminate a lot of problems. Thats why I suggested doing a duel for a choreography contest...they tend to be straight up fights, no dialogue or back story. There might be some additional effects and things thrown in but I think if we get to wrapped up in all the cool things we can do we might lose sight of the project. Essentially I am thinking the simpler the better and focus instead on stylizing the camera work, the editing, the effects, the costumes and most importantly...the fight...just make it look and feel as bad ass as possible. Thats just my two cents.

12. Spiderfan

Mar 9, 2004
    I have been watching some things on YouTube and am reminded of many of the same old tired cliches that are put into Fan Films. So while I don't wish to stifle anyone's creativity there are some distinct things I would prefer we avoid doing. Things like bad acting, bad make-up, lame opening crawls to a five minute film, things like a forest, like Duel of the Fates, like bad green-screen work, bad 3D object renders. Honestly if you look up some of the fights on YouTube you see the same old lame thing. I give people their due for trying this stuff, but a lot of it is superfluous and unnecesary, its often put in because it would look cool.

Honestly the biggest sin I see people making is going too big when they don't have the means. Keep it simple and expand from there.

Like this:Ryan Versus Dorkman 2
    Ok so this is the granddaddy of all fanfilms and there are things here I wouldn't expect any of us capable of doing. But honestly watch this and observe the minimalism of it and how simple it is. Its just two guys, lightsabers, some decent lighting and a camera crew. I would prefer to aim for this level of simplicity. Style and substance. Quality over quantity.

13. Styrofoam_Guy

Jul 28, 2003
    The camera I have has a new compression method (AVCHD) that is only now starting to be supported by the non-linear editing programs

14. grey_starr

Jan 22, 2004
    I just want to be an "actor" or background... so anything done is someone elses call...

as far as I can tell, Spiderfan IS the Director... Congrats Mr. Director! take charge, and lets get moving! ;)

I suggest, and these are just suggestions:
  15. Lets have a Pub Night, and do an Idea session... SOON!

16. get scripts and ideas in Spiderfans hands! (posted, e-mailed, handed to)

17. Pick the filming team... (From my experience, 2 cameras filming at the same time works best!)

18. Finalise the script and pick people for roles... (to everyone - you don't have to be on screen to have fun being there)

19. Location quest... but try not to be too picky! ALSO start rehearsing!!

20. I am excited about doing this... and the sooner we act on it the better...

21. Sirene

Sirene Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 25, 2005
    I would love to participate in this! Whatever you guys need me for. I have a bit of martial arts background, plus I have a couple sabers too.. and somewhat of a costume that is almost complete (jedi).

22. Connemara

Nov 18, 2000
    I'll be in Toronto the 29th-early morning on the 4th of March. I can't guarantee I could get together for a pub night planning session, but if it works out for that weekend, I will do my darndest to get there for it.

23. Styrofoam_Guy

Jul 28, 2003
    How is Saturday March 1st 2008 around 2pm for a meeting time?

24. grey_starr

Jan 22, 2004
    Should be okay... I'll need to research that day more and make arrangements etc etc... lol

25. Spiderfan

Mar 9, 2004
    I will see what's happening on my end around that time...I will try to have some kind of tentative script or at least an outline on paper.

26. Connemara

Nov 18, 2000
    I'll let ya know on that, Alex, as soon as I know for sure what's goin on. :)

27. DaleSabers

Jun 25, 2006
    yeah i won't be able to attend that meeting. I'm not living up in toronto till the end of march possibly. I will how ever be up there a few times in march so I can try for one of those times.

28. assetic

assetic Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 5, 2005

Hey, if you guys need an extra camera mine's available.
    I can be like Dan and be "background" too :)

29. Spiderfan

Mar 9, 2004
    Just wanted to update the progress here with the points from the meeting thread. This is roughly where we stand.

I am also open to input from people and am eager to hear back from others. So far I counting about four heads on this one and a slew of maybes.

30. grey_starr

Jan 22, 2004
    bumping so it wont go away!

31. Spiderfan

Mar 9, 2004
    Sadly I am a little burned out at the moment to be writing anything...but i am always open to ideas and suggestions.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.