main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

TPM Defense Force

Discussion in 'Archive: The Phantom Menace' started by Strilo , Mar 24, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. -_-_-_-_-_-

-_-_-_-_-_- Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 28, 2002
    As far as I'm concerned, consider both of yourselves casted. :cool:

2. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    OK first, casted is not a word. It's cast. And second, actors don't play anyone in documentaries. One films the real people.

3. SHB-JR

SHB-JR Jedi Master star 4

Aug 18, 2000
    Yes and I'm a real crusty old basher, with a whole lot of love to give.

Wait, that sounded wrong......

SHB JR

4. Darth-Stryphe

Darth-Stryphe Former Mod and City Rep star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2001
    Bashers: Only truly happy when unsatisfied.

I don't let people make unflattering generalizations about fans in the Sanctuary, I don't know why you think I would allow it here.

5. -_-_-_-_-_-

Apr 28, 2002
    OK first, casted is not a word. It's cast. And second, actors don't play anyone in documentaries. One films the real people.

Obviously someone has lost their sense of humor while gaining a PHD in 'Knowing Everything'.

6. Quixotic-Sith

Quixotic-Sith Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 22, 2001
    Obviously someone has lost their sense of humor while gaining a PHD in 'Knowing Everything'.

No I haven't.

7. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    And second, actors don't play anyone in documentaries. One films the real people.

Not true. Think about re-enactments for dramatic effect, used so well in Errol Morris' "The Thin Blue Line".

// on-topic and relevant to TPM

Rick McCallum loves you!

8. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Look, Quix... it's not always about you. Sometimes the accusations of being an arrogant opinionated **** mod are directed at me.

//thinks//

Wait is that a good thing? :confused:

9. Quixotic-Sith

Jun 22, 2001
    Heh. Welcome to the 'other' side of modding. ;)

10. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
  11. Darth-Stryphe

Apr 24, 2001
    Oh, no, it's still about Quix. I use him as my scapegoat all the time. ;)

12. Quixotic-Sith

Jun 22, 2001
    I use him as my scapegoat all the time.

Feh. Somebody had to set the gold standard.

//revokes Stryphe's colors.

13. LottDodd

LottDodd Jedi Master star 4

Oct 4, 2002
    I'm sorry about my over-generalising and "Basher Attacks"... I just feel I have to defend my love so much in the real world that it hurts that I have to do it here as well.

THe Negativity surrounding this film is dissproportional to any other single product in Media history. I believe the backlash is mainly because so many people wanted to see it fail... You throw the word "Sucks" around enough and by osmosis it leaks into the public conscious. Somehow "Brilliant" Gets bandied around with the Mediocre (at best) Spiderman and everyone loves it... Untill they forget all about it 2 months later.

14. AdamBertocci

Feb 3, 2002
    Time for a random TPMDF poll.

What do you like better about TPM?

(1) The ideas.
    The story as a whole, basically... the idea to present Anakin as an innocent child, born of the Force... the choice to start before Anakin was found, before Palpatine was in power, before the Sith showed up again, before Obi-Wan was even a Jedi... the characters we met... the designs... etc. etc.

(2) The execution.
    Acting, cinematography, dialogue, effects, all that.

(3) Comedy third option.

I vote for #1. I was awed at every turn by the bold direction Lucas started the SW saga off with. A well-planned, intelligent story, with many a surprise about the galaxy we thought we knew. While I did not feel the execution of those ideas lived up to that standard, the film nevertheless left me with many things to think about.

Rick McCallum loves you!

15. -_-_-_-_-_-

Apr 28, 2002
    I must go with option #1 as well.

16. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    WEEEEE!! Thanks, Dash :D
    To satisfy everyone, including strilo, I can be myself, sitting in a chair talking about this extravagantly, royally, imperialistically handsome documentary.

I'm with you on #1. Star Wars is great because of the ideas. They are the reason I watch it over and over. The execution is perfectly fine, but the story is really the core of all the fun.

17. LottDodd

Oct 4, 2002
    I'd Go for Number #2... I love the story and the main plot line... But Ever since I was a Kid, I've been more interested in the rest of the Star Wars Universe than I was on the main charectors on screen. TPM Expanded that Universe Exponentially... far more mind nuggets to play with.

18. anidanami124

anidanami124 Jedi Master star 6

Aug 24, 2002
    I can't pick just one so I have to go with one and two. I like the story of Anakin, Luke, Padme, Leia, Han, Obi-wan etc. I also like the look of all the movies. :)

19. Darth-Stryphe

Apr 24, 2001
    Feh. Somebody had to set the gold standard.

//revokes Stryphe's colors.

[face_devil] When last we met, I was just a VIP, now I am the moderator. 8-}

Oh, and answering Adam's question: I always go for comedic third option ;)

20. LottDodd

Oct 4, 2002
    I know I'm not supposed to lament this... but I do. In only 34 posts the "Bashers Sanctuary Thread" will overtake the TPM Defence Force. They are simply more prolific posters than we are... or they are more numerous.

21. AdamBertocci

Feb 3, 2002
    Hate to break it to ya but I think the BS has already passed the DF in terms of post #s if you count alll the threads going back.

They have at least, what, 20K posts in previous threads.

If it makes you feel any better, about half their current thread's posts have been made by the prolific Gusher-in-Residence, who enjoys a good discussion and doesn't have much of a life. :p

And if you only count posts that are about actually TPM, they have, what, six? :p

Rick McCallum loves you!

22. appleseed

appleseed Chosen One star 5

Dec 5, 2002
    LOL, maybe seven.

As for your poll Adam, I pick #1 but I think all three apply. As a fan of slapstick, I actually find JJB's antics amusing. He reminds me of Joe Besser in a way.

23. -_-_-_-_-_-

Apr 28, 2002
    The number of posts that the Sanctuary has in comparison to the DF, or the number of times the thread has been started over is pointless. These factors do not make their opinion of TPM and the PT in general anymore valuble than ours.

24. royalguard96

royalguard96 Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 13, 2001
    I think Lucas' biggest challenge in TPM was deciding where to start the story. All the other decisions hinged on this one, and I thought it was a perfect introductary place for the Jedi, Padmé, Anakin and the rest. You can't start the story when the characters are too well-developed, or they will all be more static than not. You also can't start it too early because you skim over the small details that are why we love the films so much.

I think the biggest strength of the execution of TPM was the editing. It seemed flawless to me, one area where I think TPM trumps AOTC. The flow is so easy and natural. I wonder why Paul Hirsch wasn't brought back for AOTC.

25. LottDodd

Oct 4, 2002
    My opininon isn't influenced by the numbers... I've felt the whole world has been against me on this subject since 1999. But I think it is sad that even here it gets no respite...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.