main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

TPM Defense Force

Discussion in 'Archive: The Phantom Menace' started by Strilo , Mar 24, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    I think the editing in AOTC was just as great as that of TPM. The issue here is the music editing, I believe. The musical edits were so jarring in so many places that they make it SEEM as if the film itself is editing badly. I don't believe this is the case. I hope John Williams is able to go back and rescore these nightmare edits and the TPM remix score during the battle of Geonosis.

2. appleseed

appleseed Chosen One star 5

Dec 5, 2002
    There were a lot of dialogue cuts that hurt AOTC, though. Just a few lines here and there that they left on the cutting room floor would have made it that much better. And the score definately has got to be fixed and I think it definately will.

As far as TPM goes, it seems to me like it was edited almost perfectly. It also seems to have more action then AOTC does, but maybe that's just me.

3. Darth_Fless

Darth_Fless Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 9, 2003
    Regarding the poll, #1.

Even though I was lost when I first saw TPM because it different than the OT (no Empire, no Rebellion, what the heck is a Trade Federation?! and why are they invading Naboo?!), I have come around to my senses and have an understanding of what was really going on - that's when I really started to love TPM.

4. appleseed

Dec 5, 2002
    Yeah-I thought TPM was really fun the first few times I saw it, but in the years since, the story and the world (galaxy) it's set in has become much more familiar to me.

5. royalguard96

royalguard96 Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 13, 2001
    Coruscant still blows me away, the way it's seen in TPM. So grand, so representative of the glory of the old Republic.

6. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Well I just watched TPM for the first time in a long time. Boy it's such a great film. Exciting, fun and very Star Wars. I forgot how much I love Ewan and Liam. They are just GREAT as the two representatives of the Jedi Order. The film is so richly shot, full of color and nicely edited. It never ceases to amaze me how jammed full of detail and life the various worlds are. Mos Espa is such a cool Tatooine bustling spaceport. Naboo is just so "a more civilized age"... I love the ship designs, the buildings, the cultures and the planet itself. The whole Gungan/Naboo thing is so interesting to me. Otoh Gunga still gives me that wow feeling when you first see it. It's so beautiful.

Man what a fun and great Star Wars film!!

7. royalguard96

Aug 13, 2001
    So strilo, are you saying you [i[liked[/i] the film? I just want to be clear on that. 8-}

That shot of Otoh Gunga really took my breath away when I first saw it. The images, combined with John Williams' brilliant score, made it a goosebump moment, no question.

8. -_-_-_-_-_-

-_-_-_-_-_- Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 28, 2002
    Honestly, I believe TPM's most commonly overlooked element is its strongest, the editing. The flow from scene to scene is flawless and the story benefits enormously from it.

9. Darth-Stryphe

Darth-Stryphe Former Mod and City Rep star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2001
    So strilo, are you saying you liked the film? I just want to be clear on that.

I think what he's saying is that he's partial to the film, though I could be misreading him. ;)

10. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    I have my issues with TPM but it was quite easy for me to set them aside and enjoy the film. It is not NEARLY so easy for me to do that with ROTJ...

11. anidanami124

anidanami124 Jedi Master star 6

Aug 24, 2002
    I put both PT above ROTJ. Yes I like ROTJ. But I like the battle of Endor. I can do with out the Jabba scenes. But still I do like to watch it. :)

12. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Yeah the Jabba sequence is just about useless...

13. dehrian

dehrian Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 18, 1999
    I recently rewatched both TPM and AOTC, and I've gotta say that TPM is now up there with the OT for me. I thoroughly enjoyed watching it.

AOTC, on the other hand, I'm developing problems with, but that's another forum.

14. royalguard96

Aug 13, 2001
    dehrian's post prompts this question:

Why do you guys think an individual's opinion of a movie changes over months/years after it's viewed for the first time.

I think this "revisionist history" has hurt TPM's standing in the public's consciousness. I mean, the movie didn't change, did it? Some people's perception of it did.

For me, when it comes to the SW films, my enjoyment of them only grows over time. I notice subtle things in the background, or something about an actor's performance that gives me a greater overall enjoyment of the film.

15. appleseed

Dec 5, 2002
    It's hard to say why people's perceptions of movies change. In the case of SW movies, it may be the next movie in the series changes the way you look at the last one. I know it's certainly been that way for me-although it's been for the better. I guess in some cases, it could be for the worse. Plus, external influences definately cause people to change their minds concerning movies like TPM. A great many people who saw it and were greatly entertained in 1999 when SW could do no wrong blast it now because hating SW in popular now. But the opinions of people like that aren't even worth considering in any sort of serious discussion, IMO.

16. dehrian

dehrian Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 18, 1999
    My opinion on all the films has changed over time.

'80: Loved ANH, but hated ESB. Thought it was too dark, bleak, and depressing. 1) ANH; 2) ESB

'83: Loved ROTJ, and it was probably my favorite movie at that time. Still hated ESB. 1) ROTJ; 2) ANH; 3) ESB

'91: Got a laser disc player and rediscovered the movies. Couldn't figure out why I liked ROTJ so much, and fell in love with ESB. 1) ESB; 2) ANH; 3) ROTJ

'99: TPM came out. Wasn't what I'd been expecting for the last sixteen years. 1) ESB; 2) ANH; 3) ROTJ; 4) TPM

'02: Thought AOTC was damn good. 1) ESB; 2) AOTC; 3) ANH; 4) ROTJ; 5) TPM

'04: Revisited the PT. Revision in opinions of both films. 1) ESB; 2) ANH; 3) TPM; 4) ROTJ; 5) AOTC

17. anidanami124

anidanami124 Jedi Master star 6

Aug 24, 2002
    Yeah the Jabba sequence is just about useless...

Yeah I mean I will watch that sequence. Only because I don't watnt to just watch half a movie. But that does not maen I have to like it. ;) But still the battle of Endor is great I think. I hope to see something just as good as that battle in Ep3. :)

As for change minds. Well I would not say I ever have. ESB has always been number one until AOTC came out. ANH was number two know it is three. TPM is was three know it is four. and ROTJ has always been at the bottom of my list.

Here's how it went:

1) TESB
    2) ANH
    3) ROTJ

Add in TPM:

1) TESB
    2) ANH
    3) TPM
    4) ROTJ

Then add in AOTC:

1) AOTC
    2) TESB
    3) ANH
    4) TPM
    5) ROTJ

Once EP3 comes out ROTJ will be number six that is a fact. ;)

18. -_-_-_-_-_-

-_-_-_-_-_- Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 28, 2002
    Why do you guys think an individual's opinion of a movie changes over months/years after it's viewed for the first time.

I think this has alot to do with media and peer influence. After you hear something is supposedly horrible for so long, it begins to gradually seep into your subconsciousness.

19. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    I think dehrian's initial tracking might have to do with his age. Adding in the year you were born (about '73 if the profile is any indication) might explain a thing or two.

Rick McCallum loves you!

20. Darth-Stryphe

Darth-Stryphe Former Mod and City Rep star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2001
    So why did AOTC get knocked down to 5, dehrian? Did you find it lacking in the rewatchablity department?

21. DarthBane93

DarthBane93 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 11, 1999
    TPM is a great movie. AOTC was the real letdown for me.

22. DarthBane93

DarthBane93 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 11, 1999
    "Why do you guys think an individual's opinion of a movie changes over months/years after it's viewed for the first time.

I think this has alot to do with media and peer influence. After you hear something is supposedly horrible for so long, it begins to gradually seep into your subconsciousness."

Booya!

23. LottDodd

LottDodd Jedi Master star 4

Oct 4, 2002
    I lve the Jabba sequence... endor bores me to tears though...

24. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    I think this has alot to do with media and peer influence. After you hear something is supposedly horrible for so long, it begins to gradually seep into your subconsciousness.

I disagree. First of all this only addresses liking a film LESS over time. What makes one like a film MORE? I think it has a lot to do with where one is in life at a given time. Everything around is an influencing factor. Personal experiences play a huge role. A film that deeply affected me at one point might not affect me so much later. Or a film that only mildly affected me might really jump out at me later.

25. appleseed

Dec 5, 2002
    Let's see, I of course loved ANH when it first came out, then once ESB came out, I liked it better. ROTJ was slighty dissapointing to me when I was a kid, not really because of the Ewoks, but because I wanted Luke to beat Palpatine and felt cheated when Vader did it. I was just way to young to understand the themes of ROTJ in 1983. I was just 14. So as a kid I had the probably typical opinion of:

1) ESB
    2) ANH
    3) ROTJ

Then over they years, as I matured and as I grew to appreciate life more, and as I also grew to appreciate my parents more (remember, I first saw ROTJ at the know-it-all age of 14), I came to understand the relationships and the emotion of the scenes on Death Star II in ROTJ more, and it became my favorite of the series. So at around 1990 up to the time TPM came out, my preference had more of less become:

1)ROTJ
    2)ESB
    3)ANH

After TPM came out, I was really astounded by how amazing it looked, how cool it was to finally see the Jedi, and of course I couldn't get enough of the Podrace and the Duel of the Fates. So at that time, my preference became:

1)ROTJ
    2)TPM
    3)ESB
    4)ANH

Then, AOTC was released, and it just completely blew my mind. It was the SW movie I had been waiting all my life to see. 2 years later, and it's still my favorite in the series. Anticipation for Episode III and good ol' nostalga has made me reevaluate the OT, and I now consider ANH to be my favorite of the OT. Of course, I love all the SW movies, so to rank them doesn't mean I don't think they're all great. But I rank 'em now:

1)AOTC
    2)ANH
    3)ROTJ
    4)TPM
    5)ESB

So lots of things change how much you like (or love) these movies-for me it's been maturing, my marriage, and anticipation of Episode III.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.