main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

TPM Defense Force

Discussion in 'Archive: The Phantom Menace' started by Strilo , Mar 24, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. -_-_-_-_-_-

-_-_-_-_-_- Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 28, 2002
    My feelings torward the PT, namely TPM will not change. I feel they are good films overall with a number of flaws. The forum enviroment has become counter-productive for discussion/debate and more torwards negativity IMO, something I wish to distance myself from. I would consider this a leave of absence more so than a final farewell. I will be lurking and post my thoughts when I feel they should be expressed.

Keep up the good fight and always have an open mind, in doing so you may find a greater appreciation for your own views.

2. Jedi_Learner

Jedi_Learner Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 10, 2002
    I felt like you long ago but you'll come back a former shadow of yourself and revel in the negative posts. 8-}

3. Quixotic-Sith

Quixotic-Sith Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 22, 2001
  4. anidanami124

anidanami124 Jedi Master star 6

Aug 24, 2002
    Don't leave Dash. It won't be the same with out you.

5. KosmicKnine

KosmicKnine Jedi Padawan star 4

May 31, 2002
    Dash, do you really need to resign your possition in the DF in order to take a bit of a break from posting and engage your Lurking Device?

I know over the past several months I haven't posted much here on the boards here at TF.N out of just not feeling I had much to contribute at this time. I chose to lurk instead for a while, taking notice of only certain threads and posting little. But I wouldn't resign my position in the Defence Force because even if I opt to go for a time without posting regularly, I still stand for seeing greatness in The Phantom Menace.

Of course, if you remain in your resignation, I'll still look forward to reading any posts you might make in the future when you delurk for moments whenever I encounter them. There are many on these boards I'm not too keen to read posts from, you are not such a person.

6. openmind

openmind Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    Dash, not harping on you, but I think anyone who feels GL is well in control of the Story, will never have to feel anything about the negativity. By Ep. III things will be much clearer and some less enthusiastic SW fans who find the prequels disappointing will come back.

We should all keep up the good fight together. Anyway you take care. :)

7. Zoe

Zoe Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 22, 2003
    "...Jar Jar found himself chased incessantly by a very horny Darth. Little Darth constantly humped Jar Jar..."

Thanks Quix. Thats exactly what I want to read while eating breakfast.

8. Quixotic-Sith

Quixotic-Sith Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 22, 2001
    Here to serve, Zoe my love. :D

9. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    [face_laugh] That quote is classic!

Dash: :_| Captain, my captain!
    You're always welcome back :)

10. vacantlook

vacantlook Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 28, 2004
    And now, for a "Reason Why I Love The Phantom Menace."

[image=http://www.theforce.net/multimedia/archive/Images/Episode_1/Characters/Padme_Amidala/004.jpg]

For me, this scene with Amidala looking out of the window perfectly expresses the sadness that Leia describes knowing of her mother in ROTJ. Knowing how young Queen Amidala is and the problems she's wrestling with in her mind, I love Natalie Portman's performance in this scene; I think she captures the character exceptionally well.

And then, bring in Jar Jar Binks. Most of the movie, Jar Jar spends playing the clown; he bumbles about providing a multitude of laughs. But in this scene, he shows greater depth to his character when he comes up beside Amidala and looks out the window with her. The two of them -- she: the highest positioned person in her society; he: exiled from his people -- come together here in this scene. There had been connections made earlier in the movie, but it is in this scene that the two characters make a major connection. With one of the main themes of The Phantom Menace being symbiosis, this scene further develops and explores that theme. It is here that Binks, rather subconsciously, and Amidala, through listening to Binks talk, state that their two peoples are connected. And in that instant, Amidala begins to see the plan that will save not her planet but their planet.

This is definitely one of my favorite scenes in The Phantom Menace.

11. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    The pic matches your icon. Tee-hee.

Rick McCallum loves you!

12. -_-_-_-_-_-

-_-_-_-_-_- Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 28, 2002
    Not only is he funny, but observant.

Adam Bertocci, double threat guy! :cool:

13. vacantlook

Mar 28, 2004
    The pic matches your icon. Tee-hee.

Indeed!

:D

Not only is he funny, but observant.

Even further indeed!

:D

14. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    That's a wonderful analysis of that scene, vacantlook. Very insightful!
    Aah, I love TPM :)

15. Darth_Meul

Darth_Meul Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 4, 2004
    That's the same thing I got out of that scene, vacantlook! Truely wonderful!

16. LottDodd

LottDodd Jedi Master star 4

Oct 4, 2002
    I Love every moment on COurascant... It is so Majestic, and I Love all the perfomances there. I don't think Terrence Stamp Gets Enough Credit for Vallorum, I love his scenes.

17. vacantlook

Mar 28, 2004
    I really liked Valorum's character. I wish Stamp hadn't disliked filming TPM so much; it would have been cool to see him in AOTC and/or Ep III.

18. Darth-Stryphe

Darth-Stryphe Former Mod and City Rep star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2001
    Does anyone know what GL had planned for Valorum in AOTC?

19. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    I don't know if there was anything planned for Valorum in AOTC or Episode III.

Honestly, there was very little for him to do. His entire job in TPM was to get removed. He doesn't even show up in the EU much.

If Valorum was to show up any more in the movies... I dunno, maybe one scene in AOTC? Maybe.

But I doubt it.

I mean, after Richard Nixon left office, did he still hang out in Washington and visit the White House every couple of months just to see what everyone was up to?

Rick McCallum loves you!

20. openmind

openmind Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    I liked Valorum better when he was Superman's nemesis 8-} ;)

21. The_SAGA

The_SAGA Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 16, 2004
    I'd like to be on the defense force.

TPM has its flaws, like all the SW movies, but overall its a good film and hugely underappreciated.

BTW, is it true what I saw a while back about TPM getting a "full overhaul" or something like that?

That had me excited. TPM is a couple changes away from being really great I think

22. Darth-Stryphe

Darth-Stryphe Former Mod and City Rep star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2001
    My understanding is that he was invited back for a role in AOTC.

23. Darth_Fless

Darth_Fless Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 9, 2003
    I had not heard anything about an overhaul for TPM.
    What did you hear, SAGA?

24. LottDodd

LottDodd Jedi Master star 4

Oct 4, 2002
    I could have seen him reapearing in III, with Mothma and Bail and the like in a covert meating... but I don't think that its likely. And it is unfortunate... there ar no small rolls, only small actors.

25. vacantlook

Mar 28, 2004
    Without knowing what GL would have scripted Valorum to do in AOTC, I'd have to say it would seem more likely storywise for his character to pop back up in EpIII than in AOTC.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.