main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Tracking Imposters on the Invisible Hand...

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by ChewieHadBotox, Dec 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ChewieHadBotox

ChewieHadBotox Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 24, 2005
    So Grievous and his crew were able to track the Jedi on the Invisible Hand and they knew what corridors they were in and stuff. Was this a lost technology in the OT? Why couldn't the Empire track Luke and the gang and trap them in ray shields on the Death Star? Was the technology lost when the Invisible Hand was destroyed?

2. yoshifett

yoshifett Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 17, 2004
    Hmmm...good point. I wonder if a lot of technology got lost during the reign of the Empire...[face_thinking]

3. lrdmonarch

lrdmonarch Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 14, 2001
    "Are they away? I'm taking an aweful risk Vader. This had better work." - Tarkin

They let them get away. They couldn't track them before rescuing the princess because they didn't know anyone but Kenobi was there to get her.

4. yoshifett

Apr 17, 2004
    So are you saying that the Empire did have ray shields? I don't know if we've seen any evidence of that.

5. ChewieHadBotox

Feb 24, 2005
    But the bumbling stormtroopers are running around like they're chasing a bunch of Thomas Crownes in bowler hats. "We think they may be splitting up, they may be on levels 5 and 6 now, sir."

I think Grievous was a much smarter foe than Tarkin.

6. lrdmonarch

Dec 14, 2001
    "The shaft is ray shielded so you will have to use Proton torpedoes." - General Dodonna.

7. yoshifett

Apr 17, 2004
    Grievous smarter than Tarkin!?!?

Well, if someone had told Grievous to evacuate the Death Star, he would have been out of there...he likes to run. That would have been smart. Tarkin blew up.

8. lrdmonarch

Dec 14, 2001

I don't have any explanation for that. :D

9. ChewieHadBotox

Feb 24, 2005
    But that was on the outside, in space. The indoor ray shields are different, aren't they? You can see them indoors, but in space they are invisible.

10. lrdmonarch

Dec 14, 2001
    Well since the indoor versions were not really invented until Episode III, I can't tell you if they actually had those, but they did have ray shields. But the only chance we could have seen them used again was on the first Death Star.

11. yoshifett

Apr 17, 2004
    But Episode IV takes place AFTER episode III. I think the poster is looking for an in-universe answer.

12. ChewieHadBotox

Feb 24, 2005
    I think because Anakin didn't know how to fly the ship right and ordered Obi-Wan to open too many flaps the ship crashed and all the technology was lost. Anakin got too cocky and destroyed the ship and it's ironic because he didn't have indoor ray shield technology on the Death Star.

13. yoshifett

Apr 17, 2004
    CHB, that's a very...interesting...theory.

14. thechozn1

thechozn1 Jedi Master star 4

May 15, 2005

That's so crazy... it just might work.

15. Count-Tyranus

Count-Tyranus Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 7, 2005
    Technology is often lost in war. It goes to show that the IH was probably the CIS' most advanced ship.

Also it doesn't necessarily follow that Imperial technology is better than many of their constituent planets. There is standard Imperial technology than individual planetary technology.

16. PhotoGuitarist

PhotoGuitarist Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 28, 2002
    To me that was more of a Star Trek TNG style technology than a Star Wars Tech.

17. TheCRZA

TheCRZA Jedi Padawan star 4

May 29, 2005
    Well, if someone had told Grievous to evacuate the Death Star, he would have been out of there...he likes to run. That would have been smart. Tarkin blew up.

I think the interaction with Grievous would have gone something like so:

"General, we've analyzed their attack, sir, and there is a danger.
    Should I have your ship stan -- " Looks around. "Uh, General Grievous?"

18. lrdmonarch

Dec 14, 2001
    Perhaps the decision to let them escape was hatched when Tarkin was told they had rescued the princess. So you don't use the ray shields on someone you decided to let escape.

19. TheCRZA

TheCRZA Jedi Padawan star 4

May 29, 2005
    Then what are the barrier fields in the docking bays aboard the ships
    if they aren't ray shields?

20. voodoopuuduu

voodoopuuduu Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 22, 2004
    So Grievous and his crew were able to track the Jedi on the Invisible Hand and they knew what corridors they were in and stuff. Was this a lost technology in the OT? Why couldn't the Empire track Luke and the gang and trap them in ray shields on the Death Star? Was the technology lost when the Invisible Hand was destroyed?

On the Invisible Hand, the only life forms aboard were Palps, Dooku and the Nemoidians in the cockpit. They knew were they were, Dookus dead and Palps escaped. Then by process of elimination, they knew the life forms running down the halls were Palps and the Jedi. On the Deathstar, it was full of life forms, clones and others, not droids. It was impossible to distinguish Luke, Leia and Han.

21. yoshifett

Apr 17, 2004
    LOL LOL LOL!

22. Get_in_Gear

Get_in_Gear Jedi Youngling star 5

Nov 29, 2004
    I think the point is that the galaxy went to **** once the Emperor's rule set in.

When a dictator settles in, he takes control of everything that was great about the freedom and democracy which precedes him, and makes it his own.

Twenty-odd years down the line, he has stifled all creativity and industry.
    All the craftsmen and skilled cultures just aren't getting the support, finances and freedom to make all these cool things like ray shielded corridors and disappearing speeder canopies and so on, because the Empire is channeling all of that wealth and prosperity into its greedy fat self.

Eventually, even the Empire's technology suffers, becuase they oppressed a generation of pioneers and craftsmen.
    Its a commentary on all dictatorship and oppressive regimes.
    By the OT, everything is all beaten up and a bit crappy.
    The Empire has all the best stuff, but even that is a bit outdated...

23. TopSpeeD

TopSpeeD Jedi Youngling star 2

May 20, 2005
    Well,The Death Star is much bigger than the Invisible Hand..maybe they couldnt install ray shields in all the lvls..
    just my guess

24. sithrules70

sithrules70 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 28, 2005
    good one master crza [face_laugh]

25. dude4c

dude4c Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 3, 2003
    this sounds right. the objective of the empire in this film is to find the reble hidden base and get the plans back. letting them go to be tracked makes sense and could very well be the reason they were allowed to escape.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.