main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Artist Trak's Stuff - Updated 11/17

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by TrakNar, Apr 22, 2011.

1. Tarsier

Tarsier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 31, 2005
    I love the scarab! I've always thought scarabs are really interesting insects.

2. Corellian_Outrider

Corellian_Outrider Former FanForce Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 9, 2002
    I am loving your latest sketches, I've been meaning to comment sooner. :)

You've really captured the soul of Billy Dee with Lando's expression. It is also great seeing the story progression through your sketches and painting for your Dear Diary challenge.

3. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Fabulous! Your shading technique is incredible :)

4. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    Thanks. I refuse to post my old Lando sketches as they just weren't smooth and sexy enough. :p

Anywho, just one new sketch this time. Another first:

[image=http://img3.imageshack.us/img3/6753/plokoonsketch.jpg]

And a first in a new sketchbook with new paper with a rougher texture. I'm getting used to the new texture, but I prefer a smoother finish, as it holds graphite much better and doesn't smear as easily.

XJapanRoX likes this.
  5. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    Great sketch and details and pose

6. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    That is 'Plo Kool'! I love the detailing you've put into Master Plo's face and form.

7. AzureAngel2

AzureAngel2 Chosen One star 6

Jun 14, 2005
    I love the clarity and distinction of your lines.

[:D]

8. jacktherack

jacktherack Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2008
    really great drawings, i just looked through the thread and i am really impressed. i am not good at drawing but i love to do it. some people are naturally gifted, for example i remember going to the minnesota state fair and seeing the art exibit from students. one of the fourth graders drew a lion and it was absolutely astounding. heck most of the 2nd graders stuff was better then mine.

9. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Thanks. I'm mostly self-taught with perhaps a few school classes here and there (the usual art classes in school), but no actual formal training. Though, I would really like to some day take a proper figure drawing class, as I need to see how muscle groups move. Just having anatomy books and other nude references aren't enough, I need to see a body in motion.

During the forum downtime, I'll see how much I can pack into my sketchbook for a sizable update when everything is all said and done. I'd like to paint some more, but I haven't yet gotten my drafting table to my new place yet, and my computer desk is the kitchen table until I move my actual desk here, too. My art books are also still packed away. This week, I'm gonna attempt to get them, my comics, and some more boxes of stuff, along with my drafting table that needs a chair.

Here's hoping my thread transfers smoothly.

10. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    May as well resurrect this, while I try to figure out how to edit the title. While I go figure that out, have some sketches.

[​IMG]

Kyp Durron.

[​IMG]

Leia with Amazonian proportions.

[​IMG]

Repost from the temp boards.

11. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    Lovely sketches and with the contrast of the tones and I see you have done Kyp too! I know someone who would love to see that.

To edit the title, edit the first post and go to 'more options...' from there you can rename the thread title... that should work.

Adalia-Durron likes this.
  12. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    I figured it out not long after I had posted the images.

As for Kyp... he's just practice. I was looking for some character models for him and settled on using the two stars of Supernatural, with some modifications. Ditched the chin cleft and combined their features and viola! Kyp!

13. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    I'm glad we got that feature working.

For Kyp, for a moment I thought it looked similar to Taylor Kitsch from... well... he did Gambit and John Carter. I do that with some characters too, creating hybrids of facial structures to achieve the look. It's looking great. :)

14. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Great drawings! Your sketches are always so clean and crisp.

And I love what you did with Kyp. That's the exact same method I use when creating new characters. I like to 'splice' likenesses together in Photoshop and come up with someone totally different. It's actually a lot of fun too! :D

15. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Well, Photoshop comes into play after I scan my sketches. I remove all my blue sketching, tweak the linework, and clean everything up. Straight from my sketchbook, they're not as clean. :p

16. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    Love to see them here

17. XJapanRoX

XJapanRoX Official Star Wars Artist star 2 VIP

Dec 5, 2004
    Awesome work! Love the Plo and Slave Leia ones from this page especially. Very cool.

18. Adalia-Durron

Adalia-Durron WNU/Costume/Props/EUC Mod. star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jun 3, 2003
    [​IMG] You mean this??????? :D

Lovely work there Trak!! Keep it coming! :D :D [face_batting]

Corellian_Outrider likes this.
  19. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    Well... yeah :p

20. AzureAngel2

AzureAngel2 Chosen One star 6

Jun 14, 2005
    You do a wonderful Kyp Durron. Please let Ceillean know! Might give her new inspiration for more wonderful fanfics.

:D

21. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Note to self: Gather and print a few images of Taylor Kitsch, as he is going to be my Kyp model from now on.

In the meantime... here's a few lighting tests.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have one more lighting test to do before I start on a painting. Judging by what I have so far, I think you can guess what direction that painting will be heading... ;)

22. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    Interesting tests. Zuckuss?

23. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    I'd say these are some pretty successful tests! I love pieces with dramatic lighting like this. I'm not sure if you're familiar with Tim Proctor's work, but these remind me a lot of some of his stuff.

As for the upcoming painting...is it bounty hunters? :D

24. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Just finished his lighting test.

[​IMG]

You would be right. XD And the mockup will tell the rest of what I have planned if the lighting tests didn't.

[​IMG]

earlybird-obi-wan likes this.
  25. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    Like to see the development