main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Traveling Vader

Discussion in 'Archive: Boston, MA' started by Pellaeon69187, Sep 10, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. starwarschick14

starwarschick14 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 19, 2002
    Yes, smilies are helpful. :) And yeah, I know it's kind of a joke to refer to our status as being anywhere near on schedule. ;)

Seriously though, I'm very grateful to London and Toronto for being so efficient with Vader. I know it's not easy to plan the photo shoots when you have no idea when Vader is going to arrive, and they were left in that not-knowing situation for weeks while the postal service did who knows what with him. I bring this up because I recall one particularly unpleasant individual I had to deal with many stops back in the tour who criticized our group for having totally unrealistic expectations of their group by imposing such a short time limit. This person was really rude and mean, and I never received an apology. Since then though, groups like London, Toronto, and several others have had no problems whatsoever planning ahead and getting things done on time, and sometimes even early! The good experiences help make the bad ones less memorable. Thankfully there have been far more pleasant people involved with this than the unpleasant. :)

2. grey_starr

grey_starr Jedi Master star 4

Jan 22, 2004
    Hey hey...

I made the exchange on Thursday, Dec 30th... to BobaChris12 of Buffalo...

[image=http://grey-starr.ca/StarWars/YJN-TLL/Vader_Tour/2004-12-30_Vader-06-Buffalo.jpg]

I did stop in St. Cats for the YJN... but since no one was available, I just posed Vader alone in the one spot I knew in town... Near the school we met for the Parade there... People driving by actually waved to me and Vader...

[image=http://grey-starr.ca/StarWars/YJN-TLL/Vader_Tour/2004-12-30_Vader-01.jpg] [image=http://grey-starr.ca/StarWars/YJN-TLL/Vader_Tour/2004-12-30_Vader-03.jpg] [image=http://grey-starr.ca/StarWars/YJN-TLL/Vader_Tour/2004-12-30_Vader-05.jpg]

It's just too bad the wind wasn't blowing, so the Canadian flag could be seen better... ah well... I tried...

His tour is almost done!

3. hchristensenfan

hchristensenfan Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 24, 2003
    Cool Pictures! :)

4. grey_starr

grey_starr Jedi Master star 4

Jan 22, 2004
    Here's a link to some great shots of the Toronto group hanging out with Vader... Vader in Toronto...

5. hchristensenfan

Jul 24, 2003
    Nice Pictures. :)

6. starwarschick14

Feb 19, 2002
    Right now Vader is either in or still on his way to Rochester. Next is Syracuse, then Providence, then he's home! :)

And now unfortunately, on to a bit of unpleasantness. Most of you need not worry about it, I'm just posting it in all the Vader threads so that certain parties will have ample opportunity to spot this post and read it.

I have an important clarification to make about a couple of things regarding the tour. Please read carefully, and please PM me if you have any questions. The content of this update has resulted in very unfair and blatant flaming and bashing of my FanForce recently, and I would rather people bring their problems to me so I can try to resolve these misunderstandings and problems on a more personal basis. If you cannot respect that request, I ask that you please not post at all.

First, I want to again clarify why we cannot grant any requests to be added to the tour at this time. Since the tour began there have been numerous delays. Many irresponsible individuals delayed the tour to the point where we had to cut the international portion completely, and deny any further add requests. From the beginning it was Boston's intention to get Vader back in time for C3 and ROTS. We have put a lot of work into coordinating this tour, and we regret that certain individuals have ruined it for others. The tour has certainly been a learning experience.

At this point in time, it has not been decided if the tour will continue after Episode III. It's difficult for those outside the coordinating efforts of the tour to understand how many negative experiences we've had and how they impact our feelings on the success of the tour. We are however very thankful for those of you who have acted appropriately and will keep all the positive experiences in mind as well. A decision will be made at some point in the future, and rest assured it will be posted in all Vader threads like this announcement.

Secondly, it was recently posted in another forum that a FanForce member (outside of Boston) some time ago proposed an idea to add to the Vader tour. The individual offered another Vader to travel to a new list of FanForces, dubbed "Stunt Vader", to include more people in on the fun. After discussion, we in Boston turned down the idea. The revelation of this idea and our decision resulted in some comments I took extremely personally. Boston was accused of not knowing how to share, being greedy, and only looking for recognition. As the current leader of my FanForce, I took offense to these comments, as did many others.

For those of you whose initial response to the situation is similar, I ask you to please consider this from our point of view. We have put so much work into the tour because we want to bring FanForce together. We could have gotten into the Insider long, long ago, but that was never our primary objective, and we haven't taken those steps. Sure, we like promoting our FanForce along with the tour, but that's something that you all do with your own groups in all of your charitable activities. We turned down the idea because we feel it takes away from the uniqueness of the original Vader. The whole point of the tour was to have one Vader visiting different FanForces. When you turn one into two, it's just not the same. You may not see it that way, but we ask that you respect our opinion on the matter.

We constantly encourage groups to collaborate on the tour so that those that weren't initially included may have a chance to participate. Now that the tour is nearing the end of its first run, many groups face the possibility of never being able to get Vader if we decide to end the tour completely. Instead of looking on that so negatively and angrily, why can't all of you use it as motivation and inspiration to come up with your own ideas to bring FanForce closer together? The Vader Tour was never intended to operate indefinitely, and there will always be new FanForces forming. So, no matter when the tour ends, there will always be someone left out. But if more FanForces

7. Jedi_Outcast77

Jedi_Outcast77 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 10, 2003
    It's really a shame that some people are really trying to drag this whole thing down just because they didn't get in on the tour during it's planning stage. It's been interesting to see Lord Vader going from city to city and collecting a few good stories along the way, but I'm sure his owner (who was very gracious in volunteering him in the first place) would like him back.

On top of that, if people in other FF groups want to do something to reach out to other groups they should put their heads together as you guys did and think of something on their own rather than just copy what someone else is already doing.

I just hope this trouble doesn't put an end to this great idea, even if it changes a little and a different character is sent around next time, it would be nice to see the tour continue.

8. starwarschick14

Feb 19, 2002
    The person who proposed the "stunt Vader" idea was really only trying to help. It was never about "copying" or "stealing" the idea. However, it just defeated the point of sending one, and only one, Vader around the world.

I understand that it's disppointing to be left out of the tour, for whatever reason. But people are always going to be left out, no matter when the tour ends, so instead of turning that disappointment into anger and hatred and directing it at us, they should turn it into something positive. It's not like the Vader tour is the only possible way to bring FanForce together. There are a lot of creative people in all of FanForce that are perfectly capable of producing new ideas, even ideas that could be more feasible and successful than the Vader tour but with the same goal: to bring FanForce together. :)

9. Darth Dowe

Darth Dowe Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 23, 1999
    As soon as the tour was started, people bitched that they weren't on the list. Well, groups had almost a month to sign up. Trying to get in now is laughable. Like Roseanna said, the VWT was created to bring FanForce groups together on a global scale.

Shame on the groups who are raising a fuss now, here at the end. They should just suck it up and realize that the world doesn't look badly upon them because they didn't get in on a little FF project.

Like Outcast said, the "left-out" groups should put their heads together and come up with a new and better sequel to the VWT.

10. TK7771

TK7771 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 22, 2001
    Personally, They can all kiss my ass!!

This tour was the biggest disapointment. Started out as an awesome idea, but a few irresponsible people ruined it for everyone. I seriously doubt that the tour will continue once he gets home.

I have lost total faith in FF. I find it to polictical and clicky. To many people just looking out for themselves and not wanting to just have a good time. It's a shame really, With EPIII and C3 right around the corner. Could've been a great thing for FF. But now, I just don't know.

11. Jedi_Outcast77

Jedi_Outcast77 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 10, 2003
    The person who proposed the "stunt Vader" idea was really only trying to help. It was never about "copying" or "stealing" the idea.

I'm sure they were only trying to help, but a little originality can go a long way. For example, instead of sending a "stunt Vader" around the country they could have sent an Emperor Palpatine figure around instead. As if he were chasing down his apprentice to bring him back to the Death Star, or something like that.

If the Vader World Tour is not going to continue after Lord Vaders' return but there is still interest in giving the "World Tour" another shot, I've got a couple of ideas (along with some items to volunteer) to get things started.

12. Dark_Lady_Jada

Dark_Lady_Jada Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 7, 2004
    Boston was accused of not knowing how to share, being greedy, and only looking for recognition.

I think that TK7771 should be commended for his willingness to share his personal property.

I do know that at one point I was upset that Tucson had been removed from the list because our former CR had messed it up for us but then I realized the Vader was a part of someone's PERSONAL collection.

And anyone who has taken offense at how this has been run should realize that coordinating an effort like this is very hard work. It takes cooperation amongst many people. (I'm currently coordinating a worldwide tour of my daughter's teddy bear so I have a small inkling of what is involved ;) ).

Even though I didn't get to be a part of the tour, I would like to thank you all for this wonderful effort on behalf of the fan force. :)

13. TK7771

Jul 22, 2001
    Now, if these boards had more people on here like you. This would be an awesome place. But alas, it doesnt.

Thank you for your kind words, but I cant take all the credit. I've had some excellent help with the tour, and of course this wouldnt even have come to fruitation if it wasnt for Dave. It was his idea (well his uncles but he brought it to us).

14. Doc_Bev

Doc_Bev Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 28, 2003
    Rochester will be hosting Vader for a tour of the city tomorrow. We will then be bringing him to Syracuse with us for the Regional FF Dinner on Jan 30th. I'm hoping he'll get back to you guys well in time for CIII.

~Doc_Bev

15. Doc_Bev

Doc_Bev Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 28, 2003
    Here's a link to most of the pictures we took while we had Vader and as we passed him over to Syracuse. We had a lot of fun hosting Vader. Thanks you guys for doing this project.

~Doc_Bev

16. hchristensenfan

Jul 24, 2003
    Nice pictures! :)

17. Dex1138

Dex1138 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 8, 1999
    I hope Vader's heart is ok after that garbage plate!

18. hchristensenfan

Jul 24, 2003
    Fenway!!!! :) Home of the World Champs and our favorite baseball team...THE RED SOX!!!!

19. TK7771

Jul 22, 2001
    nevermind [face_blush]

20. Darth Dowe

Darth Dowe Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 23, 1999
    At least they thank us at the bottom. :)

21. TK7771

Jul 22, 2001
    oops didnt see that part [face_blush]

22. starwarschick14

Feb 19, 2002
    For some reason Syracuse hasn't sent Vader onto Providence yet. They're over 2 weeks late, and I'm rather annoyed. I'm having issues contacting people over there too. I'll post again as soon as I have something.

Just a short time ago I was all for doing this again...but I'm really fed up with it right now. It was a great idea but proved to be impractical because of loads of inconsiderate individuals.

23. T_StarFlyer

T_StarFlyer Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 2, 2004
    I've been trying to access the Traveling Vader site but it seems to have been down for a very long time. Any Idea when it will be up again?

We had a great time hosting Vader, I'm sorry it's turned into a bad experiance for all you folks but I just wanted to let you know We all had fun participating. Thanks for the opportunity.

[image=http://www.rochesterfandom.com/albums/album18/Im000085.sized.jpg]

24. JEDIMASTER6872

JEDIMASTER6872 Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 5, 2004
    So just where is LORD VADER now ??????????????????????

25. starwarschick14

Feb 19, 2002
    Sometimes the Vader site works, and sometimes it doesn't. I don't understand it myself. Hopefully the issue will be resolved soon.

Right now Vader is supposed to be on his way to me. That's assuming Strawbary did indeed send him off when she promised to. She never did get back to me with a tracking number, but I'll wait a few days to see if he shows up before pestering her anymore.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.