main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Oregon University of Oregon

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by goldbubbly, May 4, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goldbubbly

goldbubbly Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 5, 2002
    Hey, I'm thinking about this college, and I wanted to know if any of ya'll had any particular thoughts/feelings about it that would be useful for me to know?

thanx!
    goldy

2. goldbubbly

Jan 5, 2002
    well my dad is thinking about flying up there sometime this summer with me so that I can visit the campus/town etc. anyone from Eugene PM me please?

3. Jaya_Jedi

Jaya_Jedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 13, 2001
    well goldbubbly, I have been to UofO, but only to visit and tour around it, Im not really anywhere near picking colleges, so I don't have that much info on it, I'd like to help though sorry :(

4. TallChewie

TallChewie Jedi Youngling star 1

May 6, 2002
    Hi Goldbubbly! :)

My brother went there and he loved it. I went there for his graduation and it is a beautiful campus.

It's a long way from Houston, though. My parents live in Salem, OR and brother in Portland so I don't get to see them all that much... :(

5. Ye11a

Ye11a Jedi Youngling

May 21, 2002
    UO is a good school. A ton of my cousins, relatives went there. Unfortunately I dont live in Eugene (used to). Campus is nice, has an honors college for the academically inclined. Although once I need to apply, hopefully i can get into a good school on teh east coast.

6. goldbubbly

Jan 5, 2002
    Ah, thanx everyone. :) I've heard many good things about the place, and i really like what i've heard. Don't really want to head for the east coast ;) My dad and I will be flying out sometime this summer to visit the place. *crosses fingers* i think i can manage to convince the parents to let me go there too. :)

7. ImperialJedi

ImperialJedi Jedi Master star 3

Sep 23, 2001
    If it walks like a duck,
    if it talks like a duck,
    if it looks like a duck,
    it must be a duck.

Sorry, don't know much about UofO. I've only been their once for a field trip. I know more about OSU though. Good luck in collage shopping. I'm glad I don't have to do it for a couple more years.

-IJedi

8. goldbubbly

Jan 5, 2002
    the shopping is not near as difficult as persuading your parents to let you go to a college [face_plain]

9. LoyalJedi

LoyalJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 22, 2002
    I'm about 20 minutes away, so I've managed to learn a little something about it. It's an ok school depending on what you want to do. It has a great outdoors program, and the music and vocal departments are pretty good, and the campus is pretty nice. Also, I would recommend OSU, it's a pretty good school.

10. goldbubbly

Jan 5, 2002
    Well I found my way around and stumbled on the marching band page and from there the tbone line page and have started emailing one of the Trombone chicks that goes there. Yay me. I look forward to visiting the place.

11. RylaRainGirl

RylaRainGirl Jedi Youngling

Jun 6, 2002
    Depends on what major you are going for and where you are from... I commute to PSU everyday, and since my major isn't terribly specific PSU works just fine. :]

12. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    I live in north Eugene, and I've visited the campus a few times. It's a good-looking school, and if you choose to come here, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

13. Jaya_Jedi

Jaya_Jedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 13, 2001
    Ok, well I don't know any more than I did last time about the whole 'education' things there ;) but I was just at a camp there about a week ago, and I really liked the campus. The area was really pretty, as well as a lot of the buildings and reminded me a lot of the part of oregon I live in.

14. Bowen

Bowen Force Ghost star 5

Sep 6, 1999
    I'm going to OSU next year. I went to college already, down in LA, hated it, and I transferred to OSU with 18 credits, not much, hehe.

I'm taking 16 credits next term at OSU, mostly just core classes that hopefully will be super easy. I'll probably SU a lot of them too, just credit/no credit, so I don't have to waste too much of my time on college. ;) I got more important things to do anyway, but even with minimal effort I should be able to get mostly A's.

15. rafterman

rafterman Jedi Youngling star 1

May 27, 2002
    I wish I'd gone there...good place...

16. Darth_Stove

Darth_Stove Jedi Youngling star 3

May 2, 2002
    I LOVE the University of Oregon, I am a season ticket holder for the football games and its a great school. There is alot more to do around Eugene than there is in Corvallis (OSU)...better looking cheerleaders too :)

17. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    What part of Eugene are you from, Darth_Stove? I'm in the northern part of the city, right near Sheldon High School.

18. Darth_Stove

Darth_Stove Jedi Youngling star 3

May 2, 2002
    Hey, Im from Salem but attend the ducks games, im a season ticket holder. I dont know Eugene that well though. Can you tell me a way to the Walmart and/or Toys R Us coming from Autzen Stadium or the Albertsons on Coburg Road??? thanks

19. Bowen

Bowen Force Ghost star 5

Sep 6, 1999
    No, there really isn't anything more to do in Eugene than there is in Corvallis.

No offense, but I'm not a fan of any city/town in Oregon except for Portland. Lincoln City being absolutely the worst, trailer-trash place I can possibly imagine. Fun to visit for a day maybe, and we had a house down there in a private, gated community for about a decade and I loved it, but the town itself is awful. I'm a big city guy and if there isn't a major multiplex, an art house theater, and plenty of other various theaters that play sometimes different movies close to me, then it's just not worth living in whatsoever.

I wouldn't even be able to be a critic if we didn't have Portland in our state. I drive back every other weekend, or sometimes two weekends in a row, so I can catch the new releases because the Corvallis and Albany theaters do not even get them all.

In Corvallis, you hang out with your friends, you watch movies (DVDs, whatever), you go to parties, you go to class, you get wasted from time to time (generally at parties and hopefully not alone in your room, haha), and you do pretty much anything else that a normal college student does.

There is not one more thing to do in Eugene than listed above that you cannot do in Corvallis.

Now if you go to college in Los Angeles, there is a lot more to do if you have a car and if you want to drive around. Of course, in LA, jeez, you can go to premieres, you can go to movies only open in LA and NY, you can go to the beach, you can drive to Mexico if you want, pretty close, you can visit all types of important places, of course you can go to Disneyland, many people do, there is just a ton to do in LA if you really want to get around. I didn't have a car when I was down there, so for me, it was just as boring as a college in Arkansas or whatever.

Most small college towns, like Eugene or Corvallis (even though Eugene is way bigger, it is still small), absolutely do not have anything to do. They are what you make of them. If you make friends, you can hang out and have fun wherever you are, it doesn't matter. If you have no friends and you sit alone in your apartment, well, umm... you're probably going to get bored then.

The reason I like big cities and would simply never consider actually living in a small town is because I happen to appreciate arts and culture and I enjoy formal gatherings and cultural centers, which are always in major cities. Cities provide the centers for culture. Small towns are just not significant in that way. Nothing wrong with living in them, but everything important is in a large city. Portland, Chicago, Seattle, New York, Los Angeles, San Francisco, San Antonio, Dallas, Seattle, New Orleans, St. Louis, Houston, San Diego, all of those cities are where you will find pioneering cultural revolutions or museums or centers for technology and art.

I obviously am not trying to suggest that people who live in towns are not cultured or that towns are poor places to live, but only that truly significant buildings and organizations are in major cities and I would much prefer to be near them and in the center of the action than what is basically the equivalent of Tatooine.

I am like Luke, I don't want any part of Tatooine, I like to be where the action is, and that's not on some silly little outer rim planet like Tatooine. That's on Coruscant where you can get a sample of all cultures and art forms and technology.

Plus, when it comes down to it, I would never live anywhere without a great theater. I even think Portland's 16-plex theaters are too dang small. We need a 25-plex, something that plays every release and has room for artistic films. A giant center for film, that way you wouldn't need to go to Fox Tower 10 for some movies and Movies on TV for others and Tigard for sneak previews and Evergreen for major movies (because they are close to me), etc.

Los Angeles' theaters make me drool. Plus, the history in these major cities is very interesting. There is nothing interesting about most small towns, IMO. They are just funny little collec

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.