main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Provo Utah County Star Wars Fan Club / Provo Fanforce

Discussion in 'SouthWest Region Discussion' started by Handyman, Aug 15, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Handyman

Handyman Jedi Padawan star 4

May 19, 2000
    Greetings Everybody,

This post is to announce the formation of the Utah County Star Wars Fan Club. Hopefully soon we will be recognized also as the Provo Fanforce. The webpage is at http://www.starwarsutah.com.

We have three events planned in the near future...

• Friday, August 24, 2001 - 6:00pm
      Picnic social at Lindon City Park. Details are on the webpage. We already have about 20 people comitted to come to this picnic. If you're interested in joining us, please send me an E-mail.

• Friday, September 14, 2001 - 7:00pm
      Fanfilm Viewing and Action Figure Swap Night. Come and watch some great Fanfilms on VHS and swap action figures with other collectors.

• Tuesday, October 16, 2001 - Time to be announced
      Episode I DVD pickup in costume. Wear your favorite Star Wars costume to a local retail store to pickup the DVD.

If you have any comments or suggestions, please E-mail me or post a followup on this thread.

May the Force be with you!

2. andakin

andakin Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 8, 2000
    Great site. Thanks for putting all of this together.

3. spoo

spoo Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 16, 2001
    Sweet.

I'll be there for the last two, but for the first one I'm still some 3000 miles away. I don't think I can get a ride. ;)

I look foreward to the party thing.

4. Toran-Kal

Toran-Kal Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 23, 2001
    AWESOME!!

I can't say for sure if I'll be to the first one or not, but I'll try. I will be able to come to the other two though.

That'll be fun. Thanks from me too.

5. andakin

Dec 8, 2000
    Well, I don't know how many I can make it to. Probably the second one. But the thing about the third one... my mom said "No. I used to make fun of people like that, and I can't believe my son would do that!"

And there's the fact that she had an absolute cow when I dressed up yesterday like a superhero (complete with Tin Foil helmet and mask, utility belt, cape, and subatomic disruption spear) instead of going to the young men's activity (Hey, it was Basketball for the 5th week in a row...) When she came looking for me in the van after about an hour, she's like, "I can't believe you're doing this! You're embarrasing the whole family!"
    We're still planning a superhero/supervillain clash in the streets near cascade park though..
    Sneaking out the house in Darth Vader costume to pick up a DVD might make a good film.

6. spoo

spoo Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 16, 2001
    Andakin, I think you've got a situation most of us don't have to worry about...

7. andakin

Dec 8, 2000
    (no comment)

8. DarthJago

DarthJago Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 15, 2000
    So how was the Picnic social at Lindon City Park?

9. Handyman

May 19, 2000
    Greetings Guys,

The picnic was great! :D We had over 25 people there and we all had alot of fun.

I'll post pictures of the picnic later this afternoon.

Anyone here want to join us for our Fanfilm Viewing and Action figure swap night? ;)

Later,

10. Handyman

May 19, 2000
    Greetings Everybody,

I have posted several photos from our 1st event, the Picnic Social.

You can check them out at http://www.starwarsutah.com in the "Event Photos" section.

Enjoy!

11. spoo

spoo Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 16, 2001
    I'll be there (with bells on, no less!)

I just need a ride into Orem. Anyone driving from BYU?

12. Toran-Kal

Toran-Kal Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 23, 2001
    I assume when you ask if there's anyone else driving from BYU you mean either me or.....dangit.....can't remember his name. But anyway, yeah I WANT to go but I can't say for sure. If I do go, I can give you a ride.

I don't collect any action figures, and my fan film is not yet complete, so I hope its ok just to come and have fun.

13. Handyman

May 19, 2000
    Greetings Everybody,

Toran-Kal said...
    > I hope its ok just to come and have fun.

Absolutely! :D That's what this is all about. There will be PLENTY of cool Star Wars things to do that night besides swap action figures. ;)

Later,

14. DarthJago

DarthJago Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 15, 2000
    Like what cool star wars things Handyman? Lightsaber fights? CCG games?

15. spoo

spoo Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 16, 2001
    *sitting here wishing I had brought my fighting lightsabers*

I'll have to bring my other saber, it's just for show, doesn't hold a dowel strong enough to fight (and the emitter assembly broke off :_|)

16. Keighvin

Keighvin Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 30, 2001
    Dowels are great for filming - but if you're just goofing off, why break some wood? Or potentially damage a prop? I'll bring my shinai and even give pointers, so no worries about weapons acquisition.

Come anyway just to yack with other fans. We just had to give it an official title and maybe a purpose - I'll do my best to be there and I don't have an action figure to my name (well, a Tiger Interactive Yoda but that ain't going anywhere. :)).

17. Marold

Marold Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 17, 2001
    Can anyone come, I'm in Salt Lake County but I'm only 40 minutes from Provo.

18. andakin

Dec 8, 2000
    I have 5 lightsabres.... toys though. What can I say, they were on sale!
    Can I bring some Bokken? I have access to a few. I used to fence, and I spar occasionally.

19. Handyman

May 19, 2000
    Greetings Everybody,

Marold wrote...
    > Can anyone come, I'm in Salt Lake County but I'm only 40 minutes from Provo.

Abosultely. Everyone is welcome. ;) We even have one person coming all the way from Idaho falls! :eek:

Andakin wrote...
    > Can I bring some Bokken?

Sure.

DarthJago wrote...
    > Like what cool star wars things Handyman? Lightsaber fights? CCG games?

This September 14th meeting will be mostly to get to know all the new people who will be joining us. We'll watch a few Fanfilms that I have converted to high quality DV tape. Any collectors who wish to swap action figures can do so.

We'll be having the meeting at my home in Lindon. I have a Star Wars arcade in my basement where people can play games. We'll discuss the DVD pickup in costume for October 16th and Halloween plans. There will be goodies to eat.

You want to have some Lightsaber fights? No problem. We can arrange that. ;)

We probably won't have time to start any CCG games on the 14th but you can meet people who are interested in playing. Maybe we can play at a future meeting.

The meetings will ALWAYS be free and we'll have lots of fun. Come join us on September 14 and meet lots of cool Star Wars fans of all ages.

Later,

20. Keighvin

Keighvin Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 30, 2001
    If the bokken you're referring too are the typical curved wooden type I wouldn't recommend it. They're designed for kata practise and don't hold up very well under even mock combat. Bring shinai if you have them, or anything made from rattan - I'd also shy away from PVC for sparring.

21. andakin

Dec 8, 2000
    Yes, they are the typical curved japanese practice sword, however they are VERY tough, made out of some oakish hard wood.

22. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    Hi, all. I'm an English Major from Boston at BYU and was just directed here by asking someone else nicely if there were any place other than Idaho to be a SW fanatic in Utah. I'd love to go to the fanfilm viewing and get to know any other SW people in the area. For whoever said they're coming from BYU, any room in the car? Or where is it, since I have a bike?

23. Handyman

May 19, 2000
    Greetings DarthIshtar,

We will be meeting in Lindon which is just North of Orem.

There are several people coming from BYU who need rides. We will make arrangements here in the Provo, Utah forum next week to get rides for people.

Remember, it's one week from tonight! ;)

Later,

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.