main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

V: The Visitors

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by Espaldapalabras, Nov 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Obey Wann

Obey Wann Former RMFF CR & SW Region RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 14, 2000
    Yeah, I got the impression she was the queen bee / religious head.

I also was kind of turned off by the massive "pull out" shot that they did, as it was too reminiscent of Battlestar Galactica. It seemed like they copied the shot almsot exactly, just in reverse. Yes, it was nice to see the cliffhanger there, but that also makes whatever the resistance is doing seem kinda moot. It's obvious that the rest of the fleet is just waiting for the earth-ships to do whatever they are doing (pre-packaging their YV dinners or whatever), but honestly, if they have that many ships, just get it over with.

2. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Anna's expression during the "skim him" command was down right creepy- perfectly done.

3. Blur

Blur Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 1999

Haven't seen this new V show yet, but was a big fan of the '80's mini-series/TV show, so am looking forward to this - if nothing else, the special effects for the new show are obviously superior to the older one. I only watch TV shows on DVD, so hopefully the first season of the new V will hit DVD later this year (my hope is that they package both the first part of the first season (broadcast last Fall) and the second part (starting in March this year) on one DVD set).

I have a feeling I will enjoy this revamp even more than the original. Though the '80's show was great for it's time, it seems dated now. And, though the 2 '80's mini-series (1983 & 1984) were great, the season long TV series (1984-1985) was, overall, quite weak - I think I remember reading that they didn't have as high of a budget for the show that they had for the mini-series, and it really showed.

4. Thumpy

Thumpy Jedi Master star 4

May 3, 2005
    Yeah, slated for Spring 2010!

http://abc.go.com/shows/v

5. resnictem

resnictem Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jan 3, 1999
    I'm shocked, shocked I tell you, that no one has weighed in on Tuesday nights show. However, I have one observation: Didn't think lizards had Queen's. Anyway, I thought it was very well done....

6. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    I agree it was a great show however it was hard for me to get back into it since it took SO LONG of a break and after only what....4 episodes in originally?

I had forgotten way to much over these months.....

7. jediknightleia

jediknightleia Jedi Grand Master star 2

Aug 28, 2002
    I can't wait for this weeks episode, looks like another skinning is coming up.

8. JEDI-SOLO

Feb 12, 2002
    Im getting back into the swing of this show I think!

9. Lord_Lahmien

Lord_Lahmien Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 19, 2008
    No skinning persay but I would have liked to see more of what happened betwen John May and Ryan who seems to have been some sort of hunter when he was with the V's. Hopefully our rag-tag 5th column crew hears of Anna's army soon because she laid a ****load of eggs.

10. Raven

Raven Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998

This show seems to be lacking a certain narrative drive. I mean, I love long story arcs. But even when multiple things happen and change each episode, this show doesn't feel to me like anything is actually happening. The characters feel static, even though events are changing. And I'd like to smack at least half of them upside of the head.

11. Kol_Skywalker

Kol_Skywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 9, 2006
    So, the new bloke that has joined the resistance ... the guy who knows how to put together a cell, lead an army, etc. etc.

Do you think he is the Ham Tyler archetype from the original show?

12. Lord_Lahmien

Jun 19, 2008
    Thus far, other than having a cool accent he has been rather worthless. I would have traded him for Georgey.

13. JEDI-SOLO

Feb 12, 2002
    The whole Gorgey thing was really pointless. I thought he was there to stay. Thats war for you though.

14. FamousAmos

FamousAmos VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 9, 2003

Yes, except he entirely lacks the badassitude of Michael Ironside. Just sayin'

:p

15. Kol_Skywalker

Jun 9, 2006
    I wonder if we will get the 'Willie' archetype ... the 'doofus' Visitor?

Also, I wonder if the RED DUST will come into play later in the storyline?

16. Lord_Lahmien

Jun 19, 2008

Michael Ironside > new V

17. Likewater

Likewater Jedi Master star 4

Dec 31, 2009
    wow, that Soilder took an Axe to the chest...and lived, and even got up.

18. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    This show is soooo boring. It's got to pick up the pace. It has 5 minutes of show dedicated to moving forward the story then 35 minutes of filler. I don't know maybe I am expecting way too much since I really liked the original series and it has been a few years since I watched it.

19. Raven

Oct 5, 1998

I'm starting to enjoy this show a bit more. The last few episodes have picked things up a bit, and I don't mind long and sprawling plots so long as they eventually go somewhere. I think that V is finding a good balance between how much occurs in each episode and how much the main plot gets advanced.

20. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, the last 3 or 4 episodes have really picked up the pace.

21. Kol_Skywalker

Jun 9, 2006
    PREDICTION: I think that the RED DUST will come into play during the future storyline, or some kind of variant. And the big event / reveal? I think that the first Visitor that they will test it on will be Lisa, and the person using it on her will be Tyler.

I think that this will be a mirror-image of the scene / subplot of the original series (although the sexes have been reversed ... in the original, a human female (who is impregnated by a V) discovers that they are 'lizards' ... and uses the Red Dust on him.

There is a whole subplot about the character of Tyler in that he has issues of trust / betrayal, etc. I think an emotional 'highpoint' for his Character will be when he eventually discovers that the girl he is banging is a cold-blooded lizard! :) He will become a tool of the Fifth Column / Resistance, and I think he will be used to test the Red Dust on Lisa.

Again ... just a prediction!

22. JEDI-SOLO

Feb 12, 2002
    I think she is just going change sides myself.

23. Raven

Oct 5, 1998
    She pretty much already has. First she was worried about Tyler. Then she was flat-out told she failed the empathy test, decided to spend her last day of life with Tyler, and got lucky that the person giving the test if Fifth Column (and the reason he provided her for sparing her, that one day he'd ask her to do something and she would, was brilliant - makes him seem as cold, nasty and calculating in doing a good thing as any V). And at the end of the most recent episode, she pretty much straight out lies to her mother and tries to keep Tyler from coming to the ship. When Tyler or Anna try to push the issue, I expect her to join the Fifth Column.

The way I would expect it to happen would be for her to go to Tyler and his mother, tell them the truth. Beg Tyler's mother to take Tyler and go. Tyler would be horribly hurt and betrayed. Mother would ask her to come too, over Tyler's objections. Well, at least that's how I'd write it.

24. Kol_Skywalker

Jun 9, 2006
    One plot hole that is really starting to annoy me, is that why haven't the human members of the Fifth Column asked Ryan (the African-American V fella) just what the hell the Visitors are doing on Earth, and what do they want?

Sure, he was sent ahead of the rest of them to infiltrate Earth ... but he would still know what the main objectives are, ie: like the original series --- steal all of the fresh water, and humans as food.

25. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    More immediate, I am a little annoyed about these characters who keep asking the 5th members "Name one bad thing the V's have done! You can't, can you?"

Why don't they run off a good list? Murder, subversion, secret surveilance, biological tracking and manipulation, etc?

Even if they don't want to name all of them to keep some cards secret, there's at least a few basic ones they could tell that wouldn't compromise them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.