main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Vader has Yellow Eyes as the Mask goes on.

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by SAND-CRAWLER, Jan 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SAND-CRAWLER

SAND-CRAWLER Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 12, 2003
    I asked this a long time ago because I noticed it during my third viewing in the theatre but no one could confirm it. Now I believe it's been confirmed. Vader's eyes ARE yellow as the Mask goes on. It's only in ONE shot and it lasts but a moment, but his eyes are yellow. Here's the shot:

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v504/SAND-CRAWLER/vader0047cj.jpg]

Compare that shot with the one before:

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v504/SAND-CRAWLER/vader0057rs.jpg]

As you can see, his eyes are normal and dark but just before the mask seals his eyes are Sith yellow and he's filled with the darkside.

I really like this shot and it struck me in the theatre. It gives new meaning to the scene where Luke takes his mask off in RotJ and his eyes aren't yellow anymore. He says "Let me look at you with my OWN eyes". It's a statement that has a dual meaning. First, he's saying "let me look at you without the red display of the mask", and second he's saying "let me look at you through my natural eyes and not my darkside eyes". Vader's eyes have been yellow under that mask from the moment before it sealed to the moment when he tossed Palpatine into the reactor shaft.

2. BothofUs

BothofUs Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 5, 2003
    *applaudes*

3. RolandofGilead

RolandofGilead Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 17, 2001
    That's... just so... beautiful! :( ~sniff!

4. Chewbacca_11

Chewbacca_11 Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 20, 2005
    Yeah, I see what you mean. Good point. =D=

5. DroidGeneral

DroidGeneral Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 22, 2005
    Yea, I don't see ****.

6. Icebreaker

Icebreaker Jedi Master star 4

Aug 20, 2001
    Hmmm...doesn't look yellow to me.

Take 'er easy
    -matt

7. Obi-Chron

Obi-Chron Jedi Master star 4

Nov 11, 2003
    [throws red challenge flag]

UPON FURTHER REVIEW -- the shot of Vaderkin is from the side, so the color of the iris would not be as discernable as a 'head on' shot. But comparing the 'birth' shot with an immolation scene photo posted below, Vaderkin's Sith eyes have a discernable 'red ring' around the yellow iris. That is not at all evident in the 'birth' scene for Vader side-shot. The apparent yellow could simply be a result of the side view of a brown iris.

I do like the premise behind this thread -- no fear, only anger, pain, hate and the darkside! Just need better proof.

[image=http://img49.imageshack.us/img49/5500/millenniumfalconrotsdvdanakins.jpg]

8. PowerUnlimitedPower

PowerUnlimitedPower Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 10, 2006
    Nice idea , but Nah. his eyes look Really really bloodshot to me. he's just been through hell . i don't see them as yellow. IMO.

9. YYZ-2112

YYZ-2112 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2004
    As much as I thought his eyes should have been fully yellow like Sidious' before the mask goes on, I don't see it in this shot. It is in my opineon how it should've been though. The clear indicator that he was no longer engulfed in darkness would have been nice to see on screen when Return of the Jedi has Anakin unmasked in contrast to yellow eyes and the mask being put on in ROTS.

Then again maybe his eyes not being yellow at all times is intended to be proof positive that's he not fully corrupted, perhaps this is why Dooku never had yellow eyes; to express this point about some of the Sith Apprentices. It's kind of a catch 22.

EDIT: Anyway to be honest, I think if Lucas intended this connected it wouldn't have been done in such a subtle way. His eyes would have shifted to yellow in the frontal shot. It would look more dynamic cinematically and sent the message Lucas wanted.

10. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005
    The hate-filled, animalistic Sith eyes of Maul and Sidious only appear momentarily in Vader's complexion - immediately after his slaughter of the Separatists, where he is filled with satisfaction and is intoxicated by the Dark Side, and when he is clawing his way up the bank, expressing his contempt for Obi Wan. There are no other instances of Sith eyes on Vader. Those shots have convinced me of this all the more. I'm not seeing what you're seeing, Sand Crawler.

Why would Anakin be filled with such feral intensity at that moment, anyway? He's a broken and battered man - deeply traumatised, both mentally and physically, wreathed in agony and fear, uncertain and apprehensive of this mechanised mask descending to consume his face and deprive his eyes of seeing for years to come. All beauty and meaning has gone out of his world. The hatefulness only returns when he learns of Padme's death, but just prior to that moment, I sense only solemn pity and regret.

11. yoshifett

yoshifett Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 17, 2004
    Yeah, Anakin didn't look filled with rage in that scene, he looked in pain, and scared.

12. PadmeLeiaJaina

PadmeLeiaJaina Force Ghost star 6

May 23, 2002
    I think Hayden actually had Vader meekly mouth "No" when the mask was coming down in that scene. That being the case, his eyes wouldn't be yellow as he was full of regret.

Now I might be willing to believe that his eyes went blazing yellow under his mask before screaming "Noooooooo" but they just don't look yellow to me in the photos above.

13. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005
    He did? I'll have to watch that sequence again.

By the way, PadmeLeiaJaina, I very much appreciated your analysis of the Anakin/Padme romance, as it pertains to the most woefully misunderstood scenes of Episode II. I have problems with Attack of the Clones, but aside from some monotonous deliveries by - of all people - Ian McDiarmid, my complaints are almost exclusively confined to more technical issues (namely, soundmixing, score tracking and CG use). I've never remotely disliked the Anakin/Padme romance and always roll my eyes whenever I see other people deriding it as being "unrealistic", "dull" and "cheesy". But that's another thread...

14. Super_Battle_Droid

Super_Battle_Droid Jedi Master star 5

May 8, 2002
  15. brook_33

brook_33 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 30, 2003
    That's pretty sweet. I thought I saw that too, but I never really looked into it.

16. battlewars

battlewars Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 5, 2005
    anakin reminds me of david banner right before he turned into the hulk with those eyes

17. OBIWAN-JR

OBIWAN-JR Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 25, 2002
    I don't see any yellow, nor any red ring.

I am afraid that I have to agree with Cryo on this one, SC.
    I think that Hayden played that scene to perfection.

Vader, the man who will terrorize the Galaxy for the next 22 years, looks full of fear as that Helm is lowered into place.

-JR :)

18. jedi_jacks

jedi_jacks Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 17, 2005
    Smokes, I feel really sorry for anakin in the 2nd picture of sand crawler's. His eyes look* pretty dark, like obi-wan when he talks to padme and later when he confronts vader on mustafar. I think I do see a little yellow though - I don't see blue.

*edit

19. JASTERSLEGACEYV2

JASTERSLEGACEYV2 Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 23, 2005
    they appear to be the same color in both shots,

but thats just me

20. WitchKing66

WitchKing66 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2005
    could be just a movie mistake ...

they really have to fix the eyes in OT; either make Vader'eye all red in TESB and ROTJ or in ANH make it black

21. darthOB1

darthOB1 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 22, 2000
    I suppose its could be possible he has yellow eyes. But I'm not too sure.

After all fear, not anger could just as easily inspire the yellow to come out.

His fear of being encased, fear of becoming inhuman, fear of how people will now see him.

If indeed they are yellow or turning yellow it is from fear not rage/anger.

22. theBluePhoenix

theBluePhoenix Jedi Master star 3

Jan 4, 2001
    I don?t think that we can se enough of his pupil to know for sure. It seems kinda silly to me that his eyes would change back and forth. It seems to me that once you turn, your eyes should be yellow all the time like Darth Maul. We know that is not the case because Dooku?s eyes were not yellow and Palpatine?s were not yellow until his face got jacked up.

23. anakin_luver

anakin_luver Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 26, 2005

That's just it. Anakin's eyes changing back anf forth indicate the conflict going through him. It describes him perfectly.

I have to watch the movie agian, but I really don't see it. I think it would be better if his eyes weren't yellow because it shows that he's not truly Vader yet. I know lots of people believe he is Vader when he is named so, but I truly believe he isn't Vader unitl the mask is fully on. And him being positively afraid and terrified at that moment supports my theory.

24. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    Don't know about the colors, but thanks for my new desktop wallpaper. Mmmm, high-res ROTS.

Rick McCallum loves you!

25. Darth_Gzus33

Darth_Gzus33 Jedi Youngling

Nov 24, 2003
    You all can sit around and debate all night, the fact is Darth Vader is is a Sith Lord full of hatred like never before, and he will kick all of your monkey asses!!! His eyes are still yellow after the duel because at this point all he wants to do is crush Obi Wan like the slummy he is!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.