main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Vader's Lightsaber for LOTR (Finally!)

Discussion in 'Archive: Games: CCG, TCG, and Boardgames' started by E_Greyshadow, Apr 8, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. E_Greyshadow

E_Greyshadow Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 11, 2001
    Sorry it took so long with this one but, once again, life interferes with the best-laid plans. That, and it's nigh-impossible to find an image of Vader that A) matches the LOTR format for character weapons and B) isn't in use by Decipher. Therefore, I just gave up and used the image you see on the card. I also made two different versions:

Version 1 basically shows that Vader's saber can chop through pretty much anything. I've purposefully left out staffs because, since it could stop the Balrog's flaming sword, I figured Gandalf's staff could probably stand up to a lightsaber for a whack or two.

Version 2 is the classic lightsaber deflection we've all come to know and love. For a while I was thinking of doing something similar to the Cave Troll's chain, and allowing Vader to not take the wound AND hurt the Free Peoples with the ricochet. But that would be WAY too broken.

Anyhoo, I look forward to reading your critiques later. It's 2:20 in the morning, and I'm going to bed now.

2. Masterlucas

Masterlucas Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 28, 2002
    Great work once again, can't wait to spring these on someone in a pickup game just to see the look on their face.

3. E_Greyshadow

Mar 11, 2001
    I noticed some things that needed changing from the originals. For instance, the "Damage +1" wasn't in bold, the flavour text had no quotes, and other cosmetic changes. Here's the changed cards.

Version 1

Version 2

4. Ocelot_X

Ocelot_X Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 16, 2001
    For the second version, how about allowing him to exert to wound a companion if he just prevented a wound with the saber's text? Vader should be able to knock fire back, but it should be harder to do than just blocking it. Also, I think it should be an artifact.

5. Restrainingbolt

Restrainingbolt Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 12, 2002
    Does one need a website to post a link to card images or can card images be posted directly to this forum? Your cards look great. My son was so facinated by the Vader card that he spent a good part of his spring break creating additional cards. He's currently made 20 cards with game text which include characters and weapons.

Those cards include:

Vader (different image and game text)
    Darth Maul
    Fett
    Jango
    Zam Wessel
    Mara
    Aura Sing
    Snowtrooper
    Bikerscout
    Stormtrooper
    Blastech E-11 Military Sidearm
    Plastoid Stormtrooper Armor
    Heavy Repeating E-Web Blaster
    Mara's Lightsaber

Military Swarms which include:

Stormtropper Detachment
    Stormtrooper Reinforcements
    Stormtrooper Patrol Troop
    Stormtrooper Raiding Party
    Stormtrooper Security (Sandtrooper Group)
    Snowtrooper Assault Division

A neat turn on this game with a Star Wars theme would be a fellowship where the Ring Bearer is actually the "Plan Bearer" (as in Death Star Plans). Now what would be the adventure Path! : )

He plans on working on event and condition cards in the days ahead. Gaming night at a local card store will have a new deck type to play against in the weeks ahead. His goal is to make a playable deck just for fun! Thanks for the inspiration.

Restrainingbolt

6. Anonymous_Jedi

Anonymous_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 4, 2001
    "A neat turn on this game with a Star Wars theme would be a fellowship where the Ring Bearer is actually the "Plan Bearer" (as in Death Star Plans). Now what would be the adventure Path! : )"

That's an awesome idea! Maybe some of us should make that game! ;)

7. E_Greyshadow

Mar 11, 2001
    "Does one need a website to post a link to card images or can card images be posted directly to this forum?"

Yeah, you do need a place to host the pictures. Luckily, my ISP gives me webspace. I do have some room left on mine, so if you have some of those cards he made I can put them up on mine. Just e-mail them to me at gbanias@shaw.ca and I'll get 'em up.

8. Infiltrator

Infiltrator Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 4, 2002
    where is your website?

9. E_Greyshadow

Mar 11, 2001
    My website is here, but I haven't updated it in a very long time. I basically use the webspace as a place to store pictures I'm showing on boards 'n stuff.

Oh, yeah...
    "My son was so facinated by the Vader card that he spent a good part of his spring break creating additional cards."
    ... seriously, I'm honoured. If what I've done has sparked the creative juices of the youth of today, then a big "Woohoo!" shall be raised tonight! :)

10. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Acxtually, in this thread, on page 2 we started talking about a SW-LOTR conversion game when that Vader LOTR image was posted, with R2 as frodo (so hobbits would droids), and what cultures would be the SW equivilent, like Sauron=Empire, etc.

11. Restrainingbolt

Feb 12, 2002
    Thanks for the link to the thread. Very interesting discussion. It's a shame Decipher doesn't have the rights to Star Wars because the LOTR's game mechanics could be fun in a Star Wars game format.

Restrainingbolt

12. Red84

Red84 SWCCG Content Mgr. (Card Games) star 4 VIP

Oct 20, 2000
    Another great job. I might try my hand at making some LS stuff. Anyway, when you guys get those pics onto the same website, lmk and I'llpost the link in Downtime when it's finished (and it's close).

13. E_Greyshadow

Mar 11, 2001
    Actually Red, if it's all the same to you, I'd prefer if theforce.net hosted the images. If it's permission you need, "I give you permission". There, I said it. It's just I'm not sure if my ISP limits the amount of traffic on my site, and wouldn't want to dissapoint anyone not being able to view them (or be surprised when I get a $100 charge on my account for excessive bandwidth usage :p).

(EDIT) Here's where I have the entire set of Star Wars LOTR cards so far. Up for a limited time only, act now! Click here

14. Restrainingbolt

Feb 12, 2002
    Thanks for posting the pics!

Now... the question is who would be the 9 companions in a parallel version of the game on the lightside. I get 8 companions and am not sure who the 9th should be?

Luke
    Leia
    Ben
    R2-D2
    C-3PO
    Han
    Chewie
    Lando

Perhaps... Wedge might be the prime candidate for number 9? Any suggestions?

Restrainingbolt

15. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I would focus on characters from Episode 4 since that is what this "plans bearer" mission is about, so drop Lando perhaps?

16. Red84

Red84 SWCCG Content Mgr. (Card Games) star 4 VIP

Oct 20, 2000
    Alright, I'll see about getting the cards up on TFN in some fashion :)

Luke, Leia, and Threepio (from Skywalker)
    Ben (from Jedi)
    Han and Chewie (from Allies)
    Artoo (from Rebel)

And I think that's really it as far as the Episode IV "Fellowship" is concernced. It doesn't *have to be* nine. If you're really that worried about breaking up the cycle, I suppose we could add Biggs and Wedge in there too. In either case, Episode V and VI would get Lando as part of the Allies.

Episode I would be:
    Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan (from Jedi)
    Padme, Anakin, and Threepio (from Skywalker)
    Panaka, Handmaidens, and Artoo (from Republic)
    Jar Jar (from Allies)

NJO:
    Corran, Jacen, and Anakin (from Jedi)
    Mara, Luke, Leia (Skywalker)
    Han, Jaina (New Republic)
    Talon Karrde (Allies)
    (Threepio and Artoo would become "Ally" cards)

Wow, lots of cool possibilities.

17. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Perhaps instead of "Burdens", R2 would get something along the lines of "Trackers", which would represent how close the Dark Side is to catching R2/recovering the plans (but they could always "sneak attack"/"set a trap" and overwehlm him of course::) ).

Other ideas, instead of calling them "trackers", could be "retraining bolts", "flutters", "carbon scorings" or "eccentricities" ::)

18. Infiltrator

Infiltrator Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 4, 2002
    any picts of non imp cards? the background on the imp cards rocks, i'm wondering if you have a rebel version...

19. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Rebels should be Mon Mothma..makes sense::)

20. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    BTW, those custom cards are awesome! Do you still have a copy of that Boba Fett pic? Thats an awesome one.

::gets cracking on a couple custom cards::

21. Restrainingbolt

Feb 12, 2002
    Infiltrator wrote: "any picts of non imp cards? the background on the imp cards rocks, i'm wondering if you have a rebel version..."

Not yet. He should have some done early next week. I know he's gotten a number of pics, but is still looking for others. The lightside templates are about done, but he hasn't decided yet as to whether or not he should use an Elven or Man culture card. Personally I'm leaning towards the Gandolf (yellowish) version myself.

Restrainingbolt

22. Restrainingbolt

Feb 12, 2002
    The 2nd Quest wrote: "BTW, those custom cards are awesome! Do you still have a copy of that Boba Fett pic? Thats an awesome one."

If you'd like the Fett pic... post your e-mail address and I'll send you a jpg when I get back to work on Monday. Yeah... I think the pic is just awesome as well. It lent itself to cropping just right. I love the way the backpack and blaster just fit into the card window. Another of my favorite pics are Mara Jade and the Stormtrooper Detactment.

If any of you have comments about the Deploy_Power relationships of the cards, please comment. A LOTR"s tourney director in our area who was a former Star Wars tourney director (and who was pretty highly ranked when he played the game), got a real charge out of cards. He did laugh and say that the "Imperial Culture" would be the most "broken" culture in the game.

My son has always been a darkside favorite so the Fellowship has been on hold until he had fun with the Imperials.

Restrainingbolt

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.