main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Video Games Banned in Greece

Discussion in 'Archive: The Senate Floor' started by Darth Geist, Sep 4, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth Geist

Darth Geist Jedi Master star 5

Oct 23, 1999
    Apparently, the Greek government didn't want people playing gambling games, and since they weren't sure which games did and didn't involve gambling, they decided to ban them all, complete with huge fines and jail times. Here's the link:

Stupidity Conquers All

2. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    Okay, but what do you think of it?

Does this relate to anything beyond this individual event? Seems to be a bit close to just a news article, which the Senate usually stays away from.

3. StarFire

StarFire Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 31, 2001
    Far as I can tell, they're only banning portable video games.

Wait -- did I just say "only"??!

:p

4. Darth Geist

Oct 23, 1999
    "Okay, but what do you think of it?"

I think that, in addition to being a ridiculous display of willful ignorance, it sets an unheard-of precedent, and not just against video games. We're talking about a government that can ban a medium it doesn't even pretend to understand at the drop of a hat. Sounds a lot like what people have been trying here.

Starfire: According to the article, the Greek government has banned "all electronic games"--including those that come with Windows.

5. Rebecca191

Rebecca191 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 2, 1999
    Yeah, I heard about this. I think it's completely ridiculous and infringes on people's rights.

6. General Cargin

General Cargin Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 15, 1999
    The article actually states the intent of the ban was to enforce a ban on electronic gambling. Unfortunately, the wording of the legislation has used the term "gaming" which can mean gambling or playing games. It seems to be a lot of over-reaction to solvng poker machine addiction.

7. StarFire

StarFire Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 31, 2001
    Whoops :p

Thanks Darth Geist :)

This is almost like China banning Google, but that's to be expected from a country like China. But this ... :confused:

They can't REALLY be stupid enough to make a law this broad just to ban illegal gambling. It's like squashing a fly with a sledge hammer the size of Texas.

But ... but ... online chess?! Solitaire?? What're they thinking?!

And that's not a rhetorical question, BTW. Is this a serious flub, or is it an attempt to regulate gaming (especially violent games)?

8. Admiral_Thrawn60

Admiral_Thrawn60 Jedi Youngling star 6

Jul 8, 2000
    Wow. That's um... um...

OK, what were those Greek voters thinking? Do they have legalized marijuana available at the polling stations or something?

Seriously, I think that law is absurd and unjustified.

9. DarthNut

DarthNut Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 1, 1999
    That is the most ridiclous law I've ever hear of. I thought Greece was a democracy, not a police-state.

DarthNut,
    the nuttiest guy around.

10. WormieSaber

WormieSaber Jedi Master star 5

Oct 22, 2000
    What? No portable video games in Greece. Well, how will those poor people survive.... :p

11. Admiral_Thrawn60

Admiral_Thrawn60 Jedi Youngling star 6

Jul 8, 2000
    So if Windows games are banned in Greece, are people still allowed to use Windows? What about computers with Windows? What happens to them?

12. KaineDamo

KaineDamo Jedi Youngling star 5

Mar 6, 2002
    Is there any opposition to this in Greece? How do they plan on enforcing this law?

13. Darth_Omega

Darth_Omega Force Ghost star 6

May 19, 2002
    are people still allowed to use Windows?

last time I checked Windows IS NOT a video game :p

When installing windows you have an option to install the games. So you can savely remove them

But what is happening in Greece is absurb, stupid and ignorant...

14. JediLord

JediLord Jedi Master star 4

Oct 15, 2000
    Read more than 2 words, it's ALL games not just portable ones.

That includes Pc games as well. It is crap, worse than Australia banning GTA3. Be glad if you live in the U.S.

15. KaineDamo

Mar 6, 2002
    Yeah, because the US is the only place where you can play video games now. *rolls eyes*. I found this article at the BBC News website. Apparently, yes, they have banned all video games. But they only plan on enforcing the law in public places for now. Heres the article:

Gamers in Greece are preparing to fight legislation which bans them from playing any electronic game in public.
    The Greek Government has banned games on computers and consoles like the Xbox and Playstation in places like internet cafes.

The legislation came into force at the beginning of August as part of a policy to clamp down on illegal gambling in the country.

But the law has been criticised for not making a distinction between interactive gambling and computer games.

"Theoretically the police can arrest you if you are using your PC for playing games or if your employer catches you playing chess or backgammon on Yahoo," said a statement from the Greek Internet Café Union which is fighting the ban.

Officials have told the BBC that even though the law bans the playing of games on PCs and consoles at home it will only be pursuing gamers who flout it in public places such as internet cafes.

Laughable

The whole matter could remain in the sphere of comedy if it didn't concern directly the employment of thousands

Greek Internet Cafe Union
    The first case of its kind will come before the Greek courts next week following the arrest of two people who allowed gamers to play the popular online game, Counter-Strike.

They face fines of 150,000 euros (£95,000) and up to 12 months imprisonment.

"The whole matter could remain in the sphere of comedy if it didn't concern directly the employment of thousands of people," said the Greek Internet Café Union.

"In China they prohibit access to political sites, in some other countries prevent connection to sites of sexual content and in Greece it is illegal to use personal computers and games consoles for playing games," it continued.

If the letter of the law is enforced, the union said the next stage would be to ban the selling of games and legal action against Microsoft to remove games from the Greek version of Windows.

But officials say they have no plans to ban the import of consoles or to take legal action against Microsoft's operating system.

Online voices

The gaming community has accused the government of taking the country back to the 1970s when individuals were arrested for playing cards at home.

Along with owners of Greece's many internet cafes, it is determined to make its voice heard.

Greek gaming site www.gameland.gr has launched an online petition against the ban and has had 14,000 signatures so far.

A gaming tournament planned in Greece this week has been relocated to Oslo.

End article. Personally, i think the whole thing is just pure lazyness and ignorance on the Greeke governments part. They can't be bothered to find out the difference between interactive gambling games and all other video games, so they just ban ALL games. I'm sure they'll realise the error soon, and gaming will be legal again in Greece.

16. JediLord

Oct 15, 2000
    Look BUDDY, no one said that only the US allows video games. Did you see that written anywhere? I sure didn't. Mayeb you were imagining things.

I was simply stating that b/c the US would never ever try to ban video games. Some idiots might try to censor some, but would fail. This law would never happen here. Too many people would be angry. you see, in the US, the people would have a say and it would not pass.

17. KaineDamo

Mar 6, 2002
    This is true of alot of countries. The only reason it happened in Greece is because of the governments own stupidity. The US isn't the only democracy, it isn't a full complete real democracy, and it isn't the best one in the world. So there.

18. JediLord

Oct 15, 2000
    I wonder how old you are to use the phrase "So there".

Has your voice changed yet?

Once again, you reply to things that were not said. No one said the US was a true democracy or the best. You seem angry towards the US. Envious perhaps?

I am not here defending democracy or anythig of the sort. i was stating that here, the people have a lot of power, if they so choose to use it. That is why so many people from your nation have come to live here. think before you speak.

19. KaineDamo

Mar 6, 2002
    The main reason many of my people moved to your country is because of the famine. Anyway, this isn't the topic for this discussion.

20. darth_boy

darth_boy Jedi Grand Master star 7

Apr 1, 2001
    I thinks the banning is rediculous...
    -----
    [image=http://cbg.nohomers.net/images/frames/collector9.jpg]

-Comic Book Guy

21. Darth Geist

Oct 23, 1999
    "Anyway, this isn't the topic for this discussion."

Exactly.

22. Vaderize03

Vaderize03 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 25, 1999
    The US isn't the only democracy, it isn't a full complete real democracy, and it isn't the best one in the world.

Yes it is :p.

Seriously, what a joke. They're going to lose a lot of international business with a stunt like that.

Does any free society need a law like that?? I mean, do they have more pressing matters to worry about??

Peace,

V-03

23. stevo

stevo Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 14, 2001
    :eek:

That's censorship!(duh) And completely absurd!

24. DARTHPIGFEET

DARTHPIGFEET Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 24, 2001
    "They can't REALLY be stupid enough to make a law this broad"

Well the U.S. did it with the 1st and 2nd ammendment. Very broad and can be interpreted 1000 different ways. Most laws if you look at them are broad and have grey areas which come in and effect something that you would never even think would apply to that particular law.

Anyway I doubt the law will last long since everyone is all up and arms about not being able to play their video games, and I would say that the law will not be gone totally but the law will be clarified that gambling will not be allowed.

Oh and yes it's a stupid law which needed to be refined. I guess this means that if someone in Greece had an old Atari 2600 and tried to play megamania they could face criminal charges. That is funny now that I think about it.

25. Aurra_Sting

Aurra_Sting Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 19, 2002
    You guys, it was accidental that this ban covers video games. It's not what the law was intended for, and this is nothing more than the "weird news" story of the week that will be changed as soon as someone points out that the technicality is there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.