main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Was Dooku as strong as Sidious?

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by Master_Obi-One, Nov 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    Oh they know by the time of Episode III. At the end of Episode II, I think they had a pretty good idea.

2. WEEBACCA

WEEBACCA Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 4, 2004
    They know he's a Sith, but do they know he's Tyrannus? I don't think the movies answer this question?

3. DarthSapient

Jun 26, 2001
    I see what you're asking. I would think Obi-Wan was able to make the connection with the information Jango gave him and then the events later on. But it was never explicitly stated they knew his Sith name was Tyranus.

4. WEEBACCA

Mar 4, 2004
    You're right. I would also think that Obi would be able to make the connection. At least seeing Jango and Dooku on the arena balcony together should alert the Jedi to the fact that Jango is employed by Dooku, which would make the whole clone thing on Kamino very suspicious hmmm...

5. RolandofGilead

RolandofGilead Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 17, 2001
    After AotC, one thing I wanted was for them to refer to Dooku as Tyranus more often. I felt it was his Sith name and the other should be long forgotten. But now I think this only applies to Anakin. Darth Maul had no identity prior to the Sith, Sidious still goes as "Palpatine" to the public at large, and Dooku still had a part to play as the rebellious former Jedi.

But Anakin destroyed everything he cared about and walked away from his former life. For him alone, his former name no longer has meaning. It's clear tha---

Wha' you're pink!!!! [face_hypnotized]

6. DarthSapient

Jun 26, 2001
    I think the red saber was all that was needed to figure out who Dooku was. That, and shooting lightning from his hands.

7. WEEBACCA

Mar 4, 2004
    That's enough to figure he's a Sith allright, but that doesn't indicate his name is Tyrannus (The Jedi do not know that Tyrannus is the name of a Sith, as he's not referred to as Darth or Lord). But I agree that Obi-Wan and the Jedi were probably able to figure it out nonetheless. :)

8. DarthSapient

Jun 26, 2001
    But once Dooku tells Obi-Wan that the Sith Master has a name and that name is Darth Sidious, it means that Dooku is not the Sith Master, he is a Sith, and his name is Darth Tyranus.

9. sithrules70

sithrules70 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 28, 2005
    Was Dooku as strong as Sidious?

[face_thinking]........[face_not_talking]

10. Rossa83

Rossa83 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 8, 2005
    I didn't explicitly say that Vader was more powerful than Sideous did I? or even implicitly... no, no, no (Sideous' voice)

What I meant is that the apprentice can be stronger than the master... And I think that OBW and Anakin serves as a good example of that...

Sideous was stronger than Vader, slightly stronger than Dooku.
    Not stronger than Yoda (biased:D ), otherwise I agree totally with you and macethecouncillor here... good posts!

11. sithrules70

sithrules70 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 28, 2005
    the problem with that is that the connection between darth and tyranus is never made until grievous tells obi wan and in the movie it never happens

12. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    In the films, the Jedi have no clue that a man called Tyranus is Dooku. In the novelization, Grievous calls Dooku "Lord Tyranus" and Obi-wan puts two and two together.

13. sith_rising

sith_rising Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 7, 2004
    The Jedi never figure out that Tyranus=Dooku. If they knew that they were the same person, they would be aware that the war is being staged by the Sith. Jango tells Obi-Wan that he was hired by a Tyranus to be a template for the Republic's army. If they knew that Tyranus was secretly building the Republic's army, and that Tyranus was also leading the Seperatist's army, it would become obvious that they were getting played.

14. legion_of_me

legion_of_me Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 6, 2005
    :eek: Count Dooku ran from that battle, so in my opinion he lost.

I would have loved to see a Sidious/Tyrannus showdown even though Sids would probably have won. But I don't think Dooku was nearly as powerful as Sids.

15. legion_of_me

legion_of_me Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 6, 2005
    I think Mace was, or at least he had the upper hand. I'm still not sure which it was. I think in an outright saber duel Mace would spank Palps. Dooku might be a little tougher but I think he'd still beat him. Mace's character history indicates that he's definitely fought tougher opponents.

16. mop

mop Jedi Youngling

May 27, 2005
    They'd probably tie in a saber battle but Sidious I believe is stronger with the force and is much smarter. I think if they ever fought Sidious would get defeated in sabre combat only to use trickery to kill Dooku.

17. sabarte

sabarte Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 8, 2005
    I'm not so sure about smarter. Dooku is pretty smart (brilliant, by deleted scenes) He's good at controlling the battles he's in to his advantage, until Destiny Incarnate decides he needs a smackdown. He's just not as wise. I'd say Sidious is a far better strategist, while Dooku might well be a better tactician. He certainly tactically owns Mace and a 200-Jedi posse on Geonosis (Mace and 200 Jedi should have been able to beat Dooku down, but failed miserably. Yoda, etc. should have been able to catch him or at least strand him on planet.) He just doesn't quite grasp the big picture.

18. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003

Yes!

You have used a sledgehammer to drive home a nail!

Perfect observation...

19. _Sublime_Skywalker_

_Sublime_Skywalker_ Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2004
    Yoda beat Dooku,thats why he attacked Anakin and Obi Wan while he was still dueling Yoda. He needed to distract him so he could flee!

Yoda and Sidious is a different story because they are both pretty much tied but Sidious is more ruthless and aggressive because he's a sith,he has better chances.

Yoda could've easily pwned Dooku, if he hadn't been like ''LOOK OVER THERE!'' and ran while Yoda was busy helping his comrads.

20. SBD-518

SBD-518 Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 10, 2005
    Sidious is stronger. He disposed of Tyrannus because he needed someone more powerful. So he took Tyrannus' murderer. There's an odd symmetry about it all.

21. WEEBACCA

Mar 4, 2004
    Sidious is no doubt more powerful than Dooku, but I'm not so sure that he'd beat Dooku in pure lightsaber combat. It would be very even in any case. IMO that is... :)

22. Newone

Newone Jedi Youngling

Dec 11, 2005
    i think sidious is more powerful overall but dooku's skills with a lihtsaber are better.i still think the odds are with sidious in a fight because of his force powers

23. Count-Tyranus

Count-Tyranus Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 7, 2005
    Dooku fled because that was his intent from the beginning. Yoda and Dooku fought to no advantage. Dooku surely knew that the place would be swarming with clones soon (he was right) and had to postpone the fight until later to escape with the Death Star plans. Not only that, Dooku knew the Jedi never fight fair and would bring in more Jedi, perhaps Mace.

Dooku was fully ready to battle Yoda to the death on Vjun until, again, the cheating Jedi had to stack the odds.

24. Hypernova

Hypernova Jedi Youngling star 2

May 29, 2005
    Sidious would triumph over Dooku anyday.

25. Rossa83

Rossa83 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 8, 2005
    Do you mean that Dooku could have killed Yoda? That he is stronger than Yoda? I don't think so... the duel showed Yoda being in control... He had no problem deflecting or absorbing Dooku's force powers

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.