main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Watch out there is an Aussie near . . .

Discussion in 'German Speaking FanForce' started by I_am_Kooky, Jul 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I_am_Kooky

I_am_Kooky Sth Aust. Chapter Representative star 4

Jun 28, 2004
    Kooky's a Coming!

Hi!
    I am Kooky, I am Australian and I am doing a Europe Tour.
    I plan on coming through Germany between the 18th of October and the 22th Of October 2008. Theses dates are not rock solid yet.

I am not to sure on what to see and do as of yet, but I was hoping I could meet you guys for a day, and maybe you can offer some ideas on what to see and do in Germany as the local opinion is the best.

(doing a similar Message to all Fan Force country's I plan to visit.)

2. MacCaffrey

MacCaffrey VIP star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 25, 2000
    Welcome Kooky! :)

Which cities do you want to visit?

I am Florian. :)

3. I_am_Kooky

Jun 28, 2004
    Well, I am not sure, I know very little about Germany and think local opinion is best. I suppose I would do the touristy stuff, cause sadly I will be a tourist.

But mostly I would love to met up with you guys, individually or as a group. Also as a 19 year whimp, that I am, I don't know the language so I am kinda worried about that.

I am Emma by the way!

4. morrison85

morrison85 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 13, 2005
    Then don't forget to visit Hamburg, it is a really nice place, it may be a bit cold but if youre in Ireland right now you might be already used to central european summers.

and it is even colder in Autumn.

5. Skiara

Skiara ~• RSA FFC •~ star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 5, 2002
    Why do post always vanish when they have been long... [face_plain]
    Ok, then again...

There are four cities which are interesting for tourists: Berlin, Munich, Hamburg and Cologne.

I can't say much about Munich, because I never really been there, but it's said to be expensive.
    Berlin is overrated, maybe interesting for tourists because of a bit of sightseeing, but in my view it's not a nice city.
    Hamburg is a lot better, because there are some interesting place, but I would suggest to meet up with a local person to get to know the city because of the limited time.

And then, there's Cologne. But what shall I say about it? I live there and I love it. It's a nice and interesting city with lots of inside stories and details, which can be told and described very well by Flo/MacCaffrey. Plus you can meet up with up to four people without big plannings, since three of us live in or very close to Cologne and one just needs to take the train for 30 minutes.

So, you know what my advice is without saying it, right, Emma? ;)

6. Cem_Fel

Cem_Fel Jedi Master star 4

Mar 14, 2006
    Hello Emma, I'm Kiki :)

What are you most interested in? Museums? Old towns? Just sightseeing?

I agree with Morri, Hamburg is a very beautiful town and has a lot to offer, Hannover is a beautiful one, too.

7. MsLanna

MsLanna Jedi Master star 6

Jul 8, 2005
    Come to Bielefeld, it doesn't exist.:rolleyes:
    Okay, it does, but I wouldn't call it a place of great touristic interest. We got a muesum, a castle and - erm a university?

Okay, forget Bielefeld, got to Cologne.

8. morrison85

May 13, 2005
    In my opinion Berlin is really overrated, and I have no Idea why it has been popular in recent days. Munich is actually ok, i wa sthere on a classtrip. The olympia stadium has some cool architecture though.

as said Hamburg is nice, especially if you like a harbour .or a lake within the heart of the city :) Even if you like a city whcih has a lot of bridges (2500)

9. ChimealHeltei

ChimealHeltei Jedi Master star 5

Feb 13, 2001
    Hey, Berlin is a nice city, that's what at least is my opinion. And people are much nicer in Berlin than in Hamburg. Hamburg's people are a little bit "kühl", you know? ;)

10. Jaina_Mirax

Jaina_Mirax Ex CR North-Germany and GSFF RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 25, 2000
    whatever michi...

11. I_am_Kooky

Jun 28, 2004
    Suppose I would be mostly into old buildings and train rides, and meeting FF people :p :)

12. Jaina_Mirax

Jaina_Mirax Ex CR North-Germany and GSFF RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 25, 2000
    old buildings... Lübeck, Celle, Rothenburg ob der Tauber, Weimar, Dresden, Leipzig hmmm...

trains are the best way to get around anyway. the most scenic route I know, is along the river Rhine. Starting in Cologne going south.

13. morrison85

May 13, 2005
    [face_not_talking] [face_not_talking]

14. Alethia

Alethia Jedi Master star 5

Feb 13, 2005
    I like Berlin. What made me come study here is that it's so big and international, and it's got a great public transportation system that runs all night long, unlike in Heidelberg, Stuttgart or Karlsruhe (all places near where my parents were). I grew up in Los Angeles, so most places are too small for me- like Tübingen, which is a lovely city, but I need a big city.

Bremen is not beautiful at all. I've never been to Hamburg or Hannover outside of the train station, but I've heard they're very nice. Heidelberg is beautiful, so is Tübingen. Dresden is nice. Never been to München. Münster's nice, and I've heard good things about Köln, though I've never been there myself. I liked Oldenburg, Rostock isn't very nice, Wilhelmshaven isn't that great either. If you're into old buildings, I suggest trying places that don't have much damage from the world wars. Weimar is very nice, we used to live near it. I'd personally say try to get to Berlin- not because of all the tourist attractions, but there are some great museums here, and stuff. Most tourists go see the main sights (Siegesäule, Rathaus, Dom, Brandenburger Tor, etc.) and go shopping (Kurfürstendamm and Friedrichstr.). Not that they're not worth seeing once, but there are other things to see and do here as well, away from the tourists. And the people are like people in every other city- some are nice and some are pains.

It's easy to get around with a train, though it can be costly. The best would be to get a Wochenendeticket, or a ticket that you can ride more than once on. You can't take the fast trains, but it's much cheaper. And you get to see the scenery.

15. ChimealHeltei

ChimealHeltei Jedi Master star 5

Feb 13, 2001
    Haha, jetzt schau se Dir an! [face_laugh] ;)

16. I_am_Kooky

Jun 28, 2004
    Awesome!! Its so exciting! I am so looking forward to comeing.

I am coming to, I think Cologne was the place to visit most GSFFers, Should we organise a day so that I can meet most of you? or would anyone like to show me around. (just for the fun of it)!

places to visit -
    - Cologne Cathedral
    - Neuschwanstein
    - Berlin Wall.
    where appently in the top ten things to do. . .

17. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    So you're planning to go to three different places? :)

It would be great, if we can meet. What do you think about one day at the weekend? :)

18. morrison85

May 13, 2005
    Go to the fishmarkt in Hamburg at 6 O clock in the morning on a sunday. Theres lots of stuff to get + live music.

19. I_am_Kooky

Jun 28, 2004
    Well I hope to do as much as I can. . . 3 things, and I am in Germany for 4 days I think so . . .with the Meet as well thats one thing a day, which dosent sound so bad. . . :)

Of course I have no idea about travel times between these places. . .I spend spare time on the net now (with 9 weeks left) to work out a rough time and place guide that way I don't waste to much time while I am out and about looking for things to do. I have plenty of space to be flexible as well.

Maybe, would it be possible to stay at some ones house, like just for a night, on the couch, out side with the dog, something. If not thats cool, but it would be nice :) (I know you dont know me from a bar of soap, but I am as clean as one. I have not been banned from Scotland or England, so I take that as a good sign! :p )

20. I_am_Kooky

Jun 28, 2004
    Hi guys,

Kooky Confirming that She is coming to Germany in 6 weeks is it?

I will be in this great country on the (from France via train) 18th of Oct, and Leaving (up to Denmark, on the train) on the 23rd.
    so thats over the weekend, and through till Thursday. Any of these day We could do a met some where some how. I am taking the train all around the place. Name the city and day and I will do my best to make it. PM me for my (Irish) mobile number, and I really look forward to meeting you guys

In about 4 weeks, I will have my travel plans up (in the EU General) and most plans are fixable so yeah. . .

*dances around in excitement*

21. I_am_Kooky

Jun 28, 2004
    HI all, . . .

I have a vague idea of the travel plans through Germany.

Day 20 = (19/Oct) = 11:59am Brussels = 2:15pm Koln. (with proper accents and spelling. . .)
    Day 22 = (21/Oct) = Kolh to Frankfurt via Mainz and Koblenz. (times still to be found)
    Day 23 = (22/Oct) = 1:13pm Frankfurt = 5:20pm Berlin.
    Day 25 = (24/Oct) = 3:22pm Berlin = 10:11pm Kobenhaven.

So, . . .The first and Last train time there is what I plan to stick to. In between is really flexible, to come and meet people and stay in places longer. although its only 5 days in Germany when it was meant to be a week. So I do really hope to come and meet you guys at some point on this trip.

*Emma, dives back into the train time table, to to be heard from again, for a while*

Cheers!

22. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    So, you'll be in Köln on Sunday, Monday and Tuesday, right? I should have some time on Sunday (if I'm not meeting a friend to learn together, but I hope to be able to move that appointment), otherwise Monday would be a good day as well. But I don't know what'll work for Flo, Senny and Rosa.

Do you know where you'll stay?

23. darth_frared

darth_frared Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 24, 2005
    berlin isn't overrated, it's awesome [face_not_talking]

and i hope you're having fun, dear!

24. morrison85

May 13, 2005
    Berlin is highly overrated .

25. Alethia

Alethia Jedi Master star 5

Feb 13, 2005
    Berlin is awesome.

I've been living here for two years now and I'm still discovering new things to see and do.

Have you made any plans yet in Berlin? Do you know where you're staying?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.