main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Weak Fanbase in the San Joaquin Valley??

Discussion in 'Archive: Fresno, CA' started by Jirin_Raman, Jun 5, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jirin_Raman

Jirin_Raman Jedi Master star 4

Apr 6, 2002
    I was discussing this with a co-worker today at work, and with DSGeorge recently:

Is there not much of a "hardcore" fanbase here in the San Joaquin?

The first time that it really came to my attention was at the Midnight showing @ Edwards. Perhaps I got my hopes too high, but it did not seem like there were all that many people in costume. Don't get me wrong, I don't feel that dressing up in costume is the end-all, tell-all of a "hardcore" fan, but I'm used to seeing droves of fans, with their robes or armor, and lightsabers, waiting outside the theatre. This is what you see in the LA area, the Bay Area, and all over the news. I expected more when I went to Edwards. The 501st Garrison came to Merced for the Friday, 5/17 showing, but, they were the only folks in costume (Outside of DSGeorge and his girlfriend, of course ;) ). For the Modesto Midnight showing, there apparently were people in Stormtrooper armor, running around town. But that is all I heard of. I know that we here in this forum would consider ourselves "hardcore", but what do the rest of you think about the state of the Valley's Star Wars fanbase??

2. DarksiderGeorge

DarksiderGeorge Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 29, 2002
    I would agree with you Jirin, there are not many "hardcores" in the valley in general. It is safe to say that our friends here at the forums are the "elite" of the Star Wars fanbase. BTW, Jirin perhaps you would be so kind as to post some of the pics of the Merced event to the Fresno boards and also on the costuming boards? Jedi Finney, would you like to see the pics we took of you and your girlfriend at the Edwards premiere?

As a side note,lets start a thread in which we discuss the Force and if there is anyone who can wield it in some fashion. I personally believe in the Force. I have witnesses that claim that I have used it before. You would be suprised what the Force can achieve, or for the True Believers, maybe you wouldnt be suprised.......

3. Jedi-Finney

Jedi-Finney Jedi Master star 4

Mar 22, 2001
    i would consider myself a 'hardcore' fan. but there is only one of me. and valens is as much of a fan as i am, hey, i got him into it! and i was also very dissapointed with the midnight showing, i was imagining that everyone would be dressed up, and i at least wanted to see a storm trooper and a full darth vader... one of these days i'm going to teleport myself off of this rock, into a city with 100% starwars fans!

4. Sparticus

Sparticus Jedi Youngling star 1

May 1, 2002
    I was shocked that there werent anybody around about noon on the 16th - I had nobody to hang out with!!! Well, I've said it before and I'll say it again: Fresno is one messed up town!! Maybe we should plan some sort of fan gathering and wander around in costume all day and freak people out by having big lightsaber battles and stuff!!! :D

I also belive in the Force, I can use it to an extent, mostly some mild empathic stuff that I don't have any controll over.

5. DarksiderGeorge

Apr 29, 2002
    Ironically, little ol' Merced had a decent showing from the 501st Imperial Garrison. If you guys want some pics I took from it, Jirin may be so kind as to accomodate such requests.

6. Jedi-Finney

Mar 22, 2001
    i'd like to see those pics... is there anyone from the 501'st here in fresno? i doubt it...

7. Jirin_Raman

Apr 6, 2002
    Give me a few days, I'll scan them and get them hosted first, then I'll post 'em on here. Maybe by the weekend, if not, then this weekend for sure.

8. jedivalens

jedivalens Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 2, 2001
    i too was a little disappointed of the lack of "hardcore" fans at the premier. WTF? I know there are people otu there. Don't be embarassed! I believe the ones that post here on these boards ARE the hardcore fans. I know there are others............

9. Jedi-Finney

Mar 22, 2001
    they must be hiding or something... come out come out, where ever you are!

10. Jirin_Raman

Apr 6, 2002
    Although I agree with DSGeorge that Merced had a better fanbase showing with the 501st being at the local theatre, sadly, not many (if any at all) of those people are from Merced. On a semi-related topic, did anyone read the post about making an official chapter in the area? What did you guys think of it?

11. DarksiderGeorge

Apr 29, 2002
    A chapter would be cool, As we are scattered around the Valley it would be important to make the meetings count. Im not sure what the format usually is.

12. Jirin_Raman

Apr 6, 2002
    I sent a PM to Elan-Rai, to get the information necessary to start a chapter. I in no way committed to starting one, though. Awaiting Jedi-Finney & Jedi-Valens's replies on the issue. ;)

13. Jedi-Finney

Mar 22, 2001
    yeah, i've wanted to start a fanforce ever since i got onto the boards! but there just isnt enough people here :(

14. jedivalens

Apr 2, 2001
    I think a FanForce would be awesome......but....unless we get more people on these boards, it wont happen.

15. Sparticus

May 1, 2002
    A local chapter would rock!! We'd be small but mighty... much like the Rebel Alliance ;)

16. Jirin_Raman

Apr 6, 2002
    We'll have a "large" group of about 5 people!! I will continue reading the FanForce requirements, and hopefully, someday, we'll be able to put together our very own Empire! [face_devil]

EDIT: Missing punctuation!

17. Jedi-Finney

Mar 22, 2001
    i've read all that stuff... i dont know if there is a 'minimum requirement' or not... should ask jasman, hes from fresno, i met him at target... he should know everything cause hes a vip, or a mod, or something...

18. Jirin_Raman

Apr 6, 2002
    The "main" requirement I saw on the FanForce site was that you have to meet at least 3 times. That was as far as I've gotten thus far. I'll look up jasman, and ask some questions.

19. ID4382

ID4382 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 12, 2002
    I'll Speak up for us San Joaquin and Stanislaus folks, we do have a good following, we have a 501st garrison, and soon a Rebel Legion garrison, however, for Modesto, where I live, and with GL having been born here, I am really disappointed...I admit, were weak, but the more that join our ranks, the more decide to come out of the closet. SO, were getting there....

20. Sparticus

May 1, 2002
    Maybe we should start our own website, I've been running into other fans but, frankly, if you're not web literate, this place is a little hard to find. *shrugs* With our own site, we can just say 'hey, go here, this is where we hang out and stuff' and jot down the url.

21. Sock_Hunter

Sock_Hunter Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 4, 2002
    A website would be an excellent idea. Many FanForces have their own websites (the Phoenix one is unfortunately down).

TO BECOME A FANFORCE: (1) Plan at least three meetings; (2) Tell the RSA about each meeting at least one week in advance; (3) Have at least three people present at each meeting. Viola, you become an official FanForce.

22. ID4382

ID4382 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 12, 2002
    well, I am website literate, and would be willing to talk about getting something started, it is unfortunate the mid central valley, like Modesto, Stockton, Manteca, Tracy, Ripon, Turlock, Escalon and other surrounding communities need to travel to either Fresno or Sacramento to be apart of anything, when there seems like plenty of intrest. anyone, feel free to PM me or just e-mail me, joelmartinccc@att.net if ya want to talk about starting something!!

Joel

23. Jirin_Raman

Apr 6, 2002
    Looks like we have some genuine numbers assembling here......Should we start planning gatherings??

24. Sparticus

May 1, 2002
    Sounds good to me :) The next time I'm home, I'll post something at the library to see if there are, in fact, other Shaver Lake Star Wars Junkies.

25. jedivalens

Apr 2, 2001
    i think a gathering would be good. there seems to be more people then before.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.