main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

SWRPF Archive Welcome to the RPF Community Centre! v2.0(Newcomers; please read...)

Discussion in 'Star Wars Role Playing Archive' started by Protege-of-Thrawn, Sep 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Protege-of-Thrawn

Protege-of-Thrawn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 14, 2001
    RPF COMMUNITY CENTRE v2.0!

Welcome one and all to the Role Playing Forum, one of the newest forum's on the JC and certainly one of the most fun and zany places on the internet!

The purpose of this forum is to create and participate in forms of "RPG" threads, wherein users assume characters in a fictional universe using a method known as "simming".

As the term suggests, simming is simply a form of "simulation", where all aspects - or maybe only a few - of the Galaxy far, far away are explored.

Below you'll find some handy links to relevant areas of the forum, and some important information for you to get started.

Above all, have heaps of fun, try and push your creatvity to the limit, and never hesitate to send a PM to either myself or a forum regular you may know for a bit of advice or help. We're all only too happy to help out. :)

Good Luck!

For some of the Rules and Regulations we adhere to in this forum, please be sure to read this thread: [link=http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=11511147][b]PLEASE READ![/b][/link]

Sometimes one of the hardest things in getting into a new forum - particularly the RPF - is getting to know such a tight knit group and becoming one with them. Although I'm sure our forum regulars will tell you it's worth it, it can still be difficult to get to know people and get a "feel" of the forum.

Accordingly, our Social thread is a good place to start interacting with and meeting with people! Come and meet us at [link=http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=11564641][b]Hooper McFinney's Bar and Grille![/b][/link]

Perhaps you've had a good look around the Forum, and are wondering how best to get your OWN fledgling RPG started! Perhaps you don't even KNOW where to start!

Well if you need an example, you need look no further. If you nod when I ask the question "need inspiration?", Then be sure to check out one of the original RPGs in the RPF for ideas on how to organise your RPG: [link=http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=5045510][b]War of the Galaxies I[/b][/link]

So you've got a feel for what to expect from an RPG, but now you've made your own and want to get it off the ground, or perhaps are looking for one to join yourself! If flicking through other RPGs seems a bit daunting, then try out the [link=http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=7879350&replies=66]RPF Introductory Service![/link]

[hr]

Interested in just getting RIGHT into the Role Playing and not buggering around with making you're own?
    Wondering WHICH RPG is going to provide the best entertainment?
    Interesting in getting STRAIGHT into some of the most action packed and popular Role Playing the RPF has to offer? Check out our RPG of the Month!: [link=http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=9687117]Balance of Power.[/link]

[hr]

Well, there you have it! Hope you enjoy the RPF, and become part of and contribute to our ever expanding and friendly community.

This thread will act as a [b]Community Centre[/b], a place in the RPF for people to trade ideas, swap concepts, and help bounce off each other to formulate new RPGs.

For information from the former thread, click here: [link=http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=8441894]RPF Community Centre v1.0[/link].

So without further delay, enjoy the new thread, and all the forum has to offer. :)

[hr]

[b]ANNOUNCEMENTS:[/b]

- The new banner will be up within a few weeks. Until then, it's a big secret. ;)

- The RPF awards will be held again soon, so get you're votes ready and your RPGing polished. [face_mischief]

2. KnightHawk

KnightHawk Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 17, 2003
    I'm more than happy to second PoT's notion of helping people here. If anyone wants any help with something, I'm just a PM away and more than glad to help out in any way I can, and I also hope to see everyone having loads of fun here.

3. Diverjkc

Diverjkc Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 9, 2002
    I will be more than happy to help anyone with storyline questions. I also have a wide array of recorces at my fingertips for anyone that needs information on ships, weapons, or the different races in the Star Wars universe. You can ask me anything about Star Wars, on the rare chance I don't know the answer, I know people that do.

4. exodus411

exodus411 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 13, 2003
    Creator of the RPF Awards reporting in!

I too will help anyone in need.

5. Syrix_Kahl

Syrix_Kahl Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 25, 2001
    Speaking of ideas...

I've been thinking about something quite a bit recently. On and off. Not just in terms of this forum. It's been an amalgamation of many ideas that's been running rampant through my head.

I know PoT dreams of a flagship RPG for the forum, and as I understand, BoP is a very good game - it's not something I've had the pleasure of experiencing myself (yet) but anyway, that doesn't prevent me from putting across my thoughts. Now I don't mean to be proud or boastful or whatever you may read into this, however, I will state my opinion on a few matters and that may not go down too well.

Tough cookies, life doesn't always go down well, and at the end of the day, it's just one man's opinion about a game, so don't take anything too badly.

Anyway, enough dilly-dallying around and on with the show. Ladies and Gentlemen of the RPF I present to you:

The Role Playing Universe.

It can me more or less summed up as a text-based MORPG. Something akin to Everquest or Galaxies (or whatever that Star Wars game was/is called... as I understand, it's about as much fun as any MMORPG and involves hitting a lot of rats with stuff for a long time so that you can one day kill a Bantha and then maybe get yourself off the forsaken dust bowl of an Outer Rim Planet and explore the galaxy...)

So anyway, my point is: creating a game is good. Most games in the forum have some sort of central storyline, something for all the players to focus on. Some of the bigger games have a large conflict at the centre of the story, often made up of numerous different threads, thereby linking larger numbers of players together. And then the really good ones have a few nice plot twists, or unexpected outcomes.

However, and this is the way I see things, these epic tales tend to get swept up in one, maybe two, major story arcs and everything just snowballs into a, possibly, climactic finish.

Also, if I remember correctly, some of the earlier WOTG games seemed to be in a rush to have a climactic ending as the thread reached it's optimal maximum capacity. Why? For what reason? To propel the moving storyline? To a degree, yes. But also for a feeling to wholeness to the thread. So that it was like a chapter in a book, or a mini Star Wars movie in it's own right.

And don't even get me started on battles.

Anyway, this is where the Role Playing Universe is different.

So we've got a whole universe to explore. I mean, the books and movies cover about half of one galaxy right, more or less... Now I know we can do better than that. The idea is that the RPU would be a sort of Persistant World (such as Everquest or SW:G). That is: stuff happens. No matter whether you post or not, stuff is going to go down.

Now I know this sort of thing already goes on. If someone doesn't post, all the other players (more or less) keep on playing, but what I'm talking about is having a few different GM's looking after different aspects. Maybe have a GM in charge of Smuggling and Hunting. Someone who's in charge of providing NPC bounties to the player hunters, or a good deal on spice for the smugglers, as well as controlling a few NPC smugglers and hunters who may very well get the job done before the players. Then we could have one or two people looking after the political arena and the activities of major factions (Empire and Alliance, etc). Have another GM who looks after combat, etc, etc, etc.

Now I know it's a big idea, but that's what it's all about. So the games running pretty nicely, the Alliance and the Empire a duke-ing it out while an alien fleet arrives in the Delta Quadrant (formerly the Unknown Regions).

And I suppose therin lies another gripe. GM's not doing their job. You want to make a really great game? You need to mix it up a bit, throw some curve balls, put something in there that'll make the players stop and think a bit before they make their next move. GM's are allowed to be evil and they're allowed to break their own rules, just so long as the players don't realise :D
    Anyway, that comment's not directed at anyo

6. Diverjkc

Diverjkc Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 9, 2002
    Sounds like an interesting idea. It would require a massive effort on the part of the GMs and the players, and a lot of reading of bad typing (no, I am not pointing fingers). If this gets off the ground, I volunter for a GM spot, probably political or criminal. Please, keep us updated on the progress of this.

7. DarthSeti5

DarthSeti5 Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 6, 2001
    I would hate to sound anything but nice, but I don't know if that idea is anywhere near feasible. It seems SO unwieldy not only for the RPG format but for the RPF itself. Some threads come close to that(WOTG, BOP, etc.), but I'm not sure such a thing--an RPU--would ever be susstainable on the RPF. This is just coming from my experience here as a player, GM, and lurker. I'm not saying that's definitive, I'm just applying what I've seen here in the past.

~ DS5

8. Syrix_Kahl

Mar 25, 2001
    I agree that this idea doesn't have great odds on the feasibility scale. That's why I want to see who here likes it first.

Also, please note, the RPU wouldn't have to be an original creation, as such. If a current game would like to volunteer itself as the RPU, then I'd be happy to work with that.

All that is required now is a show of interest in what can be described as an ever changing game universe. And anyone who would be interested in helping make that a realilty for the RPF.

9. Protege-of-Thrawn

Protege-of-Thrawn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 14, 2001
    I'm always of the philosophy of "give it a go first" and then if it doesn't work out, well, at least we've attempted something special.

I'd be willing to facilitate any people willing to work on such a project, but would of course echo the warnings that it will be anything but easy.

10. LightSide_Apprentice

LightSide_Apprentice Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 22, 2001
    Syrix_Kahl, Don't take this the wrong way, but I'm trying to do something similar (at least on some levels) with the Balance of Power's sequel. My own ideas have come from some things I have heard in my time at the RPF, ever since its creation. As DarthSeti5 said, some RPGs do try to accomodate for what you have said. It is progressive however, and something as big as what you suggest doesn't happen overnight. WotG is an example of a step in that direction, and relates to what Protege-of-Thrawn said himself. Ideas are usually worth trying out. Whether you realise it or not, games such as the WotG (and the ideas behind it) are a step toward experimenting with an RPG on the scale that you suggest. Yes, multiple threads and GMs would be neccessary. I'm sure you don't need me to explain the types of problems that might occur, but those same probelms can occur in many smaller RPGs anyway. Ultimately I think anything's possible. The key to the success of any idea is commitment. One can't just say they will dedicate time and work hard. Words are empty without action. I think the success, or failure, will be highly dependent on both the GM(s) and the pleyers, but there are always other influencing factors that are difficult to accomodate for (such as timing, availability, 'real world' commitments etc.) Anyway, I've probably gone off topic. Hopefully some of my words are of value to anyone who reads them. :)

11. Ben_Skywalker

Ben_Skywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 20, 2001
    I had a similar idea when I first proposed the RPF. But after the RPF was created, the idea was put aside because DA thought it was unfeasable. That was, of course, a different time period for the RPF.

If there's enough interest now, i'll try to find the time to help out as much as I can. :)

12. Juno_Epsilon

Juno_Epsilon Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 28, 2002
    4/1 11:32pm ... Think It's time for me to do somthing again.

This is the last time I posted anywhere on the RPF. The last time I spoke a word to many of the RPF people but now I would like to help start this new "masterpiece" Of a RPG seeing as there really is nothing left of what I was doing 5 months ago with any of the RPG.

With the help of anyone, I would like to be apart of this Comunity Project, seeing as I have nothing to do ;)

Mod willing :p

....oh ya and disregard my sig... if they haven't changed... they are kinda outdated...

13. greyjedi125

greyjedi125 Chosen One star 6

Apr 29, 2002
    Words have been spoken and ideas shared. Now let words be put into action, so that those visionaries that are willing to commit to the task, may see the fruit of their labour...an idea born into reality. ;)

Count me in.

14. Syrix_Kahl

Mar 25, 2001
    Well, it's been a while since I said anything here, and there has been some more positive response in that time.

It looks to me like there are enough people out there willing to give this a go, so I'm going to run with it.

LSA says he wants to head in a similar direction, of sorts, with the IBoP. Now since I'm such a nice guy, and since I've got quite a few assignments coming up, and there are also far too many good games being released over the next month which will undoubtedly demand my attention, I'm not going to start doing anything concrete. Yet.

If what I've heard is true, then by this time next month, the IBoP should be well and truely underway. If I think the game is doing most of what I want to do, then so be it.

Anyway, I've not forgotten about this. Thank you to everyone who volunteered themselves to help out. If I do go through with this then you will all be welcomed aboard whole-heartedly.

Happy Gaming.

15. LightSide_Apprentice

LightSide_Apprentice Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 22, 2001
    Sounds like a fair plan to me. It will be most interesting to see what the future holds ... for us all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.